Buying Bikes But Which Ones?

spacemand

Been plowing through the forums but still have a couple of questions if you don't mind :)

We need 2 bikes but I have no idea which ones to buy only ridden a bike here once.

We are staying in a 30,000 people town, not much traffic and need recommendations for bikes.

1) Me 105kg (240 pounds), 184cm (6 feet), need to get around town go to Big C, Tesco 5-10 kms away stuff like this mayb 20-30km a day max.

2) She is a normal Thai size small. Need to get around a little more 10km trips each way to see the family maybe 30-50km a day but no trips longer than 10km. Have to be a "family" bike so she can have 2 kids on it.

We are moving on Monday and there are no rental places in town!! So we have to buy them same day to be able to get around easily but I have a few questions.

3) Is it possible to buy, register and take out of shop same day?

4) How do I register the bikes? Its going to be in her name since I figure its the easiest and I have no problem with that.

5) Mandatory insurance? Is there such a thing, I read about having insurance sticker on the bike is it something I can get at the bike shop or should I go through a company?

Thanks in advance :D

Hey Spaceman,

I've been here for nearly a year now and have relentlessly been reviewing the pro's and cons of which bikes for which purpose. If I am right to assume you don't have any tight limitations on budget, then the best bike by far for what you are describing, is the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. It's 135cc watercooled automatic, big enough for you and the use you describe, as well as for her and 2 kids. Be aware that you cannot buy in your name without at least a non-imm visa usually, but you should be able to take them the same day, and even have them trucked or sent by train or bus, or even through the post office (yeah, I know, cool huh?) to wherever you are going. If you tell me where, I might be able to make a better, more specific suggestion. Everything else you asked about can be accomplished easily pretty much as you described.

Where are you now?

John

Edited by johnefallis

Hey Spaceman,

I've been here for nearly a year now and have relentlessly been reviewing the pro's and cons of which bikes for which purpose. If I am right to assume you don't have any tight limitations on budget, then the best bike by far for what you are describing, is the Yamaha Nouvo Elegance. It's 135cc watercooled automatic, big enough for you and the use you describe, as well as for her and 2 kids. Be aware that you cannot buy in your name without at least a non-imm visa usually, but you should be able to take them the same day, and even have them trucked or sent by train or bus, or even through the post office (yeah, I know, cool huh?) to wherever you are going. If you tell me where, I might be able to make a better, more specific suggestion. Everything else you asked about can be accomplished easily pretty much as you described.

Where are you now?

John

Thanks for the reply.

Going to Sisaket and from my experience so far the roads are pretty good and no hills to talk of, there were a a handful shops selling bikes but I have no idea about the availability. About 50K Baht per bike is my limit and registering them in her name is not a problem for me I knew this from the beginning. Problem is there are no rental places in town so we have to get at least one bike the first day to be able to get around.

But 125cc and up should be good right? Her an kids weigh less than me so whats good for me will work for her :)

Edited by spacemand

Hi countryman, a Yamaha Nuovo will be a very pleasant solution, strong engine for a more sportive style of driving (for you) and very convenient and easy to handle for ladies bc of the scooter style, we have a big topbox which easily carries our familyshopping, although we have 2 Kawasaki 250cc for long distance touring we love our Nuovo for the go around town trips. Normally when the bike is on stock you can drive away with a red license plate and all the registration and insurance stuff is done by the dealer, you just need your wife's IDcard and of course the payment.

Hey Spaceman,

Where are you now?

John

Thanks for the reply.

Going to Sisaket and from my experience so far the roads are pretty good and no hills to talk of, there were a a handful shops selling bikes but I have no idea about the availability. About 50K Baht per bike is my limit and registering them in her name is not a problem for me I knew this from the beginning. Problem is there are no rental places in town so we have to get at least one bike the first day to be able to get around.

