Vfr 400 Update

Well i have been busy lately, but not riding..

After some running about, and trying to sort the carb out my CDI bit the dust. Apparently MSD coil made contact with something and grounded out. this in turn killed the CDI and the coil. 6000 baht later I had a new CDI from Tawain...

Next on the list of woes, my RVF35 carb for some reason that no person can fathom keeps flooding. These things have been apart so many times i stopped counting. Between myself and 3 other mechanics, no one has yet been able to sort them out, so off they came. Now she is running the standard carb jetted for altitude. Ride quality is fantastic although i miss the effortless accelleration the other carbs offered. That said if you know a carb guru post his or her contact info as i am not keen to let a 30000 baht carb sit on the shelf since no one knows how to fix it!!

lastly for now. Tail section got removed yesterday. Original VFR unit was purchased in BKK and is in the process of being repaired and painted locally. After endless needling i will now have a pinion seat on the VFR for my significant other.

All in all you guys should get to see picks by monday, or at least i am hoping to take photos by then!

My mechanic finally told me he shipped that engine off to you.

My vfr has had no problems for a month, driving ever day for 2+ hours.

She drives so beautifully.

Unfortunately because of lack of money, I am now selling it and I have a rattling NSR toy. :)

Bought mine for 65k. New engine and many parts = 35k+. Now a 100,000 baht bike. Shit...

Selling for 60k.......

My mechanic finally told me he shipped that engine off to you.

My vfr has had no problems for a month, driving ever day for 2+ hours.

She drives so beautifully.

Unfortunately because of lack of money, I am now selling it and I have a rattling NSR toy. :)

Bought mine for 65k. New engine and many parts = 35k+. Now a 100,000 baht bike. Shit...

Selling for 60k.......

wow smoking deal, that is a nice bike. I like the NSR too, light weight and thin. Good for BKK!

ummm...after all the problems you guys have had with your bikes....ummm...maybe you should be looking for other means of transportation. :)

The VFR 400, as old as it is, remains a sweet ride- but any bike that old is going to require a lot of maintenance and care. I'd never recommend one as a commuter or primary mode of transportation- but it would be great to have one as a project/track bike.

ummm...after all the problems you guys have had with your bikes....ummm...maybe you should be looking for other means of transportation. :)

The VFR 400, as old as it is, remains a sweet ride- but any bike that old is going to require a lot of maintenance and care. I'd never recommend one as a commuter or primary mode of transportation- but it would be great to have one as a project/track bike.

I use my vfr everyday for 2 hours or more for transportation. Its still as slim as an nsr when you go by overall width and is actually a tad slimmer than the cbr400. Ive had it 2 months, and the first month had problems, but the last month is problem free and just a sweet ride. Maybe i have been lucky.

Ive had it 2 months, and the first month had problems, but the last month is problem free and just a sweet ride. Maybe i have been lucky.

"Lucky"? After replacing an engine, and all the other various parts?

guess it depends on what floats your boat.

For 200000 baht i could have bought a new 250 ninja or a Dtracker.

Instead i have a unique bike that can cook either one "when" it is running hahaha. Oh welll different strokes different folks.

Well talked to Matt with Tyga performance out of Pattaya and they are going to go through my carb and set it up to a baseline setting.

Went by the shop and they have repaired and epoxied the seat fairing, so all that is left is to sand it and start painting it!

Depends on the luck of the bike.. I had a CBR400 that over a nearly 3 year period needed nothing more than oil changes, tyres, and chain and sprokets..

here is what the local paint shop did with the original tail section. With repairs, paint and clear coat a even 2000 baht charge. here is how it turned out. full bike photos will have to wait till tuesday.

overall quality is good in my opinion. not a super glossy clear coat but that might not be bad as my last one cracked while removing panels, so it had very little flexibility.

repair wise they did an excellent job as someone had either stepped on it or crushed it with something as it was fairly damaged.

post-66923-1246706478_thumb.jpg

post-66923-1246706815_thumb.jpg

well today was a busy day.

sent off the NC35 carbs to Tyga Performance today.

and

dropped off the bike to the paint shop for a respray.

The tail section and bottom fairing are going to get color matched to the pearl black that is on the front. The under fairing was cut down in size due to conflict with the rear brake lever and suffered some serious cracks from a poor bondo job. since the owner likes repeat costumers and i offered to break the components down and pull off the bike for him he reduced his price to 1000 baht for each section. total cost 2000 baht.

on a side note while on my way to drop the bike off a guy on a black and gold Yamaha wearing a Rossi jacket blew by me today. sweet bike and one fast rider! props

well my vfr had just had its carbs cleaned and is once again running just perfect for a sunday morning thrash along the coast road to work

post-29465-1247987262_thumb.jpg

had mine for 6+ years and never had an issue beyond leaving the ignition on all to frequently and waking up to a dead battery..

as an aside, i have never understood why people would put an rvf sticker on a vfr.

post-26132-1247998076_thumb.jpg

post-26132-1247998201_thumb.jpg

The sticker guy is dyslexic?

possibly, but i reckon that its probably more of a phenomenon similar to putting an m badge on a 318i.

on one of my resprays it did return with rvf badging, but the spell check caught it before the clear coat.

possibly, but i reckon that its probably more of a phenomenon similar to putting an m badge on a 318i.

on one of my resprays it did return with rvf badging, but the spell check caught it before the clear coat.

Well, at a third of the price the 318i can go just as fast as the M3 (although it takes 3x as long to get to that speed and is only 1/4 as cool doing it)..... :)

Well, at a third of the price the 318i can go just as fast as the M3 (although it takes 3x as long to get to that speed and is only 1/4 as cool doing it)..... :)

what if its got a turbo?

weighs less, cost is comparable at that point, would it be M material at that point? granted the suspension would be the only difference i think, but BMWs as a rule have great suspesnion i am told

what if its got a turbo?

weighs less, cost is comparable at that point, would it be M material at that point? granted the suspension would be the only difference i think, but BMWs as a rule have great suspesnion i am told

Well, I'll assume we're talking about the E90 3 series. There's little appreciable difference in weight between a 318i and a M3 (an M3 coupe weighs 175 kg more than a 318i coupe). It's also down a 147 kW compared to the M3. My research, especially when I had an E30 318i, into the turbocharging scene indicated that most of the smaller BMW engines couldn't be pushed that far...especially into M3 range. Even if you did get the turbo setup or install a 2jz-gte you still only have a base 3 series and are a poser!

There is an M3 killer in the 3 series lineup; the 335i. Twin turbo and similar performance at about 75% of the cost is really nice.