Exclusive Interview With Chalerm

webfact

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

"Pheu Thai does not need a new leader because Thaksin is already the real leader": Chalerm

By Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

Published on July 6, 2009

Chalerm Yoobamrung, chairman of MPs under the Pheu Thai Party, says there's no need to find a new party leader because everyone already believes that the real head honcho is former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Thaksin fever is very strong. So, we should let Yongyuth [Wichaidit] remain in the party leader's position. We don't need to find his replacement because Thaksin's red-hot popularity will overshadow everybody," Chalerm said.

Other leading party members are reportedly searching for a new figure to lead the party for the next election.

However, Chalerm told The Nation in an interview that no one could erase the public perception that Thaksin is the de facto decision-maker.

"No matter who will rise up to the party's helm, the people know that he or she is not the real leader. The new leader may be the legal leader but he or she will not be the real one."

The key factor helping Pheu Thai to sweep the recent by-elections in Sakon Nakhon and Si Sa Ket was the party's offering of Thaksin in its direct-sales campaigns, he said.

"We have a good product so we should sell it openly. Why should we be shy about the product? In marketing terms, we could make a profit from this product so why not?

"I don't see any disadvantage in offering Thaksin as our selling point. We should regard this as us selecting the right product. Other products would not be worth the investment," Chalerm said.

During last-stretch campaigning in Sakon Nakhon, Chalerm declared on stage that Thaksin is the real leader of Pheu Thai. He told voters to elect the Pheu Thai candidate if they wanted to help Thaksin return home.

If the party assigned him to lead campaigns for the next election, he had a clear message ready.

"If voters elect Pheu Thai candidates to more than half of the House's seats, we will form a one-party government. If I become the prime minister, I'll take six months to issue laws and executive decrees to pardon all those that were affected by the September 19, 2006 coup so that everything can be started anew."

Pheu Thai would propose Thaksin as its economic team leader to compete against the Democrat's team, seeking to become the next government to tackle the economic crisis, he said.

The Thaksin economic team would comprise Olarn Chaipravat, a former deputy prime minister, deputy Pheu Thai leader Parnpree Phahitthanukorn, who is in charge of economic affairs for the party, former finance minister Suchart Thamrongnawasawat, Surapong Towichakchaikul, an economic expert of the party, and former commerce minister Mingkwan Sangsuwan.

"Now, political parties are fighting over economic issues. For the economic issues, if we don't offer Thaksin as the selling point, whom should we?" Chalerm said.

But if Pheu Thai really wants to elect a new leader, Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's sister, is the most suitable person because of three reasons, he said.

She is young, she is good at business because she has run over Bt100 billion worth of businesses, and Thaksin's charisma would rub off on her leadership.

While Yingluck was considered as fitting for the top party post, Chalerm was not reticent about saying he should be the next prime minister if Thaksin's supporters wanted to help the former premier come back home.

"The prime minister does not need to be the party leader. It will be fine if the party can find another prime minister's choice but if the party gives the post to me, I'll need only six months to issue new laws to grant amnesty to all sides. There are several capable persons in Thailand, but very few of them are brave enough [to take on the challenge as PM]."

Personal reasons prevented him from being ready to hold the party's reins but he could not elaborate. He said that would not inhibit his ability to work for the party.

He said he will leave politics at age 65 and he is now 63. He would not defect from Pheu Thai before his retirement.

Earlier, it was reported that former Senate speaker Manoonkrit Rupakhachorn, former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh or Pracharaj Party leader Snoh Thienthong would be made the next Pheu Thai leader.

Chalerm said the Democrat-led government had lacked tangible achievements to show for its half year in power.

"Abhisit is good only at studying but he does not know how to work. Some said Abhisit should be allowed to remain in office so that his performance could be compared to that of Thaksin. But I'll say the longer he stays in office, the more dead meat he will become. By now, he is 90 per cent dead," Chalerm said.

