Flu Death In Phuket?

Valentine

My GF just returned home with some breakfast which she bought nearby Kajonkiat school which she said was closed for a big clean up. The rumour mill amongst the street vendors was that one child had died from flu. Consider it may be just rumour &/or the school has closed early for the holidays next week but .....

My twin daughthers go to school in Phuket Town & yesterday when I picked them up they were chatting about how they did not have to do any school work as many of the students in their class were sick. They also claimed that influemza 2009 has been confirmed at their school but it was being kept quiet.

I think we all realise this flu cannot be contained (I just heard on the BBC the UK has already stated this) with 5 confirmed deaths in Thailand which are probably in line with deaths from normal seasonal flu. However there are other possibilities such as others having died outside the reporting system (an example of this are road accident statistics which do not seem to include those from private hospitals), there is some type of cover up (Thai authorities did not handle the avian flu at all well when it first appeared & the PM stating vaccines will be available in a couple of months when to date none have been developed), being a totally new flu strain could mean there is quite a knowledge gap.

My feeling is that everything about this flu should be made public so that people can make informed decisions about their health although it may cause some to panic.

There have been 25 confirmed cases of swine flu in Phuket, according to figures released by the Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) yesterday.

In addition to the seven cases reported in the last update, there have been 18 additional cases: nine hotel employees and nine students at four different schools, all in Muang District.

PPHO deputy director Dr Wiwat Keetamanoj and fellow officers visited the four schools to talk with administrators and staff, advising them to check all students each morning.

Any students with flu-like symptoms should be sent home immediately and subsequently tested for the A(H1N1) virus that causes the disease. This is the best method of preventing the spread of the disease in a classroom environment, he said.

PPHO Director Dr Pongsawas Ratanasang asked the press not to release the names of the schools with confirmed cases and does not advise closing schools following isolated cases of infection.

“Closing the schools is pretty useless, because the students may go to cinemas, karaoke bars and game centers, where they can spread the virus to others just as easily,” he said.

The best solution is to quarantine swine flu patients and treat them at home, he said.

The PPHO has asked schools to clean rooms at least once a day and open the windows of air-conditioned rooms for at least one hour a day.

Doorknobs and toilet handles in schools, entertainment venues and restaurants should also be cleaned regularly with soap or detergent.

Dr Pongsawas said the PPHO is thus far satisfied with its ability to halt the spread of the disease, which has yet to claim any lives in Phuket. The tracking of confirmed cases has revealed that the disease has only spread “three generations” in Phuket at most, he said.

Without the preventative measures put in place the number of cases on the island might already have passed the 1,000 mark, he said.

As for the thermal scanning devices at Phuket International Airport, they have proven ineffective at detecting swine flu patients and their use will be discontinued next week, he said.

Phuket has sufficient quantities of the antiviral drug oseltamivir to treat swine flu patients, but the drug will only be administered to patients in high-risk groups, such as children under the age of five, senior citizens of 65 years old or above and people suffering from preexisting medical conditions.

Those not in risk groups should be treated with bed rest and regular medication to relieve symptoms, he said.

A vaccine against the A(H1N1) virus is expected to arrive near the end of the month. Those first in line for injections will be people most likely to come into contact with infected patients, such as medical staff, childcare workers, government officers and members of the media.

A single injection of the vaccine should be effective for two or three years, he said.

Nationwide there have been 1,473 cases of swine flu resulting in five deaths.

The most recent fatality was a 15-year-old student in Chonburi province who was already suffering from chronic illnesses including a brain tumor and diabetes.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 1/7/09

My feeling is that everything about this flu should be made public so that people can make informed decisions about their health although it may cause some to panic.

I feel the same but am affraid it's wishful thinking.

We'll have to find out ourselves.

This PPHO director doesn't want to name the schools with the confirmed cases and even sees no need to close the schools. All to prevent panic.

Just as with the tsunami. They (Bkk at least) knew one was coming but never warned about it. And they succeeded; there was no panic before the tsunami hit.

So we know a child has died? or rumour?

I know they (Kajonkiat) are closed today as my daughter goes there and is off today. TBH I'm not really that worried about Swine Flu, seems to be less deadly than normal flu.

So we know a child has died? or rumour?

I know they (Kajonkiat) are closed today as my daughter goes there and is off today. TBH I'm not really that worried about Swine Flu, seems to be less deadly than normal flu.

My wifes friend has a kid that goes to Kajonkiat and that is the rumor that a kid died from it, but we know how reliable rumors can be, so... My wifes friends kid is also sick with soar throat and fever of 39-40 so who knows if its a regular cold or the swine flu... I asked has the kid been taken to the hospital and to my amazement the answer was NO.... Afraid to go to the hospital incase they say it is swine flu... I never understood the fear of finding ou the truth some people have when it comes to health...

