Live Rugby League

Sunday - 10.15 Warrington v Huddersfield I'll try to catch up with Allan Rooney and Ray French in the Lord Rodney on the way to the ground

SC

Welcome SC ... I hope you enjoyed your Holiday ... rolleyes.gif

Bring on Sunday I say!

OH ... did Wakefield finish up with any distinction on the league ladder ... or a decent scalp on the way?

Sunday - 10.15 Warrington v Huddersfield I'll try to catch up with Allan Rooney and Ray French in the Lord Rodney on the way to the ground

SC

Welcome SC ... I hope you enjoyed your Holiday ... rolleyes.gif

Bring on Sunday I say!

OH ... did Wakefield finish up with any distinction on the league ladder ... or a decent scalp on the way?

Wakefield battling for a place int he play-offs, currently ninth, a point behind Hull FC with a game in hand. Wakefield enjoy a rest this weekend while Hull travel to Perpignan in the Cup to play Catalan Dragons.

SC

• Like 1

Hull's cup winning side of 2013 have beaten Catalans today of course....in style with a late try....24-13. biggrin.png

Well, having killed the suspense, I might not bother going home to watch the delyed telecast, and take a taxi into town for a skinful, like Captain Oates - "I'm away for a bevvy; I may be some time..."

Hull's cup winning side of 2013 have beaten Catalans today of course....in style with a late try....24-13. biggrin.png

Joking aside, that's a pretty impressive result in Perpignan

Took our chances and soaked up the pressure.....apologies for a lack of commentary due to my following the cricket simultaneously....

Warrington v Huddersfield later on this evening. I was imagining myself in the Lord Rodney earlier this evening, warming up with Ray and Allan

"shoosh, Cowboy, weu're listeninG to the cricket from NottinGham"

Great game, by the way;let's hope this afternoon's game at the Halliwell Jones is as exciting.

Already, London and Hull are through to the Semi-Finals; and the final contestant will be decided between Widnes and Wigan tomorrow at the SW Stadium.

"HaaawaaygaunyerselstheWIiire" - the Imam's getting into it as well, apparently

SC

And welcome to a sunkissed Halliwell Jones, as we literally warm up for the third Quarter-Final of the 2013 Challenge Cup. Warrington have won 19 out of their last 20 cup ties, while Huddersfield sit a point above them in third place in the Superleague.

And the teams are coming on to the pitch. Ian Chisnell is in the commentary box as well - I'm not sure about Ray French, though

They've kicked off, and Warrington are attacking, in the middle of the Huddersfield half, but it ends with a scrum to Huddersfield

I can scarcely here Ian Chisnell over the noise of the crowd.

Six and a half minutes, and no score. Brett Hodgson fields the kick out, and Warrington cross over the half way line.

Big hit on Trent Waterhouse by the Giants Prop.

Brett Hodgson pulled down five metres out... eight minutes...

A knock-on sees Warrington get another attacking chance. Eighteen metres out central on the park.

And great interplay sees Paul "hitler" Wood go over for the first score to Warrington - "Very much so, Ian... Normally you would expect the ball to go out to the touch lines, but this time it was the short, sharp stuff right under the posts"

Edited by StreetCowboy

Huddersfield attacking now, but Warrington have forced the error and a turn-over. Joel Monaghan almost breaks, Warrington attack, tackled ten fromn the Huddersfield try line.

Warrington score again, but miss the conversion, and Phil Bentham gives a penalty for a trip... sustained pressure sees Phil Bentham going back to the video referee to check Micky Higham's grounding, he had only one thing on his mind - the try line, and four more points for Warrington and an easy Brett Hodgson kick sees Warrington stretch out to 16 - 0. Remember last time that these two teams met, in May at the John Smith's Stadium, the visitors came away 12-34 winners.

And at last Huddersfield win a scrum in a good attacking position,. Warrington change their front row, the ball comes out and Huddersfield are chased into a knock-on

The crowd are on their feet, Chris Reilly darts over in the corner, Phil Bentham calls upstairs, Huddersfield line up behind their try line and the question on everyone's lips is ... "Who is the video referee>"; no point speculating, none at all. 20 - 0 to the hosts.

Edited by StreetCowboy

For a moment it looked like McGilvery might break on the outside, but great sliding defence stops him, bt Huddersfield win a penalty as Warrington delay the play-the-ball to let the defence reset. The ball comes back into the middle to big Eorl Crabtree and the radio feed goes dead... ... ... It;s Ian Smith in the video ref's box, Danny Brough is lining up the kick to convert Sean Lunt's try, but will Ian Smith judge that the ball has come loose and knocked on before it was grounded. but the video ref says "Carry on, Danny boy"; Sean Lunt dived round from acting half-back, to nip over the line, and it's 20 - 6.

Huddersfield are attacking again, Danny Brough darts close and on the last tackle they get close, closer, but turnover. The Warrington forwards charge out.

A high kick, picked out the air by Joel Monaghan, he passes it back, but the ball is lost in a knock-on, then Huddersfield win a penalty

Dale Ferguson latches onto a pass, knocks Brett Hodgson aside and scores for a second for Hudderfield, rather distressingly for Warrington, Brett Hodgson is stretched out flat on his back. Danny Brough slots the kick over, 20 - 12.

