Are New Pc's Backwards Compatible With Old Windows

VocalNeal

The steam powered office computer is playing up. It used to print via USB to the MFC but now the secretary has to reboot about 3-4 times a day.

I figure maybe it is a USB related problem as the PC is at least 5 years old maybe it is the version of 1.X vs. 2.X USB. It is running a licensed copy of Windows 2000 which admittedly is old by does the job enough for what the secretary does.

Can I get a main board and processor fitted,plug in the hard drive and and still run Windows 2000. It seems unnecessary to upgrade and pay money to MS as it works fine the way it is. I'm not happy running bootleg coppies as eventually the secretary with click "Upgrades are available" etc..

I am not a printer person, but if it is starting to breakdown, there are several remedies, start with the easiest which is to reinstall the printer driver after ya have removed the existing one and rebooted.

Reboot is important. Install and reboot again. Test.

Dont buy new hardware.

Ya might want to check and replace the cables to the hub/printer - they get gummed up - use alcohol, toothbrush, cotton buds, etc, dry carefully. Sometimes simply buying a new $5 cable fixes all.

XP has better driver integration, but thats a silly route to take. W2K is a fork of M$NT and very good.

Perhaps the printer needs service - especially HP are sensitive to service intervals.

Other will be here soon

BR>Jack

As jack states don't replace hardware until you try things he mentions.

Although not necessary since I assume it worked okay before you might install Service Pack 4 for Win2k while your trying different things.

Have you tried using any other type device, like flash drive, in the same port?

Edited by ballbreaker

As jack states don't replace hardware until you try things he mentions.

Although not necessary since I assume it worked okay before you might install Service Pack 4 for Win2k while your trying different things.

Have you tried using any other type device, like flash drive, in the same port?

Thanks,

I will download service pack 4 and try a new cable. Thumb drives work fine. I've removed and reinstalled the printer driver. Only thing I notice is that the printer seems to always go to USB port 5 or 6 when no other USB device is connected.

Chaging your motheroard could exose you to 2 amin problems.

There may not be drivers available to suit your periferals and video card etc.

If you are using an OEM verion of the operating system you are not legally permitted to cange as it is considered a new machine and may not validate.