Moo Baan - What Are The Parking Rules

first1timer

Hi,

I live in a townhouse in a moo baan. We have space outside the townhouse to park our car. There is space for each townhouse to park their car.

We have had some problems lately with people parking outside our house. First of all we can hardly get into our own house when someone parks outside

and second we can't park our own car and have to find a place outside the moo baan because I don't want to disturb my neighbors parking my car outside their house.

We recently got a traffic cone to place outside the house in hope that people would stop parking in front of our house but that doesn't seem to help. They will basically

just remove the cone to the side.

So I'm wondering what are the usual rules for parking spots in a moo baan. Is it my spot ? or can anyone claim it ? I live in a rented townhouse.

Appreciate the help

Go to a shop or just make a sign and have it written in Thai, "No Parking" and hang it on your gate. Try that first and see if the subtle hint works.

I thought a big traffic cone would have been enough

Would seem so, however, they can be so oblivious to the obvious. Next step would be try to have a gentle talk with them, if you catch them in the act. And then if you don't have a car, they'll think why you need the space? The moo baan I live in has 4 sois, 3 sois being townhouses, the other soi detached houses, and I can vouch that parking is tight on those sois of the townhouses.

What's the official mooban policy? There must be an office somewhere.

If they don't have any clear rules or don't want to enforce them, then you have to deal with it yourself, and it can get confrontational and ugly, but it has to be done one way or another.

Buy glue for wallpaper, print big signs "no parking here". Next time someone park in front of you house, glue the sign on the car front window. It doesn't damage the car, but it's a real pain to remove. People will get the message.

For the rules, the space in front of your house belongs to you. It's common knowledge.

You have hit a raw nerve. I live in a moo bahn as well--single unit houses, room for 2 cars in the driveway (one in front of the other) and ne parked on the street in front of the house. At the end of my soi, inside the moo bahn, is a small park area, so nobody lives there and there's room for 5 or 6 cars.

Nobody parks in front of anybody elses house, except mine, and it's constant. And they tend to act quite insulted when I ask them to move their vehicles. The neighbors next door even park so the back end of their car partially blocks the driveway making it either very difficult or impossible to get out. Very annoying.

The only reason I can think of for this very rude and unnecessary behavior is to let me know where I am on the pecking order.

Best of luck and let me know if anything works.

Sorry but when you ask what are the usual rules for parking spots in thailand, it make me smile because in thailand even if there are some rules, not a lot of people respect them.

You wonder why they always park only in front of the farang house ?

Had the same problem one day, i just went out and ask (with a big smile), "please could you move your car because my wife should come back soon from the supermarket".

The answer was "farang here you are in thailand, if ur not happy go back in ur country" :D

So what to do, fight for a parking place ? No, nothing to do except putting 1 Kg of sugar in the tank discreetly :D:)

You have hit a raw nerve. I live in a moo bahn as well--single unit houses, room for 2 cars in the driveway (one in front of the other) and ne parked on the street in front of the house. At the end of my soi, inside the moo bahn, is a small park area, so nobody lives there and there's room for 5 or 6 cars.

Nobody parks in front of anybody elses house, except mine, and it's constant. And they tend to act quite insulted when I ask them to move their vehicles. The neighbors next door even park so the back end of their car partially blocks the driveway making it either very difficult or impossible to get out. Very annoying.

The only reason I can think of for this very rude and unnecessary behavior is to let me know where I am on the pecking order.

Best of luck and let me know if anything works.

You have the same rights as everybody else. Unfortunately, as people see us both as "falangs", every time you bow, you make other "falang" life more difficult.

The answer was "farang here you are in thailand, if ur not happy go back in ur country" :D

So what to do, fight for a parking place ? No, nothing to do except putting 1 Kg of sugar in the tank discreetly :D:)

Pls see post above.

Nobody EVER replied me this way. Pls stop being sorry to exist, or do it in an other country.

Edited by Pierrot

Oh, I NEVER bow. I always make it a point to go knocking on doors and have the vehicles moved. It's just a real pain in the arse. If the neighbors are having a get together or a special event, I just let it go. I try to be as accommodating as possible and I try to be a good neighbor. But when I get home on an ordinary day and I could pull in the driveway because I would be leaving in the morning before my partner. I don't. I make them move their vehicle in front of their own house.

I don't want to hijack the OP's thread. His situation sounds a bit more critical than mine, since he has to park outside his moo bahn.

I would suggest getting someone (Thai speaker) to check with the guards and find out who is the headman for the village and have a talk with them about 'designated, reserved' parking. If it's a rental, maybe the owner can assist.

Pls see post above.

Nobody EVER replied me this way. Pls stop being sorry to exist, or do it in an other country. You're an embarassement for all falangs living in Thailand

Who are you to talk to me like that !!