Danny Brough's kick is charged down, so Huddersfield get another six tackles, Big Eorl Crabtree drives up to half way. Ian Chisnell is commending Phil Bentham's performance with the whistle. A high spiralling kick tests Brett Hodgson's recovery, and he never flinches as he takes it comfortably, and back to Monaghan, to Bennie Westwood and Warrington break the crowd are on their feet and Joel Monaghan scores from a Hodgson pass to Chris Bridge

Edited by StreetCowboy

You are playing out of your skin SC....but why bother....as you know....I have picked the winners already.....!

Let's see what the rest of the weekend brings, and the draw for the next round, to be played at the end of July, and we'll see who's off the Wembellee! Wembellee! on 24th August....

SC

And they re-start, Huddersfield attack but a knock-on gives Warrington their first attack.

Lee Briers, Chris Bridge, danger signs are flashing and Joel Monaghan scores on the wing 30 - 12.

And again Warrington attack, but Lee briers is stopped by McGillvery.

Monaghan pops it up to Mike Cooper, quick play, out to Brett Hodgson, Briers kicks through and Aaron Murphy is trapped in goal for a goalline drop-out.

Joe Wardle is helped off with a knee injury

Danny Brough drops out from under the posts

32 - 12 to Warrington. Gareth Carvell to Ratchford and the danger signs are more than flashing.

Morely jinks left - and that's ANOTHER no it isn't forward pass...

Edited by StreetCowboy

You are playing out of your skin SC....but why bother....as you know....I have picked the winners already.....!

Let's see what the rest of the weekend brings, and the draw for the next round, to be played at the end of July, and we'll see who's off the Wembellee! Wembellee! on 24th August....

SC

Both of us with a bit of luck.

I hope the pies are better than at Pittodrie.

Brett Ferris brings the ball over half way for Huddersfield - it's not Joe Wardle that went off, he's still on the pitch...

Brett Hodgson again safe under a plummeting spiralling kick dropping out of the stratosphere, Chris Reilly shrugs off two tackles but David Faivaulo (I'm guessing on the spelling there) won't be shrugged off... Lee Briers stabs a crafty little kick through for himself and he dives on the grubber to score an outrageous try

And another try, and I would guess some of the travelling support might be thinking about the long road back. The commentators say there's no way back, but if they leave now to avoid the rush it should be quick on the M62 back over the Pennines.

Warrington playing the entertaining rugby for which they are renowned

and Huddersfield are not giving up, despite the score line, but they can't breach the Warrington defence.

Joel Monaghan breaks, to Mickey Higham, to Chris Bridges, but it's the turnover and Huddersfield bring the ball back

Danny Brough launches a pass as far forward as Wigan Station and in the following move McGilvery steals the ball out of the air to bring the scores up to 44 - 18 but the commentators believe that its over as a contest with less than ten minutes to go.

In the return for the kick-off, Huddersfield kick it back, Hodgson fields it, and lee briers spills the ball in the tackle.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Scott Grix dummies and scores another try for Huddersfield - Warrington have taken their foot off the throttle, 44 - 24 to the home side as we near the final hooter

And that's the way it ends .. as Lee Briers takes the ball that shoots out from the scrum, Joel Monaghan can't reach the ball as briers kicks it over his head, and the final hooter goes.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

Warrington face Hull FC in a fortnight's time, while London Broncos will face the winner of tonight's DW Stadium match between Wigan v Widnes. Neutral venues have yet to be decided.

In the league fixtures between the two, Hull FC won convincingly at the Halliwell Jones 16 - 26 in May while Warrington won 10 - 24 at the KC Stadium early in the season in February.

In-between-times, next week Hull will travel to face a resurgent Bradford, while Warrington entertain Hulking Stonerovers

SC

An attendance of 7,600 at the Halliwell Jones is a bit disappointing for a Cup Quarter-Final against the team one point above them in the League - everyone must've been spectatored out after listening to the cricket

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'm just downloading a youtube video of the Wire - Pie-eaters game from a few weeks back. I'll watch it every week during the closed season...

I thought I would take the opportunity to check out the big matches coming up and - are my eyes deceiving me?

Sunday 18th August Warrington St Helens

Saturday 24th August Challenge Cup Final - my apologies for the arrogance, but we might make it...

Friday 30th August St Helens Warrington

We'll be struggling to catch up with Wigan with a fixture list like that - especially with the weeks' they'll have off, after going down to Widnes later on tonight in the Quarter-Finals

Huvyebintalkin'tae Pu Sing?

SC

I'm just downloading a youtube video of the Wire - Pie-eaters game from a few weeks back. I'll watch it every week during the closed season...

I thought I would take the opportunity to check out the big matches coming up and - are my eyes deceiving me?

Sunday 18th August Warrington St Helens

Saturday 24th August Challenge Cup Final - my apologies for the arrogance, but we might make it...

Friday 30th August St Helens Warrington

We'll be struggling to catch up with Wigan with a fixture list like that - especially with the weeks' they'll have off, after going down to Widnes later on tonight in the Quarter-Finals

Huvyebintalkin'tae Pu Sing?