In the past people were not sure whether Abhisit was good at working, but the public lost hope in him after he became the prime minister, Chalerm said.

Not only would northeastern people have no faith in Abhisit but also all people nationwide, especially businessmen, he said.

"I can tell that Thaksin became more outstanding when Abhisit became the prime minister. Thaksin was less outstanding when Samak [sundaravej] and Somchai [Wongsawat] were the prime ministers.

"Six months after taking office, Abhisit has failed to solve problems so it's a good time for the people to miss Thaksin, so I decided to offer Thaksin as Pheu Thai's selling point," Chalerm said.

If the next election was held within a year, Pheu Thai could capture House seats in all northeastern provinces except Buri Ram and Nakhon Ratchasima, he said.

Buri Ram is the stronghold of Newin Chidchob, the de facto leader of the Bhum Jai Thai Party, while Nakhon Ratchasima is the dominion of Suwat Liptapanlop, a key leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Party.

While Newin's Bhum Jai Thai cannot compete against the Pheu Thai for House seats in the Northeast, Pheu Thai will not underestimate the Bhum Jai Thai, Chalerm said.

"Someone has grown in his political career because of Thaksin's charisma, not because of his own charisma, but he got the illusion that he grew up because of himself. His illusion has been proved wrong," Chalerm said, referring to Newin.

The Democrats and Bhum Jai Thai would not be able to join forces to wipe out Thaksin's influence in the Northeast, he said.

"They can try but they won't be successful because the sky is closed for the Democrats in the Northeast. They can borrow Newin's hand but he has no hands left after he lost two by-elections," Chalerm said.

"It will bode well for us if Bhum Jai Thai joins hands with the Democrats to try to make inroads into the Northeast. In that case, I'll tell voters that Bhum Jai Thai is a part of the Democrats. If they do that, all of them will be dead politically," he said.

The government may last until year-end but it would dig a deeper hole for itself the longer it stays in office, he said.

"No government can survive if the people are in hardship. And the government has failed to come up with new ideas to tackle the problems during the past six months. It copied the populist schemes of Thaksin. The situation has changed but the government still uses the same old obsolete measures to deal with the problems."

Pheu Thai could snatch half of Bangkok's House seats in the next election, leaving the rest for the Democrats, as Pheu Thai's stability has been bolstered by the two by-election victories, he said.

"Earlier, some party members hesitated and pondered hard about leaving but now everyone wants to join Pheu Thai," Chalerm said.

There was nothing to be afraid about offering Thaksin as the party's selling point because it is not illegal to do so, he said.

"In the past, we changed our name from Thai Rak Thai to People Power and then to Pheu Thai. If our party is dissolved again, we'll change the name to the Thaksin Party.

"We have to make it clear instead of being shy. We have a good product so we have to sell it," Chalerm said, laughing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/07

Chalerm said the Democrat-led government had lacked tangible achievements to show for its half year in power.

"Abhisit is good only at studying but he does not know how to work. Some said Abhisit should be allowed to remain in office so that his performance could be compared to that of Thaksin. But I'll say the longer he stays in office, the more dead meat he will become. By now, he is 90 per cent dead," Chalerm said.

In the past people were not sure whether Abhisit was good at working, but the public lost hope in him after he became the prime minister, Chalerm said.

one of the most disturbing statement I ever read from Mr. Chalerm... :)

something is in the pipeline... watch out!

Like what? Circling his private jet above Swampy?

"If voters elect Pheu Thai candidates to more than half of the House's seats, we will form a one-party government. If I become the prime minister, I'll take six months to issue laws and executive decrees to pardon all those that were affected by the September 19, 2006 coup so that everything can be started anew."

he has a dream and sometimes dreams come true. My blood runs cold about his dream.

Edited by webfact

Yes, like sons, like father, like boss, like party (and throw Newin's hissing cats in for equal measure as well, all birds of a feather).

