Tat Organises Shopping Contest To Boost Tourism

george

With a gaggle of Asian actors, singers etc will follow a gaggle of asian photographers and video crews etc. The photos and video clips will likely then find there way into hundreds of popular asian magazines and onto popular asian tv slots etc= essentially FREE targeted mass advertising (less the comparatively small cost of bringing them here).

Don't know many people who base their holiday plans around a shopping game show staring what may well turn out to be plastic pop stars. Maybe I'm wrong , but seeing Madonna running around the streets of Paris YSL and Armani shopping bags in hand wouldn't persuade me to go to France for my next holiday irrespective of what magazine I saw it in. Good food, wine, service, accommodation, beaches would persuade me. Boy bands shopping for jeans wouldn't.

As you said though may turn out to be a free targeted mass advertising coup, I just think they are advertising the wrong stuff. But, i'm British and maybe the asians have a different set of ideas when booking a holiday.

Chok Dee to you too.

Cheers JC - actually, Asians seem to go gagga over fluffy actors and actresses and the market is usually affluent. Therefore I see the silly aspect but also the savvy aspect. Add in the other subtle aspects of the seemingly silly campaign of showing off a modern Bkk (shopping malls, elevated skytrain with connecting walks etc) all portrayed in a 'seemingly' safe environment, plus having them shop for Thai brands on top and all in all, damned clever really.

As one not taken by all the 'star' glitz etc, I get your Madonna point. Mel Gibson was was filming back in my home town and a traffic cop stuck his head in my window and apologised for what would be a lengthy delay. I stuck my head out and shouted 'Hey Mel, act like a cop and get this traffic moving' (big grin from Mr Gibson;)

However, if you've seen the clever 'I feel like a star' advert on CNN with Costner, bet many remember the airline... (good advert that, altho, bet Costner wouldn't want it seen in the west;) :)

Yeah, must be an Asian thing cause I don't get it, so I guess all we can do is wish the project 'chok dee' and hope it puts some baht back in the pockets of the hoteliers and businesses that depend on all tourist to earn a daily wage, and that TAT hasn't wasted x millions of Thai tax payers money again.

As they say; different strokes for different folks.

TAT organises shopping contest to boost tourism

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) on Wednesday launched Shopping Challenge 2009, a shopping contest, at leading department stores in Bangkok to boost Thai tourism.

So "Thai tourism" has been reduced to shopping sprees?

Why not actually make Thailand a worthwhile place to visit? You know,

remove the "red-light" districts in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and in every nook and cranny of this country (one can't enjoy night life without encountering professionals on the prowl at least a few times. yes, this includes "nice" places)

promoting real Thai culture (without the "only 500 baht" shouting)

cleaning up the country (eg. beaches, the sea, klongs and air)

educating taxi drivers, guides etc not to try and rip off everyone at the first opportunity

inform operators of popular attractions to reduce prices of common items (eg. water at 50 baht is a no-no)

remove dual pricing and the way-over-the-top prices and rates tourists encounter daily

offer "Made in Thailand" good at human prices (not soap at 400 baht a bar)

just to name a few...

This might actually put Thailand in a better light and build a solid foundation for long term growth.

However, knowing Thailand and Thais, todays payoff is more important than tomorrows potential.

So how is this going to boost tourism??? Is it going to be televised in 11 Asian countries or just in Thailand if at all. If not how is it going to promote tourism.

I have a feeling someone at TAT saw the amazing race asia, went out and had a few beers with his mates, had one of those drunken beer ideas, 'lets do the amazing race shopping in Bangkok', woke up the next day and actually put it into practice.

Here's a better idea for promoting tourism - free travel on any and all government bus, coach or rail service for any foreign tourist when their passport is shown with the 30 day tourist visa (non immigrant holders and thais excluded) between the months of x and y and the waiving of all entrance fees to national parks.

Sure the coaches etc may not be the best, but the idea that once you arrive in Thailand you can travel for free would hold an appeal, especially when times are hard and more money would go into the local economy rather than state coffers.

Beats some teenage Korean pop star being given a wad of cash and told to go shop

Don't worry about TAT using tax money to pay for this, it was obviously funded by KP's airport concession and that cheap little scheister from Sri Lanka!

