2010 Tourism Forecast

webfact

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

Foreign visitors expected to surge

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

Published on June 30, 2009

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expects 14 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand next year, and with an expected 90 million trips by domestic holidaymakers, it believes tourism will enjoy total revenue of Bt960 billion in 2010.

The number of inbound tourists will represent a 5.6-per-cent increase over this year's expected 13.2 million visitors. International tourists are expected to generate revenue of Bt540 billion next year, up 6.4 per cent from this year's targeted revenue of Bt530 billion from inbound visitors

Officials in China yesterday withdrew that country's official warning against travel to Thailand, following Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's visit last week. The move is expected to draw more than 100,000 Chinese tourists to Thailand in the remaining months of this year.

Acting TAT governor Pensuda Priaram said the agency would concentrate on attracting tourists from two potential markets next year: South Asia and the Middle East. These regions have suffered less than others from the global economic crisis.

"In 2010, the TAT hopes to attract 823,000 tourists from South Asia, up 13 per cent, generating revenue of Bt25 billion, up 15.4 per cent. As well, 450,000 tourists from the Middle East are expected to visit Thailand, spending about Bt19 billion," Pensuda said.

The TAT hopes arrivals from all over Asia will grow 3.8 per cent next year to 6.9 million visitors, bringing revenue of Bt162 billion.

Some 4.7 million tourists from Europe are expected next year, generating revenue of Bt237 billion. The number of visitors from the Americas and Oceania are also expected to grow, by 4.9 per cent and 4.2 percent, respectively, providing revenue of Bt46 billion and Bt37 billion.

However, visitors from East Asia, particularly Japan, South Korea, China and Hong Kong, are expected to drop 14.9 per cent to 6.7 million. Revenue from this source will fall 21.7 per cent to Bt156 billion. Tourists from Africa are also expected to plunge 17 per cent to only 90,000.

Suraphon Svetsreni, deputy governor for planning and policies, said to deal with Thailand's tourism crisis, the TAT would approach new markets by participating in international trade shows in Russia, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Canada, Japan, Iran, Oman, Jordan, Poland, Syria and the US.

Weerasak Kowsurat, chairman of TAT's board, said packaged tours would be introduced to attract transfer passengers waiting on stopovers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The agency is also planning to approach niche markets like diving, youths, weddings, golf, shopping and senior tourists.

The government has extended the exemption on fees for tourist visa applications until next March 31. The exemption will apply to visa applications made on arrival at all international airports and at Thai embassies.

As well, booklets have been released detailing travel programmes lasting only 72 hours in popular destinations like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya.

Wansadet Thavornsuk, deputy governor for domestic markets, said the TAT planned to spend Bt500 million to boost domestic tourism next year. One measure will be encouraging public and private organisations to hold meetings and conferences within Thailand.

Santichai Euachongprasit, deputy governor for international marketing, said the TAT planned to open two new offices later this year, in Kunming, China and Mumbai, India. Next year, it plans a new office in Jakarta.

"We also plan to invite celebrities to Thailand to join highlighted events for positive coverage," he said.

Thai Hotels Association president Prakit Shinamourphong said an end to political unrest in Thailand would be a key factor in driving tourism over the coming year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/30

The figures refer to the broader economy but disguise the fact that the vast majority of these Asian tourists are on very rigid package deals that restrict their spending power to a selected few businesses. The vast majority of Thai businesses, tourist or otherwise, will never see any benefit from this supposed influx.

Can we expect official cheerleaders to be honest and realistic? The number of 13.2 million tourists for 2009 obviously is a projection that is not going to be met. 14 million for 2010 could be met if there is no further bad news for Thailand tourism (think recent stories about airport scams by the police) and if the world-wide economic crisis is over in a few months and a new boom starts immediately and if other tourist destinations suddently become anti-tourist or have political problems that result in blood flowing in the streets. The odds are overwhelmingly against TAT and its' projections.

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expects 14 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand next year, and with an expected 90 million trips by domestic holidaymakers, it believes tourism will enjoy total revenue of Bt960 billion in 2010.

The number of inbound tourists will represent a 5.6-per-cent increase over this year's expected 13.2 million visitors. International tourists are expected to generate revenue of Bt540 billion next year, up 6.4 per cent from this year's targeted revenue of Bt530 billion from inbound visitors

Officials in China yesterday withdrew that country's official warning against travel to Thailand, following Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's visit last week. The move is expected to draw more than 100,000 Chinese tourists to Thailand in the remaining months of this year.

Acting TAT governor Pensuda Priaram said the agency would concentrate on attracting tourists from two potential markets next year: South Asia and the Middle East. These regions have suffered less than others from the global economic crisis.

"In 2010, the TAT hopes to attract 823,000 tourists from South Asia, up 13 per cent, generating revenue of Bt25 billion, up 15.4 per cent. As well, 450,000 tourists from the Middle East are expected to visit Thailand, spending about Bt19 billion," Pensuda said.

The TAT hopes arrivals from all over Asia will grow 3.8 per cent next year to 6.9 million visitors, bringing revenue of Bt162 billion.