Edited by MyphuketLife

Yesterday my kids reported about 50% of their class did not attend school. There are many possible reasons for this. Some kids are actually sick, panic or hysteria on the part of the parents &/or children, fear of the unkown as a previous poster said & this could lead to tragic consequences if people are afraid to know their true condition. I recently heard about a child dying from dengue in a poor settlement in Chalong as the people were ignorant or fearful. The reported numbers in Thailand are most likely grossly understated given that many will not go to the doctor & some will die outside the system or the cause will be put down to something else.

My nephew reported a death supposedly due to flu 2009 at his technical college. Rumour or truth, who knows, but the fact the rumours are in full swing will make it very hard to find the truth considering the cover ups which the authorities here are fond of, such as the deaths on Phi Phi & countless others.

It is supposedly a mild flu but there is still much misinformation out there & not enough hard evidence to show who is most at risk. In the early days it was stated that those with healthy immune systems were more at risk, now you need a healthy immune system to fight it off which is the case for most illnesses. There are all sorts of excuses about the deaths in Thailand with the latest being the victim was too fat, well what the f..k, so am I, but not about to quarantine myself.

Lack of reliable knowledge, not reporting the truth, over reaction, under reaction, all will ensure this flu will become much more of a problem than it really is. It is commendable that BIS informed the parents, everyone else should follow suit backed up by reports of recovery.

There was a letter sent out by Kajonkiat - 2 children from the school were diagnosed with the flu, apparently they are spraying this weekend. Although I've never understood spraying against something like the flu when you've got kids drooling and sneezing over each other.

Do you not feel your unconfirmed "rumour" adds to the hysteria (panic)?

I would prefer the thread title be changed, I think "Unconfirmed Flu Death Phuket?" would be more suitable.

Edited by huggybear

There is a strong rumour going round that one of the students at Prince of Songkhla has died of swine flu. All the locals around the campus believe it is true. I have yet to see any confirmed news story of this so for the moment it is just a rumour.

If there are also rumours that some one has died at Kajonkiet Then perhaps it starts to look more like chinese whispers than a real story.

I would prefer the thread title be changed, I think "Unconfirmed Flu Death Phuket?" would be more suitable.

Perhaps I should be more clear. The rumour mill is already in full swing so no matter what the authorities like to tell us now it will not make any difference to what people believe. I was trying to advocate full disclosure but it seems in this country that when the truth is preceived to be harmful to certain business interests then all sorts of half truths, denials & cover ups occur. Where the rumour mill can be advantageous is that it makes people more aware of the situation & so possibly take preventive measure to protect themselves & family although in the case of flu 2009 there may be no getting away from exposure.

Judging from this article http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianp...DkFZBk3vhcK4Tew there still seems to be no consensus on who is most at risk & the worrying aspect of this outbreak is that those who die seem to die fairly quickly after being dignosed. Being overweight I could be in the risky category as could my daughter who is not overweight but who can suffer from exercise induced bronchspasm. My father has emphysema so I worry he must be in a high risk category. Earlier I thought it better to catch it early while it is at a mild stage so as to have some immunity if it progresses to a more virulant form but now I am not so sure.

there still seems to be no consensus on who is most at risk & the worrying aspect of this outbreak is that those who die seem to die fairly quickly after being dignosed.

again, I'm not meaning to egg anyone on, or be controversial, but this is what makes the hysteria and I don't believe the second half of that without some true statistics.

I'm sure more people have gotten this flu, slugged paracetmyl and juice, got rest and recovered fine and it's never been reported. I believe more people will die of normal seasonal illnesses yet again, there won't be big news because not really reported.

You touched on just being healthy, getting good exercise, enough sleep and eating correctly. How about that for preventitive measures?

Monday, July 6, 2009

Kajonkietsuksa School issues statement on swine flu

phuket-Kajonkietsuksa-“K2-Butterflyâ€Â-students-on-a-tour-of-the-USS-New-Orleans-during-its-recent-port-of-call-in-Phuket-1-EpOZcLu.jpgKajonkietsuksa "K2 Butterfly" students on a tour of the USS New Orleans during its recent visit to Phuket.

PHUKET CITY: Kajonkietsuksa School has had two cases of swine flu and no deaths, the school management has said.

School Manager Permkiat Ketkul said the school closed for a "big cleaning" on Friday after the Phuket Public Health Office (PPHO) confirmed a kindergarten student as having the A(H1N1) virus two days earlier.

The PPHO inspected the entire school, which comprises two separate buildings in tambon Wichit, one for its Thai program and another for its English program.

Both infected students were in the Thai program building.

