Car, Windscreen And Film

Nienke

I've got a car. The car has a windscreen. And over this windscreen is a very thin film. Or something like that, as I've been told.

Questions:

1. Why do they put a film over my windscreen?

2. How do I get it clean again? Now, when I drive after dark in the rain it is bl***y dangerous. Can't see a thing. :)

3. Where can I go (in CM) to have it cleaned if I can't do it myself?

edit: add no. 3 to keep it CM related

Edited by Nienke

I've got a car. The car has a windscreen. And over this windscreen is a very thin film. Or something like that, as I've been told.

Questions:

2. How do I get it clean again? Now, when I drive after dark in the rain it is bl***y dangerous. Can't see a thing. :)

Amnuay Motor Air

The film is to act as a sunshade. It is the same on your windows

Any shop that services cars can remove the film or clean it.

Amnuay is okay, but a bit expensive

Edited by Ajarn

Questions:

To keep the sun/heat out. If it's very dark/reflective it also adds some privacy.

Then the film is too dark. It shouldn't be too dark, both because it's illegal and because it's dangerous. At the very least, cut holes near the side mirrors, and consider having it removed or changed for your front windscreen.

No, you want a shop to do it. Good film is expensive, and it's a skill to get it on there straight and without air bubbles. Anyway the cost is in the film, not in the workmanship to stick it on. Shops are everywhere, any car accessory shop.

Understood. Sad that that's necessary but it's the state of affairs.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Thanks for the replies!

The film isn't dark at all. I didn't even notice it was there till I couldn't manage to get these little circly thingies from my window. First I thought it was grease. But it wasn't, obviously.

And as for the addition about remaining CM-related. That has nothing to do with the closure of the other threads. I just didn't want this thread to be moved to the car forum. That's all. When I'm posting something about dogs in the CM forum, I also add something in an attempt to keep the thread in this forum.

My girlfriend's car's modestly shaded film has seen much better days.

On enquiring I thought the price for a film job was surprisingly expensive at several thousand baht for a very mass produced item in a competitive country like Thailand.

Is all the money going to 3M or is there a cheaper way to do it in CM?

In any case where's the best value?

John

My girlfriend's car's modestly shaded film has seen much better days.

On enquiring I thought the price for a film job was surprisingly expensive at several thousand baht for a very mass produced item in a competitive country like Thailand.

Is all the money going to 3M or is there a cheaper way to do it in CM?

In any case where's the best value?

John

500 baht per large window is what I was quoted for the good 80% shade. It is pretty dark at night, probably too much for some folks. At the 4 0r 5 places I checked, they all had the same price for the same shade. I'm sure there is a cheaper brand, but why? I have had mine for 5 years, no scratches or any problems at all... Price was expensive, but worth it in my opinion, :)

Edited by Ajarn

Is such a film necessary? Do cars in temperate climates have films over their windscreens as well?

As mentioned, it helps keep the car cooler inside. Another purpose, if the right brand/type is used, it cuts down on the UV that enters the car which can cause the leather and even more so the plastics in the car to deteriorate over time.

500 baht per large window is what I was quoted for the good 80% shade. It is pretty dark at night, probably too much for some folks. At the 4 0r 5 places I checked, they all had the same price for the same shade. I'm sure there is a cheaper brand, but why? I have had mine for 5 years, no scratches or any problems at all... Price was expensive, but worth it in my opinion, :D

If it's 500 baht per window I might ask to have all done, but less than 80% shade then. That seems a bit too dark to me. Will have a look coming week.

Thanks for all the replies yet again. :D:)

I went to Auto MAX a few weeks ago because I want to tint the top portion of the windshield (windscreen). The man was very helpful and had a chart and samples of all the different films but the cost was 3,500B but they did a great job.

Questions:

Windscreen/film are good for keep car/truck cool. I have no problems after dark, you keep film in different level of darkness(40% 50% etc) my beef wish it was Mandatory to be able to see the driver.

I went to Auto MAX a few weeks ago because I want to tint the top portion of the windshield (windscreen). The man was very helpful and had a chart and samples of all the different films but the cost was 3,500B but they did a great job.

I'm sorry , but 3500 baht just to get a strip of sunscreen across your front is ridiculous. It should have cost you less than 500 baht