Where To Buy Iphone 3g

Is it better to buy an iPhone 3G in the US and bring it to Thailand, or just buy it in Thailand? A Thai friend of mine wants me to buy an iPhone from the US. He says it is cheaper.

I saw some news about AT&T offering the phone without the service plan, but I could not find anything on their website or on Apple's website where I can order one. I don't want to buy one on eBay and would rather buy it from a store like Apple, Best Buy, etc.

True has a price of 24,500 baht for the 8 gig iPhone 3G in Thailand. AT&T was talking about $599 for the 8 gig model in the US but I haven't seen the price listed anywhere. And there is the added cost of trying to unlock it once I bring it back to Thailand. Also, customs coming back into Thailand may be an issue (I probably have to unwrap it before arriving).

Buy it in the US. If what you say is true (as far as I know it is true) and you can buy one with no contract for $599, you're still saving over $100 on True's price. Unlocking isn't an issue, that's not going to cost you anything. Neither is customs - it's your own personal mobile phone - just take it out of the box, turn it on and put it in your pocket. Personally, I think you're nuts to buy an 8GB from AT&T for that money when you can easily buy a brand new 16GB off ebay for less than $500. You also don't have to deal with any potential customs issues with shipping, since you're in the US anyway.

Yesterday, I went to the a apple store in California and purchased an new Iphone 16gb Gs for $399 without a contract. The new price without a contract was $299 for 3g, $399 16gb 3Gs and $599 for 32gb 3Gs. You still need to unlock, the phone but that is the easy part.

Yesterday, I went to the a apple store in California and purchased an new Iphone 16gb Gs for $399 without a contract. The new price without a contract was $299 for 3g, $399 16gb 3Gs and $599 for 32gb 3Gs.

Weird then that on the Apple website it still says: 'For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).' You quite sure about this?

Yesterday, I went to the a apple store in California and purchased an new Iphone 16gb Gs for $399 without a contract. The new price without a contract was $299 for 3g, $399 16gb 3Gs and $599 for 32gb 3Gs. You still need to unlock, the phone but that is the easy part.

Unlocking a 3GS is the easy part?? Good luck with that, there's no unlock currently available and not likely to be anytime soon going by the last Dev Team blog update. Although the price for the iPhone is higher in Thailand don't forget that the phones sold by True are officially unlocked models, meaning no issues with any future software updates.

3GS iphone

I have been into Mbk and been quoted 49000 and 42000 baht for 32gb .

I can buy the same in Australia 1040.00 approx 27500 baht (unlocked)

Mbk is far to expensive

Any news on how much a 16 GB is? I'm definitely waiting for True but i just want a rough estimate

According to ars & engadget, the unlock is available, they even question the necessity as most functions

that were issues with the 3G are not in the 3GS.

BR>Jack

I think you've got the terms confused, there is jailbreaking, allowing you to run non-Apple authorized apps and then there's unlocking, which allow you to use any SIM card with the phone, entirely different things. So unlocking is still very much a necessity for people buying carrier locked phones who don't wish to use those carriers. However while there is a jailbreak and unlock available for the iPhone 3G even with software version 3.0 there is still no jailbreak and unlock available for the 3GS.

I think True will announce their 3GS pricing either tomorrow or on the 1st as the current 3G prices on their website shows 'Available until 31 July 2009'.

Yesterday, I went to the a apple store in California and purchased an new Iphone 16gb Gs for $399 without a contract. The new price without a contract was $299 for 3g, $399 16gb 3Gs and $599 for 32gb 3Gs.

Weird then that on the Apple website it still says: 'For those who are not eligible for an early upgrade or who wish to buy iPhone as a gift, the prices are $499 (8GB), $599 (16GB), or $699 (32GB).' You quite sure about this?

I tried looking on the Apple website but couldn't find anything. I was looking at the US site.

Someone else on another website also mentioned that the 8gig 3GS was $499. I know it is still locked to the AT&T network.

I went to a phone store in Pattaya and the guy said he can unlock an iPhone 3G from the US for 1,500 baht. He said that he couldn't unlock the 3GS yet.

An iPhone 3G for $299, as mentioned above, is a much lower price that what I have seen in Thailand.

Actually the unlock that works with the 3G works for the 3GS. The jailbreak is what is not available(read not released yet here). Ultrsn0w works but you need to jailbreak to get cydia. I would imagine that it will be possible soon as I can not see Apple fighting the jailbreak/unlock very sincerely. They need to keep their carriers happy but as they sell more phones from unlocking and jailbreaking. I don't see them locking it down. Apple realises the lock down strategy is dead (or I would hope so) even if AT&T and other carriers do not. I am sure there will always be an exploit left for new phones. Apple needs to make it look good for the carriers like they are doing everything they can. Most carriers know no more about software than I do. So when it has been hacked Apple just shrugs.

1,500 BHT is way, way too much for unlocking a 3G. In MBk they do it for 800 or less (if you look around) if you don't have the technical know how. I guess the price is okay. Make sure you ask what program they use to jailbreak to get the unlock and note it down for later times.

1500 baht to unlock a phone any monkey can unlock just by following simple directions? I'm in the wrong business.

Look guys, seriously, it is very easy. You follow the directions and its done in less than 5 minutes. But if you really want I'll unlock you for 500 baht :)