Live Rugby League

I was trying to find the dates for the European Cup games - I guess the first three weeks in October, but all I could find was

Scotland v Ireland 16th October, Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow, Adults GBP 15...

I also noticed, though, in the Four Nations

28 October, New Zealand v Australia at the Halliwell Jones stadium, Warrington

(England v France relegated to Leigh Sports Village the following day!)

so a fantastic season of rugby at the Halliwell Jones this year - Wigan playing there for the third time in a couple of months when Warrington challenge them for the lead of the Superleague; Wigan have already won there twice this season, beating Warrington in the Quarter-Final of the Challenge Cup, and St Helens in the Semi-Final.

Can Warrington repeat their victory at the DW Stadium to take the lead in the Superleague?

Kick-off 1845 (Thai) - commentary on BBC prob. Radio Manchester and Radio Merseyside

SC

10-0 ahahaha...at least here a ref understands!

Castleford 18-50 Hull

Good score!

Still all to lose next Friday when you entertain the Primrose and Blue, though...

Entertainingly, any draw in Hull will be enough to see lads through to the play-offs; either on Friday night or on Sunday, when (sung) "...Castleford are coming to town!"

I would be at the Halliwell Jones this evening, in spirit at least, except its a sell-out crowd; (sorry, I was trying to think of a joke about a full glass and room for a wee nip, but I don't know any Japanese hookers; though in League they are not that small anyway...)

SC

Castleford 18-50 Hull

Good score!

Still all to lose next Friday when you entertain the Primrose and Blue, though...

Entertainingly, any draw in Hull will be enough to see lads through to the play-offs; either on Friday night or on Sunday, when (sung) "...Castleford are coming to town!"

I would be at the Halliwell Jones this evening, in spirit at least, except its a sell-out crowd; (sorry, I was trying to think of a joke about a full glass and room for a wee nip, but I don't know any Japanese hookers; though in League they are not that small anyway...)

SC

We're on a good run at the moment so it should be a fair scrap. Naturally I'll be tipping us to win.....

Castleford 18-50 Hull

Good score!

SC

We're on a good run at the moment so it should be a fair scrap. Naturally I'll be tipping us to win.....

And after all that I was late for the kick-off

"King's Up in the Eurr and King has scored, but I think the referee is looking for an obstruction"

"Leuks laik its going to be a try, Ray" and Warrington take the lead"

"De de da da, de de de da (sung in chorus by the crowd)"

SC

Edit: ""and its try time at the Halliwell Jones ... Lee Briers collects it himself off his own little grubber kick, and Chris Bridge, right in front, will give Warrington a 12 point advantage"

Edit: "and he's going for daylight AND ITS TRY TIME AGAIN... and lines it up towards the couple of thousand Wigan fans... and we've had not a peep out of them"

"Well, they've had nothing, have they?"

18-0 "... and Wigan are having to play catch-up, but not impossible for a team like Wigan... Warrington with the ball, and Ray with the microphone"

"... Sam Tomkins is running through, and he's looking for support on his outside from his brother - AND HE'S DROPPED IT... that was a shocking pass... normally when Sam Tomkins gets going like that he scores himself, or for one of his team mates"

"22-0 and Alan, what is happening?

Well Ray, you'd never believe a score board that said 22-0 against Wigan and McGuire does not look a happy man at the moment"

"Oh and its a BYOOTIFUL TRY FOR DEACON... and he put his head back and literally beat man after man after man... six tackles in the bag for Wigan and they only needed one of them ... Paul Deacon is usually the man who decides which way the ball is going to go, and he just went straight at them... 24-6"

"A high one in front of the posts, surely, and its a drop goal attempt and ITS A BELTER!"

25-6 "a psychological blow as much as anything,and Wigan need to score four times..."

"HERE COME WIGAN AGAIN AND THAT"S A KNOCK-ON!"

less than 2 minutes to half time, Warrington in possession ...

Edited by StreetCowboy

"... and its a chance for Wigan, 3 metres from the Warrington line... Tomkins picks it up... but I'm afraid the kick is a wasted one"

Cheers

a few minutes pass

More Cheers "and Tomkins is FLATTENED by Morley and Silverwood (ref) just laughs"

"I've never seen a Wigan side, Ray, look - out of shape..."

"Warrington are moving in at great pace, they're not allowing WIgan to get any movement going"

Poor Ray French can't keep pace with the passing, he's quite out of breath! "Tony Smith said we want to play entertaining rugby but this is ridiculous - its like basketball!"

