2010 Tourism Forecast

webfact

I thought last year's number was 14 million not next year's. I thought for the first 5 month's of this year numbers were down about 20% indicating about 11.2m visitors for this year not 13.2m. So on that basis I dont know why they are even bothering to forecast next year.

Given its one of Thailand's major industries at least they could give some precise statistical releases. It is not as though they dont keep track of who comes and goes from the country. I like to think that I fill out those forms for a reason.

More and more people are checking the internet before making their travel plans. I don't know that this is a big deterrent, but it doesn't help.

Just a 'general' observation, not necessarily specific to this thread or the posters above:

-It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! :)

PS: approach any group of actual tourists anywhere in Thailand and ask them if they like Thailand. The vast majority will likely say 'We LOVE it!' (and despite the doomsayers, many will return and likely with greater #s as the world economy returns). Please pardon raining on the negative parade, will try to get more 'in line' with the theme...) :D

I love the post, couldn't have put it better myself, you are spot on.

Weerasak Kowsurat, Chairman of TAT's Board, said packaged tours would be introduced to attract transfer passengers waiting on stopovers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

TAT staff push for ouster of Weerasak

About 200 staff of the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) rallied yesterday to pressure its Board Chairman to resign, accusing him of intervening in the agency's budget allocation. The labour union claims that Weerasak Kohsurat is a puppet of the Chart Thai Pattana Party and has been attempting to steer tourism funds to Suphanburi province, the party's political stronghold.

"We want Mr Weerasak to consider himself and his role at the TAT. What he does here must serve the benefit of the country, not the Party," said Prasert Vorathitak, president of the State Enterprise Employees' Union. The union said it lacked clear evidence of the amount of money diverted to projects in Suphanburi because Weerasak endorsed some projects without written approval.

Weerasak, a former Chart Thai Party MP and former Tourism Minister, brushed aside the accusation, saying he would not resign at the moment. "As the Chairman of the TAT Board, I don't have any authority to allocate the budget. I just acknowledge and sometimes ask for clarification on the use of some budgets. I don't think I can intervene in budget allocation," he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/econom...ter-of-weerasak

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-07-01

//Edit: restored original font format of quoted text as per forum rules. -- Maestro

Edited by Maestro
Restored orignal font formatting of quoted text - Maestro

TAT seeks marketing ‘BRIGHT SPOTS’ in difficult global tourism environment

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has unveiled a multi-pronged strategic marketing campaign for 2009-10 that will build on the country’s long-standing strengths such as its geographical location, value for money factor, good image, and excellent range of products and services.

The strategies range from stepped up online-marketing efforts focusing on social media to short-duration packages targeted at nearby and neighboring countries and intensive pursuit of new markets and niche-products.

The strategies and campaigns were unveiled to the Thai tourism industry private sector at the end of the TAT’s annual marketing plan meeting on June 29.

This period is particularly important for the TAT which will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of its founding in 2010.

TAT Deputy Governor for International Marketing, Santichai Euachongprasit, invited the private sector to help the TAT improve the marketing efforts by presenting ideas and initiatives to capitalize on prevailing opportunities and trends in the wake of one of the most difficult market conditions the country has ever faced.

Specific forecasts are being avoided due to the fluidity of the domestic and international situation, but the TAT is projecting a better global and local environment in 2010.

Said Santichai, “Three key factors are impacting on visitor arrivals to Thailand. They are the global economic downturn, the country’s political situation, and the H1N1 flu. People have become more cautious about spending on leisure and business travel.”

To reinforce Thailand’s well-entrenched position as a renowned cost-effective destination, TAT will maintain the “Amazing Thailand Amazing Value” campaign.

Santichai said the TAT plans to open two new foreign offices this year in Kunming and Mumbai. These will tap into the massive potential of two of the world’s most populous countries, India and China, both of which are within four hours flight from Thailand.

In 2010, the TAT will open a new office in Jakarta to build on the intra-ASEAN market and also tap the potential of the ASEAN region’s most populous country, Indonesia.

