Alternatives To Ubc

ThaiPauly

My subsciption renewal has just arrived for UBC

24,000 Baht :)

I am loathe to continue with them mainly because they have cut out all the BBC programmes (except news)

I used to watch this chanel around 40% of my viewing time

Are there any alternatives?

I am loathe to continue with them mainly because they have cut out all the BBC programmes (except news)

We had a thread on this just a few weeks ago. As I recall the options identified were (a) getting a semi-legal card for other packages viewable in Asia e.g. Multichoice Africa, TelkomVision, Astro etc (expensive), (b ) using a pirate card to get Dream (not legal), ( c) using cardsharing to get one or more of these packages (not legal); (c ) using Slingbox or Pctvanywhere to receive a package you subscribe to in another counntry in Thailand (picture dependent on speed of internet connection) (d) using a web streaming server (worse picture than option c) or (e ) free-to-air satellite system with motorized C-band dish (range of English language programmes is quite limted). If the programming is for Thai family members option (e ) is not too bad and there is also the possibilty of buying the Samart (NBT) package with top-up TV for a one off fee and then a small monthly payment. I don't know if anybody else can suggest anything better?

Edited by citizen33

The True Vision UBC monopoly is rubbish, the more people that dump it the better, might wake them up a bit.

Alternatives: Read a book, online TV, DVD's, go for a walk, go to a bar, go to a restaurant etc.

Have you tried BBC I-player? Can you get that ok in Thailand on the net?

You cannot get any online UK TV channels outside of the UK without going through a proxy service based in the UK, but the the TV channels are pretty quick at blocking any new proxys so you may find you have to change the proxy you use often. google search UK proxy

Try searching on TV on this subject, as there was a many page discussion on this exact topic on the Pattaya forum not so long ago..

Urhhh what do you mean 24000baht ?

Cable TV - depending on where you are - may not be the best, but for 350 Baht a month I get to see F1, rugby, fishing, golf, tennis, BBC news, Bloomberg. Little football. Have music channels. 3 cartoon channels - amazing how many Thai women like cartoons!

Had UBC b4 and did not like it.

Add the option of d/l my favourite movies and tv progs, I am content.

I've never had a such a good selection of TV shows since I started using bit torrents.

I couldn't possibly live with the guilt of giving 24,000 baht a year to crooks like True/UBC for such garbage service.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to a cable service, or I'd use that too since they're not usually more than a few hundred baht a month.

Edited by Beacher

Gave up on UBC too as rarely watch TV and without BBC it is a total waste.

Occasionally I have seen English language news/other programs running amidst the "regular" Thai stuff.

Perhaps we could make a list of anything watchable at a consistent time each day/week here.

Went to pay this month rental on a Gold Package today told that I now have to pay for three months in advance but if I go down one package I still only have to pay one month in advance so another 600 Baht saved and there is no football on for next month any how they really do know how to run a business in Thailand