Chiang Dao Question

middlepath

Wife and I and a few friends rode our bicycles today from Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao. Had lunch looked around and rode back.

I kind of wanted to snoop around but the gang wanted to head back.

Interesting town. Clean and laid out rather nice. Saw a few falongs. I really liked it up there.

Anyone live there or have lived there? What's it like? Thanks!

Wife and I and a few friends rode our bicycles today from Chiang Mai to Chiang Dao. Had lunch looked around and rode back.

I kind of wanted to snoop around but the gang wanted to head back.

Interesting town. Clean and laid out rather nice. Saw a few falongs. I really liked it up there.

Anyone live there or have lived there? What's it like? Thanks!

darn you are fit......its a bluddy long way MP :D

I know freinds that have stayed at teh Chiang Dao Nest...other than that I know there are some caves there....prices are cheap for land though because its in the middle of ..well nowhere.

Glad you had a good time with NO accidents :)

Thanks TP for your reply.

We started at a buddy's condo CM. From his condo it was 75K on the nose where we ate lunch in CD, so, 150k round trip. It's mostly flat except for a few long-ish hilLs but

with a few gas stations rests and flat most of the way it was not to bad.

MP.

Chiang Dao is my favorite place in Chiang Mai. I'm looking for a place to buy.

The market on Tuesday is a local favorite with many hilltribes showing up to sell.

The photography is great too. The mountain is a personal favorite of mine, I have a lot of photos

Plus, the people are great! If you can, stop and talk to some folks sometime :)

The cave area is a nice place to hang out a bit, lots of stuff for sale, lots of vegetation.

:D :D :D

Next time you are up there, go past the cave and stay left toward the mountain until the road ends. There you will find a parking lot with steps going up the mountain. 20 minutes or so of climbing gets you to an interesting cave temple. (Some interesting signs to read on the way up too!) Very, very quiet up there except for all the jungle birds! For places to stay, you can try the Chiang Dao Nest (spendy) or the Chiang Dao Huts (bamboo and 500 baht). Quite a few expats live just north of the high peak which I think is called Doi Luang. Friends of ours have a place up there with fantastic views of the mountains and valley.

On that road to the temple, if you take a right turn, you can go forever on jungle tracks through some very wild country. Not recommended unless you have an off road bike or a 4WD with a bit of experience.

post-498-1246067122_thumb.jpg post-498-1246067208_thumb.jpg

Hi:

I am an American who has lived in Chiang Dao since 1972 off and on. I just retired two years ago and moved back to Chiang Dao. I am currently on vacation in the US, will return to Chiang Dao to live. My wife and I own 7 rai Mango farm in Chiang Dao, and we also have another rai with a three bed room teak house americanised. Its a great place to live. I love it in Chiang Dao.

We have a lot of farang restaurants, Greek, Japan, English, French, German, and few others. Have so real nice resorts and a few good thai restaurants.

Cost of living is cheep. You can rent a nice house from 3000 to 5000 baht per month. Just have to know someone that lives in Chiang Dao, since we don't have any real estate agents in Chiang Dao. No gated communities, have to live in one of the villages or down town Chiang Dao. Nice place to buy property and build a house. I will be building a new house the first of next year.

Be glad to assist you when I get back in August.

Dan

Hi:

I am an American who has lived in Chiang Dao since 1972 off and on. I just retired two years ago and moved back to Chiang Dao. I am currently on vacation in the US, will return to Chiang Dao to live. My wife and I own 7 rai Mango farm in Chiang Dao, and we also have another rai with a three bed room teak house americanised. Its a great place to live. I love it in Chiang Dao...

I think that your wife actually owns it and not you since farangs can't own land in Thailand.

Hi:

I am an American who has lived in Chiang Dao since 1972 off and on. I just retired two years ago and moved back to Chiang Dao. I am currently on vacation in the US, will return to Chiang Dao to live. My wife and I own 7 rai Mango farm in Chiang Dao, and we also have another rai with a three bed room teak house americanised. Its a great place to live. I love it in Chiang Dao...

