Can I Get A Sim Card Without Buying A Phone In Bangkok?

Razzler1973

Wasn't sure if should put this here or 'Travel' but you're lumbered with it!

On my way to Thailand for a few weeks next week, have an old mobile handset that I use when I go back to the UK, it's just a 'pay-as-you-go' type thing.

Are there similar type deals in Thailand? Wouldn't mind taking my handset and slotting a Thai SIM in there for while I am over. Possible? Any idea of cost or where I can pick up a SIM?

Cheers :)

Televis or any dtac shop plus 7-11 99baht for sim card with a little bit of credit to get you going, never had to show any id when purchasing here in Pattaya, Bangkok may be different, works on my UK (O2) phone fine.

Sim Cards are very easy to buy here in Thailand. I had my Telephone unlocked in the UK some years back, prior to moving to Thailand, and when i got here, I put the Thai Sim card in, and it still did not work, I had to take it to be converted so it would work.

That sounds ominous, where did you take it.

Mine had none of this unlocking malarky, just brought the handset and SIM for 15 quid (incl. 10 quid credit). Just to use when I am back. Don't want to lose my 'real' phone but a number might be handy

No problem whatever, choose your pre-pay provider, enter one of their shops, buy SIM :) You may need your passport.

IIRC many 7-Eleven stores have them too :D

Yes, any 7/11 and quite a lot of generic telephone shops will sell a pay and go type sim very cheaply (from about 55 baht - for one that lasts a month - and more for ones that won't expire if you forget to top up for a couple of months). You then buy scratch cards to top up from the same locations (say 100 or 500 baht). You have to choose provider, which probably comes down to AIS and DTAC. AIS has better coverage in the area where I stay, but both will work in the major cities. For use in Thailand, your UK handset must be 'unlocked' from the original provider. As far as I know the only UK telephone company that may not have locked the phone to begin with is 02. If the phone isn't already unlocked, it is probably cheaper to get this done in Thailand. Go to MBK centre (a big shopping centre) in central Bangkok and they will do it while you wait. You could get your sim at the same time if you do need the phone unlocked. Most smaller shops scattered around also offer an unlocking service but last time I had one done in my own town I had to leave the phone for 2 days and this cost 400 baht - which I thought was a bit dear for Thailand. I've used at least three UK phones with Thai sims so this definitely works.

P.S. Conversion was something that used to have to be done when Thailand had a system which tried to stop use on non-Thai handsets, but this was then discontinued. If in doubt about whether the phone is unlocked borrow somebody else's sim from a different provider an dmake a test call.

Edited by citizen33

I thought that whole locking thing was when you were involved in an annual contract with the provider in the UK? I have only had this one UK phone so don't even know what this unlocking is all about, sounds like it's when you put a different SIM card in them? Wondering if I can do something about that over the phone before I leave here. I don't really need it for the amount of local calls I will make but it could be a little useful. If it'll be a pain then I'll leave it here and get phone cards :/

At MBK in BKK there is a floor where their are hundreds of places that sell Cell phones , and Sim cards, if you buy your Sim card there they will look at your phone and make sure the sim card works in Thailand.

I thought that whole locking thing was when you were involved in an annual contract with the provider in the UK? I have only had this one UK phone so don't even know what this unlocking is all about, sounds like it's when you put a different SIM card in them? Wondering if I can do something about that over the phone before I leave here. I don't really need it for the amount of local calls I will make but it could be a little useful. If it'll be a pain then I'll leave it here and get phone cards :/

No unlocking also applies to Pay and Go. As I said O2 don't usually lock theirs though. Tesco will unlock theirs free (joint venture with 02) if you have spent £20 in top-ups. Others will charge. A typical highstreet telephone shop (i.e. independent) will want between about £15 and £30 to unlock a phone depending on type - so you save a small amount by getting this done in Thailand and they would also stick in the sim and enter the first credit from a scratch card if you want to do this.

Edited by citizen33

As noted above, try a 'foreign' SIM in your phone, if you get an 'invalid SIM' message (or something similar) the phone will need to be unlocked.

You CAN get phones unlocked in the UK (it used to be illegal, not sure about now), but it's bound to be far cheaper in Thailand. It really is a non-issue so many places can do it for a nominal fee :)

EDIT Thanks for the up to date info citizen33, I've been away from the UK for far too long.

At MBK in BKK there is a floor where their are hundreds of places that sell Cell phones , and Sim cards, if you buy your Sim card there they will look at your phone and make sure the sim card works in Thailand.

I know MBK, probably try that.

Cheers for the help, all :)

Try to get a DTAC Happy Sim Card.

Mine cost me 199 Baht, in Tukcom in Pattaya, and it had some credit on

You must ask for the 'Happy' sim card, NOT the normal DTAC sim card, as this 'Happy' sim will last for a full 12 months.

If you go home, and come back 10-11 months later, you will still have your number and its credits.

If you then 'top up' your 'Happy' card, you will extend the expiry date by a full 12 months again.

I spend 6 months in Thailand, and 6 months in the UK, and have had the same number, for 3 years.

You can also just buy a used phone for as little as 600 baht in some places.  That might be easier than unlocking your old phone, or if you old phone is not 900 or 1800.  If you are at MBK, you can easily check if your UK phone needs to be unlocked or if it will even work here.  If it does, then you can decide to unlock it or just get a cheapy Thai phone.

Try to get a DTAC Happy Sim Card.

Mine cost me 199 Baht, in Tukcom in Pattaya, and it had some credit on

You must ask for the 'Happy' sim card, NOT the normal DTAC sim card, as this 'Happy' sim will last for a full 12 months.

If you go home, and come back 10-11 months later, you will still have your number and its credits.

If you then 'top up' your 'Happy' card, you will extend the expiry date by a full 12 months again.

I spend 6 months in Thailand, and 6 months in the UK, and have had the same number, for 3 years.

There are many different "Happy plans", and I believe the only one that gives another 12 months validity period to your balance when you top up is the "Happy simple" plan. Normally the validity period depends on the amount you add.

Sophon

If you bought your phone from Orange as a PAYG phone you should give them a call before you go as it may be locked. Orange are the worst network for locking and branding all their phones.

You can go on-line to get the unlocking codes for free.

I have been succesful once and failed once.

If you do try, don't keep on trying more than 4 or 5 times.Your phone will permanently lock up.

You will have to download the software (about 2 mins).U tube will also show it I think.

Good luck