Custom Belief

powerpuffy

Hi guys,

Do you have any question about Thai belief? For example, have you ever wondered why Thai said that 'do not cut the nails at night', or 'do not have your hair cut on Wednesday'? Let me know if you have any question like these so I will try to find the answer and put them on my report... and if I get a correct information, I'll post to you guys here.

Regards,

PP.

Hi guys,

Do you have any question about Thai belief? For example, have you ever wondered why Thai said that 'do not cut the nails at night', or 'do not have your hair cut on Wednesday'? Let me know if you have any question like these so I will try to find the answer and put them on my report... and if I get a correct information, I'll post to you guys here.

Regards,

PP.

Hi powerpuffy,welcome to Thaivisa(i'm nearly a newbie too btw).I have a question for you which may be interesting for other forumers too.There was an article few months ago on one of the two English Newspapers,which i was too lazy to save,about the different colours of clothes to wear during the week.I.e. yellow on Monday etc.

Regards

Hi,

I think the reason that thai wear different colors of cloth (ie, yellow for monday, blue for friday) was started when it was 60 years anniversary of H.M the king to ascend to the throne few years ago, and everyone wore yellow to represent the unique of nation. (H.M the king was born on Monday, so people use yellow)

Later, the PAD used the yellow to represent their group, while the PPP, the opposite side, use the red for them.

I am not sure about the year, but it was when the king had admitted the hospital, and he wore pink suit the day he left the hospital....so, people wore pink instead of yellow, to avoid conflict and misunderstood that they were one of those two parties (PAD & PPP)

Also, some people wear blue on Friday to show their love to H.M the queen too.

Hi guys,

Regards,

PP.

Hi powerpuffy,welcome to Thaivisa(i'm nearly a newbie too btw).I have a question for you which may be interesting for other forumers too.There was an article few months ago on one of the two English Newspapers,which i was too lazy to save,about the different colours of clothes to wear during the week.I.e. yellow on Monday etc.

Regards

Thanks for reply,but i was asking about a very old tradition,not a recent one.There must be a particular colour corresponding to each day,like there is a planet for each day,or a colour for each chakra :)

I don't know how far back the tradition goes, but yellow for Monday, etc, existed well before the current royal family was born.

OP: These customs generally have nothing to do with Buddhism, so I would encourage you to re-post your intention under General Topics.

Thanks again powerpuffy for taking the time to answer my question.As Sabaijai said,maybe this thread is not in the right section of the Forum,so i'll abstain to ask you a further question.Keep on the good job :)

Anything associated with time, days, months and years usually have something to do with astrology. And who knows how long it has been around.

I understand that a lot of people are scepticle when it comes to astrology. but I had asked to my university lecturer about it (btw, he is an engineering lecturer). And his answer was very interesting. He said that most of our body content is liquid. And we all know how the moon affects water. That made a lot of sense, because our chemistry would be affected by the universe. It explains how your location on Earth and the positions of the stars and planets in some particular time have something to do with the readings.

Anyway based on this page, http://www.horasadthai.com/index.php?lay=s...e&Id=362902

วันอาทิตย์ สีแดงสด สีเขียว อัญมณีทับทิม มรกต ธาตุทองคำ ปรอท ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีฟ้า อัญมณีเพ็ชร ธาตุทองแดง

Sunday - Red or Green - no sky blue (cyan)

วันจันทร์ สีขาวนวล สีเหลืองอ่อน สีดำ อัญมณีไข่มุกข์ นิล ธาตุเงิน ตะกั่ว ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีแดงสด อัญมณีทับทิม ธาตุทองคำ

Monday - creamy white, light yellow or black - no red

วันอังคาร สีแดงแก่ (แดงเลือดนก) สีชมพู สีเหลืองแก่ สีส้ม อัญมณีโกเมนทร์ บุษราคัม ธาตุเหล็ก สังกะสี ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีขาวนวล สีเหลืองอ่อน อัญมณีไข่มุกข์ ธาตุเงิน

Tuesday - dark red (burgundy??), pink, dark yellow or orange - no creamy white or light yellow

วันพุธกลางวัน สีเขียวใบไม้ สีทองสัมฤทธิ์ สีม่วงเม็ดมะปรางค์ อัญมณีมรกต โมรา ทับทิมกินบ่อเสี้ยง ธาตุปรอท ดินและหิน ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีแดงแก่ (แดงเลือดนก) สีชมพู อัญมณีโกเมนทร์ ธาตุเหล็ก

Wednesday (day) - green - no dark red (burgundy)

วันพุธกลางคืน สีทองสัมฤทธิ์ สีม่วงเม็ดมะปรางค์ สีขาวนวล สีเหลืองอ่อน อัญมณีโมรา ทับทิมกินบ่อเสี้ยง ไข่มุกข์ ธาตุเงิน ดินและหิน ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีเหลืองแก่ สีส้ม อัญมณีบุษราคัม ธาตุสังกะสี

Wednesday (night) - bronze, purple, creamy white or light yellow - no dark yellow or orange

วันพฤหัส สีเหลืองแก่ สีส้ม สีแดงสด อัญมณี บุษราคัม ทับทิม ธาตุสังกะสี ทองคำ ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีดำ อัญมณีนิล ธาตุตะกั่ว

Thursday - dark yellow, orange, red - no black

วันศุกร์ สีฟ้า สีแดงแก่ (แดงเลือดนก) สีชมพู อัญมณีเพ็ชร โกเมนทร์ ธาตุทองแดง เหล็ก ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีทองสัมฤทธิ์ สีม่วงเม็ดมะปรางค์ อัญมณีโมรา ทับทิมกินบ่อเสี้ยง ธาตุดินและหิน

Friday - sky blue (cyan), dark red(burgundy) or pink - no bronze or purple

วันเสาร์ สีดำ สีฟ้า อัญมณีนิล เพ็ชร ธาตุตะกั่ว ทองแดง ส่วนที่ต้องห้ามเด็ดขาดประจำวันนี้คือ สีเขียวใบไม้ อัญมณีมรกต ธาตุปรอท

Saturday - black, sky blue (cyan) - no green

Thanks agent 69,that's what i was looking for!BTW,in my opinion,"custom beliefs" thread can well stay in the"Buddhism" subforum..

