Missionary Work

Hello all, I want to go to Thailand possibly for a number of years to do some Missionary work. What sort of visa do I require and how do I go about getting one. Any info appreciated. I live in Liverpool UK. Thanks

Suegha

เสือ :o

Hello all, I want to go to Thailand possibly for a number of years to do some Missionary work.  What sort of visa do I require and how do I go about getting one.  Any info appreciated.  I live in Liverpool UK.  Thanks

Suegha

Are you a citizen of the UK? Will you be sponsored by a missionary organization that ought to know how to do this for you?

You need a non immigrant "R" class visa and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs lists this as a requirement:

Official Note certifying the purpose of travel from the Government Agencies /Embassies and Consulates / International Organizations / State Enterprises inThailand. ("F" / "B" / "ED" / "M" / "R")

Lopburi3, does that mean a missionary has to get certification from an agency (such as the religious organization) from within Thailand?

Reminds me of Rebecca Naylor's story about going to India to be a Baptist missionary. Nice gentleman at the consulate in Dallas said, "I'm sorry, young lady, we don't need missionaries in India, just physicians." Becky Naylor replied, "Well, I'm a board certified surgeon." The Indian replied, "Oh, Dr. Naylor - please, I'll get the paperwork for you, right now."

Lopburi3, does that mean a missionary has to get certification from an agency (such as the religious organization) from within Thailand?

Reminds me of Rebecca Naylor's story about going to India to be a Baptist missionary.  Nice gentleman at the consulate in Dallas said, "I'm sorry, young lady,  we don't need missionaries in India, just physicians."  Becky Naylor replied, "Well, I'm a board certified surgeon."  The Indian replied, "Oh, Dr. Naylor - please, I'll get the paperwork for you, right now."

Most missionaries use Non Imm O multi visa's under a ' tacit ' wink and nod system in place due to H M the King being protector of religions in Thailand.

Most Thai's are Bhuddist and do not need converting.

I was wondering when we'd finally have an anti-missionary opinion. But Astral, if a Buddhist wished to come to your home country and convert the natives, would your government let them, and would it matter if you objected? Are people free to make up their own minds, especially in a country like this where the cards are stacked against the Christian missionaries?

Hello all, I want to go to Thailand possibly for a number of years to do some Missionary work.  What sort of visa do I require and how do I go about getting one.  Any info appreciated.  I live in Liverpool UK.  Thanks

Suegha

Hi - We are from Northern Ireland my wife and family are are also going to Thailand in August as missionaries but we are not going to apply for M visa rather a Non-immigrant multiple entry - then try and get work permits when we are there. We are teachers. We will be living in Pattaya - where will you be

Maybe we could stay in touch by ordinary email??

I was wondering when we'd finally have an anti-missionary opinion. But Astral, if a Buddhist wished to come to your home country and convert the natives, would your government let them, and would it matter if you objected? Are people free to make up their own minds, especially in a country like this where the cards are stacked against the Christian missionaries?

People are free to make up their own minds, thus they do not need coverting.However everyone should be allowed the option to tread their chosen path.Why go to Asia there is still a lot of work to be done in good ol' blighty?

as missionaries... in Pattaya

Aren't there already enough people in missionary positions in Pattaya?

You're going to have to work hard to convert the heathens living there, let alone the Thais.

Missionary positions :D in Pattaya :o

Well we have been going there for 5 years now and I presume you know it too. Yes there are many international people as well as local. Missionaries often conjures up certain idea - our main work will be to train and empower the locals in education; health care; teaching English; prison ministry andministry to the slums and marginalised; church leadership courses - it is not just about converts it is about seeing peoples "worth"

The priests from the west were in Ayuthaya in loads in the late 1600's. They have not made big inroads into soul saving yet.

"What you teach us to do is admirable, but what you teach us to believe is foolish."

-- King Rama IV (aka King Mongkut), in describing the efforts of Christian missionaries in Siam.

