Michael Jackson

taurusguy

i also have been somewhat puzzled by the continuing enthusiasm for jackson's work - particularly by people who weren't even alive when his best material was released. i've been watching TV in the US tonight and every channel is filled with teenagers bemoaning his passing. i didn't even realize that anyone listened to him anymore.

the thing also is, "king of pop" almost sounds like a pejorative moniker to me - someone who panders to the fashion of the times. in many ways i think he did just that. very lowest-common-denominator kind of material.

all in all i think what he was most talented at was dancing. and i don't really care much for that. presumably many others do. his music was hardly ground-breaking, and much of what he accomplished should be attributed to Quincy Jones, not himself.

weird that two such immense 70s icons passed away on the same day - jackson and fawcett.

. . . [Mr. Jackson]'s never really been my cup of tea on a personality level (fiddling with kids notwithstanding) . . .

I believe (and certainly hope) that you meant to use there some other word or phrase than 'notwithstanding'.

indeed, reading that back i can see how my intention could be misconstrued. must stop typing in three different windows at the same time. meant to say that even if he wasn't a kiddy fiddler his personality has never been my cup of tea.