“Boosting the activities of the overseas offices as well as all our sales and marketing representatives is going to be a major focus of attention,” said Santichai.

A key part of the effort to combat the fallout from media coverage of temporary political developments will be to step up the number and frequency of fam trips for both media and travel agents. This is designed to instill confidence among the opinion-shapers and those who influence decision-making of travelers that Thailand remains a safe and secure destination, momentary disruptions notwithstanding.

The TAT will also seek to work with TV stations abroad to boost well-informed and objective documentaries on Thailand.

It will also maintain the focus on positioning Thailand as a value-for-money shopping destination.

Among some of the other key marketing strategies: Make better use of social media like youtube, flickr, myspace, Facebook, and Twitter. Testimonial interviews will be conducted with visitors to Thailand and posted online. According to Santichai, “This reflects the undeniable change taking place in the tools of marketing.” He said that many of the TAT offices abroad now have their own online websites.

Taking advantage of short haul to Thailand based on accessibility and convenience. Thailand will be positioned as a short-break destination for 72-hour trips over long weekends in key markets like China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, and Malaysia.

The TAT has introduced 72-hour travel program booklets for several provinces including Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hua Hin, and Pattaya.

Boost Customer Relationship Marketing (CRM) efforts by building on the membership of the Amazing Thailand Card. This is based on the understanding that those who hold such cards already have an affinity with Thailand and will appreciate receiving communications about special offers and holiday opportunities.

Strategic alliances will be forged with marketing partners such as credit card companies or any others with a large membership database to build confidence and stimulate the market.

Invite more celebrities to visit Thailand and capitalize on the positive media coverage that will generate.

Boost word of mouth referrals by motivating visitors and Thai residents abroad to recommend Thailand to their friends.

Highlight special interest products, like the golfing, wedding and honeymoon, and health and wellness markets.

Santichai said Thailand’s unique selection of boutique and pool-view properties are perfect for these high-spending markets and enhance the country’s competitive advantage.

New products will also be launched such as cycling tours to scenic destinations in the provinces.

Seek new markets. Although the TAT has a direct presence in many countries, it will move more intensively into new markets such as the Central Asian Republics, Sri Lanka, Pakistan, Syria, Jordan, and even Iran.

Also this year, a major effort is to be made to boost domestic travel through increased support for local travel shows and trade events.

According to Suraphon Svetasreni, Deputy Governor for Policy and Planning, “We believe that domestic travel will grow in future as it offers relief to people during times of crisis. If they are stressed out, they travel to take a break and relax, and if they are afraid, they don’t travel overseas."

“Domestic travel will also be positioned as a means of helping the country during these difficult times by spreading income and creating jobs within the country itself. The government’s policy to hold more of its own meetings and seminars in upcountry destinations will also help,” he said.

- Press Release from the International Public Relation Division, Tourism Authority of Thailand / 2009-07-01

2010 TOURISM FORECAST

Foreign visitors expected to surge

We've see so many messages by the TAT authorities.....it's nothing more than a signal to the Thai Government to try and let them keep their jobs.

A forecast of more than 14 million tourists for 2010 in nonsense.

Have to agree with LaoPo on this one. Any TAT executive reporting factual numbers would soon find himself in the ranks of the newly unemployed :)

TAT seeks marketing ‘BRIGHT SPOTS’ in difficult global tourism environment

>>snip>>

Boost word of mouth referrals by motivating visitors and Thai residents abroad to recommend Thailand to their friends.

>>snip>>

- Press Release from the International Public Relation Division, Tourism Authority of Thailand / 2009-07-01

Perhaps they could pay Simon Burrowes to do a tour of the black community in UK to tell them how fairly they will be treated here, or get the "bar mat mum" to do the same in Oz? Or what about the latest airport scam couple to speak on the "Thailand as a value-for-money shopping destination" theme?

