Nationwide Strike Halts All Trains

george

"Amazing country we will live, what is next ... 1 day tourist visa's on your transit way to another not so crazy country?"

Not only that-- don't forget to buy your re-entry permit at the local immigration office for 1900 Baht before you depart, because they won't sell you one at the border.

Fascinating to watch a once promising 3rd world country transcend into an entirely new category -- a 4th World Country! . . . :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh great! :D

I use the train exclusively to and from Bangkok central from Hua Take.

So whats the difference?

7 Baht by train 42 min :D

30 Baht by buss 2hours sometimes more :)

150 Baht by Van sometimes 1 hour some times 3 hours depends on traffic and weather :D

Taxi 350 :D

Oddly enough I stand with the workers of the SRT. :D

Oh well guess I could take a chance on the van but then if it rains and is a payday weekend :D

Or stay home :D

7 baht? Now I guess we know how they could be US$2,000,000,000 in debt. Crap, even I could probably build whole new railways with new trains for that much money. Especially if I used Burmese labor.

Amazing Thailand.

Edited by johnefallis

Privatising rail services is just such a great way of improving the railways as such illustrious examples as the UK show. :)

Go, SRT, Go!!! :D

It's all about the money both for bosses and unions.

The unions are worried the restructuring will remove the guys

that they have sweetheart deals and kickbacks with,

and those guys don't want change either,

so are not against the disruption.

It is similar in most countries, but less pervasive come divestiture time.

UK is a glaring example of it going bad,

AMTRACK in N.E. USA is not near as bad

and the French ran an amazingly fine rail system.

The way Thailand's is run, privatizing but regulated, may be a vast improvement.

Heck they couldn't do WORSE than the current situation. Could they?

I have taken the train three times in seven years. Two times too many. The first was a novelty whilst travelling. The last time, the 'express' train took 16.5 hours from Ayuthaya to Chiang Mai. The first class sleeper is barely different from second class sleeper and a lot more money. Better off taking the VIP 24 or 32 seat buses which average 9 hours with food and drinks included. Of course, if you are in a rush, the plane is always a good option.

I have often taken the sleeper both to Chiang Mai and Hat Yai. It's travelling in a bygone era. It was very pleasant and a great way to travel if you have time. The dinning car is the best bit about the whole experience. However, I'm sure it needs to be upgraded in terms of efficiency and captial injection - staff sleeping on the floors of the dinning car really isn't appealing. Power to the workers :)

I don't see why people would go on strike and demonstrate if they (private sector/government sector) are creating a win - win situation. People have eyes to see what is going on. People no longer just shut up and close one eyes anymore.

Often (not always), there are win - lose situation created on the pretext of "we need to balance the situation". very often winning party is not the employees!!

<deleted>?

Privatising rail services is just such a great way of improving the railways as such illustrious examples as the UK show. :)

I know it's a popular charge, but I do not agree that the UK railways are worse post-privatisation. The fare system is rubbish sure, but there are now many more trains and they are more punctual (sorry can't quote the sources but recent stats and surveys say that). Privatisation cannot be any worse than the current state system in Thailand. It's attrocious - 4.5 hours to Hua Hin (two of those getting to a station only 50k from the centre of Bangkok) and 9 hours to Ubon.

Trouble is that privatisation always results in fare increases because the state previously has not had the balls to (a) charge an economic rate for the journey and (:D make road users pay for the economic/environmental cost of charging around in their own personal transport.

[Declared interests: I like railways and part of my career was spent privatising them in the UK]

Here we go again, restoring confidence into the tourism sector. Maybe they could be bothered to clean the trains while they all sit there going nowhere. Truthfully I'm surprised the train and its tracks are still functional as I have not seen one single improvement done to the railway system since I rode the the train the first time years ago, seems it gets dirtier every year.

Having just ventured off into Malaysia this year they have one of the most beautiful central railway stations in the world and are soon to open high speed rail all the way from Singapore to the border at Hat Yai in Thailand.

