Security Guards In Thailand

midas

Does anyone think the security industry in Thailand is a bit " overdone " ?

If buddhism is supposed to breed such good feelings in people, why are so many

security guards needed in so many places ? In supermarkets every second

person must be a potential shoplifter and every visitor to a condomium block a

potential robber - the way the guards act some places.

Take my own building for example where there is a prefectly good electronic

key card system - and yet we still have a private army of guards ??!

I dont think I have ever seen such a high concentration of security

personnel as one does in Thailand....... Is is just " jobs for the boys " ?

Does anyone think the security industry in Thailand is a bit " overdone " ?

If buddhism is supposed to breed such good feelings in people, why are so many

security guards needed in so many places ? In supermarkets every second

person must be a potential shoplifter and every visitor to a condomium block a

potential robber - the way the guards act some places.

Take my own building for example where there is a prefectly good electronic

key card system - and yet we still have a private army of guards ??!

I dont think I have ever seen such a high concentration of security

personnel as one does in Thailand....... Is is just " jobs for the boys " ?

think it's just to add some class to a development , the more security , the higher up.. and the guards are bloody cheap :o, they mostly second as gardners spraying water in the morning as well.

import criminals from america!

2 million Americans are currently behind bars, with some 4.5 million on parole or on probation. Another 3 million Americans are ex-convicts who have served their sentences and are no longer under the control of the justice system. Over 500,000 Americans are hardcore gang members.13 million Americans—7% of the adult population and nearly 12% of the men—have been found guilty of a serious crime.

born a third world penal colony and back to a third world penal colony!

Is your avatar name short for gobbledygook?

It's not just security guards that are OVERemployed. What's the deal at gas stations? In the U.S., the average number of employees on duty at a gas station is probably about 1.5, while in Thailand it seems like no fewer than 15 on duty employees are required :D Those gas pumps are really complicated. People would never be able to operate them on their own, now would they?!? :o

And why does every bus employ an additional person to collect money? Did it ever occur to 'em that people could possibly pay the driver upon boarding? :D

import criminals from america!

2 million Americans are currently behind bars, with some 4.5 million on parole or on probation. Another 3 million Americans are ex-convicts who have served their sentences and are no longer under the control of the justice system. Over 500,000 Americans are hardcore gang members.13 million Americans—7% of the adult population and nearly 12% of the men—have been found guilty of a serious crime.

born a third world penal colony and back to a third world penal colony!

Is your avatar name short for gobbledygook?

555!!

:o:D:D

It's not just security guards that are OVERemployed.  What's the deal at gas stations? In the U.S., the average number of employees on duty at a gas station is probably about 1.5, while in Thailand it seems like no fewer than 15 on duty employees are required  :D  Those gas pumps are really complicated. People would never be able to operate them on their own, now would they?!? :o

And why does every bus employ an additional person to collect money? Did it ever occur to 'em that people could possibly pay the driver upon boarding? :D

Jeez! You whipcracker! You expect the poor old bus driver to drive AND collect money?!

Where would Thailand be if us farang ran it ay?! :D :D

It's purely a question of economics, although I do enjoy the amusing theories. Wherever you find a disparity in cost, in this case, labor costs, you can always hire more for less. BTW, this is true in any country, not just LOS. Be it additional guards, waiters, gas attendants, and so forth.

I get equally annoyed by the guards and their whistles but have learn to accept their "help" in directing me to park. Just salute and smile and you'll be fine. Someday the cost of living in LOS will approach the standards that you're all use to and then you'll be asking where all the guards have gone!

only an american would call thais gooks!!!

racist prejudiced slave lynching indian killing bloody yanks!!

I apologize that my sperm donor's sperm donor's sperm donor's sperm donor's sperm donor's sperm donor may possibly have killied a Native American. I guess your bloodline is completely blameless of any attrocities going back 1,000s of generations. :o

It's not just security guards that are OVERemployed.  What's the deal at gas stations? In the U.S., the average number of employees on duty at a gas station is probably about 1.5, while in Thailand it seems like no fewer than 15 on duty employees are required  :D  Those gas pumps are really complicated. People would never be able to operate them on their own, now would they?!? :o

Jeez! You whipcracker! You expect the poor old bus driver to drive AND collect money?!

Where would Thailand be if us farang ran it ay?! :D :D

On the buses, I am actually in favour of having a conductor. - can you imagine the wait of getting everyone as they get onto a bus having to find the correct change.

(It's one of the reasons buses are so awful as an alternative method of transport in most other countries - because they spend so long at each bus stop while the driver makes change).

Admittedly, they are a bit OTT at the petrol stations, but since all stations sell petrol and diesel for the same fixed price, the first station that makes you pump the petrol yourself is going to lose a lot of business.

Theres a lot of security about these days......so we need lots of guards.

Give em a break.......think about the positives and spare a thought for the poor guys who sit alone all night in some godforesaken place guarding what many of us would think pointless to guard. How short must this job make their lives ??

Sure beats the Philippines. Guards have guns there. Outside one of the major banks in Makati (Citibank?) I used to count 7 guards with shotguns outside at night.

I'll second that. Never forget going into a Manila burger joint and the guard saying "Enjoy your meal, sir" - as he held the door open with one hand and toted a pump-action 12-gauge in the other...............

The security guards in our moobaan are quite good. There used to be this one guard right near the entrance who blew his whistle constantly...haven't seen him around for a while. I guess the neighbors got tired of his noise. The guards who work out of a small guardbox and patrol a bit at night are decent guys. They'll help you get rid of a snake in your garden if need be. The wages for labor are low here, so the little bit that we all contribute towards their salaries is worth it I think. Must be a boring job though as a lot of them just sit around and chat/smoke all day.

Why complain - it's still cheap here & it keeps those people in a job.

In the west - gas stations are self-service. Cheaper for the employer but not so good for the local economy.

I say the more people employed the better.

I say the more people employed the better.

As long as they do their jobs. What upsets me is when you go into a store with one person working the register and five others just standing around talking and none of them seem to notice the line of 10 people behind the open register. On top of that, it never occurs to them to open a second or third register to speed things along. If you're a service worker here, you have the advantage of getting paid since the workplace will keep you around even if you and your coworkers have no work to do whereas in the the US, they'll just send you home to save overhead. With labor being cheap here and the service industry paying MUCH less than in the West, it's probably not too big of a loss for the companies to keep these extra employees around.