I think that your wife actually owns it and not you since farangs can't own land in Thailand.

Anytime time some talks of owning land someone feels they must state the obvious that the wife "owns" it. It sounds like crying over spilt milk.

Hi:

Anytime time some talks of owning land someone feels they must state the obvious that the wife "owns" it. It sounds like crying over spilt milk.

Its called "KNIT PICKING" :) ...anyway you can own the house if not the land....seems like a 50/50 split to me

Hi:

Its called "KNIT PICKING" :) ...anyway you can own the house if not the land....seems like a 50/50 split to me

More like 10%(House) / 90%(Land) when you try to selli it, since houses lose vakue every year, and Land gains value, but I also think the original comment good to know, but when presented to obvious non-newbies,... :D

If you are interested, middlepath, in returning to Chiang Dao by bicycle, I would encourage you to consider taking a different, quite a bit more scenic and far less trafficked route, albeit one that is longer and in one place that I will mention, has some steeper ups and downs. Take what I think is route 1001 north from Chiangmai to Phrao, then turn and go west on a differently numbered road (this road crosses a range of mountains and has the steep bits that I just mentioned) to a point just north of Chiang Dao on the main road that runs from Chiangmai to Chiang Dao and then to points further north. Obviously, since you will then be slightly north of Chiang Dao, you would turn to the south to get to Chiang Dao. In giving you these rough directions, I am counting on you, if interested, to get a map and confirm the routes and road numbers and so on that I mention here. :)

Edited by Rasseru

I know that I do not own the land. I have no intentions on selling the land the farm is on or the land the house is on. We plan on living here the rest of our lives, enjoying what Thailand has to offer. We both love Chiang Dao . This property belongs to my wife. She acquired the property when her father died. We supported her father for over 35 years, which I did on my own. He was a great person and never asked for one baht. I am not a newbie to Thailand. I know the thai laws.

Thanks for your nitpicking.

Thank you Thaipauly, you can ride with me next time,

Ajarn, hope we are neighbors,

T_DOG I believe that stands for Tight_DOG you told me I think, you hunk, (just joking) but I do see a snake in your avatar, do I see a mattern developing?

dannybrewer, WOW, since 1972, impressive,

elektrifird, that's get a little old,

Rasseru, thanks for the alternet route,

anonymouse, if you come along with us next time we won't be such pansy's.

I reread the above and I see it as a clarification for those people (newbies) who may not know about the land ownership limitation.

You can read that statement and interpret it like the glass is half empty (nit picking) or half full (clarification).

Edited by vagabond48

Hi:

I am an American who has lived in Chiang Dao since 1972 off and on. I just retired two years ago and moved back to Chiang Dao. I am currently on vacation in the US, will return to Chiang Dao to live. My wife and I own 7 rai Mango farm in Chiang Dao, and we also have another rai with a three bed room teak house americanised. Its a great place to live. I love it in Chiang Dao.

We have a lot of farang restaurants, Greek, Japan, English, French, German, and few others. Have so real nice resorts and a few good thai restaurants.

Cost of living is cheep. You can rent a nice house from 3000 to 5000 baht per month. Just have to know someone that lives in Chiang Dao, since we don't have any real estate agents in Chiang Dao. No gated communities, have to live in one of the villages or down town Chiang Dao. Nice place to buy property and build a house. I will be building a new house the first of next year.

Be glad to assist you when I get back in August.

Dan

Hi Danny , hi everyone,

Completely agree with Danny. I think we met before at Kurt and Mon`s place.

We come in September , too. We ( my wife ) aquired 12 rai land . We are just building a small house on my name for the beginning, bigger one follows next year .

We have a small , but reliable farang community there, some good friends now.

Great place to live.

