6 Months In Thailand - Visa Options

I'm 34, Danish but living in UK. I'm planning to go to Thailand in September to spend some time with my Thai girlfriend, as she can not travel easily and I want to see if the relationship can hold.

I have studied some posts and the UK Thai Embassy site, but I'm still a little confused/perplexed:

Primarily, I just want to go there, holiday basically, but may want to take some language classes etc. - but I don't know and don't want to plan to much. I'm assuming 6 months - it might end up being more, it may end up being less, but 6 months is a good start.

Am I correct in assuming that I should apply for one of these (quoting from pinned visa post): 6 month validity, 2 to 4 entry tourist visa

- Presumably I can set the validity date upon application to be from the day I arrive?

- Will then have to apply for an extension after 60 days and then go on a "visa run" after this for another 60 days and then extend that?

And the cost would be the UK visa fee (free at the moment?) plus 2 x extensions ( 2x1900baht=3800baht). That's quite a bit of money to be allowed to stay 6 months! Only ever done one of these long-stays abroad in India, and that was just a few hours at the Indian High Consulate to get that sorted.

BTW, I'm taking a year out from studies and job to go abroad, so cannot provide proof of income etc. when I am there. I will only have whatever savings I have.

So am I right in what I put above or IS THERE A SIMPLER AND WISER OPTION...?

YES, thats the one to get . Best to get the 1 year Multiple Entry Non Imm "O" visa , then you can come and go as many times as you want in and out of the country . Then you are covered for upto 15 months inc if you add the additional 3 months you can get if you leave Thailand a day or so before the 12 month visa expires and return the same day back into Thailand. Then, when that additional 3 months has been used you can then get 4 x 15 day border runs .After that you must leave the country and get a single or double entry tourist visa, unless you qualify for an education visa etc etc etc .

There are several factors you might want to consider. Tourist visas are free for 60 day stays so if near Malaysia border would not cost much to use them for six months and trip might be a good cheap vacation with GF. If other borders you would have to factor in cost of visa to that country to obtain a new visa.

I'm in a similar position - I was planning to get 2 entry tourist visa and extend it out to max 180 days. But that's a pain.

Should I go for the 1 year Multiple Entry Non Imm "O" visa ? I don't really plan to do a lot of travelling outside of Thailand though.

Me neither, but maybe having the option would come in handy?

I need to look a bit more at the non-imm visa first though.

According to my research the non-imm O requires "supporting documentation" of a sponsor.

I will go with the tourist visa. Will pop to the embassy this week.

According to my research the non-imm O requires "supporting documentation" of a sponsor.

I will go with the tourist visa. Will pop to the embassy this week.

Do not haste your decision. A non-imm O multiple entry is a very convenient visa and gives you more options than the tourist visa.

1. You can stay up to 15 Months and only have to do border runs ever 3 months. No further action such as extension or whatsoever required.

With a tourist visa you have 9 months max, and you have to border-run every 2 months and extend then after 1 month at immigration (1900 Baht). And you are limited to do this three times (if you apply for a 3x entry, otherwise less.).

2. You are more flexible, since you have unlimited entries. You can travel to neighboring countries as many times as you want. With a tourist visa you will cancel your current period of 60 days (or 30 days extension) as soon as you leave, thus maybe shortening your maximum time allowed to stay. And/or you have to time your stay more carefully.

3. Costs might be nearly the same. Hull charges GBP 100 for Non-O multiple entry compared to 28x3=GBP 84 for a triple entry. Depending how long you stay you can add GBP 34 (1900 THB) for each 30 day extension. If you consider getting a double entry Tourist Visa to save costs you might regret later if you want to stay longer than 6 months.

You see I am quite a bit passionate about this. Well, I currently stay here on Tourist Visas because back then before I came to Thailand I didn't know about all this stuff and stupid me just applied for a single entry Tourist Visa. Dow! :)

Your options as soon as you are here in Thailand are limited. You will not get a Non-O multiple entry around here!

Check out this thread too.

welo