Another question which i like to ask to the kind forumers;Why many Thai folks believe that it's unconvenient whistling at night?I enjoy whistling my favourite melodies all the time,but few people told me not to do it at night,otherwise ghosts will come..I'm not afraid of them so far,but that's it. :)

These belief was used in the royal family, or elite only.

When I lived in Chainat in the late 70s, many townspeople, including my fellow teachers there, followed the colour code to a 'T,' and I was encourgage to as well.

Thanks agent 69,that's what i was looking for!BTW,in my opinion,"custom beliefs" thread can well stay in the"Buddhism" subforum..

Another question which i like to ask to the kind forumers;Why many Thai folks believe that it's unconvenient whistling at night?I enjoy whistling my favourite melodies all the time,but few people told me not to do it at night,otherwise ghosts will come..I'm not afraid of them so far,but that's it. :)

That's fascinating....I grew up in Fiji and they have the same taboo, for the same reason.

My question is.... I bought a knife for a one-off job, and then didn't need it anymore. I gave it to my gf's mother. She insisted she pay me a token number of baht. Apparently, sharp things can't be given as gifts but must be paid for.

Is this widespread and is there a reason?

[quote name='Harcourt' date='2009-07-08 19:06:06' post='2857987

My question is.... I bought a knife for a one-off job, and then didn't need it anymore. I gave it to my gf's mother. She insisted she pay me a token number of baht. Apparently, sharp things can't be given as gifts but must be paid for.

The world is small,in the south of Italy,they have the same habit when they give a knife as a present..Just one cent will do,but some money have to be paid.Another habit/superstition they have here in Thailand,never sweep the floor at night,easy for me to adjust to,i don't like to do it even during the day.It seems nonetheless,that people who live in the cities are less superstitious than the country folks.

Hi guys,

Regards,

PP.

That's so great - thank you Powerpuffy!

Why do Thais think 'meritmaking' absolves any horrendous action on their part? Its certainly not part of Buddhist belief!

Whistling attracts ghosts? I've never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. It IS true however that one can whistle up a storm and one should avoid whistlers at all costs, especially when venturing to sea.

Whistling attracts ghosts? I've never heard anything so ridiculous in all my life. It IS true however that one can whistle up a storm and one should avoid whistlers at all costs, especially when venturing to sea.

It's an old Thai folklore that whistling at night attract ghost & goblins :D

Thanks for reply,but i was asking about a very old tradition,not a recent one.There must be a particular colour corresponding to each day,like there is a planet for each day,or a colour for each chakra :)

There are 4 color categories for each day; Power, Success/Wearlth, Supporter, Unlucky. For each day of the week there is a color, and sometimes 2 for each category.

One day we were having a company meeting I was leading for about 40 people. My team informed me that I was wearing an unlucky color for that day and they wanted me to put on a coat of a different color. Now on one level they laugh at this; this is a multi-national and most have their MBAs and have traveled, studied and lived outside of Thailand. But still it made them uncomfortable to have me wear the wrong color. And if you think about it for equally subjective reasons we might see someone in a color of dress, in a situation and think "that's not appropriate" and it would shape our opinion of that person.

Anyway I have the chart in my closet and never wear unlucky colors. When you have the chart and look around, say on the morning news show, you see how it is followed.

That's fascinating....I grew up in Fiji and they have the same taboo, for the same reason.

I was told, if you give a knife, the recipient "will stab you in the back" figuratively speaking, and if you give shoes, "they will walk all over you".

Why do Thais think 'meritmaking' absolves any horrendous action on their part? Its certainly not part of Buddhist belief!

Welcome to the wonderful amalgamation that is Thai Buddhism! A nice mixture of animism, ancestor worship, Hindu, Brahman, and Buddhist beliefs. The Thai method of occasional merit making may not be subscribed in Classical Buddhism (along with the connections to amulets and sacred string for blessings), but it allows for a component of reassurance of luck and forgiveness into the belief system for the more superstitious Thais.

I think the Thais prefer to cover all bases, especially with their amulets!

amulets.jpg

Superstition tends to dominate any rural culture, Thailand is no different. Some believe that the superstitious practices in Thailand detract from their Buddhism, but I feel that they are expressing their belief in their own personal ways. Judging other's interpretations of their beliefs does nothing for our own.

I don't venerate any of my amulets as mystical items or objects of worship, Classical Buddhist principle finds that extraneous, but I do like to collect them! I look upon them as a reminder of Buddhist principles, just as Christians wear a cross to remind them of Christian principles. (Although, possession is attachment, so I obviously still have a long way to go in my studies!)

I also look upon the Thai-style merit making as a reminder, so I don't go when I feel I need to make extra luck for myself, or to atone for some sin. I go for the focus it gives me, especially in my meditation, and a kind of renewal of my beliefs.

Then there is the connection to respect, both of elders and of ancestors that relates to this as well... :D:):D

most of the old sayings in Thailand were there for teaching kids manners and health safety.

what's the best way of teaching kids not to do something? ... scare them. :D

In this case, don't whistle at night while people are sleeping, I guess. been told generations after generations till it became a myth.