Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

3. 174

Why do retirees marry in Thailand ?

4. 73

Foreign Tour Operators Flood Phuket, Taking Jobs from Locals

5. 2

Afghan Man charged with Election day terror plot

6. 1

Double-Ten Retailer Promotions: 10-10 is a Chinese Holiday. So, why is this big DEAL here?

7. 0

93-Year-Old Woman Crawls into Sakae Krang River & is Missing While Daughter Sleeps

8. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

9. 25

Pattaya Police Raid Poker Gambling Ring, Arrest 9 Foreign Players

10. 2

Former Aussie cop’s epic run across Thailand for tsunami victims

11. 7

Thailand triumphs in UN Human Rights council bid

12. 2

Donald Trump’s New Tax Promise: Eliminating Income Taxes for Americans Abroad

Kawasaki "value" Reconsidered

I'm a newbie here. I was reading the Kawaski ER-6f topic until it turned into an ABS topic. (BTW I liked the ABS on my BMW R1100R but my 28,000 miles riding in the USA, Italy and Albania were uneventful - meaning no thrills requiring special application of the brakes - so I have little to add about ABS.)

Here is what I would like to hear about. I read on this forum that the bigger Kawasakis were a super value here if you bought the ones that are made in Thailand in their Rayong factory - no tariffs, low shipping cost, etc. But I was very surprised when I did some comparison shopping. Needless to say I want to brag to the guys back home about the great price I paid - right?! First the dealer on Rama IV gave me a price sheet two weeks ago implying firm pricing. Okay. The ER-6n is priced at 225,000 B and the 250 Ninja R is priced at 144,900 B. Based on a 33/1 exchange rate, which seemed about right at the time, that would be about $6,818 and $4,378 US respectively. Next I got on the internet. My dealer in Virginia listed prices for both models on their website (www dot wherethepoweris dot com - go to motorcycles and then to Kawasaki) and, SURPRISE!, the same Kawasaki models bought in Virginia would cost only $6,399 and $3,999 respectively or $419 and $380 less than here in Thailand. That is a 6% and 8% savings and $400 can go a long way to pay for accessories, gas, and beer. I have reconsidered what a "good deal" means if I buy a Kawasaki that is made two hours drive away as opposed to one that took many trucks and boats to get to Virginia. What's the deal?

Can someone explain this?

A relative Newbie here also, but I guess the pricing is relative to what currencies are doing and what the profit margin is on each model. In Canadian dollars, and current rates via XE; my D-Tracker is $1200 cheaper here (then the KLX250SF, but same, same - I checked last week), the ER6n is $300 cheaper, and the Ninja 250 is $100 more.

So, strong yankee buck right now......

You also have to consider the fact that Kawasaki is the first firm to make big bikes 'affordable' here. The prices of imported models from Yamaha, BMW and Ducati are insane. I'd rather have a BMW 650 than my ER6n however at 600,000 THB versus 225,000 THB there was only one choice.

So basically Kawasaki represents dam_n good value if you compare it to the competition in Thailand.

Yes, the pricing is done for "local market " prices, the same reason a honda cbr150 is $1500 approx in thailand and $3400 in the uk,( actually its a cbr125, but basically the same bike, and its made in thailand ) the reason, its what people will pay and compares to the competition,.in thailand presently there is none,for +250cc bikes,.the usa has always been cheaper for most things,the thais have plenty of money right now, check out the harley buyers in thailand 90 per cent thai ,.pricing is for them, not farang, they cringe when we walk in the shop as they know we geneally pay less at home and want a discount, the thais walk in and say "where do i sign " :)

They beat me to it; but the 'affordable' is not compared to the prices we Americans pay back home, but rather compared to local market. You should hear how choked some Europeans get when they find out the prices of a lot of stuff in the States!

But back on topic. Here, a street vendor may sell you a bowl of noodles for 75 THB. Great value if you compare it to what you'd pay for street food in the States but an absolute rip off for Thailand.

This is the guy who started this thread: Those are all great comments and it does help me understand this market. When I hear how much Thai people here are paid - teachers for example - I wonder where the people work who are able to walk into the Harley dealer without a second thoughts about the wisdom of the use of their money. But someone is shopping at Siam Paragon and they aren't all tourists from Japan. The 250cc Tiger Boxer RS for less tthan $2,250 is looking pretty interesting right now. But I am just another poor retired American struggling along on my 105,000 Baht a month pension. What do I know about prices?!

I for one am overjoyed that Kawasaki has turned the Thai motorcycle on it's head. Big bikes in Thailand have always been considered as "luxury goods" and have been over-priced accordingly.