Some 4.7 million tourists from Europe are expected next year, generating revenue of Bt237 billion. The number of visitors from the Americas and Oceania are also expected to grow, by 4.9 per cent and 4.2 percent, respectively, providing revenue of Bt46 billion and Bt37 billion.

However, visitors from East Asia, particularly Japan, South Korea, China and Hong Kong, are expected to drop 14.9 per cent to 6.7 million. Revenue from this source will fall 21.7 per cent to Bt156 billion. Tourists from Africa are also expected to plunge 17 per cent to only 90,000.

Suraphon Svetsreni, deputy governor for planning and policies, said to deal with Thailand's tourism crisis, the TAT would approach new markets by participating in international trade shows in Russia, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Canada, Japan, Iran, Oman, Jordan, Poland, Syria and the US.

Weerasak Kowsurat, chairman of TAT's board, said packaged tours would be introduced to attract transfer passengers waiting on stopovers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The agency is also planning to approach niche markets like diving, youths, weddings, golf, shopping and senior tourists.

The government has extended the exemption on fees for tourist visa applications until next March 31. The exemption will apply to visa applications made on arrival at all international airports and at Thai embassies.

As well, booklets have been released detailing travel programmes lasting only 72 hours in popular destinations like Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Pattaya.

Wansadet Thavornsuk, deputy governor for domestic markets, said the TAT planned to spend Bt500 million to boost domestic tourism next year. One measure will be encouraging public and private organisations to hold meetings and conferences within Thailand.

Santichai Euachongprasit, deputy governor for international marketing, said the TAT planned to open two new offices later this year, in Kunming, China and Mumbai, India. Next year, it plans a new office in Jakarta.

"We also plan to invite celebrities to Thailand to join highlighted events for positive coverage," he said.

Thai Hotels Association president Prakit Shinamourphong said an end to political unrest in Thailand would be a key factor in driving tourism over the coming year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/30

this increased figure can be met by reducing the days allowed in Thailand at the land border points

it was originally 30 days, now its been reduced to 15 days, the inbound entries have effectively doubled

reduce it even further to only 7 days and then the inbound entries will be doubled again!

easy!

The US State Department has no warnings listed against Thailand (I just double checked). I would hardly consider Thailand dangerous, inconvenient perhaps at times but surly not dangerous. None of my friends in the USA are aware of anything going on here the old American "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to the rest of the world attitude I suppose, in any event I have some friends coming for a visit next month and didn't seem concerned about anything.

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/30

this increased figure can be met by reducing the days allowed in Thailand at the land border points

it was originally 30 days, now its been reduced to 15 days, the inbound entries have effectively doubled

reduce it even further to only 7 days and then the inbound entries will be doubled again!

easy!

... and the TAT has to justify their existence... :) But one thing is certain. No Hurray! Thai Tourism has not been saved! IMHO

...yes I know... :D

Edited by webfact

The US State Department has no warnings listed against Thailand (I just double checked). I would hardly consider Thailand dangerous, inconvenient perhaps at times but surly not dangerous. None of my friends in the USA are aware of anything going on here the old American "ignorance is bliss" when it comes to the rest of the world attitude I suppose, in any event I have some friends coming for a visit next month and didn't seem concerned about anything.

Considering the efforts they have made to turn Thailand into a MICE destination, the idea of having dozens of employees stranded in Bangkok because of the airport closures (as we did last year) certainly means we won't be returning as a company for our regional get together for at least a few years.

That is at least 300k USD (probably more)out of the economy. Small change in the big scheme of things, but this business activity is extremely valuable the economy.

One problem for tourism is the quick access to information. More and more people are checking the internet before making their travel plans. I don't know that this is a big deterrent, but it doesn't help. Overall, a lot of the tourists, at least the ones they want, will book a package tour.

It's not one or two small things that keeps them away, but an accumulation of things. Thailand is beginning to accumulate a lot.

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

Looks like domestic travel spending is almost equal to inbound spending. Why not promote more domestic travel?

Yep, I already see that impact on Walking Street, Pattaya

Are visa runners counted in the European arrivals? If so, a bit misleading.

Its been sugested that Asian, especially the Chinese economy, might take up some of the slack from reduced western spening. The travel projectiosn don't support that theory :)

Considering the efforts they have made to turn Thailand into a MICE destination, the idea of having dozens of employees stranded in Bangkok because of the airport closures (as we did last year) certainly means we won't be returning as a company for our regional get together for at least a few years.

That is at least 300k USD (probably more)out of the economy. Small change in the big scheme of things, but this business activity is extremely valuable the economy.

We are talking about tourism not business however I do indeed see your point and agree with you. Thailand should be more worried about the international business they will be losing as business people tend to check out the places they will be doing business with.

We are talking about tourism not business however I do indeed see your point and agree with you. Thailand should be more worried about the international business they will be losing as business people tend to check out the places they will be doing business with.

All these people enter the country on tourist visas. Their numbers are in the stats too. Someone mentioned before that measuring total numbers of tourists and using average spend as a measurement doesn't capture the different groups of tourists. Not all tourists are created equal as we all know.

