Live Rugby League

Is that the conclusion for tonight's games?

Even though saddened by Wakefield's loss I can take some solace and rejoicing in Warrington's win.

We're tightly balanced in the second half, though St Helens trail Warrington 30 - 10 from the first half.

Still bright sunshine though the shadows are lengthening.

and St helens have scored the first try in the second half, after out-jumping the defenders

SC

EDIT: And it looked like St Helens were breaking, but they've knocked on, and it's a Warrington scrum.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And it's try time at the Etihad as Lance Ohia says "Give it me, I'll score", and he did, and he did.

And it's 30 - 22 in Warrington's favour, a very different story from half time.

And miseryguts Ray is fretting about the defences ahead of the World Cup...some of us would love to have a defence in the World Cup...

And the ball was flashed across but it's too hard, it's too strong, it's too powerful, and Warrington bring it back, leading from 30 points to 22.... Paul "Hitler" Wood brings it up to 10 metres inside his own half... and Saints lose the ball, but Warrington ars stopped two metres short. Last tackle... Myler grubber kicks, that's off-side, scrum down to Warrington with ten minutes to go and ten to the try line. Ball goes in, comes out (it's an abomination, by the way), but St Helens keep the door shut... Trent Waterhouse, sufficient reach and it's try time! The Warrington fans are on their feet shouting, dancing, they're ecstatic.

Warrington 34 - 22 St Helens, and Ray and Allan will be at the Etihad tomorrow for Widnes - Salford, the frst game of the afternoon, building up to Wigan St Helens....

And Warrington have scored again for a seventh try to put the game beyond doubt; their sixth win, apparently, of 45 in Superleague. Though you may recall last season when the teams each won their away fixtures, and Warrington beat St Helens at Langtree Park on their way to the Challenge Cup Final (admittedly, after losing in the qualifying quarterfinal at the Halliwell Jones

AND ADRIAN MORLEY HAS SCORED UNDER THE POSTS after such an absence, the 35 year old forward veteran scores

And I'm looking forward to seeing the moving pictures tomorrow. Good luck for the rest of the season, Thadeus Warrington still trailing Wigan and Leeds for the League Leaders' Shield - they play each other tomorrow....

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Put 'em up SC.....come on I'll have ye ya varmint!

You won't beat the 2013 Challenge Cup winners.....we're going on an unbeaten run!

Edit: I had theblether buy up all the Irn bru in town before he left.

Crivvens - you mean when I go to Glasgow there'll be none?

By the way, would you be interested in a rake down to Warrington on the afternoon and evening of Friday the 14th June for the England Exiles match? My mate S from round there can't make it, unfortunately, and poor old Mr KW hasn't responded - his increasing years may be taking their toll.... we might be able to catch an overnight train back.

SC

I would...but my gf might object as she is picking me up from Suvarnabhumi on the morning of 15th June....

Well it's you, me, Ray and Allen tonight as Salford Red Devils travel cross-city to meet Widnes at the Etihad Stadium

My apologies; I was suffering from an evening with Mad King Ludwig and had to retire early. I watched the repeat today and it was a good game. A 28 - 22 score line sees The Red Devils haul themselves off the bottom of the rable, leaving London to prop the league up. Widnes' hopes were extinguished in the last minute by a penalty for pushing early in the scrum

SC

... Widnes' hopes were extinguished in the last minute by a penalty for pushing early in the scrum

SC

They still 'push' in scrums ... blink.png

I thought that modern Footballers were 'to Posh to Push'?

There was a scrum went against the head a couple of seasons back. Normally they just lean against one another, share a cigarette while the scrum half throws the ball between the number eight's legs.

• Like 1

The cheering from the KC Stadium woke me up, so I joined the game at half-time with Hull FC leading 18 - 0 against Leeds...

James Child with the whistle, if anyone's interested, and one daresn't speculate who may be in the video box.