Coming soon? Groundhog Day/Thaksin 2 - best supporting actor, Police Captain Chalerm (parental discretion strongly advised)

Still, this seems to be the groundhog day a vocal majority of Expats on this forum wish & crave to see for Thailand.

Final note: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3572395.stm

"We have to make it clear instead of being shy. We have a good product so we have to sell it," Chalerm said, laughing.

Goes to the heart of BANNED FROM POLITICS.

Any politician accepting Thaksin's help is abrogating that legal decision,

and the Election Commission should annul their election.

Very notably Chalerm is saying this not, the bow-tied head of party,

this guy will remain speechless as long as possible.

But if Chalerm is acting as spokesman for the Phuea Thai party,

then they are saying their head of party is a banned politician

and wanted criminal on the run. The product they are selling?

What should the response form the Election commission be?

Regardless of popularity, this is heaping insult on injury for the country.

Seems Kuhn Thaksin only cares for rule of law on laws that favor him.

otherwise he seems perfectly prepared to ignore them all and call them political.

And HIS side whines about double standards... HA!

Edited by animatic

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

"Pheu Thai does not need a new leader because Thaksin is already the real leader": Chalerm

By Somroutai Sapsomboon

The Nation

Published on July 6, 2009

Chalerm Yoobamrung, chairman of MPs under the Pheu Thai Party, says there's no need to find a new party leader because everyone already believes that the real head honcho is former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

"Thaksin fever is very strong. So, we should let Yongyuth [Wichaidit] remain in the party leader's position. We don't need to find his replacement because Thaksin's red-hot popularity will overshadow everybody," Chalerm said.

Other leading party members are reportedly searching for a new figure to lead the party for the next election.

However, Chalerm told The Nation in an interview that no one could erase the public perception that Thaksin is the de facto decision-maker.

"No matter who will rise up to the party's helm, the people know that he or she is not the real leader. The new leader may be the legal leader but he or she will not be the real one."

The key factor helping Pheu Thai to sweep the recent by-elections in Sakon Nakhon and Si Sa Ket was the party's offering of Thaksin in its direct-sales campaigns, he said.

"We have a good product so we should sell it openly. Why should we be shy about the product? In marketing terms, we could make a profit from this product so why not?

"I don't see any disadvantage in offering Thaksin as our selling point. We should regard this as us selecting the right product. Other products would not be worth the investment," Chalerm said.

During last-stretch campaigning in Sakon Nakhon, Chalerm declared on stage that Thaksin is the real leader of Pheu Thai. He told voters to elect the Pheu Thai candidate if they wanted to help Thaksin return home.

If the party assigned him to lead campaigns for the next election, he had a clear message ready.

Pheu Thai would propose Thaksin as its economic team leader to compete against the Democrat's team, seeking to become the next government to tackle the economic crisis, he said.

The Thaksin economic team would comprise Olarn Chaipravat, a former deputy prime minister, deputy Pheu Thai leader Parnpree Phahitthanukorn, who is in charge of economic affairs for the party, former finance minister Suchart Thamrongnawasawat, Surapong Towichakchaikul, an economic expert of the party, and former commerce minister Mingkwan Sangsuwan.

"Now, political parties are fighting over economic issues. For the economic issues, if we don't offer Thaksin as the selling point, whom should we?" Chalerm said.

But if Pheu Thai really wants to elect a new leader, Yingluck Shinawatra, Thaksin's sister, is the most suitable person because of three reasons, he said.

She is young, she is good at business because she has run over Bt100 billion worth of businesses, and Thaksin's charisma would rub off on her leadership.

While Yingluck was considered as fitting for the top party post, Chalerm was not reticent about saying he should be the next prime minister if Thaksin's supporters wanted to help the former premier come back home.

"The prime minister does not need to be the party leader. It will be fine if the party can find another prime minister's choice but if the party gives the post to me, I'll need only six months to issue new laws to grant amnesty to all sides. There are several capable persons in Thailand, but very few of them are brave enough [to take on the challenge as PM]."

