"new" Restaurant Called Spanky's Opening Near Original Escaoe

Ulysses G.

There is a "new" restaurant called Spanky's opening near the original Escape restaurant across from the Las Vegas bar. It is a Texas Beef/Arby's type place, but very inexpensive, run by Burger Mike's partner Bob.

Texas Beef will close in the next few days and Bob hopes to have Spanky's up and running about the 4th of July with pretty much the same menu, but cheaper and with some improvements.

Bob is a nice guy and the food is good and cheap. Check it out!

Soi Chang Moi Kao. The same street that Boots, Gecko Books and Stephanos Italian restaurant are on, but further down the lane. You have to cross (the big) Chang Moi Road and bare to the right until you almost reach the Las Vegas bar in front of you. Spanky's will be on your left.

It is not far to the Prince Hotel for those who know that area.

Why do people keep opening places in that seedy area with no parking?

Do you ever make a positive post?

Point 1. People don't keep opening places around there.

Point 2. I could park a 32-ton lorry around there.

Point 3. You haven't been to the restaurant but you are already loading your guns to shoot it down.

Lighten up m8.

I was in "Texas BBQ" last week for a toasted sub with meatballs, plus rootbeer float.

Very tasty.

Staff explained to me about the move at the end of the month.

What impressed me about "Texas BBQ" was 1) quality of food ingredients, 2) cleanliness of the restaurant, 3) good service (by Thai standards).

If the new "Spanky's" -- in the new location -- keeps up those standards, I'm make the extra effort to get there.

With so much turnover of restaurants in Chiangmai, I appreciate posts with reviews and comments about restaurants here.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

This is Bob,and I'm here to tell you that Texas will be closed this month and will move just around the corner and reopen about the 5th of July. The food will stay the same,and the prices will be the best in town...

Yes the location is off the trail,but I'm not going after the tourist,I'm going after all of you that live and work here.I think it's about time there was a place that served good without the high prices...

I'm a 4min walk from Mike's,and just down the street from Gecko Books,that's not very far to go for good food at prices that are cheaper then what you would pay for a beer in some bars...

Spanky

Why do people keep opening places in that seedy area with no parking?

Do you ever make a positive post?

Point 1. People don't keep opening places around there.

Point 2. I could park a 32-ton lorry around there.

Point 3. You haven't been to the restaurant but you are already loading your guns to shoot it down.

Lighten up m8.

Well said Loaded

Reconsitutued beef ... arrggghhaa (simpsons drool :) sound)

Arby's sells "reconstituted" beef nowdays. Spanky's uses real beef like Arby's used when it first opened many years ago. They also have meatball subs, chilli, burgers and other similar foods. Very nice apple crumble. :D

Sounds good. reconstituted, or not...

I'll stop by and check it out. :)

stop there just before you pass by my shop and before you stop off at carrefour :D we'll have the sandwich together and review it with a cup of masala chai. :D

Let's take a look at some of the "burger bars" and put them into perspective.

I think it would be a good idea to compare and break the pricing down.

Pinky's gives you a slider for 39 Baht. That's almost $1.20 for a slider? With cheese is 49 Baht. That's almost $1.50. If you order 3 burgers the cost comes down to 110 Baht and 140 Baht for cheese. That's $1.10 and $1.40 for a mini burger, no lettuce or tomato.

Burger King is selling a small burger, probably twice the size of a slider at Pinkey's for 65 Baht. That's almost $2.00 for your basic Burger King small burger. At least they give you a cheese burger or a bacon burger w/o cheese for the same price.

Mike's has a single burger for 64 Baht. Almost $2.00 for your basic plain burger with lettuce and tomato. Add 79 Baht for cheese, almost $2.40.

If we bring Miguel's into the picture, because Mike is the founder of Miguel's, Mike's Original and The Texas BBQ they have a deluxe burger for 100 Baht. The menu states a big beef patty so even though I have never had one I am guessing, and correct me if I am wrong, that the burger is larger than a Mike's. So the larger burger with lettuce and tomato is 100 Baht or close to $3.00.

Texas BBQ had 2 burgers, a small for 69 Baht and a large for 99 Baht. Probably looked like a Mike's Burger and a Miguel's burger respectively. So a Texas BBQ burger for either $2.00 or $3.00.

The big question is what made these burgers stand out from Mike's, Miguel's, Pinkey's and Burger King? All of these burger seem to be expensive and over priced.

Joe Jet's is another example. They were good burgers, very similar in size and flavor to the other burger bars. Joe Jet's is closed. I liked their burgers.

Texas BBQ is closed and/or reopening.

If Spanky's wants to do more than spank their p..ds not only does the quality have to be better, the pricing has to be better and reasonable.

Sorry for this long winded burger comparison but I just had a Pinkey's slider and "Famous Wings" and I am trying to get the taste out of my mouth.

I forgot to mention that Mike's in Anusarn is closed also. A casualty of the global depression and the burger wars.

Edited by getgoin

I'm from Texas so I can be the official judge. So give me a lot of free food, and I'll start the taste testing.

Then you can say "Approved by a real Texan!"

What time you want me there?

Sorry buddy. You're a bit late to the party.. This Real Texan has already put his Stamp of Approval on the place!

-Mestizo

(from Abilene, TX)

I did not qualify my above burger war reconnaissance with the obvious fact that all places are counter service, w/o wait staff and most w/o free water. Also, I did not go into the quality of the main ingredients. Next time.

The "Famous Wings" at Pinkey's were coated in artificially butter flavored margarine and hot sauce. While the chicken itself was moist and the wings large, it was hard to enjoy them. The price was 140 Baht, US $4.20.

A few different someones have recommended the patty melt at the Duke's to me as I have never had it. It is something like a giant slider with very melted cheese and onions. I am not sure if one usually treats it like a burger with catsup and mustard, but I did not put any type of sauce on mine and really enjoyed it - huge and juicy.

You get a giant serving of fresh French fries - never-frozen - or onion rings with it, so it really fills you up.I did not pay attention to the price, but it was certainly worth it.

Did anyone notice the new sponsor of the Chiang Mai forum? :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

A few different someones have recommended the patty melt at the Duke's to me as I have never had it. It is something like a giant slider with very melted cheese and onions. I am not sure if one usually treats it like a burger with catsup and mustard, but I did not put any type of sauce on mine and really enjoyed it - huge and juicy.

You get a giant serving of fresh French fries - never-frozen - or onion rings with it, so it really fills you up.I did not pay attention to the price, but it was certainly worth it.

Did anyone notice the new sponsor of the Chiang Mai forum? :)

I have never had it

then

I did not put any type of sauce on mine and I really enjoyed it

Sounds like you've had it. If so, did you get a pickle too?

If so, was it good too? My recent pickles from Dukes have been below their previous standard.

Sorry, I have never had the patty melt at the Duke's before, but when I tried it, I liked it.

The pickle tasted OK to me, but, perhaps I do not eat sandwiches at the Duke's often enough to notice changes in pickle quality.

here is a few prices of the burgers at spanky's...

90gr 150gr

Burger 50b 70b

cheese burger 60b 80b

chili cheese burger 75b 95b

philly cheese steak burger 75b 95b

(thin sliced roast beef

peppers&onions on top of burger)

on a fresh bakery bun

lett.pickles,tomato,onion

for those that have tried a burger at Texas,they will stay the same at Spankys.....

Spanky

Spankys restaurant is open at the new location - we tried it this evening. Limited menu (mostly comes in a bun) but good food, good prices and really well worth a visit if you are seeking budget-priced farang food. The meatball sub was tasty, and the hot apple crumble was as good as ever.

Edited by chiangmaibruce