Tire Shop

elektrified

Where is a good auto tire and wheel shop in Chiang Mai? I remember seeing a couple of shops around but can't recall where they are. Also what brand tires are popular and reasonably priced in Thailand? The car currently has Michelin tires.

Do they balance the wheels when you buy new tires?

Thanks in advance.

On the Hang Dong road at Airport Plaza, southbound (towards Hang Dong) just after the traffic lights there is a Michelin I think on the left, and a little further down on the other side of the road at a U-turn is a Dunlop, where we got our tyres replaced recently. I don't know about rebalancing but they managed to find some extra work to do on a wheel overnight, but they offered to take us home. There are numerous car related shops on that road.

North side of town try the Michelin Man "Sai Neua Gaan Yang"? on the super, inside, between Tesco Lotus / Volvo & Kuang Sing intersection. This is not the Goodyear dealer, but the Michelin & Bridgestone guy. Highly recommended - excellent service & facilities.

I've been really happy with the Goodyear shop north of town on the Mae Rim 107, about 4 km north of the superhwy, across from the provincial gov center. There are three tire shops on the east side of the highway, this is the Goodyear shop, just south of the Cockpit store. I've used them for several years, competetive prices, good service, no surprises or games.

I just bought 4 big Bridgestone A/Ts for my 4X4 pickup, set me back 20 brown notes, but mounting, balancing and alignment was included. Cockpit wanted 300 baht more each for the same tires. I have good experience with Bridgestones but the other major brands are good too and there are some good alternative brands available for a little less that they can advise you on. don

I bought four Dunlops for my 4X4 pick-up truck today at Viang Ping Karnyang, also known as the Eagle Store, on the Superhighway near the intersection with the Maejo road. Mounting, balancing and alignment all included and tires were filled with a nitrogen mixture so they will run cooler in hot conditions. Cost 19k baht. They also offer follow-up service including free tire rotation and wheel balance every 10000 km, and free top-ups of the nitrogen mixture whenever required. Very friendly service. I was told that Dunlop has a factory in Thailand so its tire prices are cheaper than Michelin and Bridgestone due to no import taxes, but quality is similar to the other brands.

• 1 year later...

This guy took care of me quickly. Good service, great price. Thumbs up.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will use him again.

I've been really happy with the Goodyear shop north of town on the Mae Rim 107, about 4 km north of the superhwy, across from the provincial gov center. There are three tire shops on the east side of the highway, this is the Goodyear shop, just south of the Cockpit store. I've used them for several years, competetive prices, good service, no surprises or games.

I just bought 4 big Bridgestone A/Ts for my 4X4 pickup, set me back 20 brown notes, but mounting, balancing and alignment was included. Cockpit wanted 300 baht more each for the same tires. I have good experience with Bridgestones but the other major brands are good too and there are some good alternative brands available for a little less that they can advise you on. don

On the Hang Dong road at Airport Plaza, southbound (towards Hang Dong) just after the traffic lights there is a Michelin I think on the left, and a little further down on the other side of the road at a U-turn is a Dunlop, where we got our tyres replaced recently. I don't know about rebalancing but they managed to find some extra work to do on a wheel overnight, but they offered to take us home. There are numerous car related shops on that road.

Across from the Tesco lotus on Hang dong road is a cockpit and the Dunlop store. I have gotten tires at each this year, both have many brands and sizies. Price included balance as well as alignment with 4 new tires and I was very happy with the work

Theres a Michelin shop just up the Hangdong road from Airport Plaza on the lef thand side. Usually buy my tyres from there, don't know if they still do it but they used to give a voucher for 3 sessions of wheel balancing and tracking for free.

Theres a Michelin shop just up the Hangdong road from Airport Plaza on the lef thand side. Usually buy my tyres from there, don't know if they still do it but they used to give a voucher for 3 sessions of wheel balancing and tracking for free.

This place does that and more - free rotation every 8,000 km. Owner is a very nice guy...

North side of town try the Michelin Man "Sai Neua Gaan Yang"? on the super, inside, between Tesco Lotus / Volvo & Kuang Sing intersection. This is not the Goodyear dealer, but the Michelin & Bridgestone guy. Highly recommended - excellent service & facilities.

"Also what brand tires are popular and reasonably priced in Thailand?" ~ OP

Now that we have suggestions for a shop, I would be grateful to know if anyone wants to address above question? I assume 'made in Thailand' is required with regard to price, but what about price/quality? Mentioned above we have (so far) Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michelin. In the land of my birth, this can be researched by model/manufacturer, but the only thing worse than my efforts at spoken Thai is my ability to read.

I won't be needing bigger tires, but four for a Corolla. General use.

Edited by CMX

"Also what brand tires are popular and reasonably priced in Thailand?" ~ OP

Now that we have suggestions for a shop, I would be grateful to know if anyone wants to address above question? I assume 'made in Thailand' is required with regard to price, but what about price/quality? Mentioned above we have (so far) Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Michelin. In the land of my birth, this can be researched by model/manufacturer, but the only thing worse than my efforts at spoken Thai is my ability to read.

I won't be needing bigger tires, but four for a Corolla. General use.

I only have 3 observations which may help. In Europe the traditional view was that Michelins lasted longest but were the first to slide, especially in the wet. Pirellis were excellent in the wet but didn't last too long. Dunlop and Goodyear were somewhere in between these extremes.

After some decade and a half of tyre buying and driving in Thailand, I feel that Yokohamas are similar to Michelins and Bridgestone are similar to Pirellis, but last rather longer. And both are SO much cheaper of course.

Third and last, I've been vastly impressed by a pair of Goodyear Aqua-Treds I put on the front of my car when it only needed a pair, immediately before the rainy season 3 years ago. Exceptionally good in the rain and through deep standing pools.

I want some more now, but for some reason this design has been discontinued. But I saw something similar by Bridgestone on another car only last week, so I think those will be the next choice.

Happy motoring.