Personal reasons prevented him from being ready to hold the party's reins but he could not elaborate. He said that would not inhibit his ability to work for the party.

He said he will leave politics at age 65 and he is now 63. He would not defect from Pheu Thai before his retirement.

Earlier, it was reported that former Senate speaker Manoonkrit Rupakhachorn, former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh or Pracharaj Party leader Snoh Thienthong would be made the next Pheu Thai leader.

Not only would northeastern people have no faith in Abhisit but also all people nationwide, especially businessmen, he said.

"I can tell that Thaksin became more outstanding when Abhisit became the prime minister. Thaksin was less outstanding when Samak [sundaravej] and Somchai [Wongsawat] were the prime ministers.

"Six months after taking office, Abhisit has failed to solve problems so it's a good time for the people to miss Thaksin, so I decided to offer Thaksin as Pheu Thai's selling point," Chalerm said.

If the next election was held within a year, Pheu Thai could capture House seats in all northeastern provinces except Buri Ram and Nakhon Ratchasima, he said.

Buri Ram is the stronghold of Newin Chidchob, the de facto leader of the Bhum Jai Thai Party, while Nakhon Ratchasima is the dominion of Suwat Liptapanlop, a key leader of the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Party.

While Newin's Bhum Jai Thai cannot compete against the Pheu Thai for House seats in the Northeast, Pheu Thai will not underestimate the Bhum Jai Thai, Chalerm said.

"Someone has grown in his political career because of Thaksin's charisma, not because of his own charisma, but he got the illusion that he grew up because of himself. His illusion has been proved wrong," Chalerm said, referring to Newin.

The Democrats and Bhum Jai Thai would not be able to join forces to wipe out Thaksin's influence in the Northeast, he said.

"They can try but they won't be successful because the sky is closed for the Democrats in the Northeast. They can borrow Newin's hand but he has no hands left after he lost two by-elections," Chalerm said.

"It will bode well for us if Bhum Jai Thai joins hands with the Democrats to try to make inroads into the Northeast. In that case, I'll tell voters that Bhum Jai Thai is a part of the Democrats. If they do that, all of them will be dead politically," he said.

The government may last until year-end but it would dig a deeper hole for itself the longer it stays in office, he said.

"No government can survive if the people are in hardship. And the government has failed to come up with new ideas to tackle the problems during the past six months. It copied the populist schemes of Thaksin. The situation has changed but the government still uses the same old obsolete measures to deal with the problems."

Pheu Thai could snatch half of Bangkok's House seats in the next election, leaving the rest for the Democrats, as Pheu Thai's stability has been bolstered by the two by-election victories, he said.

"Earlier, some party members hesitated and pondered hard about leaving but now everyone wants to join Pheu Thai," Chalerm said.

There was nothing to be afraid about offering Thaksin as the party's selling point because it is not illegal to do so, he said.

"In the past, we changed our name from Thai Rak Thai to People Power and then to Pheu Thai. If our party is dissolved again, we'll change the name to the Thaksin Party.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/06/07

Chilling! The lunatics in charge of "Bedlam" (Where is "geriactkid"??)

The people are in hardship, and increased hardship from PTP's street arm's tactics,

and yet they want to fix the economy with a Economics Team Leader who

dare not enter the country???

They openly say they will give amnesty to "all sides":

Read that as TRT, PPP and their broken up lacky parties, and no one else.

Can you see PTP and Chalerm giving amnesty to PAD leaders when in power?

We all know that Chalerm is an proven idiot, so should not pay too much attention on what he said.

Actually, I would like the courts to pay a whole lot of attention to what he said. Thaksin is still banned from politics, but the current Chairmen of the main opposition party (PTP) has openly admitted that Thaksin is the real head of the PTP. If we say this on TV it is nothing, but the Chairmen of the PTP openly admitting it is different. I would think that Thaksin would be very unhappy with these comments as it could be used against him in court.