SC

Leeds attack the Hull line, but McShane drops the ball as he tries to back his way over the line. They're missing Danny McGuire, who is in agony in the dug-out, they're cutting his sock off.

By the way, the commentators were asking if anyone was going to the England - Exiles game in Warrington in a fortnight. I could make it down, but I don't want to go all that way on my own.

Oh goodness me - and Leeds break from their own half, Sutcliffe dummys and passes, and Brett Delaney is off down the wing to score in the corner, and Kevin Sinfield kicks to make it 18 - 6 to the home side. Brett Delaney is looking uncomfortable.

Is fatigue beginning to tell on Hull? They're missing tackles, and dropping the ball... Peter Gentle looks nervous in the stands. Fifteen minutes to go. Kevin Sinfield kicks for touch ten metres from the Hull line.

Holdsworth kicks a grubber through on the sixth tackle, Ryan Hall fumbles at the first attempt, and he's tackled in goal for Hull FC to attack again. They're attacking desperately, but Tom Briscoe knocks on from a cross-field kick. and Ryan Hall spins through a couple of tackles. Sinfield puts a high kick up... but it's too long and Hull field it.

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

Kirk Yeaman breaks, his team mates are crying out for the pass, Holdsworth's in more space than Yuri Gagarin, but Yeaman throws a wild pass just as he's tackled into touch and there's no way Holdsworth can get his hands to that, and possession is turned over.
Leeds build their attack more steadily, keeping the ball alive looking for a gap in the Hull defence. Last tackle a few metres out but Joel Moon is held up on the last tackle.
I'm guessing smokie is too engrossed in the game to comment, by the way.
Daniel Holdsworth kicks a 40 - 20 to give Hull an attacking position - that really does seem like a ridiculous and arbitrary rule, by the way; Holdsworth has all the time in the world to set up a drop goal and he scuffs it to the left of the uprights.
"Come on you Hull" rings round the stadium.There's no way I'll be getting up in the middle of the night on Tuesday morning for the other televised game this weekend - Huddersfield - St helens, but I'm hoping to catch Salford - Warrington with Ray and Allen n Sunday evening.
The Rhinos are not giving up, but the sands of time are trickling away through their fingers too quickly. A penalty and they're up to the Hull try line, there's the hooter, a desperate kick through on the last tackle, Hull pat the ball dead and Leeds fall to their fourth defeat in a row.
Crivvens, Johnny, I didn't expect to see you here
"Watch the Top XIV live and exclusive on Eurosport"
Thanks for the reminder, Mr Wilkinson. Tomorrow night, at 0200 am THAI, we have the Top XIV Final Toulon - Castres over in the other code. Let's see how Max Evans and his team-mates can square up to the Toulon superstars..
EDIT: And that win takes Hull FC past Leeds into fourth spot on the table, but it's a tight corner
3rd Warrington Played 16 - 21 points
4th Hull FC Played 17 - 20 points
5th Leeds Played 15 - 19 points
Edited by StreetCowboy

Well, I tuned in to the Warrington - Salford game... ... .... ....silence. Ian Chisnell is there - I tuned into Allen Rooney at the Stobart Stadium for Widnes Catalans, and he's been on the phone to Ian Chisnell, who has popped out of the Haliwell Jones to use the phone in the nearby Lord Rodney. 10 - 0 to Warrington. 0 - 6 at the Stobart, but the Vikings are raiding 12 m from the French end of the Stobart Stadium.

But Catalans break from their own try line - bit of holding down by desperate Vikings and a penalty on the half-way line. Wakefield - Wigan kicks off in fifteen minutes....

After a penalty by Leon Pryce, the pointy-helmeted men have scored from a Rees Hanbury pass to Paddy Flynn and Jack Owens has a difficult kick from right out on the touch line at the northern side of the Stobart Stadium

- And it's a Belter!