SC

Looking forward, somewhat prematurely perhaps, to the week after next, on Saturday late afternoon (11 pm Thai) London Broncos and Wigan play at Leigh Sports Village. It might seem a bit unfair that Broncos will have to come up, beyond Watford Gap, all the way to the East Lancs Road, while the Wigan players can stumble to the ground in their pyjamas.

But Broncos would have been assured of a vociferous support from nearby Warrington, were it not for their commitments the following day at the John Smith's Yorkshire Squares stadium in Huddersfield against the aptly named Hull FC, though Smokie tells me that actually stands for Football Club. You learn something new every day. The Warringon game kicks off at midnight Thai time - a bit too late for me, it being a school night, so I might phone in sick in the morning.

SC

• Like 1

I thought I'd take a moment to reflect nostalgically on days gone by

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLC_vqhfZ0

What a Wigan team! A great atmosphere at the old Wilderspoole stadium, with the fans only a few feet from the touch lines...

In case you're interested, I believe that the final score was 15 apiece.

Compare that to the equivalent fixture this season

SLXVIII 2013 Round 19 warrington v wigan - YouTube

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

But back to the present day

North Wales Crusaders 42 - 24 London Skolars, Crusaders favourites for promotion to the Championship.

But now, witching hour has turned, and Cinderella will be supping up to get home in time for the Northern Rail Cup

Leigh Centurions face Challenge Cup Quarter-Finalists Sheffield Eagles

SC

Sheffield leading 16 - 8 at half time, but Leigh pull one back to trail 14 - 16 early in the second half..

And a flurry of punches from both sides sees two red cards, and it's 12 a side, and Sheffield take a 2 point lead

Edited by StreetCowboy

Sheffield leading 16 - 8 at half time, but Leigh pull one back to trail 14 - 16 early in the second half..

And a flurry of punches from both sides sees two red cards, and it's 12 a side, and Sheffield take a 2 point lead

Punches eh? It must be the warm weather SC....leniency referee please....its 30C here!

Punches eh? It must be the warm weather SC....leniency referee please....its 30C here!

In the 72nd minute a drop goal sees Leigh take a 31 - 24 lead...

Two more tries see Leigh end the game with a flattering 43 - 24 lead as the final whistle goes but Tom Armstrong dots the ball down in the corner and the final score 43 - 28 from a game that was evenly balanced until the last ten minutes; Leigh win their fourth Northern Rail Cup from five visits to the Final.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Good evening gents; Ray, Allan.

It's a bit cloudy with a pleasant breeze here at the Halliwell Jones, as Hulking Stonerovers kick off against Warrington

Rovers have the first attack of the match, a kick over the top but they can't chase the ball down, and Warrington will kick out from their own goal line.

Warrington, with their first real attack of the game see Chris Bridge kick through and Brett Hodgson PARACHUTES in to score the first try of the afternoon after about eight minutes.

Ten minutes gone, Warrington 6 - 0 ahead, and two penalties see them attacking again. Gareth Carvell too much of a handful for the Rovers defence, Warrington play the ball a metre from the Rovers line; and again five metres out and Mike Cooper charges over the try line for the second try.

Hall puts boot to ball to break through the Warrington line but Warrington get to the ball first. But a minute later, Rovers score well-worked try for Jordan Cox, and Michael Dobson adds the extra two points.

Rovers are held up under the posts, and Warrington counter-attack.

the game swings back and forth, and in the moments before half time Travis Burns goes over, but he's judged to have been offside at the kick, and the half ends with Warrington hanging on to their 12 - 6 lead.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And the game runs back and forth in the second half - attacking the Hull KR line, Briers kicks ahead and he puts his hands to his head as he kicks it too far ahead and the ball goes dead.

Lincoln Withers brings the ball up, a steepling kick plummets from the skies, Chris Bridge takes it and Bridge shrugs off Travis Burns and that takes Warrington up to the KR 20 metre line, and Ben Currie takes the ball from Lee Briers to score and extend their lead.

A demoralising score from an end-to-end break; Warrington get possession from the kick-off, a penalty for a high tackle by Josh Hodgson, Warrington maintain the attack, but can't make it count.

But Warrington have the majority of the possession and keep the pressure on Rovers

Once again, the Warrington defence holds, and Rovers turn the ball over inches short of the Warrington line, but Warrington get a penalty for lying on and interfering,

Warrington rip through the KR defence - it looks like Chris Reilly has lost it - he has but he;'s got it back - and Warrington score again.

And I can't see Rovers coming back from this now... We can see Chris Bridge's lunch coming back, though, as he is violently sick at the side of the pitch - more likely from a knock to the stomach than a dicky pint in the Three Pigeons earlier in the afternoon

Michael Monaghan scores to the left hand side of the posts and its 26 - 6; Hull KR looking sorry for themselves and their fans very quiet.

As we approach the final minutes of the match, Warrington are running Hull Kingston Rovers ragged, and another try extends their score. Lee Briers takes the conversion - 34:6

And that's the way the game ends...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1