Possible Chinese Origin Of เชียง And เวียง?

montrii

A friend sent me this question, which I was unable to answer.

>>Language question---easy, I think: "Chiang" (Thai) and "Wieng" (Lao)---are these both derived from a Chinese word for town or city which is similarly transliterated as "Chiang" or "Chieng"?<<

I'm not sure about the origins of these words. "เวียง" is a Thai/Lao word for "walled city," as in "เวียงจันทน์," but I don't know its origin. The เชียง in Chiengmai and Chiengrai, I really don't know!

Can anyone shed light on this?

A friend sent me this question, which I was unable to answer.

>>Language question---easy, I think: "Chiang" (Thai) and "Wieng" (Lao)---are these both derived from a Chinese word for town or city which is similarly transliterated as "Chiang" or "Chieng"?<<

I'm not sure about the origins of these words. "เวียง" is a Thai/Lao word for "walled city," as in "เวียงจันทน์," but I don't know its origin. The เชียง in Chiengmai and Chiengrai, I really don't know!

Can anyone shed light on this?

ช่วยดูที่หนังสือเล็ม "ภาษาไทย ๕ นาที ชุดที่ ๕" หน้า ๒๗๒ เมื่อมีเวลาผมจะจดข้อความให้ด้วย

Edited by DavidHouston

I heard a presentation that touched on this at a conference in 2006 (here), but I believe it was a last minute substitute for someone who couldn't be there, and I can't seem to find the details of who actually gave it now, nor can I remember the specific conclusions. Darn.

จาก "ภาษาไทย ๕ นาที ชุดที่ ๕" หน้า ๒๗๒

'คำว่า "เชียง" พจนานุกรมล้านนา-ไทย ฉบับแม่ฟ้าหลวง ได้ให้ความหมายไว้ว่า "น. นักบวช, ภิกษุ, ทิด; ที่อยู่อาศัย, เมือง (ถ้าเวียง มักจะหมายถึง เมืองขนาดเล็ก, เมืองชั่วคราวหรือที่มั่นทางทหาร) ว. อย่างดี, พิเศษ"'

จาก "ภาษาไทย ๕ นาที ชุดที่ ๕" หน้า ๒๗๒

'คำ ว่า "เชียง" พจนานุกรมล้านนา-ไทย ฉบับแม่ฟ้าหลวง ได้ให้ความหมายไว้ว่า "น. นักบวช, ภิกษุ, ทิด; ที่อยู่อาศัย, เมือง (ถ้าเวียง มักจะหมายถึง เมืองขนาดเล็ก, เมืองชั่วคราวหรือที่มั่นทางทหาร) ว. อย่างดี, พิเศษ"'

๕ นาทีหรือ ไม่เร็วไปหรือ?? 5555 That's better than Europe on 5$ a day. Anyhow this tells us that เชียง is a holy man of one sort or another, a place to live, a city (if it's เวียง then it's probably either a little town or a town guarded by soldiers), or it means "special," or good.

So at least one of the meanings is of a town. Thanks, David.

But this still doesn't answer about a Chinese origin. Is our worthy Richard able to help with this?

All that quote does is repeat a dictionary entry. It would be a mistake to assume that multiple meanings are etymologically connected, without evidence that such is the case. I'll look around and see if I can find anywhere else that discusses it.

All that quote does is repeat a dictionary entry. It would be a mistake to assume that multiple meanings are etymologically connected, without evidence that such is the case. I'll look around and see if I can find anywhere else that discusses it.

Khun Rikker,

In etymological research of tonal languages like Thai, are tones traditionally taken into account in determining word origins?

Thanks.

It would be a mistake to assume that multiple meanings are etymologically connected, without evidence that such is the case. I'll look around and see if I can find anywhere else that discusses it.

I certainly have made no such assumption! Most of the meanings David found were complete surprises, in any case. It would be great if you do find anything regarding a เชียง and a เวียง with meanings like "city" that connects them to each other and/or to a Chinese antecedent--that's all I'm looking for. You probably would know where to look for such things much better than most of us, so I'm glad you're involved, thanks.