Hello all and thanks for all your comments. Just a few things, although I am part of a larger organisation, I am sponsored by myself - the work is voluntary.

Rgarding the comments about doing work back home (in Blighty). I do and I have and will continue to have involvement back home. I have been spreading the Gospel in Britain and Ireland for 25ish years.

Just to deal with comments using the words 'converting' and 'saving', it is not the work of a missionary to convert or save - only God can do that - we simply spread the teachings of the Lord Jesus. How people respond to it is up to them. Which leads on to the last comment, about what 'we' teach to do or what 'we' teach to believe... Same answer, the missionary should not tell/teach anyone what to do or believe, the teachings of the Lord Jesus do that.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

Grace & Peace

Suegha

เสือ

Hello all and thanks for all your comments. Just a few things, although I am part of a larger organisation, I am sponsored by myself - the work is voluntary.

Rgarding the comments about doing work back home (in Blighty).  I do and I have and will continue to have involvement back home.  I have been spreading the Gospel in Britain and Ireland for 25ish years.

Just to deal with comments using the words 'converting' and 'saving', it is not the work of a missionary to convert or save - only God can do that - we simply spread the teachings of the Lord Jesus.  How people respond to it is up to them.  Which leads on to the last comment, about what 'we' teach to do or what 'we' teach to believe...  Same answer, the missionary should not tell/teach anyone what to do or believe, the teachings of the Lord Jesus do that.

Once again, thanks for all the comments.

Grace & Peace

Suegha

เสือ

Thanks for correcting us, and King Rama V, on the distinction between 'teaching to believe' and 'spreading the teaching to believe'.

The distinction being made was the teaching to 'convert' or 'save' versus spreading the word and allowing people to make up their own minds. You could learn the words of Jesus (or Buddha, or whoever) and it would mean nothing if it were purely an academic exercise. It's how the teachings effect your thinking and your behaviour which are, after all, yours and yours alone!

Grace & Peace

Suegha

เสือ

A lawyer friend tells me that the official line is that the RTG will only issue visas to religious organisations it recognises. No visas for missionary work will be granted otherwise.

Lots of quite lobbying happens in thailand all the time. Big religous orgs hire big international law firms to quitely lobby and apply on their behalf. So if you are a jehova's witnesses, no visa will be granted. If you are Mormon on the other hand, you better bring your bike.

The priests from the west were in Ayuthaya in loads in the late 1600's. They have not made big inroads into soul saving yet.

"What you teach us to do is admirable, but what you teach us to believe is foolish."

-- King Rama IV (aka King Mongkut), in describing the efforts of Christian missionaries in Siam.

He had something there :o

Just a few things, although I am part of a larger organisation, I am sponsored by myself - the work is voluntary.

The other thing to remember is that Thai law states very clearly that all work - paid or unpaid - requires a work permit

A lawyer friend tells me that the official line is that the RTG will only issue visas to religious organisations it recognises. No visas for missionary work will be granted otherwise.

Lots of quite lobbying happens in thailand all the time. Big religous orgs hire big international law firms to quitely lobby and apply on their behalf. So if you are a jehova's witnesses, no visa will be granted. If you are Mormon on the other hand, you better bring your bike.

The wink and nod system is alive and well for things the RTG favours eg orphanages, Aids care. The Non O without a wp gets hundreds of 'volunteers' across the line.

as missionaries... in Pattaya

Aren't there already enough people in missionary positions in Pattaya?

You're going to have to work hard to convert the heathens living there, let alone the Thais.

Missionary positions :D in Pattaya :D

Well we have been going there for 5 years now and I presume you know it too. Yes there are many international people as well as local. Missionaries often conjures up certain idea - our main work will be to train and empower the locals in education; health care; teaching English; prison ministry andministry to the slums and marginalised; church leadership courses - it is not just about converts it is about seeing peoples "worth"

Mate.....You're either very slow or have been protected by god too much :o