Brits Face Higher Passport Renewal Price

alant

limited usage means what then mate? only between certain states in the USA?

Oh dear ... :)

They took down the border checkpoints between the states along time ago, we "ugly American sterotypes" can now travel freely throughout the entire country.

Just a thought (stems from the hotel card topic in the travel forum), why can't they issue an e-passport in the form of a card that one could swipe at immigration and proceed.

All the neccessary visas etc etc could be handled electronically and no need to print the things, no need for stamps, no need for frowns at the counter and surely could be handled alot more efficiently.

Much like say the BTS card that you can top up, if you want a visa to China you just go to the embassy as usual, pay up, get your e-passport topped-up and when you arrive, one swipe and you are through.

No doubt the naysayers (those who would lose out) and traditionalists would point to security issues to make it seems non-feasible, but surely (don't call me shirley) it's time for the Passport world to come out of the 18th century into the 21st.

Yes, many a thousand bureacrats would need retraining but...

Electronic visas have been in existance since the 1990s.

However, an entry stamp, to indicate when it was validated, has to be placed in the passport because most travellers are generally too stupid to know when they arrived and when they become illegal. The problems are not with the bureacrats but Joe Blow traveller who probably shouldn't be let loose on the world.

Most passports these days are machine readable and when combined with an electronic visa (for countries that have them) a simple swipe of the details page is sufficient to record the pax' details, the movement and link the visa.

Nice go at re-inventing the wheel.

Just a thought (stems from the hotel card topic in the travel forum), why can't they issue an e-passport in the form of a card that one could swipe at immigration and proceed.

All the neccessary visas etc etc could be handled electronically and no need to print the things, no need for stamps, no need for frowns at the counter and surely could be handled alot more efficiently.

Much like say the BTS card that you can top up, if you want a visa to China you just go to the embassy as usual, pay up, get your e-passport topped-up and when you arrive, one swipe and you are through.

No doubt the naysayers (those who would lose out) and traditionalists would point to security issues to make it seems non-feasible, but surely (don't call me shirley) it's time for the Passport world to come out of the 18th century into the 21st.

However, an entry stamp, to indicate when it was validated, has to be placed in the passport because most travellers are generally too stupid to know when they arrived and when they become illegal. The problems are not with the bureacrats but Joe Blow traveller who probably shouldn't be let loose on the world.

Most passports these days are machine readable and when combined with an electronic visa (for countries that have them) a simple swipe of the details page is sufficient to record the pax' details, the movement and link the visa.

Nice go at re-inventing the wheel.

I think the idea could be a ground breaker. No more paper passport. Ideal. No more waiting lines at airport. Just " bleep bleep "

Yes but non useable and not efficient system at all. It was even earlier than the 90's actually.

most travellers are generally too stupid to know when they arrived and when they become illegal. The problems are not with the bureacrats but Joe Blow traveller who probably shouldn't be let loose on the world.

As of May, 2009 more than a million passport cards have been issued to Americans. They seem to work, albeit in a limited capacity (land and sea borders in N America / Carib).

Perhaps those travellers are simply more sophisticated than Joe B. :)

Good, if that would stop there. But next step after that is a build in GPS sytem together with a full blown data record about all personal infos. Step after that will be an itsipitsitinymini implanted chip after birth....

Brits will be lucky to get their passports renewed.

I tried to renew my second passport whilst I am in the UK.

A letter from my company to justify a second passport was requested and provided.

The renewal was rejected because my company stated that I live overseas............. :)

The passport was returned, but NOT the fee. :D

I have written complaining and raised the matter with my MP.

Very surprised to hear that. Sounds like a clerical error by incompetent staff.

I have had no problems with 2nd and 3rd passports at the British embassy in BKK, expensive but efficient (10 days).

A letter from my company to justify a second passport was requested and provided.

The renewal was rejected because my company stated that I live overseas............. :)

Very surprised to hear that. Sounds like a clerical error by incompetent staff.

I have had no problems with 2nd and 3rd passports at the British embassy in BKK, expensive but efficient (10 days).

I can't quite get to grips with that one Astral. I have not lived in the UK for over 40 years, and had 2 renewals in Bangkok in the last 20 years and due for another very soon.

Yes but non useable and not efficient system at all.

Rubbish. Works very efficiently and is in daily use.

As an example: if you're British, American or a citizen of another 30 or 40 countries considered of low risk, you can obtain an electronic visa from a travel agent to visit Australia for three months. It can also be done on line, or even at checkin, and the system works with few problems. The only time you need to approach a consulate or embassy is if your name is on a warning list.

Edited by Old Croc

As of May, 2009 more than a million passport cards have been issued to Americans. They seem to work, albeit in a limited capacity (land and sea borders in N America / Carib).

Well, I think we can all agree that limiting the travels of Americans to places closer to their land and sea borders is a good idea. :)

Oh, and while I am here posting responses to your totally off-topic ramblings I'll take the time to point out that as a good, patriotic American you do realise that your avatar is a violation of the flag code? Specifically this little gem:

The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery"

And this choice item is delicious reading wrt the 'buy American' campaigns:

The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use...

You guys are hilarious..

You can only apply for a passport in the country where you reside as you have found out.

You can only apply for a passport in the country where you reside as you have found out.

I think Astral was on about his 2nd UK passport (that it having 2 Uk passports on the go at the same time - yes it is possible).

To ukrules, you certainly don't have to be in the country where you reside to renew a passport. Just go to the nearest Embassy, wherever you are.

Not true,

I use up the pages in jumbo UK passports in about 4 to 5 years.

I have not renewed in UK since I don't remember when.

Last 3 renewals were Singapore, Dubai, Singapore.

"Place of issue" shows "FCO"

J.