Where's Waldo

canuckamuck

Walking into the food court today, I was reminded why it is important to memorize what my wife is wearing when we got out in public. Glancing across the expanse of dark haired Asians with similar physical qualities. I knew that some where out there was my wife. But how do you spot your Thai missus in a crowd?

The sad part about this is, we've been married four years, and still I go through this ordeal at least every two weeks. Half of every shopping trip is a mini search party, I have noticed, that she never returns the favor and comes looking for me.

It can be bad sometimes, having no cell phone at chatachuck for example is asking for trouble. In fact I have gone home alone before and faced the consequences after the tulk tuk dropped her off. Another danger is when you think you have her in peripheral vision but you when you look over you realize your walking and sometimes talking to somebody else. I am just glad I haven't given any strangers a quick pat... :)

So what about the rest of you? are there any sure fire strategies to keep her on the radar. How about GPS?

Walking into the food court today, I was reminded why it is important to memorize what my wife is wearing when we got out in public. Glancing across the expanse of dark haired Asians with similar physical qualities. I knew that some where out there was my wife. But how do you spot your Thai missus in a crowd?

The sad part about this is, we've been married four years, and still I go through this ordeal at least every two weeks. Half of every shopping trip is a mini search party, I have noticed, that she never returns the favor and comes looking for me.

It can be bad sometimes, having no cell phone at chatachuck for example is asking for trouble. In fact I have gone home alone before and faced the consequences after the tulk tuk dropped her off. Another danger is when you think you have her in peripheral vision but you when you look over you realize your walking and sometimes talking to somebody else. I am just glad I haven't given any strangers a quick pat... :)

So what about the rest of you? are there any sure fire strategies to keep her on the radar. How about GPS?

yes, i keep the money in my pocket it work very well specialy when we go shopping

When I was a kid, my mom put me on a leash. One of those harnesses with a long lead. I had a habit of wandering off and it did work. Another option is to hire a local kid to follow your wife and to carry an identification flag as per the typical elderly asian tour group format. Better yet, consider checking yourself in to one of the clinics for pre alzheimers treatment. It's not normal to constantly lose people. Fortunately, you can still find your way home. Perhaps now is the time to consider pinning some emergency money along with important telephone numbers and your address, to your shirt...........................................

..same thing with me and the wife in Phuket at Super Cheap (super hot :) ) or Lotus..I think its part of their makeup..just wind them up and off they go...but to WHERE?? Cheers, Dean in Canuckville

thats ok. i lose my (older) kids when in crowds. im fairly short with vision that just doesnt 'see' details like faces. its happened that ive run after a girl that was exactly the copy of my duaghter, yelling to put on a sweatshirt (in the winter), only to see that it wasnt my kid. and when they are in army uniform with the short hair cut or hair pulled back, they all look the same to me. ive driven past friends' kids waiting at the hitchhike station, on the way home.

fortunately its hard to lose anon with his oriental face, in a crowd of israelis. he always finds me. and in thailand, i just sat and stayed put in the food court and waited patiently for him to find ME. (the only farang woman sitting alone not looking touristy... )

and anon has a habit of disappearing while we are hiking. find the dark short isaan hunter type squatting on a rock in a forest. he always finds us again. dont know how he does that...

bina

Thanks for my morning laugh, Canuckamuck. :):D:D

It's bad enough just being by yourself in one of the big malls. A slender Thai in a crowd can slip away faster than a cockroach down a hole. The only solution is to send them off on their own and agree to meet at a certain spot later.

yes, i keep the money in my pocket it work very well specialy when we go shopping

IF you have the money,you will still lose her but she will certainly find you just as you approach the checkout.

Buy a simple Bike Flag and attach it on her back...post-13995-1245883036_thumb.jpg

.....that'll teach her :)

LaoPo

I can't say I've ever "lost" my husband in a crowd, but it can be difficult at large family gatherings where people of his size, shape and similar facial features abound..

That said, after being in the tourism business for 20 years, all westerners start looking the same too. :)

Buy a simple Bike Flag and attach it on her back...post-13995-1245883036_thumb.jpg

LaoPo

Great idea but Thais copy each other so fast that within a few weeks everyone will be wearing Bike Flags and having no idea why.

I lose my wife shopping all the time. She justs seems to wander away or maybe its me wandering.

Although 5'4" ins't all that short, she gets behind these racks of clothing in some shops and I can't see her. :)

LaoPo

Great idea but Thais copy each other so fast that within a few weeks everyone will be wearing Bike Flags and having no idea why.

lol.. how true! :D

It will be the next big thing.. a dif color for everyday.

It reminds me this dinner one time, for the 25 years wedding anniversary of this old couple. The husband had all these nice names for his wife, "please Honey, could you pass me the salt", "sweetie, could I have some more wine", "Dear, some more dessert?". When my wife congratulated him for being so sweet after all these years, he smiled but didn't say anything. After the dinner, he came to me and said "You know what, after all these years, I still don't remember her name"

I don't appear to have the same problem with my wife when shopping as she is so slow I can usually find her where I left her - In Lotus yesterday she went straight to a rack of shorts and I went off to get the food. 20 mins later she was still at the same rack examining every garment individually. It can take her 15 mins to select onions as she has to check each one to make sure she is getting the best ones.

It reminds me this dinner one time, for the 25 years wedding anniversary of this old couple. The husband had all these nice names for his wife, "please Honey, could you pass me the salt", "sweetie, could I have some more wine", "Dear, some more dessert?". When my wife congratulated him for being so sweet after all these years, he smiled but didn't say anything. After the dinner, he came to me and said "You know what, after all these years, I still don't remember her name"

Yes I have heard a few versions of that one, some not as polite.

But it is not like we don't have a close relationship. The truth is we spend almost all of our time together. But her sense of living in the moment is quite pronounced so she will just do whatever and there is no concern at all. If we take the Motorbike, she often will be in the mall before I have even put the helmet away (I like to lock my helmet to the bike). I turn around, and the hunt is on. She says she can't wait on the street because of the sun, but that doesn't explain why she is not waiting inside when I get there. Especially since sometimes it's in a parkade. She just gets shopping, my job is to find her. When I was a kid I had a trapline and I was an avid hunter. I had no idea my tracking and spotting skills were preparing me for marriage.

Edited by canuckamuck

Actually it reminds me an other story. This lady journalist just come back to Koweit after the war and realizes there is a big improvement in the relation men/women. Before the men used to cruise ahead and the wife were following behind. Now she realizes the men are much more polite and let the women go first. She decide to interview one of the man in the street and ask why this change of attitude, does the war make them realize the importance of women in the society ? The man gave her a blank look and just a one word answer "Landmines".