Here is another opinion from

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Opry/3009/history/019.htm :

ลาวเฉียง

ปัจจุบันไม่ปรากฎว่ามีการใช้คำ ลาวเฉียง หลงเหลืออยู่ในภาษาไทยแต่อย่างใด แต่ในสมัยโบราณ คำนี้ได้ใช้เรียกคนไทอยู่ จนถึงสมัยรัชกาลที่ 5 หมายถึงคนไทที่อยู่ทางตอน เหนือขึ้นไปในเขตพายัพ ซึ่งคนไทยทางใต้เรียกพวกนี้ว่า ลาวเฉียง หมายรวมถึงคนไทยในภาคพายัพคือล้านนาทั้งหมด รวมถึงทางตะวันออกของพายัพคือบริเวณแพร่และน่านดวย มีชื่อเรียกเป็นทางการว่า มณฑลลาวเฉียง ภายหลังจึงเปลี่ยนชื่อเป็นมณฑลพายัพ ส่วนลาวที่อยู่ทางตะวันออกไกลออกไป เรียกว่า ลาวกาว ลาวเฉียงยังแบ่งออกเป็นลาวโยนอีก หมายถึงภาคตะวันตกของพายัพ ประกอบด้วยเชียง ใหม่ ลำพูน ลำปาง แต่คำ ลาวเฉียง ก็ยังคงหมายถึงล้านนาโดยรวมอยู่นั่นเอง และ คำ เฉียง หมายถึงภาษาล้านนา ส่วนคำ ลาวโยน ซึ่งบางครั้ง เรียก ยวน หมายถึงโยนก คือ ล้านนาในปัจจุบัน ลิลิตยวนพ่ายที่แต่งในสมัยอยุธยาก็หมายถึงล้านนาพ่าย ไม่ใช่ญวนพ่าย ต่อมาเมื่อเกิดความสับสนระหว่างยวนและญวน จึงไม่ใช้ยวนเพื่อเรียกแทนคนไทล้านนาอีก แต่คนทางใต้ก็มักจะเรียกคน ทางล้านนาว่า ลาวล้านนา ซึ่งชาวล้านนาก็ไม่ชอบให้ใครเรียกเช่นนั้น เพราะถือว่าเป็นการดูถูกเหยียบย่ำกันทางเชื้อชาติ และยังถือว่าตัวเองเป็นคนไทพวกหนึ่ง ไม่ใช่ลาว แม้แต่คนลาวเองก็ไม่นับเอาเป็นพวกเพราะถือว่าพวกนี้ ไม่ใช่ลาว คนไท ล้านนาจึงเรียกตัวเองว่า คนเมือง ซึ่งหมายถึงคนที่อยู่ในเมือง คำว่าเฉียง นี้ คนเมืองรับเอามาจากอิทธิพลพม่า สมัยที่ยังอยู่ในปกครองของพม่า โดยรับเอา คำว่า ชาน ของพม่ามา แต่ เขียนด้วยวิธีพม่าคือ สยำ แต่ใช้วิธีออกเสียงของชาวล้านนาสยำออกเสียงว่า เสง หรือเสียง คำสะกดจึงเป็นแม่กง ไม่ใช่แม่ กมหรือแม่กนเหมือน อย่างชาวบ้านเขา อักษร สย ก็ออกเสียงเหมือนพม่าคือเป็นเสียง ช, สยำ ในภาษาล้านนาจึงกลายเป็น เชียง เมื่อออกเสียงสูงตามสำเนียงล้านนาจึงกลายเป็น เฉียง

Read the above to the end before dismissing the concept. Here the notion is that เชียง is a derivative of a Burmese pronunciation. What do you think?

Edited by DavidHouston

Here is another opinion from

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/Opry/3009/history/019.htm: Here the notion is that เชียง is a derivative of a Burmese pronunciation. What do you think?

Wow, how did you ever know where to go to dig that up? A whole different take. I wonder about it, though, I bet Richard or Rikker would have something to say about changing a ฉ to a ช, or vice versa, just to reflect the local pronunciation . . .

Anyhow I think enough is enough, see my comments after Nan's very helpful post at http://www.thai-language.com/ubb_cgi/ultim...t=000060#000010. unless someone has some really promising leads here, I think we're as close as we're gonna get. Nan's material is worth looking at. Thanks one and all.