Because i don't want to fight for a parking place i'm an ambarassement for all falangs living in thailand ?

I'm not sorry to exist, i'm sorry that you exist and by the way, you give you the right to speak for all the falang living in thailand ?

Funny guy, you keep your head down when falang may need your help (still remenber your topic :Should i feel guilty) but on a forum for no reason you like to attack the OP.

You are so pretentious.

Would you like to borrow my dog? He comes out of the gate sniffs any car parked outside and if no familiar smell ie not us or visitor to our house, proceeds to raise leg and anoint car accordingly. To add insult to injury he will then kick up the dirt in a big cloud and cover the offending car in dust.

Not many people park outside our house.

Someone I know had this problem in England. He asked the guy nicely a couple of times but he didn't listen. So he went out late one night and put a paving slab through the wind screen. After the paving slab incident nobody parked in front of his house again.

I had my maid dig a bottomless pit in front of my house. It took a while to finish, but was well worth the effort. Nobody parks there now. If you don't want to make such an effort, or are worried at losing your wife down t'pit, as I did mine, you can simply dig a hole 2m deep and fill it with water. Someone will think it's just a puddle and park there, allowing you to come along later and park on their roof.

Pls see post above.

Nobody EVER replied me this way. Pls stop being sorry to exist, or do it in an other country. You're an embarassement for all falangs living in Thailand

Because i don't want to fight for a parking place i'm an ambarassement for all falangs living in thailand ?

I'm not sorry to exist, i'm sorry that you exist and by the way, you give you the right to speak for all the falang living in thailand ?

Funny guy, you keep your head down when falang may need your help (still remenber your topic :Should i feel guilty) but on a forum for no reason you like to attack the OP.

You are so pretentious.

Sorry, my answer was kind of a blanket answer for everybody who felt discriminated against because they are foreigners.

You're absolutely right, by targeting you, I'm guilty of the same offense I was trying to denounce.

My apologizes !

Pls see post above.

You are so pretentious.

Sorry, my answer was kind of a blanket answer for everybody who felt discriminated against because they are foreigners.

You're absolutely right, by targeting you, I'm guilty of the same offense I was trying to denounce.

My apologizes !

apologizes accepted :D

Btw : are you french ?

I had my maid dig a bottomless pit in front of my house. It took a while to finish, but was well worth the effort. Nobody parks there now. If you don't want to make such an effort, or are worried at losing your wife down t'pit, as I did mine, you can simply dig a hole 2m deep and fill it with water. Someone will think it's just a puddle and park there, allowing you to come along later and park on their roof.

All well and good if it's not concrete...

But a good tactic otherwise...

To go back to the topic :

If the townhouse is rented, go talk to the owner and tell him ur gonna cancel the contract cause you cannot park your car.

I guess he will try to find a solution for you A.S.A.P.

All well and good if it's not concrete...

But a good tactic otherwise...

Luckily my gardener had just passed away, leaving several jackhammers and demolition balls in my shed. We were able to get the job done before his daughter called wanting them back.

First step for me would be to find out what's the reason behind this behavior.

There are several possibilities:

- They feel they can do that because of something that happened in the past, and that you are unaware of. Something that maybe made them angry/jealous/etc.

- Maybe the guys are ok, but they do it because of social pressure, some sort of competition in the community of who will be the most unfriendly to farangs.

- Or maybe they are just plain dumb and mean.

If someone parks in front of my house I beep the horn. They usually come out and move the offending vehicle.

Apart from that, do they park with the hand brake on? Or in 'Park' if it is an automatic? The usual option is to shove the car out of the way, same as in BigC or Tesco when it is busy. Several cars close by? Give them all a shove until you have enough room to get in. Then see the fun in the morning as they all try to make enough space to get their cars out :)

Sorry but when you ask what are the usual rules for parking spots in thailand, it make me smile because in thailand even if there are some rules, not a lot of people respect them.

You wonder why they always park only in front of the farang house ?

Had the same problem one day, i just went out and ask (with a big smile), "please could you move your car because my wife should come back soon from the supermarket".

I don't disbelieve you but where I live the local people bend over backwards to be helpful and polite.

Hi,

I live in a townhouse in a moo baan. We have space outside the townhouse to park our car. There is space for each townhouse to park their car.

We have had some problems lately with people parking outside our house. First of all we can hardly get into our own house when someone parks outside

and second we can't park our own car and have to find a place outside the moo baan because I don't want to disturb my neighbors parking my car outside their house.

We recently got a traffic cone to place outside the house in hope that people would stop parking in front of our house but that doesn't seem to help. They will basically

just remove the cone to the side.

So I'm wondering what are the usual rules for parking spots in a moo baan. Is it my spot ? or can anyone claim it ? I live in a rented townhouse.

Appreciate the help

Block them in with your car?

Brigante7.