Meanwhile, if you took a ferry up the Mersey you'd find that Joel Monaghan had stretched Warrington's lead, and with Stefan Ratchford's help its 16 - 0 against their neighbours from up the Ship Canal.

But back down to Halton Borough, where the Vikings are pillaging their way through the Dragons' defence but Phil Bentham has penalised them for loose talk - sinks ships, that does, and Catalans get a second penalty for an 'armless shoulder charge

SC

And I can tell you that ...

hold on - Cameron Phelps is off, and he could've been given a penalty for a tackle round the neck by a referee who was more generous with his whistle...

... the Warrington commentary channel now has the Widnes commentary as well; with just a slight delay, so when I've got both streams running, the echo sounds like an Indian costume drama. I'm guessing that Ian Chisnell is trying to get Ray French out the Lord Rodney

"C'mon Ray, they've kicked off!"

"Shoosh, Ian, Allen's doing a great job down at the Stobart. It's a great game, by the way. Who's doing Warrington today?"
"WHy do you think we're in Warrington - you..."

"Shoosh, Ian, they're off again! Get oos another peynt, while ye're stood theur"

Ian Chisnell is a bit out of breath running down to the Lord rodney to use the phone - "Wait - I can hear the roar - that's 26 - 4 to Warrington

Sorry, lads, I was having a look round the other pubs near the Halliwell Jones, while Catalans scored again. The Red Lion, just across the road doesn't look a patch on the Lord Rodney, and the next closest is my old local, The Three Pigeons

... Try time at the Stobart! and Widnes have scored. Jack Owens was in the Wide Awake Club and the weight of Kevin Brown's kick was absolutely perfect and Rhees Hanbury has played the last four tackles with one boot on... Has Jack Owens got his kicking boots on... the ball drifts wide of the upright and two points separate the teams.

I'd forgotten about the Three Pigeons - a lapse of memory for which I am quite grateful....

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And before the hooter goes for half - time

AND WHAT A MOVE - a try right out the top drawer - Cameron Phelps passes to Winterstein, and just before he was caught he passes back to Phelps to score. Despite what the commentators say, the touch judges wave their flags to show the kick was wide. ANd when they go in for oranges, it's Widnes 14 - 12 Catalans.

Warrington 28 - 4 Salford, while in the first ten minutes of play at the Bellevue ("Rapid Solicitors', mate. That's actionable, that is") EWakefield trail their visitors 0 - 6 Wigan.

And What a start to the second half - Frank Winterstein scores!

Ascare has scored again - not his typical long distance try, but a burrowing effort to get his third try for the visitors; Scott Dureau kicks from the touchline - the crowd do their best to put him off, and he can't get the kick to equalise.

My apologies for the lapses in commentary; I'm suffering from my virtual pub crawl round Warrington - I think I'll see if Sean from Glasgow is in the News Room - Wait! Terrific defending on the last tackle has kept the Dragons out "I have no idea how the Catalans player failed to score, but they've held him up and Widnes get the ball"

Kevin Brown is off, Mellor goes inside, Ascare drags him down and Asare comes up with the ball from a one on one tackle

Edited by StreetCowboy

And Warrington are running riot to avenge their defeat earlier in the season at the Barton-on-Irwell Saford City Stadium, while, if the BBC web site is to be believed, Wakefield Wildcats lead the league leaders Wigan 12 - 10

And while I'm telling you that, Catalans have slipped another one in, so to speak

And Widnes have broke away and young Jack Owens, into his stride, it was an advantages play, there was no-one at home, I don't think Phil Bentham really knew what was going on, and if this was on television, we'd be held up by a video referral, but it's not, so we're not. Widnes 24 - 26 Catalans. Maybe I need a wingman like Jack Owens... he seems to score very easily...

But Catalans have scored again, and Widnes need to score next if they're to keep in this game...