A think a better way to promote tourism in Thailand is a few guarantees from government that all unofficial and unregistered protests and protesters will be dealt with swiftly and professionally by a non-corrupt Police force with a willing army support. Also that these 'scams' that are taking place at the main tourist hub (swampy) have been dealt with and the perp's are in custody awaiting trial and at best a lenghty custodial sentence. The pavements have been replaced and there is now less chance of an ankle snapping moment. No taxi is allowed on to BKK's roads with a 'broken' meter. Tuk Tuk's can no longer offer '5 baht all day specials'. All scammers at the main tourists sites have been rounded up and dumped on the moon where they belong. The current Police farce have been retrained to help tourists, not hinder them. Street hawkers have been taught manners and won't block the already too narrow and unsafe pavements.

I don't actually mind the dual pricing system as long as it is advertised clearly. Westerners on holiday do have more disposable income that Thai's so why not charge a little more. I agree that national parks are a rip off and that should change but bartering over the price of something with a street hawker or in a market is all part of the fun of visiting Thailand and in particular BKK, if done respectfully and with a smile on your face!

Having said all that, what the hel_l are TAT thinking! Unbelievable, actually no it isn't, it's TAT!

Is a list available where I can read which distinguished VIP's have been invited?

The likes of Jacky Chan, Jet Li....................... or Nippon Boy Bands? :)

Girl's Generation, Super Junior, Wonder Girls, Paula Taylor's boyfriend, more than likely the type of celebrity they would invite.

I can sum up all these people in three words: 'Shower of cu**s'

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) on Wednesday launched Shopping Challenge 2009, a shopping contest, at leading department stores in Bangkok to boost Thai tourism.

The competition was organised at nine department stores in the heart of Bangkok linked to the BTS Sky Train by 'skywalks' for access.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-02

and the highlight of the campaign is that lucky tourists will all receive a free LV purse at King Power in Suvannabum......... before they leave the country.

The competition was organised at nine department stores in the heart of Bangkok linked to the BTS Sky Train by 'skywalks' for access.

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2009-07-02

The "Challenge" they refer to is how to get out of Thailand without being scammed..... You want TukTuk? 8 hours 20 Baht....

Can they purchase Thai products from Nana Plaza?

TAT is brilliant the way they put taxes in action!

I don't think they have completed the new "Skywalk" direct from Nana BTS into Nana Plaza yet, but it must be high on their list of things to do......

With a gaggle of Asian actors, singers etc will follow a gaggle of asian photographers and video crews etc. The photos and video clips will likely then find there way into hundreds of popular asian magazines and onto popular asian tv slots etc= essentially FREE targeted mass advertising (less the comparatively small cost of bringing them here).

As you said though may turn out to be a free targeted mass advertising coup, I just think they are advertising the wrong stuff. But, i'm British and maybe the asians have a different set of ideas when booking a holiday.

Chok Dee to you too.

Cheers JC - actually, Asians seem to go gagga over fluffy actors and actresses and the market is usually affluent. Therefore I see the silly aspect but also the savvy aspect. Add in the other subtle aspects of the seemingly silly campaign of showing off a modern Bkk (shopping malls, elevated skytrain with connecting walks etc) all portrayed in a 'seemingly' safe environment, plus having them shop for Thai brands on top and all in all, damned clever really.

Aren't these the very same upscale shopping malls which every weekend are clogged with loads of Thai celebs screaming into microphones in the atrium spaces , urging passing punters to have as much "sanook" as the eardrums can stand while flogging the latest whitening cream or healthy sugar drink??

It certainly attracts a lot of Thais, so it must be a great idea to change the faces for some who need an interpreter to shout into the microphone for them. Excellent change of pace and strategic thinking. Of course it will be a success. It also gives THAI airways a chance to show off its new dynamic customer centred expertise in transporting everyone from around Asia in their new aircraft.

Why would Asians come to Thailand to pay more for luxury items than they would in their home countries?

The only bargains in Thailand are counterfeits, trinkets and junk, and these borderline celebrities won't be buying any of that tat (pun intended).