These bureaucrats just don't live in the real world, do they? No wonder they seem so surprised when their fanciful predictions turn out to be so much hogwash.

More and more people are checking the internet before making their travel plans. I don't know that this is a big deterrent, but it doesn't help.

Just a 'general' observation, not necessarily specific to this thread or the posters above:

-It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! :)

PS: approach any group of actual tourists anywhere in Thailand and ask them if they like Thailand. The vast majority will likely say 'We LOVE it!' (and despite the doomsayers, many will return and likely with greater #s as the world economy returns). Please pardon raining on the negative parade, will try to get more 'in line' with the theme...) :D

Two things.

1, Absolutely agree with your first comment, infact I couldn't agree more! The inane arguments born out of a simple 'news' thread are at times hysterical. However it is a good place to rant as we all know that living in Thailand can at times be infuriating!

2, The problem lies with getting the tourists here in the first place. Unfortunately my parents were caught up in the Swampy debacle in December and even though I live here, they are now loathed to come back. Not a year goes by when there isn't some reason to give Thailand a wide berth. I am still asked if Thailand is safe to travel too - mud sticks!

Two things.

1, Absolutely agree with your first comment, infact I couldn't agree more! The inane arguments born out of a simple 'news' thread are at times hysterical. However it is a good place to rant as we all know that living in Thailand can at times be infuriating!

2, The problem lies with getting the tourists here in the first place. Unfortunately my parents were caught up in the Swampy debacle in December and even though I live here, they are now loathed to come back. Not a year goes by when there isn't some reason to give Thailand a wide berth. I am still asked if Thailand is safe to travel too - mud sticks!

Which ones are these? i just see a lot of comments and questions.

Apart from a not so happy ending to your parents holiday it would be interesting to know what there thoughts were about their visit to TL we don't get a lot of feedback from holiday Travelers on TV

Regards

TB

Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! :)

It's the same with any web forum about any subject matter.

Thailand has its fair share of problems. One thing I do notice is the level of negative news stories coming from Thailand has markedly increased in the last couple of years and you can't blame whinging expats for that I'm afraid.

I have and I find the opposite to be true. In fact I find many tourists disgruntled about visas, spiralling costs, scams and other annoyances, and as a result many are heading elsewhere in the region in greater numbers. :D

lets call a spade a spade, the Thai government and also the Thai people still think that Thailand is a major tourist spot and realy special and that all the world like to visit them, well my friends they are wrong. If you compare them with countries with a similar population they are a dwarf.

France 79 million arrivals

Spain 55 million arrivals

Italy 36 millions arrivals

Even Austria much smaller surface and population than Thailand had 19 million arrivals

there direct neighbour Malaysia has more arrivals than Thailand.

If Thailand really like to become a major tourist destinations they still have a long way to go, and learn something about what the modern tourist likes, and believe me or not its not the BG and massages in Pattaya or Soi Cowboy.

By my knowledge a country like Austria has no beaches, Islands or some kind of pattaya or Soi Cowboy, but they have much more tourists than Thailand, the government should start really think why.its like that.

all information

www.unwto.org/index.php

France, Spain and Italy are all modernized EU Countries. I don't think Thailand can make that switch quickly, but slowly. You also have to consider when a country goes modernized, the "advantage" of the Baht as a 3rld world country which we have now, will be gone. So it will be as expensive as south france...

Tourist arrivals:

Airports of Thailand suffered a -22.2% fall in international passenger numbers in May compared with the same month last year, it announced today.