"This is more like Wigan as they approach the Warrington 20 but it is well picked up by Monaghan" - still 25-6

but "Sam Tomkins has got Pat Richards going down the outside" but Warrington pick it up "... only Sam Tomkins looks dangerous"

"Lee Briers picks out Matty Blythe and he is felled and loses the ball"

"That's another case of them NOT CARRYING THE BALL CORRECTLY! Why do the coaches allow it?"

"MYLER SCORES AND ITS TRY TIME AGAIN" "He's off-side Alan"

"But he's off-side Ray"

IT'S TRY TIME NOW RAY, JON CLARK HAS GONE OVER!"

There's five players involved in a fight, but the players have sorted it out amongst themselves, and this could be a penalty try let's see what the video referee says. I don't know who the video referee is - I think its Steve Ganson.. it's no good speculating" "You're quite right, no point" - it's a try, just a try, and a simple kick from just in front, and Silverwood is having a word with a Wigan player, and its Tomkins... Mr Silverwood also wants a word with a Warrington player - its going to be Lee Briers... he doesn't normally throw his weight around" "No, not at all"

and the Warrington fans are absolutely loving it, they're pointing thier fingers and booing, and I have never heard 5,000 Wigan fans so quiet"

"And Warrington will lead 31-6, who would have envisaged that, Ray?"

"No-one"

"31-6 and Warrington to receive the ball, and Ray on the microphone. ...This really is a massive fall from the example they set ... at Wembley"

"OH MONAGHAN HAS INTERCEPTED ... AND HE'S IN IN THE CORNER AND THAT IS A HYOOMILIAYASHUN!"

"Wigan came here after Wembley and a good week in training, confident with themselves, and they have been white-washed... 37-6" Wigan kick the ball into touch and Warrington on the attack again.

If I knew any pie-eaters on the forum I'd send them a PM!

"A good try from Wigan - a champion team playing right to the end 37-12"

Edited by StreetCowboy

"Finch gives himself up - 'I have knocked the ball on, referee', and Silverwood agrees... Warrington will get the ball from this scrum, and just two minutes remain... Mr Silverwood makes sure all is well, and it is, if you're a Warrington supporter..."

And I was momentarily distracted listening to a scuffle, but in the ensuing penalty, Warrington put another goal over to shake hands 39-12 the better, proving that their defence is as strong as any in Superleague... but its not over yet, they have a big game next Friday night at Hull, who are on song after battering Castleford

"and listen to the roars from the Warrington supporters, and Wigan go to their supporters behind the posts ... and you often hear about the Wigan Walk, but their giving their team a great reception"

And now, seven miles down the road to the Stobart Stadium in Widnes, the final championship game there, before Widnes join the Superleague next season... I think I might go home, now, though...

SC

In the final weekend of the Superleague season, Warrington travel to Hull on Friday evening (middle of the bloody night for us) needing at least a draw to clinch their first league leader's title in the superleague era; At the same time, Wigan, trailing a point behind, will be confident of claiming both points when they entertain Celtic Crusaders in their last Superleague match. Hull are guaranteed a place in the championship play-offs, but a win could lift them as far as 5th, if Leeds and Catalan Dragons stumble against Huddersfield and Salford respectively. If Hull lose, the winner of Hull KingstonRovers v Castleford will climb above them, with Hull dropping to 8th and last place in the play-offs.

and in other news, the Union World Cup kicks off about 12 hours earlier on Friday afternoon...

SC

It was a draw in the end although only one of us will be making the playoffs....laugh.gif

I think you'll find that Wasps are a Union side...

SC

A nippy wee side for sure.

Its a tough ask for us on Friday with your team playing so well SC but if we can beat you it will send out all the right signals.

Not to be missed!

(sung) Can you hear the FC sing?

Warrington claim the League Leaders Shield with a 34-12 win away at the KC stadium in Hull

SC

Brett Hodgson and Matt King are 2 of my favourite players. Pleased to see them doing well. And Big Pat Richards for Wigan at Wembley the other week.

They played that at The Stoop 2 years ago and it was great. But there's no way I can get to Warrington to see it. There will hardly be anyone there. Stupid choice of venue.

They played that at The Stoop 2 years ago and it was great. But there's no way I can get to Warrington to see it. There will hardly be anyone there. Stupid choice of venue.

Maybe old trafford was busy that day. Given that they are the League Leaders, the Superleague and Challenge Cup champions are just a few miles up the road then I don't really see where else you would hold the games - I suppose the two venues were chosen because the Kiwis and Aussies will all be coming up on the train from London to Bank Quay - like a Challenge Cup Final in reverse!

Or maybe they don't like to travel...