... Winterstein runs onto the ball like a runaway train, there's steam coming out of his ears and his legs are pounding like pistons (Where's the buffet car, mate?) and the kick's a belter! Widnes 30 - 32 Catalans...

And it's hardly worth going to Warrington

"ssmagick; Ah'm tellin'yoo, Allen"

"I'm Ian. Ian Chisnell"

"Ah'm tellin'yoo, Allen; thistetlesis greyt. Haow'stheWiregettinGon? 'Aveyefoundwho'scommenteytinGyet?"

"62-4, Cowboy"

Thanks, Ian.

And Owens has kicked a penalty to tie the scores in Widnes, while it's 17-16 for Wakefield (according to the latest news from the BBC regarding the Rapid Solicitors, and this is meant for information only...."

Catalns win a scrum and work it up to the thirty - they go for the drop goal, it's charged down and Rees Hansbury is off, he wins a penalty, a great kick takes Widnes up to their therty metre line. Fifteen seconds... Kevin Brown is off, the chase is on, the hooter sounds, Catalans have the ball, they're tackled and the hooter sounds square at 32 32.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And as I doff my boxers to go to bed a Tiger roars from the fridge "OY! The Wakefield game's still on Radio Manchester"; Wigan have let Wakefield get ahead, then pulled it back to 23 - 22 in favour of the hosts, and Wigan knock on at the play-the-ball, and M. Thierry Allibert says "Pas bon".

A win for Wakefield will play into the hands of Warrington, chasing for the League Leaders' Shield, though Wigan will remain top whatever happens

Remember - Huddersfield Giants, second in the league, play St Helens, struggling in the lower half of the table, on Monday night and I never thought I'd be hoping St Helens win...

A quick play-the-ball and sheer brute strength sees Wigan go over under the sticks to take the lead

SC

And Wigan win a penalty to lead by seven. Darryl Goulding's 77th minute try - his first for the season, seals the game for Wigan.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Aggggggggggggggg ... the final score from the Wakefield game?

When you can old chap ... wai.gif

BTW ... "A win for Wakefield will play into the hands of Warrington" ... for me a win/win situation!

After Daryl Goulding's 77th minute try sealed it for Wigan, they went on to score again, with a final score of 23 - 36 for the visitors belying the fact they had trailed for so much of the game. So they retain their six point advantage over Warrington, which I doubt they will give up in the back half of the season. In between, Huddersfield play St Helens tonight. I'm not going to stay up for it...

SC

• 2 weeks later...

monday night uk time,tues 1.45am our time leeds vs.wigan leeds have 2 games in hand so it must be a win for them.

BBC reckons it's Leeds Widnes - Widnes have a game in hand as well; it's England - Exiles on Friday night at the Halliwell Jones in Warrington, so there'll be a few players missing - probably more so from the Leeds squad... I decided not to go down for the game as my friends were out of town

SC

Just dropping by to see if there is anyone else in the stands.

Apparently not.

SC ... when is the next game of note?

England beat the Exiles fairly soundly; I couldn't make it down to the game, and my friends that live near the Halliwell Jones were away for the weekend in any case.

I'll be away next weekend as well, travelling over the weekend, so I doubt I will catch any games, though I might just be lucky enough - I'll be baffled with time differences, though... so no commentary likely until Friday 28th at the earliest. In July we have the next round of the Challenge Cup - Friday July 13th Sheffield, the only surviving Championship side, entertain London, On Saturday Smokie will be in Perpignan for Catalns - Hull FC, on Sunday Warrington host Huddersfield, and finally on Monday night July 16th Wigan host Widnes; I'm sure you'll all be joining me in cheering in my sleep for the Vikings.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1

monday night uk time,tues 1.45am our time leeds vs.wigan leeds have 2 games in hand so it must be a win for them.

BBC reckons it's Leeds Widnes - Widnes have a game in hand as well; it's England - Exiles on Friday night at the Halliwell Jones in Warrington, so there'll be a few players missing - probably more so from the Leeds squad... I decided not to go down for the game as my friends were out of town

SC

38-28 wow to be continued.