"We asked the PPHO for their suggestions. They recommended keeping our buildings very clean, but not closing the school. They said that if we had more than three students infected in the same class we should close that class. If we have more than 10 students infected in the same level, then we should close that level," Mr Permkiat said.

The school also consulted doctors from Bangkok Hospital Phuket whose children study at the school.

"The doctors told us closing the school is not the best solution and that the best method is to keep any infected students at home. One doctor showed me statistics that the number of people dying from A(H1N1) is less than 0.5%, less than the mortality rate from normal flu, which is 0.7%."

The decision to close the school on June 26 for the cleaning was more for "psychological reasons"– to make the parents feel more at ease, Mr Permkiat added.

Classes resumed on Monday, June 29, as normal.

On Wednesday parents of another student in the Thai program informed the school the child was being treated at Bangkok Phuket Hospital with a confirmed case of A(H1N1) infection.

Another student suffering from high fever at the time was also suspected of having A(H1N1), but was later diagnosed as having normal influenza, he said.

"On Thursday, two doctors with children in the school recommended against closing the school on Friday, July 3. But a doctor in Bangkok told us since we were going into a three-day holiday the next week anyway, it might be a good idea to close because it would give a six-day period during which time any other students who might have been infected would pass through the contagious stage," he said.

The school decided to close on Friday and informed the students at assembly on Thursday morning.

"When some of the parents heard about it they began to panic and wanted to take their children home that day. We told them that was their decision," he said.

Mr Permkiat said he thought much of the panic spread among parents who called each other was due to misconception that the two infected students were still on school grounds, wheras, in fact, they had not been at the school since Monday.

Rumors of a death and numerous cases of infection, such as those referred to in the Gazette / Thai Visa Phuket forum, were simply untrue, Mr Permkiat said, adding, "I think the information got twisted a lot when it was passed from parent to parent. We at the school try to do our best and we understand that parents will do anything for their kids. I think we have all learned from this experience."

During the current break the school will also spray for mosquitoes to prevent the insect-borne viral disease chikungunya from spreading, he added. spacer.gif– Stephen Fein

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-06

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Phuket university student becomes first swine flu fatality

phuket-A-swine-flu-prevention-campaign-at-Phuket-International-Airport-late-last-month-File-photo-1-JGYLPBK.jpgA swine flu prevention campaign at Phuket International Airport late last month. File photo.

PHUKET CITY: A university student who died of pneumonia at Vachira Phuket Hospital on Thursday was infected with the A(H1N1) virus that causes swine flu, lab results have confirmed.

Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) chief Dr Pongsawas Ratanasang said the student was a 19-year-old in his first year of the engineering program at Prince of Songkla University (PSU) Phuket campus.

He was a native of Phattalung province.

The lab results were released by the government-run Phuket Medical Science Center in Thalang on Monday, Dr Pongsawas said.

Like most other people who have succumbed to the virus in Thailand, the boy had a pre-existing medical condition and his mother said he was 'chronically ill'.

He had also recently been treated in a hospital in Haad Yai for a broken leg, the cast for which was removed just a few weeks ago.

These factors may have weakened his immune system and made him vulnerable to the virus, the mortality rate for which is less than 0.5 per cent of those who are infected.

The cause of death was listed as a secondary bacterial infection in the boy's lungs.

Three roommates who shared an apartment with the teenage swine flu victim have been ordered to report daily to the Phuket Provincial Health Office.

After four days neither had tested positive for A(H1N1).

Dr Pongsawas said this was the only case of A(H1N1) infection reported at PSU.

An investigation into the student's death suggests he may have contracted the virus at a nightclub, he said.

The boy died about 3pm on Thursday after a four-hour effort by doctors to treat him with antiviral drugs and a respirator failed.

The student had visited a private hospital early last week complaining of a slight fever.

He was given medication and a follow-up appointment was made.

At 1pm on Thursday, friends found him in his dorm room. He was conscious but extremely lethargic and was having difficulty breathing.

The friends rushed him to Vachira Phuket Hospital, but doctors were unable to save him.

Nationwide, the Ministry of Public Health is now reporting 11 fatalities and 156 new cases, of which 82% are students.

Of the total of 2,428 victims, 2,381 have recovered. Only 38 remain hospitalized. – Khunakorn Terdkiatkhachorn

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2009-07-08

To comment on the situation at Kajonkiet. I am a teacher there and can tell you that there is no truth to the rumour of a death in our student body.

The school has tried to please all parties and that is why we closed the school for the day on Friday. Parents are fully entitled to feel afraid for their children; who wouldn't? You must remember that we also have several teachers with their own children in the school.

At present I have heard that there are cases within almost all schools on the island. The important point to remember is that this is still a 'flu virus and treated promptly poses as much threat as any other 'flu virus.