It has been a bad year for travel and tourism in Thailand with year-on-year monthly international traffic falls of -18.0% in January, -21.2% in February, -15.5% in March and -12.9% in April. For the first five months international traffic was down by -17.9% year-on-year

The Moodie Report

They had better ramp-up the PR campaigns, because most of their "quality tourists" come through Swampy, not back and forth in Mai Sot and Nong Khai.

```````````````````````````

From the Office of Tourism Development page tourist arrivals in Thailand by year:

2006: 13.8M

2007: 14.4M

2008: 13.1M

I used the annual summary pages for 2006 & 2007 and added up the four quarterly reports for 2008.

Thailand Office of Tourism Development

If the -17.9% losses in the first five months continue, tourist arrivals for 2009 will be below 11M for the year.

14M for 2010? I bet they want to sell you a bridge somewhere as well! :)

~WISteve

The Tourism Authority of Thailand expects 14 million foreign tourists to visit Thailand next year

:D

It's an Asian thing - pull an arbitrary figure out of the air to make everything look rosy and save one's ass. They'd be lucky to see half that amount.

-It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais.

PS: approach any group of actual tourists anywhere in Thailand and ask them if they like Thailand. The vast majority will likely say 'We LOVE it!'.

Off tangent and a little naive. You'll see whinging on any forum but perhaps more so here as there are unique issues with living in Thailand and I bet if you were to ask a bunch of expats your same question they'd also say they loved it. All the people I know do. It also depends what you're looking for - some will see misery, others will see useful information. As with anything on the net, one just needs to skip over the inevitable drivel.

By my knowledge a country like Austria has no beaches, Islands or some kind of pattaya or Soi Cowboy, but they have much more tourists than Thailand, the government should start really think why.its like that.

Apples n oranges comes to mind.

Austria's in Europe surrounded by rich countries, has top-notch cities and infrastructure, and good skiing, and generally appeals to a different kind of tourist.

What I'd love to see is the opening up of Burma. It has a fantastic stretch of Andaman coast and really high mountains up north. Now if Mr Ban could just take an uzi in with him on his next talk with the junta :)

TAT seeks marketing 'BRIGHT SPOTS' in difficult global tourism environment

>>snip>>

>>snip>>

Perhaps they could pay Simon Burrowes to do a tour of the black community in UK to tell them how fairly they will be treated here, or get the "bar mat mum" to do the same in Oz? Or what about the latest airport scam couple to speak on the "Thailand as a value-for-money shopping destination" theme?

These bureaucrats just don't live in the real world, do they? No wonder they seem so surprised when their fanciful predictions turn out to be so much hogwash.

They don't live in the real world and neither do some of the posters above who claim all is well with tourist numbers. Their brains ignore the facts. Their eyes deceive them. Though I suppose their excuse for the latter is that they bought rose-tinted glasses from an airport store.

TAT seeks marketing 'BRIGHT SPOTS' in difficult global tourism environment

>>snip>>

>>snip>>

They don't live in the real world and neither do some of the posters above who claim all is well with tourist numbers. Their brains ignore the facts. Their eyes deceive them. Though I suppose their excuse for the latter is that they bought rose-tinted glasses from an airport store.

These statistic are from 2007 but quite interesting

World Tourism Facts

"Pattaya City Council and tourism-related business in the city are now making all out efforts to woo tourists back to the resort-city in time for this year’s high season, following the most dismal low season ever, with hotel occupancy in June down to 20% of what it was a year previously."

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/index.php?...;CategoryID=006

Good to get some hard facts and figures straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So, Pattaya is suffering an 80% drop in hotel occupancy, year on year, and yet TAT persists with its fantasy figures charade. 14 million in 2010? Just ain't going to happen!

"It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! rolleyes.gif"

You have to have a bit of sympathy. As you get older you get less tolerant and more irritable - the Victor Meldrew syndrome. And as we know most falang are getting quite old here .... :)

as we know most falang are getting quite old here

you say MOST farang. are you suggesting some are getting younger?

TAT New Delhi Office to set up tour package for Indian visitors to Thailand

BANGKOK, 29 June 2009 (NNT) - The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), New Delhi Office, prepares to promote value packages to attract Indian travelers to visit Thailand.