My apologies for the lack of coverage this last week or two - I've been out the country; but I'll be back in time for the highlight of the season - the Pie Eaters' trip to the Halliwell Jones on Monday evening. Depending on my jet lag, I might get up for the game, but probably not. If you see Ray and Allan, please offer my apologies...

Bit of a disaster for Smokie, as Hull slip 30 - 28 against Castleford. Highlights not on Youtube yet

SC

Twenty minutes in, and Wigan trailing 0 - 6 against the Wire....

Tomorrow I have to work, so I'm struggling to abandon my grip on reality

SC

Final score 22 - 12 in Warrington's favour, narrowing the gap to four points at the top of the table (Huddersfield still between the two M6 neighbours...)

Yergeography'spish, Cowboy

No, I meant Huddersfield are still in second place ahead of Warrington

Aye, Ahwizthinkin' yement LeighontheEastLancsRoad...

But enough of these interruptions; this weekend on astro we've got St helens v Hull KR on Friday night and on Monday, the TV Derby, Hull FC host Wakefield!

I'll struggle to sleep through that one, with David shouting Wakey Wakey all the way through it

I've also set to record the SOO game in case I don't make it home from work, and Warriors v Broncos, to see if Quade Cooper has switched codes yet

SC

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's not often if frequent the Pub, however, events have overtaken me and fortuitously somebody left their match report on the bar at the Lord Rodney

Welcome to the Halliwell Jones Stadium, Winwick Road, Warrington for Warrington Wolves v Leeds Rhinos

Warrington playing at great pace, trying to blow Leeds away in the opening minutes of the game, and a quick play o the ball wins a penalty for defenders off-side; Warrington’s first real attack in the fourth minute wins a second penalty a few metres from the Warrington line. Ratchford weaves and wriggles and pushes and squirms his way over the line but he’s held up. On the last tackle Micky Higham stabs a kick through from acting-half and flops on the ball for the first score. “Jamie Peacock not impressed” but Tony Smith is looking smug in the stands.Hodgson makes it 6-0.

Ryan Hall replies with a wonderful break down the wing, Rob Burrow succumbs to the second of two high tackles and the penalty takes Leeds up to the 20 metre mark. Jamie Peacock and Karl Ablett drive the ball closer to the line, then Joel Moon feeds Ryan Hall who skips round the touchline and score for Leeds.

I’m watching this a few hours later with Pu Sing, the Time Travelling Superhero of Petaling Jaya, by the way, so I can’t communicate with Ray and Allan (“No, ‘e can’t. No communication at all, Allan”); I’ve got the Sky Sports commentary on instead…

Both sides are trying to keep the ball alive. Joel Monaghan looking a bit lacklustre, Leeds turn the ball over and break sixty metres down the line, Ben Thaler chooses not to query the possibility of obstruction (and if we’d waited for the replay, we’d have seen the wisdom of Ben Thaler, as Chris Reilly was the player at fault) and Liam Sutcliffe gives Leeds the lead. 6 - 8 in Leeds’ favour – Sinfield being off injured this week. Both sides are trying to keep the ball alive, as I said, and this time it’s Warrington who get the turnover ball. Ryan Atkins hobbles off the field – a blow for Warrington. Chris Bridge comes on as a replacement.

Bradford were ahead at Wigan, by the way… Leeds Paul McShane kick out on the full, and Warrington have a scrum on the half way line. Resolute defending from Leeds, a kick over, a knock-on from Leeds, a desperate free play comes to nought and Warrington can’t pierce the Leeds defence. Paul McShane hits Chris Hill as he goes over and the ball comes loose for a knock-on. And Leeds knock on as Mitch Aitchurch is tackled low by Ben Westwood and he hobbles to his feet as he’s helped off thepitch. Brian McDermott looks concerned, with an injury list longer than Santa’s. Warrington attacking again in the 10 metre red zone and a wild pass from Mike Cooper sees Leeds take possession again.