A year ago the 'cheapest' 600cc bike you could buy in this country was the Yamaha FZ6 which last year sold for 'only' 420,000 Baht. (For 2009 the price of the FZ6 has gone up to 480K Baht!) :)

Then Kawasaki came along and stunned everyone by destroying the status quo when they released the ER6n for only 225,000 Baht.

Bravo! The first big bike in Thailand at an affordable price.

Personally I've always been a Honda fan, but if I want to get my paws on a new CBR 600 or VFR 800 I'd be looking at spending upwards of 600,000 Baht in Thailand to import one and get it registered. Need parts? Have to order from Japan. Ask my friends who like to crash their Yamahas how much fun THAT can be! :D Thanks but no thanks- I'm now a happy Kawasaki customer and will remain so until other manufacturers can compete with Team Green on price. I don't imagine this will happen any time soon since no other big bike manufacturers (with the exception of Triumph) produce big bikes in Thailand.

You grumble that the ER6n is a few hundred dollars more expensive in Thailand than in the US, but have you looked at any other options?

Ducati, Triumph, Yamaha , HD and BMW are all at least double the US price here in Thailand. Suzuki and Honda don't even have big bike dealers in Thailand. (yet)

Let the Good Times Roll!

JulySSRMekong.jpg

Edited by BigBikeBKK

My Ninja was 139,990 baht. That's about 2500 pounds at todays rates. List price in the UK is 3899 so to me it seems good value. Compared to the US market I guess it's less competitive but if you start comparing an R1/R6 or a Harley in Thailand to the US price then you'll start to see why people are so impressed with what Kawasaki have done with the Ninja 250R and the ER6n/f.

I'm a newbie here. I was reading the Kawaski ER-6f topic until it turned into an ABS topic. (BTW I liked the ABS on my BMW R1100R but my 28,000 miles riding in the USA, Italy and Albania were uneventful - meaning no thrills requiring special application of the brakes - so I have little to add about ABS.)

Here is what I would like to hear about. I read on this forum that the bigger Kawasakis were a super value here if you bought the ones that are made in Thailand in their Rayong factory - no tariffs, low shipping cost, etc. But I was very surprised when I did some comparison shopping. Needless to say I want to brag to the guys back home about the great price I paid - right?! First the dealer on Rama IV gave me a price sheet two weeks ago implying firm pricing. Okay. The ER-6n is priced at 225,000 B and the 250 Ninja R is priced at 144,900 B. Based on a 33/1 exchange rate, which seemed about right at the time, that would be about $6,818 and $4,378 US respectively. Next I got on the internet. My dealer in Virginia listed prices for both models on their website (www dot wherethepoweris dot com - go to motorcycles and then to Kawasaki) and, SURPRISE!, the same Kawasaki models bought in Virginia would cost only $6,399 and $3,999 respectively or $419 and $380 less than here in Thailand. That is a 6% and 8% savings and $400 can go a long way to pay for accessories, gas, and beer. I have reconsidered what a "good deal" means if I buy a Kawasaki that is made two hours drive away as opposed to one that took many trucks and boats to get to Virginia. What's the deal?

Can someone explain this?

The good deal is the next cheapest legit bike is the FZ6 at 447k (has it gone to 480k yet ??) they basically came and introduced a bike 50% of the price of the competition.

Go price up any other legal big bike, and then price it back home.. 400 bucks will be the last of your worries. Usually its 200% or so..

Again, from the guy who started this threat: I am properly chastized. My friened back "home" won't be impressed by my good price but I know now that I should be very happy.

Nevertheless, does anyone here have anything to say about the 250cc Tiger Boxer. Someone who reeks authoritative opinions said the Tiger company went bankrupt and was bought by Honda. True? Or not true? If true, is that good news or bad? Does anybody have an opinion about Tiger as something both modest in price as well as reasonable freeway-adequate transportation? That is my next threat for another day.

Otherwise thanks to all for helping me understand the great value offered by Kawie.

Also OP. you forgot to add the very high 'on the road' add on prices in the US, add about 400-800 bucks to those prices (figures taken from real people on Kawi forum). also the Ninja 250 is FI here but carb in the US. Tiger being brought by Honda is complete <deleted> . There is a Tiger thread on here go look, you dont need to start your own.

Allan

Also OP. you forgot to add the very high 'on the road' add on prices in the US, add about 400-800 bucks to those prices (figures taken from real people on Kawi forum). also the Ninja 250 is FI here but carb in the US. Tiger being brought by Honda is complete <deleted> . There is a Tiger thread on here go look, you dont need to start your own.

Allan

What is "on the road" add on prices? Sorry but I bought my 650 Suzuki from that dealer and the price is the price - no surprised and certainly not of the amount mentioned. If you buy an accessory you might be surprised at the high price, but that's about all. Registation and licence plate are separate just as it is on the Kawie price sheet here.

