Goodbye Vientiane

NewGuy

Vientiane Restaurant will close its 2nd Road doors on March 25. They will relocate next to Nang Nual on Walking Street; there is another location off Pattaya Neua.

For people who don't know, the food is delicious, the menu varied and reasonably priced and the current location excellent. Excellent people watching opportunities can be had as well.

My same wait staff source says the Vientiane - Palm Villa stretch will be the site of Pattaya's first Robinson. Great! I love their sales.

It is an excellent place. I'm pleased to hear that its not closing all together.

Yes a great place to eat at reasonable prices and hot lemon hand towels offered on the way to the wash room..... :o

I eat there almost every day when I am in Pty.

As most of the BGs are from Isaan its always a hit to take them there so they can eat home cookin'.

Glad its not closing!

It is an excellent place. I'm pleased to hear that its not closing all together.

Yes a great place to eat at reasonable prices and hot lemon hand towels offered on the way to the wash room..... :o

As most of the BGs are from Isaan its always a hit to take them there so they can eat home cookin'.

Glad its not closing!

I wonder where their prices will go after they relocate to walking street.

Edited by noBuzz

QUOTE(noBuzz @ 2005-02-19 12:31:40r

[quote=johnnyk,2005-02-19 05:41:10)

QUOTE(Pattaya_Fox @ 2005-02-18 18:27:16)
QUOTE(ProfessorFart @ 2005-02-18 17:06:14)

[right+-->

QUOTE(johnnyk,2005-02-19 05:41:10-->
QUOTE(noBuzz @ 2005-02-19 12:31:40r

[quote=johnnyk,2005-02-19 05:41:10)

QUOTE(Pattaya_Fox @ 2005-02-18 18:27:16)
QUOTE(ProfessorFart @ 2005-02-18 17:06:14)

[right)

Glad its not closing!

Good idea! think I'll go there tonight.. whilst I can still park my car right next to them...what'll happen on Walking street??? What about this site on Pattaya Nua? That sounds more hopeful.

Looks like everyone is trying Vietienne one last time, went there 2 nights ago couldnt get a seat either in the air-con side or open air...........so headed up to the North Road site, place was empty (10pm) the menu wasnt as extensive and the food although acceptable was not as good as 2nd road.........this might change however when the 2nd road closes and the chefs are split between Walking St and North Road...........anybody wanting to go to the North Road site its located behind the Thai House Restaurant.

I like the way the maniac waiter comes running round with one of those sizzling platters. Blowing for all he's worth on a whistle. Why does he run ? Its not as if those platters get cold quick. There like bed pans, stay hot all night  :D

Definately a gimmick i had the beef sizzling platter up the North Road site and there was no whistle or running..........mind you since the place was empty a running waiter with a whistle would of been quite comical... :o

Edited by thaiflyer1

An extract from the Bangkok Post:

"Siam Future Development Plc, the SET-listed developer of shopping malls, will spend 400 million baht developing two new lifestyle shopping centres this year.

The first project, costing 250 million baht, will be developed in Pattaya. The other, at a cost of 150 million baht, will be on Soi Aree off Phahon Yothin Road in Bangkok.

Managing director Somnuk Pojkasemsin said the 20,000-square-metre Pattaya project would be developed as a lifestyle shopping and entertainment centre. Major tenants will include a 10-screen Major Cineplex and bowling lanes, a high-end supermarket, indoor and outdoor restaurants and a food centre."

Pulled the above off another forum............ :o

• 1 month later...

We ate in the new Vientiane yesterday. Very tasty nam neung (my favourite and my lady lets me eat all the raw garlic on the plate). They are using the old menius, the table cloths are new (same colours and patterns as before), fewer wait staff, new uniforms are less stiff, more kitchen people, more emphasis on aharn talay, nice layout overlooking the bay. It looks as though they will be enclosing most of the place for air conditioning.

And I used my 10% discount card (food only). Ask for one.