Werner

As ChangDao seems such a nice spot to visit rather than just past through can anyone let me know if any of the places to stay and eat can be used by people in wheelchairs especially electric ones which cannot climb steps. PMs would be welcome alhough posts here would probably be more generally useful

Edited by harrry

As ChangDao seems such a nice spot to visit rather than just past through can anyone let me know if any of the places to stay and eat can be used by people in wheelchairs especially electric ones which cannot climb steps. PMs would be welcome alhough posts here would probably be more generally useful

If a wheelchair can get over a grass lawn or shallow gravel drives and pathways, then I think Malee's Place or Chiang Dao Nest are both easily accessible. Perfectly flat with lovely views in nice settings. The wat, chedis, fish ponds outside the cave accessible as well. Not the cave itself of course.

I reread the above and I see it as a clarification for those people (newbies) who may not know about the land ownership limitation.

You can read that statement and interpret it like the glass is half empty (nit picking) or half full (clarification).

Oh MAster Vagabond, you are like a little buddha. Aren't you just the sweet one. So peaceful and serine.

You sound like someone who never complains about anything, Sabi sabi, we sure admire you.

Harry, I believe you have the fastest wheelchair in CM. I've see you go up steep ramps at full speed.

Yes, you lean forward not to tip but I swear it is impressive. Also your new motorcycle set up will and can

take you anywhere in Thailand. How many kilometers do you have on it now. She sure is a beauty!

Oh MAster Vagabond, you are like a little buddha. Aren't you just the sweet one. So peaceful and serine.

You sound like someone who never complains about anything, Sabi sabi, we sure admire you.

Not really. I can complain better than most (hey man, I'm from New Yawk) but I try to choose not to most times. I just think there are a fair number of people on TV who prefer to see the negative side of things.

Are you one?

Edited by vagabond48

Just curious, is "serine" an alternative spelling for "serene"?

Never been to Chiang Dao but form "most" of the posts that are on subject

it looks like one great place to visit.

Great photos T_DOG. I suppose they were taking by you with your new bride in tow on your cool motorcycle. You both know how to enjoy life here in Thailand that's for sure.

Love to check out your back off the main road Rasseru, looks promising, thanks!

Vagabond, you OK? I read once how you treat other people is how you feel about yourself. You need something please let me know. We are all here to help.

Werner:

Glad to hear you will be returning to Chiang Dao in Sept. I guess you know that Kurt & Mons has closed and Kurt & Mon have returned to Canada. Just trying to impress these hard core expats about the great life in Chiang Dao, but sounds like alot them love the big city & paved roads. Not much of a night life in Chiang Dao, but a real nice quiet place to live. We have the best expats in Thailand living in Chiang Dao. We look out for each other. Something that is hard to do in the big city of Chiangmi.

Once the locals get to known you they will do anything for you. Great Thai people. I got a friend of mine from the US to move to Chiang Dao this month, me and him will be opending a pub (bar) in Chiang Dao around the first of the year. Will see you when you get back. The city boys can keep the big city and I will always stay in Chiang Dao.

Thanks for the good comments made on the subject of Chiang Dao. My personal e-mail is [email protected]. please feel free to contact me if you will be comming to Chiang Dao, would like to show you our great town.

Dan

Yes, Vagabond, you got me there, good one. Berating yourself only makes it more difficult for you. Congratulate yourself instead!

Take some time and drive down to Chiang Dao, you will love it there I bet.

Yes, Vagabond, you got me there, good one. Berating yourself only makes it more difficult for you. Congratulate yourself instead!

Take some time and drive down to Chiang Dao, you will love it there I bet.

Since English is spoken in a number of countries, U.S., Canada, UK, Ozzie etc., I was curious to know if there were alternate spellings. I even looked it up but found a different definition. It was quite an innocent question but I guess you didn't see it that way.

Last year, I did a round trip bicycle ride Chiang Mai/Chiang Dao and yes, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Since English is spoken in a number of countries, U.S., Canada, UK, Ozzie etc., I was curious to know if there were alternate spellings. I even looked it up but found a different definition. It was quite an innocent question but I guess you didn't see it that way.

Last year, I did a round trip bicycle ride Chiang Mai/Chiang Dao and yes, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Will keep you posted. Stay positive and love life.