It would be very interesting to find out how many 5* nights in Bangkok are devoted to business travel/meetings/conferences and how many to tourism. I would guess 75:25.

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/30

:):D:D I couldn't help it

:)

What sort of glue do these people sniff??, :D

Why do they not wake up and smell the coffee,with all the bad press over Thailand this year and the end of last,these figures are well optomistic. :D

What is the job of the Thai government? To govern and fix problems or just make everything looks ROSY

The figures refer to the broader economy but disguise the fact that the vast majority of these Asian tourists are on very rigid package deals that restrict their spending power to a selected few businesses. The vast majority of Thai businesses, tourist or otherwise, will never see any benefit from this supposed influx.

Right!

Farang visitors will stay 2-3 weeks and spend at least 2500-5000 baht locally, daily.

Asian visitors stay maybe one week, in an organised visit, and spend less locally.

Some arithmetic will show that this country needs 3-5 Asian visitors for one lost farang visitor.

I I had to choose between 100 visitors spending 5000 baht daily and 400 visitors spending 1000 baht daily, I would know.

Ah well.............

Edited by hansnl

I am just wondering why there would be more tourists coming during a global economy turn down than before one ever started.

Am i missing some thing :)

Absolutely spot on! My friend owns a specialist travel company aimed solely at Thailand. His European enquiries are down by over 50% from this time last year so where do they drum up these incredible figures. Anybody call in the Spin Doctor! The message about the 7 day tourist visa was great, that's possibly the only way they can increas 'entry' figures to Thailand.

The world's media are as much to blame causing mass hystreia. Urging people not to travel to here because there is a bit of trouble at Din Daeng....bhaaa..

Thailand really doens't help itself though and it wil be very interesting to see the 'true' tourist arrival numbers for 2009. Like we ever will......!

I know Australia has only just removed Thailand from it's 'Danger' list....... absolutely crazy!

It always amazes me when they utter such nonsense. Projections! Thumbsuck! Soaps! Black Magic! Bogus!

What next?! They cannot even get the weather forecasts correct! Thats today's forecast!

The next thing is we will start believing those wonks on Wall St with their crazy property spreadsheet projections.

Maybe Bernie Madoff can write copy for these guys, in his spare time - he certainly has nothing but on his hands

Never get high on ya own supply!

BR>Jack

TAT New Delhi Office to set up tour package for Indian visitors to Thailand

BANGKOK, 29 June 2009 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), New Delhi Office, prepares to promote value packages to attract Indian travelers to visit Thailand.

TAT New Delhi Office Director Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya elaborated on the marketing promotion plan of 2009 that, the Indian market was continuously growing with high purchasing power. He stated that the office had planned to promote value tourist packages to stimulate Indian travelers to come to Thailand and to develop a website in order to provide information to tourists more effectively.

Since the tourism industry of Thailand had been suffering from various problems, Mr Chattan remarked that a road show would be another way to restore the industry’s liveliness. He reasoned that it would allow tourism business entrepreneurs to hold talks and exchange ideas.

An estimate of 530,000 Indian tourists is expected to visit Thailand in 2009. Currently, there are 3 main groups of Indian travelers to Thailand, which are 70% for travel and recreation, 20% for conference, and 10% for wedding.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 29 June 2009

article here

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

By SUCHAT SRITAMA

THE NATION

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/30

Thai BNP 2008 (from World Factbook) = 9251 billion baht.

Projected income from tourism 2010 = 960 billion baht.

Percentage of tourism in relation to BNP in 2010 = 10.38 %

I don't have the BNP figures for 2009 or 2010 obviously, but the way the thai economy is going the 2008-figures probably won't be miles away from the 2010-figures - but, yes, I know this is a rough estimate on my part.

I had always thought that tourism in Thailand made up about 6 % of the total economy... but now TAT is hoping for that figure to jump to 10,38 %??? That is an increase in tourism revenues of 73 %!!! Go TAT, go Thailand!

This is GREAT news for Thailand.  :):D:D

More and more people are checking the internet before making their travel plans. I don't know that this is a big deterrent, but it doesn't help.

Just a 'general' observation, not necessarily specific to this thread or the posters above:

-It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! :)

PS: approach any group of actual tourists anywhere in Thailand and ask them if they like Thailand. The vast majority will likely say 'We LOVE it!' (and despite the doomsayers, many will return and likely with greater #s as the world economy returns). Please pardon raining on the negative parade, will try to get more 'in line' with the theme...) :D

"It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! rolleyes.gif"

You have to have a bit of sympathy. As you get older you get less tolerant and more irritable - the Victor Meldrew syndrome. And as we know most falang are getting quite old here .... :)

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

We've see so many messages by the TAT authorities.....it's nothing more than a signal to the Thai Government to try and let them keep their jobs.

A forecast of more than 14 million tourists for 2010 in nonsense.

Apart from that, if one subtracts all the so called tourists from Malaysia, Burma, Laos and Cambodia the numbers would drop dramatically anyway.

Apart from that, all the tourists, crossing borders, next to the visa-runners are in the same 14+ million figure and add up nicely for TAT.

LaoPo