Rob Burrow kicks for a 40 – 20, the ball bobbles back in field, a fantastic chase by Ryan Hall but Hodgson ducks underneath and Reilly brings the ball up the field. Then Stefan Ratchford uncharacteristically knocks on and Leeds have a scrum near the centre of the pitch.

12-4 for Bradford…

• Like 1

Turning the page ...

Leeds attacking a solid Warrington defence and Westwood has come up with the ball from a charge-down. Leeds are very quick in defence and Warrington kick from their own half. Leeds back on the attack. Now Warrington come back from their own 10 metre line. A long kick down field will see Leeds bring it back from their 20. It looked like Callum Watkins had pierced the Warrington defence and kept the ball alive for Liam Sutcliffe to break, but the pass was forward and Warrington pack down on the half way line.

Back to back knock-ons see Leeds scrum 25 metres out. A bit of argy-bargy breaks out for a swinging arm by Ben Westwood… Gareth Carvell can’t hold on to the ball as the Leeds players crash into him. Ben Westwood gives a penalty away, holding down. Leeds spin the ball, frantic passing, kick over the top and Joel Monaghan brings the ball out. Stefan Ratchford breaks but Watkins pulls him down just over half way, but Warrington win a penalty A shocking pass, but Westwood picks it up, and bullocks through three Rhinos. Gareth Carvell battwrs his way just short of the line and Warrington can’t drive over the line. A kick, and Ben Jones Bishop downs the ball and Leeds kick out from their goal line.

Morley runs straight into Foster, Higham, Ratchford, Cooper, Briers kicks but there’s no-one to collect it, and Leeds take the pressure off from their 10 metre line. But Warrington can’t get through, Leeds have a half-break, but a desperate tackle, Ratchford gives away a penalty as he flops on late after the tackle, and Leeds attack…. But Burrows is hurt as he slips and hits his head on the defender’s knee. Grix loses the ball immediately after the scrum and Leeds are attacking again. Warrington are making a lot of mistakes.

16-4 for Bradford at Wigan at half time. Ninety seconds to go here as Warrington bring the ball from their own line. Gareth Carvell pushes the Rhinos back. Last tackle, Hardacre runs it back from his in-goal area. Leeds happy to see out the first half, and both sides are tiring as they go in for oranges 6 – 8 in Leeds favour on the hottest day of the year so far, temperatures in the high 20s.

A long kick off sees Warrington take the ball from their own goal line, but the first penalty for off-side sees them with six tackles from the Leeds 20. It looks like Warrington are going to score in the corner but Ryan Hall stretches a hand out, picks the ball out of the air and he’s off. A desperate chase by Chris Reilly, but he can’t stop the Leeds winger diving over in the corner. Zak Hardaker misses his third conversion – 6 – 12 to Leeds.

Again, Warrington knock on – Brett Hodgson this time charging through the middle of the Leeds defence, but without the ball. A poor pass from Watkins to Hardaker sees Warrington excused their error. Ratchford is limping. A high kick bounces in goal but it goes out and Leeds come from their 20 metre line. Rob Burrow driving his troops on. Warrington win another attacking penalty, but the younger fans are looking nervous … and another knock on from Ben Currie – no wonder they’re concerned.

Richard Moore reaches up to plant a high shot on Bennie Westwood and Warrington again attack from a penalty. And at last Warrington score, Ratchford ducks and darts under the defence, still trying to reset, and Tom Hark breaks out around the stands. Kevin Sinfield looks sternly on from the stands. Brett Hodgson adjusts his socks, breathes deeply, looks at the posts and the veteran full-back levels the scores “the kicking is the difference” says the commentator, but it’s the location of the scores – Warrington have driven down the middle while Leeds have been forced out to the corners.

