Thinking Of Products To Import From Thailand

I guess I should start this post off by saying that I understand that this is a sensitive topic in the respect that people's livelihoods depend on keeping information about how to set up export businesses low key to prevent every man and his dog doing what they are doing thereby diminishing profits. I am not looking for a step-by-step guide - I can figure out all the details out by myself. This post is more about general advice on products that might sell well in Australian and New Zealand weekend markets.

I lived in Thailand for a total of five years and in my time there, heard of many people who exported products from Thailand and made good money. I was always compelled by the idea and took trips to the markets trying to figure out what products might sell well in my home country (New Zealand). I remember being too overwhelmed by possibilities to ever really narrow it down much. I bought a few products and tried to sell them on eBay but without too much success.

Right now I am visiting Melbourne, staying with my Thai girlfriend, and have been to a couple of markets where I was reminded of my trips to JJ market. I investigated the price of setting up a stall at Victoria market which is quite cheap (a little over $30 on weekends) and had a look at another place just to get an idea of what set up costs would be.

My girlfriend is studying here and I think this would be a great way for her to make money on weekends but of course, the big question is what would be a product that could be imported from Thailand and sold for a profit over here.

I spent a bit of time observing what the stalls were selling, trying to get some ideas. I thought scarves might be a good product to import because they are light, cheap and available in abundance in Thailand. There was a lady at a market selling scarves made from recycled something or other that were dyed in India with special dyes. I thought she had a great product and she charged accordingly at 1,400 baht. So this got me thinking of scarves as a possible product to import and go for the low end of the market. I guess if it went tits-up then the family would be getting Thai scarves for christmas from there on in. I thought about Thai silk scarves, did a bit of research to find out what they were selling for here and found a place selling them for "Only $25" (720 baht).

I remember having a conversation with a guy a while back who used to buy beads and trinkets from JJ in bulk and then sell them off out of a suitcase in NZ going for the volume profit. He said that he used to do really well. I think a few things have changed in the world since then. He used to take the beads with him from Thailand in the days before such draconian baggage restrictions. To import them to here would probably eat into potential profits too much.

A search for "export" on this site brings up stories about people wanting to export Thai shrimp, Thai motorbikes, Thai beer, natural soap and spa products as well as posts from people who make money from exporting Thai garden furniture.

If anyone has any ideas about Thai products that offer good returns overseas, not necessarily specific to my situation, then it would be really appreciated.

Edited by nas

If anyone has any ideas about Thai products that offer good returns overseas, not necessarily specific to my situation, then it would be really appreciated.

Why would anybody tell you ? :)

If you want to start a business, the first thing is to believe in your products and not what others think or do.

Don't copy an idea but start your own.

Start with those shawls and buy 2 or 3 other (women) related products and see what sells best.

If you don't try..you'll never know.

LaoPo

Why would anybody tell you ? :)

If you want to start a business, the first thing is to believe in your products and not what others think or do.

Don't copy an idea but start your own.

Start with those shawls and buy 2 or 3 other (women) related products and see what sells best.

If you don't try..you'll never know.

LaoPo

Thanks LaoPo, you sound like a seasoned veteran for advice.

Appreciated,

Nas

If you ask people to point you to the way to the nearest "goldmine", expect a few rebuffs on the way.

In this day and age....I think google has the right idea. Something of everything and none of it too expensive.

There are people out there working full time on finding products, finding markets, studying import/export duties, transport costs, tea money, and on and on.

DYOR. AIMHO of course.

Regards.

If you ask people to point you to the way to the nearest "goldmine", expect a few rebuffs on the way.

In this day and age....I think google has the right idea. Something of everything and none of it too expensive.

There are people out there working full time on finding products, finding markets, studying import/export duties, transport costs, tea money, and on and on.

DYOR. AIMHO of course.

Regards.

Thanks for the response. Not really looking for a goldmine just a few anecdotes to supplement an income.

When you say about 30 dollars for a stall at Victoria market if thats the case things have changed a few years back it was impossible to get a stall I think there was a big waiting list of up to 3 years.

I would check about the price also thats very cheap.

I am looking into the waiting list. The prices are a lot better than I thought they would be. This is from the Victoria market PDF for interested stall holders.

post-85874-1246200553_thumb.png

Try different styles of hand made lamps, they always sell well anytime,anyplace anywhere!! designs and fashions change, just look for something interesting that hasn't been done in the last decade or so. Even design your own and head to Chiang Mai for hand crafted factories. Design something new and create a new market.

Regards Bojo

An excellent product and one which seems to get interest in Australia and New Zealand are artificial flowers - made from saa paper, water hyacinth, etc.

They are cheap and easy to ship and go down very well on market stalls (at least in the UK), especially if you arrange them and sell as bouquets, etc

An excellent product and one which seems to get interest in Australia and New Zealand are artificial flowers - made from saa paper, water hyacinth, etc.

They are cheap and easy to ship and go down very well on market stalls (at least in the UK), especially if you arrange them and sell as bouquets, etc

Thanks bojo and Remix4. Both of those things are excellent ideas.

