Please Help. Australians Moving To Thailand.

A Multi Entry Non Immigrant Visa valid for 12 months. Reason to Visit friends. Do the last border run just before it expires and you get another 90 days making a total of 15 months. The Consulate in Perth seems to be the favourite place to apply. You would not get another one with the immediate area so you would have to go back to Australia to get another one when it expires.

There is no guarantee this would be possible indefinitely as things can and do change.

With an online business you would legally need a Work Permit that is problematic to get.

You would not find it easy to get a part time job that gives you a work permit. There are not many jobs that are open to non Thai,s.

Living here with an on-line income would be considered working. You would need a work permit and you would have to pay tax on your earnings

A Multi Entry Non Immigrant Visa valid for 12 months. Reason to Visit friends. Do the last border run just before it expires and you get another 90 days making a total of 15 months. The Consulate in Perth seems to be the favourite place to apply. You would not get another one with the immediate area so you would have to go back to Australia to get another one when it expires.

There is no guarantee this would be possible indefinitely as things can and do change.

With an online business you would legally need a Work Permit that is problematic to get.

You would not find it easy to get a part time job that gives you a work permit. There are not many jobs that are open to non Thai,s.

Living here with an on-line income would be considered working.

You would need a work permit and you would have to pay tax on your earnings

Hands up, all those who have an online income and have declared it for Thai taxation........................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

................................................................................

I thought so.......Nobody......... :)

Non immigrant O is if you are married to a Thai. Best way i have found in the past before being Married (been here ten years) is multiple entry 90 day tourist visa and getting extensions for 1 month every 3 months so that gives you 12 months. The best place i have found to renew a multiple entry tourist visa is Burma (its easy). As for an ED visa you get a year and is renewable, but if you leave the country in that year it is cancelled. And you have to get another. You only need a letter from the school (but you have to pay for the course) they dont care if you dont go and no one is the wiser. Always plenty of ways around visas as they keep changing the rules (provided you have money). As for an online business as far as i know (and have experience in this) you are not really working in Thailand or Australia, you are working in thin air. Also if you have no real tie's to Australia eg house etc, other incomes, you can make your money tax free (cost me over $10,000 to find that out) anyway hope all this helps, plenty of food for thought.

Hi, this may be slightly off topic however I am interested to find out further information about the tax free apect of things. I am also from Astralia.

Where might I find such information? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Non immigrant O is if you are married to a Thai. Best way i have found in the past before being Married (been here ten years) is multiple entry 90 day tourist visa and getting extensions for 1 month every 3 months so that gives you 12 months. The best place i have found to renew a multiple entry tourist visa is Burma (its easy). As for an ED visa you get a year and is renewable, but if you leave the country in that year it is cancelled. And you have to get another. You only need a letter from the school (but you have to pay for the course) they dont care if you dont go and no one is the wiser. Always plenty of ways around visas as they keep changing the rules (provided you have money). As for an online business as far as i know (and have experience in this) you are not really working in Thailand or Australia, you are working in thin air. Also if you have no real tie's to Australia eg house etc, other incomes, you can make your money tax free (cost me over $10,000 to find that out) anyway hope all this helps, plenty of food for thought.

Hi, this may be slightly off topic however I am interested to find out further information about the tax free apect of things. I am also from Astralia.

Where might I find such information? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TAX

Thailand and Australia have a TAX treaty, if you pay tax on income in one country you dont pay it in another.

However.

If your income is neither earnt in Australia or Thailand eg trading shares on the net with international stock, it is not considered to be earnt in any specific country, you are really using intellectual property (your mind) to make the money. If you were doing this in Australia you would be liable for tax on any income. Trading equals a trading profit.

To qualify for being tax free in Thailand, with the double tax treaty, you must have no ties to Australia, no medicare, not be a member of any clubs, own nothing there and basically have no intention of returning (pretty harsh, but you can change your mind at any time), you can keep private health cover in Australia. You need to have a status as non-resident for tax purposes.

It all comes down to what business you are doing and how you do it, how long you have been here and so forth. By the way in my example of trading shares, if you do this there is no capital gains tax on shares in Thailand, and since you live here you would not be liable for tax, even if you are trading Australian shares. (non-resident for tax purposes)

I really do recommend a TAX lawyer. Yes it costs money for these professionals, so make sure your you make enough for it to be worth while. You can expect an initial bill of AUD$10,000. Accountants can do it on the cheap, but TAX is a law and must be dealt with by the appropriate professionals.

I have been non resident for tax purposes for about 6 years. I hope this helps.

Thanks for all that info about the tax stuff. We do own a house in Australia and have life insurance and all that stuff here. So we will be declaring the income we make from our editing business and paying tax in Australia.

The research that I've done so far has told me that we won't need a working visa in Thailand for our online business, in fact, they wouldn't give us one for it. I've contacted several lawyers in Thailand about this. Our online business doesn't qualify us for a working visa in Thailand. The business is based in Adelaide, we have an Australian business number, all the money goes into our Australian business account, so for all intents and purposes it is an Australian business. Just because the owners of it will happen to be in Thailand doesn't mean we need a working visa while we are there ... at least, this is what I've been told so far by various parties.

Maybe in the future if we sold our house and cut ties to Australia then we could consider the option of being a non-resident for tax purposes etc so we don't have to pay any tax. But that is probably a bit down the track for us. We really don't want to cut any ties to Australia right now, we want to know that we can come back at any time and be in the same position as we are now... since we have never lived overseas before, we figure this is the smart thing to do.

We really don't want to cut any ties to Australia right now, we want to know that we can come back at any time and be in the same position as we are now... since we have never lived overseas before, we figure this is the smart thing to do.

A sensible move.

You never know when a return home may be required.

Problems in Thailand.........

Health issues....................

are two possibilities.