SC

Maybe old trafford was busy that day. Given that they are the League Leaders, the Superleague and Challenge Cup champions are just a few miles up the road then I don't really see where else you would hold the games - I suppose the two venues were chosen because the Kiwis and Aussies will all be coming up on the train from London to Bank Quay - like a Challenge Cup Final in reverse!

Or maybe they don't like to travel...

SC

Should just play it in London. It's where the natural support for this game are based. Only hard core fans will travel up there from London for a Friday night game. I've very disappointed at having to miss it. They could then play the England game in Warrington.

Just read that England v Australia will be at Wembley on 5/11 as a double header with Wales v NZ. At least they got that right. Would have preferred to see Aus v NZ though as it will likely be the only competitive game, except for the final.

YOHO!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/9589105.stm

St Helens put one over on Wigan in their Qualifying Quarter Final, so Wigan will have to play again to reach the Semis

Smokie:

I believe that might mean you have to beat Leeds and Wigan to get through to the Semis... Still, I suppose its as well to work your way up to the top, as no doubt that would bring you to the Wire in the Semis... Or do you face Huddersfield, if you beat Leeds?

Can anyone tell me when a team from the Elimination Quarter-Finals (5-8 in the League) last won the Play-offs?

SC

This might not be shown live in Thailand, even on satellite...

(times are local)

RLEF AUTUMN EUROPEAN TEST SERIES

Scotland v Ireland - Sunday October 16 - Scotstoun, Glasgow (2pm)

France v Scotland - Saturday October 29 - Gilbert Brutus, Perpignan (3pm)

Ireland v France - Saturday November 5 - Thomond Park, Limerick (8pm)

SC

(times are local)

SC

They won't even be shown locally. Best chance of seeing those games is if someone films them and puts them on youtube.

Speaking of which, there are some clips of the American leagues (they currently have 2 rival comps) and it's pretty decent.

(times are local)

SC

They won't even be shown locally. Best chance of seeing those games is if someone films them and puts them on youtube.

Speaking of which, there are some clips of the American leagues (they currently have 2 rival comps) and it's pretty decent.

I saw the corresponding fixtures on Eurosport, I think, in Dubai, two years ago. Scotland v Lebanon, I recall, was a particularly dismal affair from Anniesland Park, Glasgow, played under floodlights in the afternoon in pouring rain in front of two men and a dog. Mind, maybe I'd take that, and a comfortable win, over yesterday's sad and frustrating performance. Anyway, there's always next weekend to look forward to. Warrington will be back in action for the play-off semi-finals...

SC

In a thrilling back and forth Semi-Final at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, a last-minute Kevin Sinfeld penalty was all that separated Leeds from a heartbroken Warrington side.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/9600792.stm

So for the Wire, the season is over.

It reads like a thrilling match, but it was too late for me to stay up for.

The other Grand FInalist will be chosen from Wigan and St Helens this evening

I suppose those of us that live near the wireworks still have the Australia New Zealand game to come at the Halliwell JOnes later this month,

SC

In a thrilling back and forth Semi-Final at the Halliwell Jones Stadium, a last-minute Kevin Sinfeld penalty was all that separated Leeds from a heartbroken Warrington side.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/9600792.stm

I suppose those of us that live near the wireworks still have the Australia New Zealand game to come at the Halliwell JOnes later this month,

SC

Dissapointed for Warrington. I hoped they would win it. Hopefully St Helens will win it now.

With Manly beating the Warriors, this has been a disappointing end to the season. Now I just hope Australia can win the 4 nations..

Still gutted about the Aus-NZ game being played up there instead of London. I have a game to see in London the next day or I would have gone up.

http://news.bbc.co.u...gue/9600792.stm

SC

Dissapointed for Warrington. I hoped they would win it. Hopefully St Helens will win it now.

With Manly beating the Warriors, this has been a disappointing end to the season. Now I just hope Australia can win the 4 nations..

Still gutted about the Aus-NZ game being played up there instead of London. I have a game to see in London the next day or I would have gone up.

Its only a couple of hours on the train. The train from Euston comes into Bank Quay, and the Halliwell Jones stadium is about two miles away from there.

I had a look at the railway timetable, and unfortunately (or not) you'd have to stop overnight, but a night out in Warrington would not be the end of the world. The standard of English is quite good there, most people speak some form, and they use the same currency, even on the North side of the Mersey.

It must be St Helens' turn now - they've been on the final every year since 2006, when they last won.

SC

I went to Warrington in about 1985. Visited RAF Burtonwood. Saw the cold room where they kept several years supply of rubber boots for mules despite the army not having used mules since the 50s...

But unfortunately, I don't see it happening this year.. I'll go to the Aus v England game.