Can I asked where you got the information about Malaysia's high speed link. I did an internet search and the only recent reference I could find was this

"There is a bullet train project at 300 km/h (186 mph) proposed to link Kuala Lumpur and Singapore, proposed by current Malaysian operator KLIA Express YTL Corporation, which links Kuala Lumpur with the KLIA. It would be the first transborder high speed line outside of Europe if built. Travel time would be 90 minutes, compared with 4 hours of highway drive, 7 hours currently by standard rail, 2 hours of flight including commuting to and from airport, check in and boarding. Talks of a Bangkok - Kuala Lumpur - Singapore line spanning the 3 nations have been suggested previously, though no action has been taken.

Plans for project were shelved due to high cost that the government would have to bear. The project also faces opposition from rail operator rivals such as Keretapi Tanah Melayu."

My bad, poor choice of terms. The current train known as "The Commuter" that now travels from KL to Ipoh will be in service to the Thai border, at least that is what I understood from asking while I was there. While this is not a Bullet Train it is high speed compared to the Thai rail system. I saw with my own eyes the concrete foundation being poured with gravel being laid over it and rail line between Panang and the border. I'm not sure how fast a train this line can handle as I'm not a engineer and have not seen the specs, however it is a very modern system. Overall the trains in Malaysia are fantastic compared to Thailand, based on my travels there.

Right now SRT can balance their train operations with profits from renting their land.

What will happen if these two businesses are separated?

Is there any way to improve train services without jacking up the prices to the point that no one can afford them anymore?

For now it's practically a free service for the poor. What will happen to them? Does the country really need top notch trains for the vast majority of its passengers?

amazing is all I can really say....

i think its a good thing that the SRT employees stand against yet another shady privatisation of a state entreprise ..... mind the vinegar pissers, that the trains , although the cars are old , is one of the best way of transportation in thailand , that the employees are perfect , the sheets in the sleeping cars are clean , and that most sleeping cars have been refurbished after THAI passengers complained of bed bugs ( of course , an inevitable racist one braincelled MP from peua thai blamed it on the farangs , once again ) when it has been proved that bed bugs are inevitable if the matresses are not changed regularly and are not brought by humans but by heat and hydrometric conditions... of course the more dead skin the more food fro them )

and the tourism being already dead , this news will not even make it overseas anyway ( appart from thaivisa relaying it )

To be fair to Peua Thai (which is not something I ever thought I'd say :) ), the bedbugs coming from farangs theory was put forward by an entomologist from Kasetsart U., who argued that the problem was that farang do not shower (she is obviously a sociologist specializing in the hygiene habits of different ethnic/racial groups in her spare time :D )

My sympathy for the travelers

Came back from Samui by train 8 months ago with my Daughter, thought she would enjoy the journey.

From the hotel in Chewang to home in Sukhumvit 29 hours door to door

Nightmare!.....but she had fun

So what. Why haven't you check that pre that journey?

Done that countless times before and it was alright considering costs.

Going back to oz soon, and the fares on the privately built rail sections to both Brisbane and Sydney airports will cost me about the same as a fan-class sleeper from Surat to Bangkok.

Efficient management doesn't have to be private, and the goal of private management changes from best service to highest profit, even if that means sticking it to the customers and the workers.

If you don't like the train, you can fly at 10 times the price, or take a bus and end up a road toll statistic.

Yes mate ! but if you crash in the airplane, you can be sure that the driver won't run away. So you might find out what went wrong ! we all know about bus drivers..............is it the training or orders from their boss?

As to the privately owned train service from Brisbane Central to the international airport a journey of approx 15 mins will cost you $A10 plus !

My fare on the state owned railway from Brisbane Central, approx 1 hr costs me $A4.50 return and the trains are clean and air conditioned.

Thank goodness we have not gone down the same track as British Rail !

surely before a risky privatisation they should try the union proposals - now there will be a chance to put them for the public debate.

I do travel by train, mainly long distances, because they are reasonable comfortable.

Many passengers left stranded at Hua Lampong

BANGKOK: -- Many passengers were left stranded at the Hua Lampong Bankok railway station Monday morning after train workers went on strike nationwide against the operation reform plan.