I will inquire about the Ninja 250 regarding FI vs carb but I believe it is the same both places. Maybe I will report back later.

I have read about the Tiger 250 on this forum and I like what I read. It might not be appropriate for the Iron Butt ride like my Bimmer was - Washington to Columbia Missouri in one day - but it might get me to Pattay once in awhile and also around town.

The forum did not address any of the rumors that my very authoritative co-worker raised. It also offers no company history to provide some assurance that I am not buying from a here-today-gone tomorrow, garage operation. That's what I might use this site to probe for. The previous writer said that Honda did not buy Tiger - fine - but no one said they weren't bankrupt recently and/or are stable now.

And, while I'm at it, what the hel_l does Bollacks mean? It does sound hostile.

I hope hostility doesn't linger among those with lots of experience with this forum but, for me, I now DO understand why Kawie is a great deal for us all and I will ask your respect for my initial misunderstanding of the local market factors. Okay?

I will inquire about the Ninja 250 regarding FI vs carb but I believe it is the same both places. Maybe I will report back later.

The forum did not address any of the rumors that my very authoritative co-worker raised. It also offers no company history to provide some assurance that I am not buying from a here-today-gone tomorrow, garage operation. That's what I might use this site to probe for. The previous writer said that Honda did not buy Tiger - fine - but no one said they weren't bankrupt recently and/or are stable now.

Allan is correct- the Ninja 250R sold in the US is carbureted, while the Ninja 250R sold in Thailand is Fuel Injected.

I've not heard anything about Tiger being bankrupt. Perhaps you very authoritative co-worker can provide some evidence to support his claim?

Happy Trails!

I am more than happy about the price for my ZX-10r.. 650 000 + about 1k for registration + around 17 000 for 1st class insurance. Which gives me a "on the road" price of 668 000 baht.

When I first moved here I was devastated that I couldn't find a supersport bike for a decent price. For a while I thought of buying a Ducati 1098 at more than twice the price of the same machine back home (and they are overpriced already in Sweden). Then I started looking at import-bikes but was constantly warned about this due to pricing, problems with registration etcetera..

Then one day I accidently went by the Kawasaki show room on Rama IX and to my big surprise I saw a ZX-10r in the window. I went inside and could hardly believe my eyes when I looked at the price. It was only around 20k baht more expensive than back home (almost the same with the ER-6n).. I took me about 10 seconds to make a decision and a couple of days later it was in my possesion.. I know Sweden is not the cheapest country in the world, but the prices given there are the ones I'm used to and hence the ones I use when I compare pricing in different countries. I consider the Kwaker to be a good deal, not only because of the price on the machine, but also because of the insurance Kawasaki helped me find. Back home I paid around 125k baht for a 1st class insurance - and then the bike was registered on my 66 year old father!

peace,

Johan

Edited by dunder

Hi sheikxhoni

Tiger is nowhere near bancrupt...i have the boxer 250rs..bike is great and service too. Bike runs low on fuel (e10 & e20) and spares are very checp too. kano85 done 20000 km and i did so far 4000 km...no big issues really.

On the tiger boxer thread you will find their address and also the email address from khun pariya who speaks english well and can also take order of the bike.

hope that helps,

mbox

Allan

What is "on the road" add on prices? Sorry but I bought my 650 Suzuki from that dealer and the price is the price - no surprised and certainly not of the amount mentioned. If you buy an accessory you might be surprised at the high price, but that's about all. Registation and licence plate are separate just as it is on the Kawie price sheet here.

I have read about the Tiger 250 on this forum and I like what I read. It might not be appropriate for the Iron Butt ride like my Bimmer was - Washington to Columbia Missouri in one day - but it might get me to Pattay once in awhile and also around town.

And, while I'm at it, what the hel_l does Bollacks mean? It does sound hostile.

I hope hostility doesn't linger among those with lots of experience with this forum but, for me, I now DO understand why Kawie is a great deal for us all and I will ask your respect for my initial misunderstanding of the local market factors. Okay?

I am more than happy about the price for my ZX-10r.. 650 000 + about 1k for registration + around 17 000 for 1st class insurance. Which gives me a "on the road" price of 668 000 baht.

When I first moved here I was devastated that I couldn't find a supersport bike for a decent price. For a while I thought of buying a Ducati 1098 at more than twice the price of the same machine back home (and they are overpriced already in Sweden). Then I started looking at import-bikes but was constantly warned about this due to pricing, problems with registration etcetera..