The ball goes loose, its bouncing about, no-one can hold on to it and in the end Leeds get a penalty for the ball being dislodged after the tackle. The players are struggling to hear the referee as the crowd goes wild. Leeds attacking, Ben Jones-Bishop breaks on the wing, but Foster knocks on as the tackles come in like forge-hammers. Ryan Atkins limps into the stands on crutches. Warrington continue to drive up the middle of the pitch but Grix knocks on. Zak Hardaker breaks loose from the defence on the last tackle and he’s over nearer to the posts – poor marking from Warrington and you’d never know Leeds had been playing a frantic sixty minutes already. The Warrington mascot is lying on the ground clutching his head in despair. And this time, Hardaker converts his own try… 12 – 18 to the Champions.

Last page ...

16 – 14 in Wigan as the league leaders claw their way back. A magic high kick from Welsh WizardBriers. Monaghan times his leap, Ryan Hall is a moment late, Monaghan palms the ball back to Brett Hodgson who gathers the ball safely in his arms and it’s try time for Warrington, and the crowd go wild. Hodgson’s turn to convert his own try; 18 all and 15 minutes to go.

Elsewhere, Bradford stretch out to 20 – 14 ahead…

Will this be the first draw between these two teams since 2001? Warrington drills the ball deep, but he can’t get the back spin he’s looking for and Leeds take the ball from their 20 metre mark. Warrington trying to break through the middle, but turnover ball and Warrington defend in the middle of the pitch.

… Wigan have levelled the scores ….

Can Warrington get into drop goal range? Micky Higham suffering from cramp, scrum to Leeds from a long Briers kick and Warrington will try to force an error from the Leeds counter-attack. Warrington driving back in defence, trying to stifle the Leeds attack; fifth tackle and the chase stops Hodgson within his own 20 metres. Warrington need to show composure as they drive upfield. Ratchford puts the ball into the corner touchline; six minutes to go, still 18 – all, and 20 – all at the DW up the road in Wigan. The crowd goes wild as Ben Thaler signals for a knock-on, instead of a Paul Wood ball steal – I can see why Wood would do that, though… Briers slices a drop goal off the wrong foot, Hodgson is sprawled out, Foster is being assessed for concussion

… and at the DW, Wigan have broken, Liam Farrell breaks, passes to Chris Jewson who scores under the post to beat Bradford and keep Wigan top of the league for another week; 26 – 20.

Can Warrington keep their concentration and beat the champions? A knock on from Leeds and Warrington pack down quickly. Warrington drive up the middle again, the ball comes back to Brett Hodgson for a drop goal but the chase is too quick, Warrington spin it wide, but can’t find their way through, the ball comes back to Briers for a drop goal but the chase is quick again and the ball goes wide of the posts again. Two minutes to go. Five tackles for Leeds, a kick over the Warrington goal line; 90 seconds. Paul Wood drives the ball up. 60 seconds and Lee Briers at the third attempt takes Warrington one point clear! A fumble off the kick-off but it goes backwards and Warrington have to calm down and hold on. The hooter goes and Warrington kick the ball into touch.

Warrington stay in touch for the League leaders’ shield, two points behind Wigan, both teams winners in the final moments against Yorkshire rivals.

• Like 1

Wire are such a jammy lot...you really are! tongue.png

Nothing jammy about missing the first two drop goals.

This weekend, its Challenge Cup Quarterfinals

- not live on Astro, but delayed - I think all four games, but can't be sure.

Friday - Sheffield London - I'm working in the morning, so I'll wait for the delayed telecast

Saturday - Catalans v Hull, 10 pm THAI I have an alternative appointment; anything could happen

Sunday - 10.15 Warrington v Huddersfield I'll try to catch up with Allan Rooney and Ray French in the Lord Rodney on the way to the ground

Monday - Wigan v Widnes; I've never been to Wigan, and I'm not about to start now....

SC