Live Rugby League

Told ya!

"He's just held up at the line by FOUR Wigan defenders, and its the last tackle here's the grubber and SAM TOMKINS IS ... no he isn't"

"Wigan have had so few chances in this match and yet they lead by six points to two..."

Some last ditch tackling though...great stuff!

"A great winger's try that you don't see so often in the modern game, and ... can St Helens come back, as Wigan fans chant 'we're going to Wembelee'"

SC

"This is a try Sam Tomkins, and the referee is having a leuk... an eighteen points to teu lead"

Edited by StreetCowboy

Told ya!

"He's just held up at the line by FOUR Wigan defenders, and its the last tackle here's the grubber and SAM TOMKINS IS ... no he isn't"

"Wigan have had so few chances in this match and yet they lead by six points to two..."

"A great winger's try that you don't see so often in the modern game, and ... can St Helens come back, as Wigan fans chant 'we're going to Wembelee'"

SC

A victory for skill and panache! If Helens can come back from this then they deserve it....

Told ya!

SC

Wigan looked shocked by the missed six points....Helens have taken full advantage...can they press on the momentum?

A crazy decision by the Wigan lad...heading over the line himself...unselfish as it may have seemed a kamikaze pass it was...

SAINT'S HAVE SCORED RIGHT IN THE CORNER!!!!

Calm down, Ray, calm down!

"Can he get this conversion ... and he swings it rawnd AND ITS EUVEUR!

...and he watches, inscroootable, laike the Chainese...

18-8 to Wigan

EDIT Spelt inscrootable wrong

"AND SAINTS ARE IN AGAIN IN THE CEURRNERRRR!!!!"

calm down, Ray you'll give yourself a rupture!

"Alan, finish us off...."

18-12 to Wigan and ten minutes to go...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I thought you'd moved from the swings to the roundabouts there....but the kick was missed...rwally Wigan must play a good six here...they look slack now and worried...

I'm still hoping for a home win, but since we're not playing, it does seem unlikely, now

SC

I thought you'd moved from the swings to the roundabouts there....but the kick was missed...rwally Wigan must play a good six here...they look slack now and worried...

I'm still hoping for a home win, but since we're not playing, it does seem unlikely, now

SC

Off topic...but what do you think of our playoff chances?

...Off topic...but what do you think of our playoff chances?

Well, you're in eighth place, which is good enough; you've got KR on your tails

They still have to play St Helens, but you have Wire in the last game of the season, so you might want to start following soccer...

"So that's it; Wigan are on their way to Wembley, and deservedly so, they've beaten arch-rivals St Helens, and before that, Warrington, at this stadium... the better side thanks to that defence"

SC

EDIT: "...And now we're handing you over to Anfield... d'ye want a pie, Alan?"

Edited by StreetCowboy

They still have to play St Helens, but you have Wire in the last game of the season, so you might want to start following soccer...

"So that's it; Wigan are on their way to Wembley, and deservedly so, they've beaten arch-rivals St Helens, and before that, Warrington, at this stadium... the better side thanks to that defence"

SC

Surely no bad blood between us?....might have to see if a trip to the Royal Oak is on the cards....

SC

Surely no bad blood between us?....might have to see if a trip to the Royal Oak is on the cards....

Not yet... but with us a point behind Wigan and you a point ahead of KR...

Still don't know the result of the England Wales A Team game...

We host Ireland A at Scotstoun Stadium next week, but I'll be stuck on the toilet in Mumbai

SC

SC

We host Ireland A at Scotstoun Stadium next week, but I'll be stuck on the toilet in Mumbai

SC

You're lucky....I love Bombay....although rugby may be a leap too far there...the A game I can't find a link for anywhwere...the England site is a joke I'm afraid.

Meanwhile its back to Union for me. Treacherous I know but we did win today after all...

SC

You're lucky....I love Bombay....although rugby may be a leap too far there...the A game I can't find a link for anywhwere...the England site is a joke I'm afraid.

Meanwhile its back to Union for me. Treacherous I know but we did win today after all...

It's not over yet - not for me, anyway; I've got the delayed telecast on Astro to look forward to; with some degree of optimism now!

I'm sure this will be of interest to everyone the length and breadth of Thailand, so perhaps the moderators might choose to copy it to the General forum?

http://www.scotlandrl.com/

India lost to Iran in Bangkok in the HSBC Asian Division Two, so next season we (Thailand) will meet Malaysia, Iran and China; no doubt in China.

Did you see the post about the Pattaya Nines? I can't access that forum anymore, so I don't know when the tournament occurs - October, I think. Would you be heading that way? Its during the RWC in New Zealand, and clashes with the Four Nations, as well.

SC

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry its far from live, but I am sure this news will delight all the Scottish amateur rugby league supporters in Thailand

http://www.scotlandr...econd-spot.html

And Wales win the triple-crown, by the way

SC

EDIT: and in other news:

http://www.rlef.eu.com/other/report?RLE00000270

SCOTLAND UNDER-18 FRIENDLY INTERNATIONAL

Scotland Under-18s pulled off a shock victory over England College at Scotstoun Stadium in Glasgow on Saturday afternoon. Hull KR teenage talent David Scott (pictured), an Easterhouse Panthers product, was the catalyst for Scotland, scoring the opening try and converting it himself, then kicking the winning penalty in the last minute.