• 1 month later...
Does anyone out there have a phone number for Vientiane in Walking Street?

Need to make a table reservation.

DM

(038) 411 298.

Service with a smile

Thanks for that.

Made the booking but didn't really need to as even on a Friday night they don't seem to get very busy - low season now, of course.

Quality of the food and the service were well up to normal standards and the Walking Street location is really very pleasant as you can sit and look out over Pattaya bay. Vientiane has to be one of the best value-for-money restaurants in Pattaya. I used them quite a lot when they were on 2nd road and shall certainly continue to do so now they've moved.

They also have a restaurant on Pattaya Nua, just behind the Thai House. This one is a little more rustic and the location doesn't really compare well to Walking Street (easy parking though) but the menu seems to be the same. I used them once and was well pleased but went back one Friday and they were shut. I don't know if this is normal.

DM :o

Made the booking but didn't really need to as even on a Friday night they don't seem to get very busy - low season now, of course.

Does this tell you anything about the clientele of this restaurant?

Do you ever see any Thais eating there?

And I mean a party of Thais, not the girls in company of other falung.

And I also mean in high season as well as low season.

I honestly don't know why everyone on this thread is praising the place... :o

It's for tourists... mediocre food served with a gimmick... tourists love all that cr@p. :D

Does this tell you anything about the clientele of this restaurant?

Do you ever see any Thais eating there?

And I mean a party of Thais, not the girls in company of other falung.

And I also mean in high season as well as low season.

I honestly don't know why everyone on this thread is praising the place... :o

It's for tourists... mediocre food served with a gimmick... tourists love all that cr@p. :D

There have been Thai families eating in both the Walking Street and Pattaya Nua restaurants on all the occasions that I have been there.

I think that you are in a minority of one if you don't like these restaurants. The food is certainly not mediocre and the menu is extensive. If you like Lao style food as well as the more main-stream Thai dishes then this is the place to come - or you could always take a trip to Isaan I suppose.

OK, I agree that these places would not exist without tourists but there's nothing wrong with that. If you are happy to always eat at street stalls (usually good food) or sit in a shack with a plastic table cover (sometimes good food) then fine. I sometimes like a bit more refinement and I find that Vientiane offers a pleasant environment and good food at very reasonable prices.

Incidently, my Thai wife makes very good Lao food also but I'm afraid that my house can't quite match the view over Pattaya bay.

DM :D

I honestly don't know why everyone on this thread is praising the place...  :o

It's for tourists... mediocre food served with a gimmick... tourists love all that cr@p.  :D

Yes, highly overrated IMO, but perhaps that is simply indicative of the generally low standard of food and service at reasonably priced restauants in Pattaya.

-redwood

Having eaten at their Walking Street restaurant on six occasions during May my observations are as follows:-

The food was good on all occasions...... the meat and fish were well cooked and tasty and the vegetables not over cooked. The seafood including both shell fish and fish was delicious.

The service was very good, it was served by pleasant staff who were very polite and helpful.

The Thai diners who I saw at this restaurant (including a party of 12 people) on one occasion seemed to be enjoying the food as much as my wife and I were.

The restaurant is built out over the sea and infact extends further then the Nang Nual. It has open sides and a covered roof which the outer extension on the Nang Nual does not have, and therefore one can eat looking out over the bay even when it is raining. You are also protected from the sun if eating during the day..... There is one table (table Number One) which has no roof over and ideal for the alfresco experience.

As we sat at table number one on a few occasions my wife and I were beckoned by the Nang Nual staff to go to their restaurant as we have been frequent diners there also. However I must say that the food and ambience of the Vientiane were such that we preferred dining there rather than the Nang Nual.

Those of you who have eaten at the Walking Street Nang Nual will recognise Vientiane`s manager as a manager previously from the Nang Nual.

In summary.....good food, efficient service, very competively priced, with beautiful views over the bay. :o