The passengers said the strike caught them off guard.

Many said they would wait at Hua Lampong until the trains resume services but several heeded advice of station officials to turn to use bus services instead.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-06-22

its f... boaring the situation in Thailand Thai dont care abouth tourist shot down the train im verry mad

tourism industry doing verry bad now i think i would moove another country no Thailand annymore after 7 years in Thailand its time to moove thailang getting worst 150 baht for each transaction at the bank 15 days visa at border and Abhisit i want people to come in thailand for what yes i know for ripp of so next week or net month good bye Thailand

We all know that the railways have been grossly underfunded. The issue of supposed privatisation would be the legacy costs. These are state employees and the benefits extend far and wide.

Something has got to give. Thailand spends a disproportionate amount on logistical transport around the country because the truckers have dominated planning for ever. It is interesting to see the Dems try to sort this one out.

How come an issue like this can come completely from left field and be presented to the public as some sort of a fait accompli?

Doesn't the parliament have to debate it?

Privetisation not the way to go. Rail Track in the UK is a prime example of botched privetisation and poor private management.

It is also cheaper per mile to fly to Thailand from London than to take a train from London to Manchester before tax. The SRT employees are right and have my support.

When I was living in Bangkok, now almost 10 years ago, I used the train many times from Hua Lamphoo to the center of Bangkok.

A ticket costed a whooping 4 Baht, and it was faster than the bus.

On top of that, I could sit and not hang the whole traject at a rope.

I used the train also for most of my Visa run's to Vientanne or to Penang.

The train trip to Vientanne was an experience which I loved.

Stopping at every station, a lot of fryed chicken, fruit and drink sellers stepping on the train, and of we went to the next station.

During the trip, the train is passing the most sceneric places in Thailand.

The train to Penang (Malaysia) and to Chiang-Mai was a sleeping train.

Again one of the most beautiful trips I have ever made (except from the border control).

The sheets ware clean and the evening meal and breakfast was also very good.

The train in Thailand is the cheapest way of transportation for a lot of people who cannot afford the bus or the airplane.

I for one, I would not like to see any change in the State Railway, and surely not a privatisation.

I have seen what a privatisation did in my country.

360 days a year, the railway is working due to an action of the Unions (strike).

Abd the days they are working, they never succeedded in keeping up with the time schedule.

And the same goes for the railway in France.

Awesome, another nail in the coffin

Quite! I thought the coffin lid would be fully nailed shut by now. Maybe there's more to come?

just think what would happen if they could get them all together at the same time... train, busses, taxi's... naaahh, never happen, I keep forgetting where I am... :)

Here we go again, restoring confidence into the tourism sector. Maybe they could be bothered to clean the trains while they all sit there going nowhere. Truthfully I'm surprised the train and its tracks are still functional as I have not seen one single improvement done to the railway system since I rode the the train the first time years ago, seems it gets dirtier every year.

Having just ventured off into Malaysia this year they have one of the most beautiful central railway stations in the world and are soon to open high speed rail all the way from Singapore to the border at Hat Yai in Thailand.

you should take a bunch of photo's of the central railway stations in Malaysia, and mail them off to the Thai head of the Rail road.... p.s. don't use your real return address... :)

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh! No, not my reaction to the news but my reaction to those TV members who immediately jump on this as an excuse to yet again bash Thailand, its government, its workers, transport system etc etc etc.

For the record, I love the train and always take the 2nd class sleeper from Chiang Mai to BKK and back again. Safer than the bus by far. Lovely friendly staff, a proper clean bed to sleep on, and lots of smiley sellers at various stations along the way. Wouldn't travel any other way.

And I totally support the SRT too.

MCL

Aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhh! No, not my reaction to the news but my reaction to those TV members who immediately jump on this as an excuse to yet again bash Thailand, its government, its workers, transport system etc etc etc.

For the record, I love the train and always take the 2nd class sleeper from Chiang Mai to BKK and back again. Safer than the bus by far. Lovely friendly staff, a proper clean bed to sleep on, and lots of smiley sellers at various stations along the way. Wouldn't travel any other way.