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'll be struggling to maintain focus here, with Scotland entertaining Italy at Murrayfield, and hopefully the home fans as well, but the most crucial game of the night is surely Warrington at Stade Giles Brutus in Perpignan, Catalonia, chasing Wigan for the Superleague.

"... and the first try of the evening goes to the home side, over the top of two Warrington defenders" oh dear...

A loss here and we are out of the chase, barring miracles

SC

Chris Bridge charges down, runs the length... and Warrington have picked their pockets... he had to run the best part of seventy metres ... and Chris Bridge can level it up... An excellent game this, really competitive... Catalan Dragons six, Warrington six.

And Catalans have scored to take a 12-6 lead into half-time

BUT

At Murrayfield, Scotland have quite remarkably scored two tries in the same game to lead Italy 20-12

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Well, we're certainly missing Ray French. The commentators are talking about the weather, and the shade on the pitch, and fans fanning themselves...

"Oh dear... helter skelter play, great defending by Warrington"

(sorry, I missed the last try en route to the fridge, but its 12-all)

"and everyone can take a breather"

"a small one..,"

"and this is one of the best contests I've seen this season"

SC

Edit: "this heat's getting to them, and the intensity of the game's getting to them"

and Full Time in the other code, Scotland 23 12 Italy, and France win 22-26 in Ireland and at the other end of the world, South Africa have held the All Blacks out to win 18-5

But "... there's so much at stake in this game Warrington need to win to close in on Wigan, and Catelans need to win to get a top four finish" - I can't believe you chaps are not all glued to your wirelesses

SC

Edit: I suppose that;s why no-one else is posting...

Edit" ... and he looks like he's been held up, andf Thierry Alibert has not given one yet this match and its a play the ball on the 10 metres and its a drop goal he's kicked" and I've forgotten how many "but that's not another"

"and this game is on a knife edge, 12 points each and Catalan Dragons have shown their hand by going for the drop goal...

Both sides have slugged each other to a stand still

.. He's over the line, did he lose it? Ryan Atkins thinks he's got it ...

".. That's a try - I think that's a try"

"... his momentum pulled him forward... and Ian Smith will tell Thierry Alibert if Warrington will take the lead for the first time this evening and Ian Smith says "TRY!""

SC

"Oh - and is it too far for a drop goal?"

"Not for Lee Briers and Oh ... Oh... Has he got it?"

"And Thiery Alibert says he has!"

"And Lee Briers has plucked it out of the air... someone tried to chase him down and Lee Briers has ended the jinx at this stadium"

"Worry Worry Warrington!" why so negative ? You can be confident at Catelans 12, Warrington 25, surely?

"and the Warrington fans have silenced the home crowd and people are leaving early"

"Well, it is near the end..."

"I make it we've got two minutes to go and Catalans are 15 metres out..."

"Warrington just one point away from a thousand"

"and the referee blows for full time and the Warrington fans have seen their team win here for the first time"

"Tierry Alibert getting l'oiseau from his fellow countrymen"

So its all down to Sunday 4 September at the Halliwell Jones against Wigan - for those of you who've been away for a while, the Halliwell Jones is just up from the Lord Rodney, on the site of the old Tetley Walker brewery

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Thanks for that, but I don't really follow the NRL that closely. If its QR they're playing, I might watch it if its on.

SC

EDIT: just read your introductory line - as I recall, NZ are the world cup holders, are they not?

But there's more to NZ than just league...

corrupting the union thread!!

Yes - NZ beat Australia 34-20 in Australia to win in 2008.

The Warriors are the only NZ-based NRL team, but as with other teams are a mix of nationalities, far more NZers playing in other Oz-based sides.

They've only made one Grand Final (lost) and last year placed 5th in the comp.

AstroSupersport covers many of the games.

(My Bold: SC)

You started it!

SC

So we've had a great day of rugby on TV already today -

Bayonne pull off a win at home against Top XIV champions Toulouse, who are missing a whole bunch of internationals

Canterbury Bulldogs fought back from 22-6 down to beat the Newcastle Knights 32-22 and at Suncorp Stadium over 51,000 fans watched Australia lift the Tri-Nations with a hard-fought 25-20 win against the All Blacks but now...

we've been waiting all season

it is ...

exactly ...

the Challenge Cup Final!

Leeds, runners-up in their last four Wembley appearances, are back for a second consecutive year

Wigan are top of the league, and got to Wembley with wins over their arch-rivals and neighbours Warrington and St Helens

SC

Not a full house at Wembley - people are complaining about the cost, compared to a couple of crates of beer in front of the BBC; and to be fair, I haven't gone... The Royal Oak is still doing their Kilkenny promotion so I am settled ...

