You Know You've Been In Thailand Too Long When...

eyebee

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You instinctively duck your head every time you pass another couple talking.

You can perfectly match two chop stix from a stack of 50 before you begin your meal of noodles.

You put the accent on the last sylable of every word, english or otherwise.

You can run in flip flops.

You can correctly spell the last name of every Thai you know.

Lime green flip flops match your entire wardrobe.

Your grunting has taken on 10 distinct sounds and meanings.

Hello folks,

You've been in Thailand too long when... you think a Honda Civic is a good car, ... gold will be the right colour for an automobile...

You've been here far too long when you... wrong- waied a service station, ampur, stadion or similar instead of a wat, only because you felt the urge to do so... :o

Regards, Patex

QUOTE(RDN @ 2005-03-17 21:55:41)

QUOTE(aletta @ 2005-03-17 14:41:31)

You leave your car engine running at the petrol station.

...and make a few mobile phone calls while you're waiting

What's wrong with that? 

And leave your car with a cigarette burning(not me) but it is seen sometimes.

Someone says 'I saw this gorgeous girl in the Mall' and you look at them as if they're insane

Worse than that, you notice the ugly ones more than the beautiful ones!! :D

True,true

I used to count the beautiful ones until I found that counting the ugly ones was easier :o

Not only do you leave the engine running but you say nothing to the attendant's mate who is sitting by the pump having a fag. :D Honestly saw it on Thursday.

Note for our U.S. friends. A 'fag' is British for a cigarette :D

Aletta, I'm sure you know what a fag is in The States :o

When you refill your empty bottle of M150 with lao kao in the local grocery on the way to work

I used to do that. 10 baht to keep me going until lunchtime! Never heard of any other expats/farang doing this. Funny thing is that I used to think that my colleagues at a 5 star hotel didn't know.

You have been in Thailand too long when you laugh when you see someone drinking soda, by itself!

when you speak in Thai to other local farang as "it's simpler to understand"....

:o:D:D Today an Italian came to visit my Italian neighbour who had already gone out somewhere. I can't speak Italian so I shouted to him "Bai laew". He understood :D

An old german guy stopped by a restaurent i was eating at once and asked me in poor English if I could speak German, I replied no, so he asked in Thai if I could speak Thai, I said a little, and for about 20 mins we chatted in (basic) thai, much to the amusement of the local staff.

He told me he often goes to Chiang Rai where many farangs converse in Thai as the middle language

we've both been here too long :D

You walk head first into a door that says "Pull" but actually means it. TWICE!

:o I do that all the time. I also complained to a mate once that his bathroom door was locked only to realise that it was one of the few doors in Thailand that actually has to be opened by turning the handle anticlockwise not clockwise like I had been trying for the previous 5 minutes.

I was drunk but still...