Opening A Savings Account

I went to open a new savings account at Bank of Ayudhya and was refused because my visa wasn't "over" 3 months.

My visa is a 90 day non O. They said it needs to be valid for "over" 3 months or I need a work permit.

Anybody else had this problem?

I went to open a new savings account at Bank of Ayudhya and was refused because my visa wasn't "over" 3 months.

My visa is a 90 day non O. They said it needs to be valid for "over" 3 months or I need a work permit.

It's an intermittent problem for some people at some banks around Thailand. Go to Bangkok Bank or one of the other larger banks, preferably somewhere such as Bangkok and you will not have a problem.

:) Great, our twice weekly "I had trouble opening a Thai bank account" thread. Do yourself a favour and scroll back through earlier threads to see the responses and/or use the forum search facility (top right this page) for a gargantuan amount of info on this topic. Short answer - just keep trying banks till they say yes.

:) Great, our twice weekly "I had trouble opening a Thai bank account" thread. Do yourself a favour and scroll back through earlier threads to see the responses and/or use the forum search facility (top right this page) for a gargantuan amount of info on this topic. Short answer - just keep trying banks till they say yes.

The last ten words of your post were excellent, the rest were unnecessary.

Thai Visa,s most asked question. As said just keep on trying. You will find one eventually. As mentioned, Kasikorn seem to be the most responsive.

Yes to Kasikorn. I expected to receive and was treated to being showed the door at Bangkok Bank here in the sticks (Kanataralak, Isaan) last week, despite my accompanying fiance knowing the staff well, banking there herself and me having passed stacks of money through that bank over the last three years (housebuilding etc).

Here's the funny part about the refusal - they would let me open an account if I had a recommendation from a teacher, government officer or policeman. Wow so somebody trusts them after all. I was tempted to go and pay tea money for a signature, open an account, tell them how I got the signature and close it again just to spite the bank.

Anyway, I made a contemptuous face and we wandered across the road to Kasikorn Bank. They did not know me or fiance from Adam, welcomed me, brushed aside the letter of residence I presented wanting only to see a long term visa and then had the bank manager come out and say hello and thank you for being a new customer when the process was completed.

My fiance was shocked by the disparity of treatment and told the Kasikorn manager about BB and that she would change her bank and tell all her mates how much nicer they were.

Edited by SantiSuk

I had the same problem the Bank of Ayudhya, but the lady in the bank told me that if I showed proof of residence, it would not be a problem. So I just went to Immigration, and got the paper. When returning to the bank I had no problem opening an account. In the meantime I opened an account with Bangkok Bank. As long as you show them non-immigrant-visa, you have no problem (at least in the branch I visited).

Thai Visa,s most asked question. As said just keep on trying. You will find one eventually. As mentioned, Kasikorn seem to be the most responsive.

Thus it would seem an excellent justification for making this a pinned topic (?)

Thus it would seem an excellent justification for making this a pinned topic (?)

true - I second this - It is a tricky subject in iteself and is ever changing. Effort is being wasted!

I and many others have responded countless times. Do the mods wish to start a usefull thread?

Recomendation start it off as blank "How to open a Thai Bank account based on visa status" please take it from there!

I am not being exactly neutral here am I, but by god this is tricky stuff. Please help us out mods!

Edited by pkrv

I'm not sure that a detailed checklist would work for many guys. If the first step was "go into a bank", they would post "what the heck does that mean?" "Do I have to walk into the bank at a certain time, or can I do it at anytime?" "I don't walk too well, so can I 'shuffle' instead of walk?" "Which bank can I walk into?" "Do I need to know a secret handshake or other ritual?" "I'm dating a prostitute, and I have to pay mom 1 million baht in sinsod. Will the bank lend it to me?"

I'm not sure that a detailed checklist would work for many guys. If the first step was "go into a bank", they would post "what the heck does that mean?" "Do I have to walk into the bank at a certain time, or can I do it at anytime?" "I don't walk too well, so can I 'shuffle' instead of walk?" "Which bank can I walk into?" "Do I need to know a secret handshake or other ritual?" "I'm dating a prostitute, and I have to pay mom 1 million baht in sinsod. Will the bank lend it to me?"

One question I never understood the answer to, is how they found out about Thailand in the first place. And are these individuals equiped to understand Thailand is growing up?

Gotta love this mans style, subtle as a house brick.

Really, a sugestion to this problem was put to thai visa some time back. When one clicks the 'new topic' but they could be promted if they have bothered to search for the answer to their problem, with an option to do so from that screen. That would cover all the newbies to the thai visa site or perhaps those too stupid to realise what its all about.

Then we can make way for some more stupid threads about the economy or some corruption & stuff like that.

Anyway CMB, Keep up the good work :D