But 125cc and up should be good right? Her an kids weigh less than me so whats good for me will work for her :)

Yeah, definitely should be able to negotiate 2 Yamaha Nouvo Elegance for about 100,000 baht if you buy 2 at same time. 110,000 maximum for the mag wheel model. Depends how a good a negotiator you are. It should work perfectly for the situation you describe. The other nice thing about having 2 the same, is you only have to get familiar with one bike and can swap back and forth easily. This bike will work good for you. No shifting, good power, easy and comfortable to ride. Nothing else even comes close in my opinion. And the price is reasonable. I prefer the model with mag wheels/tubeless tires, otherwise there is nothing else to chose except colors. If you can buy in Sisaket, then you will likely have better relationship with the dealer/shop there. I would suggest you look what is available there and if you can't get the colors/models you want, then go to the next nearest town and check. Many many many dealers in Thailand.

Hi countryman, a Yamaha Nuovo will be a very pleasant solution, strong engine for a more sportive style of driving (for you) and very convenient and easy to handle for ladies bc of the scooter style, we have a big topbox which easily carries our familyshopping, although we have 2 Kawasaki 250cc for long distance touring we love our Nuovo for the go around town trips. Normally when the bike is on stock you can drive away with a red license plate and all the registration and insurance stuff is done by the dealer, you just need your wife's IDcard and of course the payment.

I concur with this information also. This is a perfect combination of bikes for Thailand without spending too much. Although I prefer the 72,000 baht Tiger 250RS price to the Kawasaki's 200k range. For what you are doing spaceman, you should do great with 2 nouvos in the situation you described, or even 1 nouvo and 1 Tiger for only about 20k baht more if you think you might need a longer distance bike too.

John

The other one i would look at is the Yamaha Spark. same engine as the Nouvo but 4 speed auto clutch. Some people do not like auto's, me included. Clutched bikes tend to be better on fuel and not so many problems with belts etc. Cheaper as well. I would look at a fino or mio for the missus. Have you thought of asking her what she might like to ride. My missus will not ride an auto bike says that there is no control, she likes the auto clutch like the wave/spark etc.

Allan

Don't know how much experience you have riding bikes but at your weight I would seriously consider something with a tank rather than the Nouvo "step-through" style. I'm 90Kgs myself but feel far more stable on Honda 150 CBR (69000 Baht) than the scooter types. Tiger 250 RS (72000 Baht) also looks pretty good though I haven't ridden one.

Now own and have ridden Hondas for over 3 years, great bikes and never a problem. For the heavier person the Honda Airblade will do the trick, for the missus and kids the Honda Click, or the slightly cheaper one, think it's called the Uno or similar.

Also better resale value than the other makes.

I am 120kg and my wife is around 55kg.

We have had a Yamaha Mio Fino since Oct 2006 and it has just clocked 21,000 and I have only replaced tyres and battery and it regularly serviced.

This weekend I am buying a s/h Honda Phanthom and we are looking to replace the Fino with perhaps an elegance for my wife.

Then we will probably sell the Fino and get some money back.

I recommend the Yamaha as it is ideal for buzzing around up here in the countryside.

I have a CBR 400, which I picked up 3 years ago for 70,000 baht, great bike, plenty of power maybe a little uncomfortable for riding all the time but you can pick up a good condition CB 400 for around 60,000. Downside there is no registration book or number plate for that price, however, this is no problem where I live, but if you consider looking into a big bike, best to ask around where you would be riding it to see how strict the police are on bikes with no plates etc.

For her - why not a Honda Wave 125 cc? And helmets for the kids, too! (I keep seeing parents wearing helmets and none for their kids).

For you, how about the Tiger 250 RS? Ergonomics matter. You need the extra cc and lower foot rests.

My father went and bought a 650 cc Honda. He is about your height. But then, the ergonomics were bad. I got that shaft drive bike and at 1.73 had the odd cramp as well. Sometimes, I was standing up to relieve the pain.

Again, even for shorter distances, ergonomics matter.

Enjoy the bikes and make sure the kids get helmets!