The local bairns are settled in front of the English club soccer - my apologies - its German tonight, Kaiserslautern v Bayern Munich; they're not paying much attention anyway... and the strains of "Abide with me" ring round the headphones, the teams are waiting to come out at Wembley...

Wire are conspicuous by their absence, after two successive victories, Warrington Wizards did not get past the fourth round, Carluke Tigers fell in the first and the Edinburgh Eagles - didnae qualify (sung)

And here they come the fireworks go up and Leeds Rhinos and Wigan Warriors walking along the red carpet...

Edited by StreetCowboy

And we are underway... these two sides have met 26 times in the Challenge Cup, 13 wins to Wigan, 12 to Leeds and one draw... can Leeds bring the Challenge CUp back to West Yorkshire" - a Yorkshire team has never won at the new Wembley Stadium

EDIT: Call me ungrateful but Radio Merseyside are not covering the game, so I'm stuck with Radio Leeds... Radio Manchester has bloody cricket, and traffic and all knows God-what nonsense... Where's Ray French when you need him?

"Leeds have made a much stronger, more purposeful start this time" (in 2010, they fell 30-6 to Wigan's close neighbours Warrington...)

"Wigan might go in at the corner and yes, they do, Josh Charnley is over"

"O'Loughlin gets it away to Tomkins and oh - its a try-saving tackle from Leeds... danger down this left hand side, goodness me another set of six for the Warriors, Leeds defending on their own line can they hold out... good defence by the rhinos, they've poushed them back to the 20..."

"Richards goes in in the corner and has he got it? No, he hasn't... if Leeds can take anything from the first 20 minutes its that they're just 4 points down"

"Second try just to the left of the posts... and that looks too easy... poor decision by the Leeds defence"

Its lucky that my mate KW survived to see this, or he'd be turning in his grave...

"And Leeds have it all to do in this Challenge Cup Final...

We was on about what Leeds had to do, and they're just doing the exact opposite"

"There could be space for Joel Tomkins... and this is too easy.. and Wigan lead 14-0... its happening again to Leeds 12 months on... you can build up the game as much as you want, but... Brian Tomkins talked about climbing Everest but they do have a mountain to climb"

To be fair, Wigan has had the harder road to Wembley, beating Warrington (2nd in the league) and St Helens (3rd) in the Quarter and Semi Finals. "Huge problems for Leeds Rhinos as they trail by 16 points to nil in the first half..."

Edited by StreetCowboy

"And Leeds are in finally, as the rain starts, so do Leeds and that is Ryan Hall's one hundredth Leeds Try!"

"Can he get the ball down YES HE CAN and two tries in two minutes "

"Its a different team"

16-10!

"As soon as the sun went in, Leeds came out"

Edited by StreetCowboy

Decent game so far all to play for!

I was thinking "Oh God, this is dreadful, maybe I'll just leave my computer in the pub here and go into town for a skinful"

It is a thirsty sort of game, though....

"and now its just eased off - dramatically reallly"

I wish I could type in a thick-sounding Yorkshire accent

"What was he doin' there ..they joost look a bit laizi thur"

"they 'aven' coom ouwt with any fiah"

That was Wigan that was, theones with Fiah - Martin Offiah but that was a long time ago,,,

"And can Leeds get the opening score of the second half ... and McGuire for a moment it seemed that the line had opened up for him but..."

SC

78,000+ attendance - less than last year, more than the year previous - are Wigan less of a draw than the Wire?

It would be a joy to see Leeds triumphant

Edited by StreetCowboy

They're redecorating the Royal Oak and there's signs saying "wet paint" but I restrained myself till I got to the urinals

Carl Ablett can he get it down? and the referee wants to go to the video referee... and Leeds are back to within two and Leeds are turning this arownd byootifulleh?"

"Listen to the Leeds crowd now"

and a dubious try from a suspected forward pass sees Wigan extend their lead

"14 1/2 to go 22-14 to Wigan"

SC

EDIT: "And Ryan Hall might just have scored his second try ... IT IS A TRY... and now we're back in the game.. and Kevin Sinfield misses again... 22-18... its been all Leeds and they've come back from 16-0 down, there's just a score between these two teams...

He's kicked for the line ... Oh No... his dream almost came true ... he's sucked in Sam Tomkins (not literally) and three or four players on his outside..."

Oh, and they're going to score - they have scored"

and we're still waiting for the decision here, and this is not as clearcut as Thomas Luelai might think...

grudgingly "I think that is a try"

"its an awful awful finish for Leeds..."

"28-18 and that's a scoreline that doesn't tell the whole story of this game"

And Wigan, league leaders, lift the Challenge Cup for the first time since 2002...

Deserved winners but Leeds, never-deserved-losers, "and that is tough to take, isn't it?"

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

It was tough SC...and on me as well as I was stuck in the kitchen preparing supper so mostly had to listen to the TV on max volume.

From what I gathered it was a fair result although Leeds fans will no doubt feel differently.

Good luck next week against the new cup winners!