Oddly enough someone asked me in Paris where Galleries Lafayette Magazine (store) was because,

she had heard Madonna shopped there the week before.

Sadly, for her, she was standing right in front of it... I pointed.

Celebrity DOES sell, that's why we see so many celebrities in ads world wide.

Seems to all be part of the government department stampede to be seen to be doing something despite the fact they are doing nothing, is there a public service reshuffle due? All this despite the fact that no one but the newspapers in search of a media release to fill space cheaply could care less anyway.

Awaiting breaking news from the prisons and land-fill departments on their new initiatives to boost tourism. Should be just as riveting.

Hi All.

I believe that the TAT are being utterly stupid in this idea. All they got to do is go to Phuket and ask the tourists, The first thing they would ask for is decent public transport so they could avoid the local taxi mafia, 400 baht from Karon to Patong, in a bus should be less than 20baht the next thing is get a grip of the drinks prices in Phuket and most of South Thailand. It cannot be right that an English Tourist going for a taxi ride for 4 kilometre and a couple of drinks ends up paying more than twice as much as it would cost in the west end of london, and in London you get a decent cab and a fit and proper driver. So come on TATget rid of the theives and mafia from phuket , do that and the tourist will return,.

phupaman

Hi All.

I believe that the TAT are being utterly stupid in this idea. All they got to do is go to Phuket and ask the tourists, The first thing they would ask for is decent public transport so they could avoid the local taxi mafia, 400 baht from Karon to Patong, in a bus should be less than 20baht the next thing is get a grip of the drinks prices in Phuket and most of South Thailand. It cannot be right that an English Tourist going for a taxi ride for 4 kilometre and a couple of drinks ends up paying more than twice as much as it would cost in the west end of london, and in London you get a decent cab and a fit and proper driver. So come on TATget rid of the theives and mafia from phuket , do that and the tourist will return,.

phupaman

Why not give out lollipops at Swampy? Different colors and sizes........colors based on your nationality, sizes based on your income level (low income = small lollipop, medium income = medium sized lollipop, high income = large lollipop).

That will not only show that they care about other nationalities, but it will also fit in with their social engineering program based on income.

If you are like me, you will certainly be upset that you got the small lollipop because of your income and will be discouraged from visiting a second time.

Maybe a good idea..........as good as anything else they have suggested thus far........I think. :)

So "Thai tourism" has been reduced to shopping sprees?

Why not actually make Thailand a worthwhile place to visit? You know,

remove the "red-light" districts in Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai and in every nook and cranny of this country (one can't enjoy night life without encountering professionals on the prowl at least a few times. yes, this includes "nice" places)

promoting real Thai culture (without the "only 500 baht" shouting)

cleaning up the country (eg. beaches, the sea, klongs and air)

educating taxi drivers, guides etc not to try and rip off everyone at the first opportunity

inform operators of popular attractions to reduce prices of common items (eg. water at 50 baht is a no-no)

remove dual pricing and the way-over-the-top prices and rates tourists encounter daily

offer "Made in Thailand" good at human prices (not soap at 400 baht a bar)

just to name a few...

This might actually put Thailand in a better light and build a solid foundation for long term growth.

However, knowing Thailand and Thais, todays payoff is more important than tomorrows potential.

I notice that you didn't include Hat Yai in your list. Is that because it's only farang so called "red light" districts that concern you, and not all the Asian ones?

Also, if your wish came true the the resultant immediate unemployment of untold thousands of Thais would cause such an enormous increase in the crime rate that there would be almost no farang tourists arriving at all.

Lastly, the "prowlers" that so upset you are not operating in the so called "red light districts" ( unless you go to only those areas for your "night life" ), but are free lance, so I fail to see what closing Patpong, Nana, Soi Cowboy et al would do other than cause an enormous increase in the number of your "prowlers".

For those of us that remember Sukhumvit before early closing, your idea is without merit.

Incidentally, in an economic downturn, what would you expect all the "ex red light area" workers to do; go home and commit suicide so that you can enjoy your "night life" activities free from disturbance by the poorest in Thai society who are trying to make a living without resorting to theft?