TAT New Delhi Office Director Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya elaborated on the marketing promotion plan of 2009 that, the Indian market was continuously growing with high purchasing power. He stated that the office had planned to promote value tourist packages to stimulate Indian travelers to come to Thailand and to develop a website in order to provide information to tourists more effectively.

Since the tourism industry of Thailand had been suffering from various problems, Mr Chattan remarked that a road show would be another way to restore the industry’s liveliness. He reasoned that it would allow tourism business entrepreneurs to hold talks and exchange ideas.

An estimate of 530,000 Indian tourists is expected to visit Thailand in 2009. Currently, there are 3 main groups of Indian travelers to Thailand, which are 70% for travel and recreation, 20% for conference, and 10% for wedding.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 29 June 2009

article here

IF an increased number of Indian tourists make the trip to LOS in response to this initiative, it'll be interesting to see whether and to what extent they are made to feel welcome at hotels, restaurants etc. Look through some of the guest reviews of hotels and you will find a significant (IMO) number of negative comments from Indian visitors about the surly treatment they received. Maybe the hotel/restaurant's need for some income when the market is so depressed will trump the evidently ingrained racism............. Hmmmmm, maybe. :)

• 3 weeks later...

2010 Tourism Forecast = TAT looking into a crystal ball and asking how many tourists will come to thailand next year

Seriously TAT and other agencies who try to forecast are a total joke, seriously put into the equation of

Tourism+H1N1+Global Recession+Policitical Mess every year= TOTAL SLOWDOWN IN TOURISTS

As a business owner there is no way thailand is going to have the same amount of tourists as last year or the year before

Total Global recovery may not really even fully begin till 2011 and add rising unemployment globally for at least another year. The only real concern should be the h1n1 at the moment as this seems possible to have more impact than thailands political mess.

Here's my crystal ball reading ( As long as h1n1 doesn't get worse, thailand doesn't have another policitcal temper tamtum ) maybe 10 million tourists.

"It's a good thing most tourists are checking the internet before travelling. Unfortunately, if they check TV.com they'll find a core majority of disgruntled whinging Expats constantly bashing Thailand and Thais. This seems to be the target audience, or at least it appears the most vocal one. Misery LOVES company (and apparently there's profit in it;) Enjoy! rolleyes.gif"

You have to have a bit of sympathy. As you get older you get less tolerant and more irritable - the Victor Meldrew syndrome. And as we know most falang are getting quite old here .... :)

I tire of the constant concern and attention brought to thereof regarding the 'tourism' thing. Doesn't really affect me or mine. The illusion that has been easily seeded that the tourism industry {and related} is far more important than most anything......reality - most aren't dependent upon it. Directly or indirectly. Make-believe. Repeated to us time again.

"Pattaya City Council and tourism-related business in the city are now making all out efforts to woo tourists back to the resort-city in time for this year's high season, following the most dismal low season ever, with hotel occupancy in June down to 20% of what it was a year previously."

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/index.php?...;CategoryID=006

Good to get some hard facts and figures straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So, Pattaya is suffering an 80% drop in hotel occupancy, year on year, and yet TAT persists with its fantasy figures charade. 14 million in 2010? Just ain't going to happen!

SOME Pattaya hotels, and I would assume the expensive ones that have moved in in the past few years, are doing badly.

My cheap and cheerful hotel is doing as well as it ever has. In fact, I couldn't get the floor I wanted as full.

So, while all the fancy places aiming at the hi end market are doing badly, the usual ( low end ) tourists are probably still coming in much the same numbers.

If the authorities could take their heads out of their backsides long enough to look at reality, they might realise that going for the hi end was never sustainable in a country so corrupt and with such rubbish infrastructure. However, it is unlikely that anybody that could make a difference would even care.

Anyway, I think the downturn is a good thing.

Perhaps now-

the relentless destruction of Thailand's once beautiful beaches will cease.

Pattaya will stop trying to become Monaco.

low end tourists will once again be welcome.

the baht will go down.

long stay visas will be easier to obtain.

The past few years have done nothing to make Thailand a BETTER place, just an unhappier one, more concerned with money than a contented population.