I personally would not be so calm if I was not armed with all the facts. As stated in the article in the Phuket Gazette, we have several doctors amongst our parents and have consulted with them at length. I feel calm and confident that if there was any immediate danger to either students, teachers or parents at our school, we would be notified immediately.

Rumours have a wonderful way of being far more exciting than fact. Let's stick to the facts everybody.

The problem in this country is that reliable facts are generally hard to come by. They are witheld, kept under wraps, distorted by both the authorities & the media for many reasons which is why rumours become so widespread & easily believed.

As this flu is in it's early stages there are still many facts about it which are unknown including those most at risk. Outlandish statements by some doctors to seal the borders especially when this can be interpreted as meaning the flu is only spread by foreigners, the possibility that schools might be closed early for the mid term break, conspiracy theories about pharma going to reap huge profits selling dubious vaccines containing mercury, all help fan the flames.

The line between fact & rumour can be very small as can be seen by the rumour about the student from PSU dying which surfaced two or three days before it was actually reported. Number of infections must be understated as I do not believe they get data from every hospital & clinic which could mean the death rate is actually lower unless some are dying because of the flu but death listed as something else. Having seen some of the costs associated with testing for this flu then Thailand just cannot afford to test every suspected case as the cost would be staggering & the latest announcement that medicines will be given to those considered at risk, & exhibiting symptoms, without waiting for tests, show this. The frightening thing is the speed with which it can kill.

The problem in this country is that reliable facts are generally hard to come by. They are witheld, kept under wraps, distorted by both the authorities & the media for many reasons which is why rumours become so widespread & easily believed.

As this flu is in it's early stages there are still many facts about it which are unknown including those most at risk. Outlandish statements by some doctors to seal the borders especially when this can be interpreted as meaning the flu is only spread by foreigners, the possibility that schools might be closed early for the mid term break, conspiracy theories about pharma going to reap huge profits selling dubious vaccines containing mercury, all help fan the flames.

The line between fact & rumour can be very small as can be seen by the rumour about the student from PSU dying which surfaced two or three days before it was actually reported. Number of infections must be understated as I do not believe they get data from every hospital & clinic which could mean the death rate is actually lower unless some are dying because of the flu but death listed as something else. Having seen some of the costs associated with testing for this flu then Thailand just cannot afford to test every suspected case as the cost would be staggering & the latest announcement that medicines will be given to those considered at risk, & exhibiting symptoms, without waiting for tests, show this. The frightening thing is the speed with which it can kill.

Again, I am just at a loss as to where you are getting your information.....(?)

You keep mentioning the "speed that it kills" but did you see the PG article with the stats "Of the total of 2,428 victims, 2,381 have recovered. Only 38 remain hospitalized." How fast did these people die? Oh, wait a minute, they didn't !!!!!

If when stating certain things like the cost of testing, possible for you to state the cost and where you get the info?

I guarantee you, more people will die from normal seasonal flu, than this one. I don't believe in the alarm.

I will try & make it more simple. Of those that do die from influenza 2009 they all appear to die quite quickly after contacting the illness. I am not disputing whether or not more people die from normal seasonal flu. Today from The Nation "Disease Control Depart-ment spokesperson Dr Suppamit Chunsutiwat estimated that over 6 million to 30 million people will get the new flu virus infection and about 600 people to 1,200 people will die during the pandemic as most of people do not have immunity against the type A (H1N1) of influenza." Based on the current 5 in every 1,000 that have died so far that adds up to a lot of heartache given the worst case scenario.

Another way to look at it would be to see the numbers who contact normal seasonal flu as it could be this strain has the potential to infect many more.

Story in The Nation or BKK Post stated the cost of testing in private hospitals was between 4,000 to 5,000 Baht.

I apologize if anyone thinks I am scare mongering, it is certainly not my intent. The whole point of my original post was that we all have the right to reliable, credible & factual information.

Still thats less than are likely to die from the 'normal' flu this year.

How many people do you know that have died from the normal flu? Most people get it every couple of years.

From the UK's Dailymail in an article regarding two deaths there:

"Experts have moved to reassure the public that swine flu is no more contagious than the normal seasonal flu, and for most of those who catch it, the illness will be mild. 'The vast majority of people will recover quickly by taking paracetamol or ibuprofen, and drinking plenty of fluids,' said Dr Laurence Buckman, chairman of the BMA's GP committee. We must remember that every year there are deaths from complications of seasonal flu; this is unfortunately inevitable with any strain of influenza.'

Health Secretary Andy Burnham described Chloe's death as a 'tragedy' this morning but urged people not to worry too much. 'There have been lots of children already having the condition but making a very quick and full recovery. We do have to keep it in perspective,' he said.