About 6 years ago I sent a bunch of the Saa paper flowers to Sydney. They sold very well. Are they still in fashion?

I have a contact at Chatuchak market who is I still believe the main supplier there. Great service and keen prices but best of all beautiful products. PM if you need her details.

regards Bojo

About 6 years ago I sent a bunch of the Saa paper flowers to Sydney. They sold very well. Are they still in fashion?

I have a contact at Chatuchak market who is I still believe the main supplier there. Great service and keen prices but best of all beautiful products. PM if you need her details.

regards Bojo

Yes very much so at least in UK. In fact we just supplied to a large high street retailer who are now looking to increase the range

Because I don't have a huge amount of capital, my plan would be to source small amounts of certain products and test out to see how well they sell over here. I would set up a stall at know weekend markets in and around my hometown and region as well as approach retailiers to see if they are interested in carrying the products. I have some contacts at boutique shops around the Hawke's Bay region.

My goal is to carry a selection of products and make a name for myself at these markets as a place to go to buy things more cheaply than can be found in shops and/ or hopefully be the exclusive retailer of certain products. I would be able to offer cheap prices by having minimal overheads and further down the track, being able to buy directly from the supplier. To begin with though, I accept that I will have to buy products at a less favourable rate and would have very small profit margins so that the products are as cheap as possible during the establishment phase.

I am basically at the beginning stages where I want to test out what has selling potential. Saa paper flowers and lamps seem like a good place to start. These seem like good ideas because they are light and small and therefore cheaper to ship as well as the fact that they have mass appeal. Those are the types of products I am interested in but am open to other ideas.

I think sourcing directly from the producer is key and that there needs to be someone that is dedicated in the country receiving the imports. I think the later is pivotal so if anyone knows of anybody who trades out of Thailand and needs someone on the ground in New Zealand then give me a shout.

I'll let you in on my idea. If you wish to use it, all I ask is that you let me know how it sells.

All it requires is a little welding and a magnifying glass.

Take two 50 satang coins. Get a very small hinge, like you might find in a watch or eyeglass repair shop.

Weld or solder (sorry I don't know the difference) the hinge so that the coins are connected like a clamshell.

That's it.

I call it the Siam Tweezer Squeezer. Handy for pimples, eyebrows, trimming moustache/beard or bikini area.

Good luck. You can also sell in combination with a detached moto mirror. Price it competitvely and it should sell like hotcakes.

Edited by Texpat

I'll let you in on my idea. If you wish to use it, all I ask is that you let me know how it sells.

Take two 50 satang coins. Get a very small hinge, like you might find in a watch or eyeglass repair shop.

Weld or solder (sorry I don't know the difference) the hinge so that the coins are connected like a clamshell.

That's it.

I call it the Siam Tweezer Squeezer. Handy for pimples, eyebrows, trimming moustache/beard or bikini area.

Good luck. You can also sell in combination with a detached moto mirror. Price it competitvely and it should sell like hotcakes.

Very original texpat. Top marks!

That's it.

This could most certainly be a hit.... in Thailand. :)

However, in New Zealand I doubt it.

I met several people in Chiang Mai who buy Thai handicrafts for the European and American markets where it's sold in places like headshops and alternative spiritual stores mostly located in cities and college towns. Take a look at the post office near Tae Pae Gate on any given day as it's always over flowing with boxes being shipped out so it's obvious people are doing a business while enjoying trips to Thailand. If I get into that, I might would dip into Luang Prabang's market as it offers even more traditional handicrafts though they don't haggle well like in Thailand. Too bad they don't allow photography in Thai handicraft markets as it would help them move their goods by letting us show Western shop owners what we can deliver so you have to buy a sampling of what you think is exceptional, ship it, and then sales pitch with it back in a Western country.

I find online ETF and stock trading to be a simple, portable, and effective way to do a business or investing on the side. While it seems simple to me, I went to business school and it's not for everyone so don't do it just becuase I said so. You have to have a passion for studying economics, crunching numbers, and gut intincts on where the economy and market is going next. Whatever you do, you have to have a serious passion and find a viable way to make that happen as no one tells anyone how money can be made. For example, I wouldn't tell specifically which items in Chiang Mai night bazaar are dynamite if I were actively trading them, but just the common knowledge that people are doing it. Do not believe anyone selling a money making scheme other than legitimate stock brokerages.

You really do have to figure it out for yourself.

My expereince running an export comapany in thailand has been as follows; Hit a new idea. sell it as quick as you can = because people will copy you (ref op what can i sell?) and then go with a new idea. You have to do what is profitible. You have to adapt. Change. Keep ahead.

Right now it is a very hard time to be exporting.

Good luck.,

That's it.

post-13995-1246706005_thumb.jpg

Your idea is not only a bit complicated but available for peanuts (€ 0,50 cents or Bath 24/pc) in China with LED light at the same time...

LaoPo

• 2 years later...