Then one day I accidently went by the Kawasaki show room on Rama IX and to my big surprise I saw a ZX-10r in the window. I went inside and could hardly believe my eyes when I looked at the price. It was only around 20k baht more expensive than back home (almost the same with the ER-6n).. I took me about 10 seconds to make a decision and a couple of days later it was in my possesion.. I know Sweden is not the cheapest country in the world, but the prices given there are the ones I'm used to and hence the ones I use when I compare pricing in different countries. I consider the Kwaker to be a good deal, not only because of the price on the machine, but also because of the insurance Kawasaki helped me find. Back home I paid around 125k baht for a 1st class insurance - and then the bike was registered on my 66 year old father!

peace,

Johan

Wow- that's cool that the ZX10R is a good deal for you here in Thailand. I had no idea bike prices were so high in Sweden. I have a hard time getting my head around the 650,000 Baht Thai price because the same bike back in the US costs only MSRP $11,799 and with the economy in ruins I see them on sale new for as low as $10299 (~350,000 Baht). http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...ZX-10R-94810331 So that's why I have a hard time accepting the additional 300,000 Baht 'premium' here in Thailand...

Now, if Kawasaki would import a ZX6R I would be sorely tempted. I've always been a 600cc fan and the ZX10R is just a bit too much for Thailand IMHO.

For now I'm quite happy with the ER6n price and performance. Really looking forward to the ER6f.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Here I am again, the guy who started this. And I thank everyone who helped me. The Tiger is looking pretty good. I will be pleased to get some tame transportation. When I test rode the Kawie 650 I was shocked at the power in my hand. From a stop I couldn't even put it in second gear for a smooth start as I used to do with my BMW. The Kawie only shifts into first. But now I am almost as old as "Sweden's" father and I want somethng that won't get out of control in trafffic and will also be big enough to not get blow off the road when I ride to the beach. The Tiger is looking good.

If I could I would get another boring Suzuki 650 Savage (which is a misnomer because it is hardly "savage" at all - top speed was about 80 mph with a tail wind) My BMW R1100R was a lot more than I needed and, crazy as it might seem to most people, I replaced it with the $4,000 Suzuki 650 single. But that took me downtown in Washington DC traffic for two years, took me from DC to Miami, and took a boat to join me in the Dominican Republic where I toured the island extensively. That's all I need. The Tiger 250 seems to come closest around here. Way back in 1970 I did a season in Germany's OMK league racing motocross - but I'm not that person anymore. Nevertheless I still like to ride.

Thanks again all - -

Wow- that's cool that the ZX10R is a good deal for you here in Thailand. I had no idea bike prices were so high in Sweden. I have a hard time getting my head around the 650,000 Baht Thai price because the same bike back in the US costs only MSRP $11,799 and with the economy in ruins I see them on sale new for as low as $10299 (~350,000 Baht). http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/20...ZX-10R-94810331 So that's why I have a hard time accepting the additional 300,000 Baht 'premium' here in Thailand...

Now, if Kawasaki would import a ZX6R I would be sorely tempted. I've always been a 600cc fan and the ZX10R is just a bit too much for Thailand IMHO.

For now I'm quite happy with the ER6n price and performance. Really looking forward to the ER6f.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Or the fact that you can get an 1198 back home for less than you can get a 696 Monster here..... :)

But once again, as stated numerous times in the thread, this isn't the USA (and I'm glad our Scandinavian friend gave us a reality check as far as how much they just have to pay there for big bikes), and Kawasaki offers a fabulous value for Thailand.

Now if Honda would spend some of that money they have promised to sink in their Lat Krabang plant on big bikes (bring on the VTR 250 if nothing else!).....

**edit**

Here I am again, the guy who started this. And I thank everyone who helped me. The Tiger is looking pretty good. I will be pleased to get some tame transportation. When I test rode the Kawie 650 I was shocked at the power in my hand. From a stop I couldn't even put it in second gear for a smooth start as I used to do with my BMW. The Kawie only shifts into first. But now I am almost as old as "Sweden's" father and I want somethng that won't get out of control in trafffic and will also be big enough to not get blow off the road when I ride to the beach. The Tiger is looking good.

Make sure you get the wider tyres from the dealer; I've ridden both and the increased pleasantness of the bigger ones makes a world of difference.

Edited by dave_boo

My problem is I have always been the kind of person who like to chop and change, and always hunts a bargain, which in the Thai big bike world gets dangerous. I am in the UK and if you look at sub 3k miles on a single owner full service bikes the prices just make you cry.. Super clean Triumph Street triple under 2k miles 4500 GBP.. I just saw a 05 1050 Speed triple (more miles) with some nice mods go for 3800 !!

When I know I can bring it in for 6 months at a time, then find a legit importer.. Ride it Malaysia and have it stripped there and shipped over the border, pay the legit taxes and them reg it cleanly.. Well the price is appealing.. But the downside it the amount of time it has to be in BKK and the hassle factor.

But I really dig that 1050 !!