And I totally support the SRT too.

MCL

Nothing but sympathy from me. I must say that the "levels of filth" are absolutely bearable, and the delays are to be expected on a large system of single lines.

As for private railways, ask the brits. They have extensive knowledge of such blessings.

I don't know much about the conflict between the workers and the management, but I do enjoy trains and have had some enjoyable trips in Thailand. Delays have been minor, compared to any other form of transportation--but then again, I have only used them for holidays, where time isn't too important.

Any improvements to the train will be appreciated by me, but that said, they were certainly good value for money up to now.

Oh great! :D

I use the train exclusively to and from Bangkok central from Hua Take.

So whats the difference?

7 Baht by train 42 min :D

30 Baht by buss 2hours sometimes more :)

150 Baht by Van sometimes 1 hour some times 3 hours depends on traffic and weather :D

Taxi 350 :D

Oddly enough I stand with the workers of the SRT. :D

Oh well guess I could take a chance on the van but then if it rains and is a payday weekend :D

Or stay home :D

7 baht? Now I guess we know how they could be US$2,000,000,000 in debt. Crap, even I could probably build whole new railways with new trains for that much money. Especially if I used Burmese labor.

Amazing Thailand.

How do you think the poor get around Thailand? The train of course. What's the problem if the govt subsides the railway system? There isn't a problem. In the West and Europe the govt subsides many programs at a loss. Governments are not a business depending on making a profit. It's always nice to be in the black...but that seldom ever happens. There are more poor Thais than "farang armchair expert economists". Try working a few months making a few hundred Bhat a day somewhere in Essan or wherever, then come and tell us all about the railway that you would build.

I'm for the workers and the people on this one...But there are areas that the Thais could change. They should clean up 1st Class sleepers and triple the price. Ummm....Make it truly 1st class by offering a decent menu in a separate dining car, quicker service....tax free beverages...and an observation car. I've been using trains in Thailand for years...I love them....but don't make the poor suffer...stick it to those of us that can afford it!

There were a few strikes and squeals as NSW dragged its rail practices out of the dark ages too.

All part of work culture change in the dinosaurs

:):D

Yours truly, should have been on the train to Chiang Mai tonight!

Was really looking forward to it, don't often take the train but got a return ticket, came down on the train which was great, but guess I won't be going back by train :D

No trains running at all, some very pissed off tourists at Hualampong and some just highly confused.

Opportunist taxi drivers lurking for the kill!!

With all the land of the SRT , I find it a bit dubious that they plan to separate land& assets from train services. Surely some careful leasing of land to private sector would be enough to more than subsidise train services to make some improvements.

U mad or somthing trains in UK, prices or skyhigh and keep going up.. and over crowed plus more off than on...

How do you think the poor get around Thailand? The train of course. What's the problem if the govt subsides the railway system? There isn't a problem. In the West and Europe the govt subsides many programs at a loss. Governments are not a business depending on making a profit. It's always nice to be in the black...but that seldom ever happens. There are more poor Thais than "farang armchair expert economists". Try working a few months making a few hundred Bhat a day somewhere in Essan or wherever, then come and tell us all about the railway that you would build.

I'm for the workers and the people on this one...But there are areas that the Thais could change. They should clean up 1st Class sleepers and triple the price. Ummm....Make it truly 1st class by offering a decent menu in a separate dining car, quicker service....tax free beverages...and an observation car. I've been using trains in Thailand for years...I love them....but don't make the poor suffer...stick it to those of us that can afford it!

Well said! I occasionally take the night train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and it's always been very pleasant. In a country as corrupt as Thailand the unions (and traveling public) have every reason to be wary of privatization.

I side with the workers on this one. This strike may be an inconvenience to some people but there is a lot more at stake than a train ride to Chiang Mai here. I hope they get this resolved soon and do not go forth with any privatization plans.

That sounds great! Get out of over-rated Singapore as quickly as possible, race through boring old Malaysia and then have much more quality time to spend enjoying myself is the Land of Smiles.