Class "o" Options

Hey Folks,

I'm married to a Thai lady and we have a son. My Non-immigrant "O" visa is due to expire near the end of August. I was wondering what would be the best course of action to take regarding an extension if I don't stay with my current employer. Thus far, I've considered two possible options:

1.) Have family transfer 400,000 Baht from abroad which I can show to the Immigration Dept, then transfer it back.

2.) Exit the country and come back on a Non-"O" with multiple entry (requiring me to then hop over to Cambodia every three months)

I've been in Thailand nearly seven years and have never had to leave the country. It was either the 400,000 Baht bank draft we showed each year (before we needed the money for our house) or having my employer take care of it.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The twelve months extension would be preferable. At least 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank for at least 2 months before application. As said it has to be your money in your bank.

Then there would be no need to leave the country. Just report to Immigration every 90 days.

Apply around 30 days before you current stay expires.

If you prefer you could use 40,000 Baht a month income instead.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I need to have the 400,000 Baht in my bank for two months before I apply? :) If that's the case, I may have to go for a Non-"O" multi entry at the consulate in Penang, Malaysia. My visa is up near the end of August and we're already into July.

For the income based one, I need to show at least 40,000 Baht/month...is this for the previous year? Trouble is, I don't think I make quite that much, as I'm a teacher and I heard that doesn't apply to people teaching (only other types of employment).

I have a British friend who is living with his Thai partner (they're not married) and he has the Non-"O" multi entry, but he gets an extra three months on the end before he has to leave and reapply for that visa. I know he's over 50, so he gets the retirement one, but I'd be looking at getting mine based on my marriage to my wife (we're both registered here and in my home country).

If the money is a problem you could change to a 'B' visa then get an extension based on you work permit, assuming that you plan to stay in the same job.

Ideally you want to stay on your 'O' but it's an option.

"...40,000 Baht/month..." "... as I'm a teacher and I heard that doesn't apply to people teaching (only other types of employment)."

You're thinking of a B visa. That's not the same as getting a visa/extension to stay with your spouse.

You can apply for a 60 day extension to visit your Wife. This would then give you a bit more time to season the money.

From the Police Order,

2.24 In the case of an alien

visiting a Thai spouse or child:

Permission

will be granted for a period of not more than 60 days at a time

(1) Proof of relationship.

(2) In the case of a spouse, their marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto.