Is The Flu Made It To Chiang Mai?

hmficc

Are the Docs and Hospitals seeing a surge in flu here?

I asked my doc in the USA to give me a script for Tamiflu so I could buy with my insurance and bring home to CM. He has always been very helpful but he gave me a firm NO. It seems that "big brother" has nixed it unless you are sick.

If it hits hard the Docs and government pukes will be munching Tamiflu like M & Ms. They do not wish to share. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read antivirals do not work on this strain of flu maybe that is why your doctor told you no.

They work well. Very little resistance so far. I do have some and in the past my doc was happy to script it. No more.

Sooo :) ,"don't leave home without it".

My son's school closed yesterday. It will remain closed for, at least, a week. I don't have more information so far.

whats the name of the school?

Sorry but it's a Chinese name I keep forgetting and I can't ask him right now because he just left for the temple (hope he won't get the shrine flu :) )

I asked my doc in the USA to give me a script for Tamiflu so I could buy with my insurance and bring home to CM. He has always been very helpful but he gave me a firm NO. It seems that "big brother" has nixed it unless you are sick.

If it hits hard the Docs and government pukes will be munching Tamiflu like M & Ms. They do not wish to share. :)

It's only Flu. Unless you have other ailments, you get a bit sick and a few days later you are better. Just like every annual Flu that nobody panics about. No need to head for the hills, other than to cool down in this heat.

It's only Flu. Unless you have other ailments, you get a bit sick and a few days later you are better. Just like every annual Flu that nobody panics about. No need to head for the hills, other than to cool down in this heat.

Noone who has ever had the Flu would say it is only the flu. The flu is not the mild colds that people call "the flu".

36,000 people die of the Flu each year in the USA .

No need to "duck and cover" but it is wise to keep informed of risk.

Noone who has ever had the Flu would say it is only the flu. The flu is not the mild colds that people call "the flu".

36,000 people die of the Flu each year in the USA .

No need to "duck and cover" but it is wise to keep informed of risk.

I agree that Flu isn't pleasant but no-one was panicking last year when the 36,000 people died of flu, so no need to panic this year. If anything, this is a mild Flu. Generally the old, or people with other illnesses, die of Flu.

To make it sound more scary, they say that this one could 'mutate', but then so could I.

In fact now I think of it,  maybe I am. My hair is getting thinner and my stomach is beginning to protrude - help!!! I'm mutating!!!

Hold on there. A pandemic typically infects at least 40 percent of the world population. If the fatality per case rate is even the same (and it is potentially greater) than a seasonal flu (which typically infects 10 percent) then that is a LOT of dead people. I don't agree with people who say panic but I also don't understand people who think this is nothing, or just like a seasonal flu. IT IS NOT. Also if the health authorities actually believed that the only people at risk were old people, why is the first priority group of people for the potential vaccine CHILDREN? That is not the same priority as a seasonal flu.

Edited by Jingthing

Hold on there. A pandemic typically infects at least 40 percent of the world population. If the fatality per case rate is even the same (and it is potentially greater) than a seasonal flu (which typically infects 10 percent) then that is a LOT of dead people. I don't agree with people who say panic but I also don't understand people who think this is nothing, or just like a seasonal flu. IT IS NOT. Also if the health authorities actually believed that the only people at risk were old people, why is the first priority group of people for the potential vaccine CHILDREN? That is not the same priority as a seasonal flu.

Out of 94,000 cases so far 400 (1/2 percent) or so have died. Most had other illnesses.

According to the world healh Org

Influenza

Most infected people recover within one to two weeks without requiring medical treatment. However, in the very young, the elderly, and those with other serious medical conditions, infection can lead to severe complications of the underlying condition, pneumonia and death.

The figures are here....

www.who.int/csr/don/2009_07_06/en/index.html

I read antivirals do not work on this strain of flu maybe that is why your doctor told you no.

They work well. Very little resistance so far. I do have some and in the past my doc was happy to script it. No more.

As I understand it Antivirals don't work against the Common flu,therefore 36,000 deaths,and they've been looking for a cure for generations.But we've got the answer for this one,ok.

I'll try to find the article again but it said that antivirals had little to no impact on N1H1 but they didn't say which ones.

I'll try to find the article again but it said that antivirals had little to no impact on N1H1 but they didn't say which ones.

"There are four influenza antiviral drugs approved for use in the United States (oseltamivir, zanamivir, amantadine and rimantadine). The swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses that have been detected in humans in the United States and Mexico are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine so these drugs will not work against these swine influenza viruses. Laboratory testing on these swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses so far indicate that they are susceptible (sensitive) to oseltamivir and zanamivir."

Source: CDC

Also, the misuse or overuse of Tamiflu or Relenza by patients can promote general resistance in the flu virus which would promote effectively removing the only ammo in our arsenal to defend ourselves.

Out of 94,000 cases so far 400 (1/2 percent) or so have died. Most had other illnesses.

So if that fatality per case holds in Thailand with the projected 30 million infections in Thailand, that translates to 150,000 people dead from this in Thailand. The rate could of course be much higher. Trivial concern? NO. This is a process that take multiple years.

30 million infections is a conservative estimate as pandemics by definition infect at least 40 percent of the total population. The 1918 pandemic it is now known infected almost every human on the planet at that time, BEFORE air travel. Of course an effective vaccine would be helpful. Its tricky though. If this flu remains relatively mild, most people won't even want the vaccine, which is a good thing, as there won't be enough of it.

Edited by Jingthing

Our Daughter was just in hospital for 5 days with the flu. My daughters pediatrician said that she did not have N1H1 but we were worried none the less.. She had fluid in her lungs intense stomach pain, fever, vomiting, coughing, aches and pains and would not eat or drink. They gave her an IV and besides saline they fed her through her IV as well. This was the most traumatic thing my daughter has gone through. I can see why they take the flu seriously.

As I understand it Antivirals don't work against the Common flu,therefore 36,000 deaths,and they've been looking for a cure for generations.But we've got the answer for this one,ok.

They have proven to work well if taken at onset of flu. You snooze-you lose. I have kept some on hand since bird flu began enjoying humans.

"There are four influenza antiviral drugs approved for use in the United States (oseltamivir, zanamivir, amantadine and rimantadine). The swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses that have been detected in humans in the United States and Mexico are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine so these drugs will not work against these swine influenza viruses. Laboratory testing on these swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses so far indicate that they are susceptible (sensitive) to oseltamivir and zanamivir."

Source: CDC

Also, the misuse or overuse of Tamiflu or Relenza by patients can promote general resistance in the flu virus which would promote effectively removing the only ammo in our arsenal to defend ourselves.

What would be misuse and help me out with what sort of overuse would promote resistance?

How is chiang mai to day?

I am planning to travel to chiang mai 22 juli, but I am wondering if its safe? (my immun system is not so good).

It isn't Thailand that is a problem. If you get on an airplane, you have a relatively closed ventilation system and, normally, rather cramped seating. But that really isn't a reason to stop living, flying,or whatever!

Pack some Xanax!

So if that fatality per case holds in Thailand with the projected 30 million infections in Thailand, that translates to 150,000 people dead from this in Thailand. The rate could of course be much higher. Trivial concern? NO. This is a process that take multiple years.

30 million infections is a conservative estimate as pandemics by definition infect at least 40 percent of the total population. The 1918 pandemic it is now known infected almost every human on the planet at that time, BEFORE air travel. Of course an effective vaccine would be helpful. Its tricky though. If this flu remains relatively mild, most people won't even want the vaccine, which is a good thing, as there won't be enough of it.

How is 30 million conservative? That is half of the population.

And if the figure were right (?) 150,000 people that were already old and/or  ill may die!!

What is the relevance of 1918? Health services worldwide have improved since then. People died of all sorts of diseases in 1918 that they wouldn't die of now. Of course lots of people died in 1918, but would the same numbers die in 2009? Of Flu? - a mild flu at that!? In the 21st century fit, healthy people don't die of Flu, generally.

According to today's WHO figures Japan has 1790 reported cases - 0 deaths

Germany 500 - 0 deaths

China 2040 - 0 deaths

USA 33,902 - 170 deaths (1/2 percent). Assuming most had other illnesses ..... what are your odds?

Chile 7376 - 114 deaths.

Lots of people will get the Flu and survive - a very small percent (as always) of people with other illnesses will die.

By the way, declaring it a Pandemic is merely a geographical statement according to WHO. As they said .....

"WHO’s decision to raise the pandemic alert level to Phase 6 is a reflection of the spread of the virus, not the severity of illness caused by the virus."

As we already know 36,000 die every year of flu in USA. Nothing's changed. Get Flu, be ill for a week or so and get over it (unless you're old and sick).

Don't forget , a few years ago we were all going to die of SARS and then Bird Flu. Same thing  - masks, panic , fear. How many people died of SARS? 774 worldwide!! Maybe 3 of them were otherwise fit and healthy? Tragic.

According to the WHO, about 8 million tuberculosis cases occur each year and at least 2 million deaths. But that's old and boring, isn't it? So is AIDS - booorrring.... We need something new, that might mutate!! That's a good word. That'll get their interest.

24 hour news channels, Internet news sites, Newspapers, they all are looking for a story ........... And big Pharmaceutical companies are all looking for a big earner. Methinks that that is what it's all about.

But, then again, I may be wrong .... it could mutate!!!! :)

Edited by muggins

How is 30 million conservative? That is half of the population.

Yes, that is correct.

The Public Health Ministry says as many as 30 million Thais could catch type-A(H1N1) influenza over the likely three-year life of the pandemic

Bangkok Post

I agree of course pandemic describes the spread, not the severity. When a flu is pandemic, typically it infects at least 40 percent of the total population, so 50 percent is conservative if you understand the meaning of the phrase AT LEAST.

Comparison to 1918-1919 which killed 50 to 100 million people out of a total much SMALLER world population? Not only old, sick people. It hit healthy young people especially hard because of the nature of their strong immune response (the typical death involved their immune respiratory problems where their immune system went haywire trying to fight it). We are the same species and most of the world will not have access to great medical care or drugs. The problem in 1918 was the severity of the virus. This current pandemic does indeed CURRENTLY involve a mild virus. Of course we all hope it will stay mild but it would be foolish to ignore the threat. Cheers.

BTW, comparing to HIV, by 2007, 25 million people had died of HIV since 1981. Of course a big difference is that you can't catch HIV in the air or touching a doorknob and then touching your face, now can you?

Edited by Jingthing

Influenza

Most infected people recover within one to two weeks without requiring medical treatment. However, in the very young, the elderly, and those with other serious medical conditions, infection can lead to severe complications of the underlying condition, pneumonia and death.

The figures are here....

www.who.int/csr/don/2009_07_06/en/index.html

This puts it into perspective.

Someone else mentioned 36,000 died of non-H1N1 flu last year in the States.

What's happening now is no different from every year. there are different strains of flu that mutate and kill the vulnerable. This year is no different.

I have flu at the moment! But, I would say just a regular strain of flu. Friday I was around the airport for a while waiting for my bf's kids to come back for a trip. I laughed at him for being too serious about the mask wearing. He went outside to get them, i waited just outside (didnt have a mask with me and he thought it better i dont go in). Maybe thats too short a time to have caught a bug at the airport as i started to feel unwell on the Friday night/sat morning. Yesterday I slept a lot, today feel pretty weak. My point is, that I learned my lesson about laughing at my bf for being careful regarding wearing a mask. This has given me a bit of a fright! :) So..be careful guys, good idea to wear at least wear a mask in crowded places.

Btw..the news the other day mentioned that most of the fatal instances of H1N1 happened to people who were obese (immunity issues???) Im sorry, i dont recall the exact details as i wasnt feeling so good. But, if you are in that category, I think best to be extra careful, as seems your system may have more problems defending against the virus.

I have flu at the moment! But, I would say just a regular strain of flu.

What makes you think it isn't swine flu? For the vast majority of people, it is just experienced as a "normal" mild flu. I had it too, and I assumed it is probably the swine version because that's the one that seems to be going around.

To the poster who said this is a normal flu season, they just don't understand. It is a PANDEMIC. By DEFINITION, a pandemic infects at least 40 percent of the total population. The Thai authorities finally seem to understand that now. Hopefully, it will stay mild.

..Well actually Jingthing, i really dont know. All im doing is staying indoors and away from people at the moment. Bf is checking on me and only a phone call away if i need help. Should i report that i have flu to somewhere? I kind of thought i would feel like i am at deaths door if i had the H1N1. I just feel a big tired and getting hot and cold etc. Not the worst systems ive ever had regarding flu.

..Well actually Jingthing, i really dont know. All im doing is staying indoors and away from people at the moment. Bf is checking on me and only a phone call away if i need help. Should i report that i have flu to somewhere? I kind of thought i would feel like i am at deaths door if i had the H1N1. I just feel a big tired and getting hot and cold etc. Not the worst systems ive ever had regarding flu.

No for most people it is a very mild flu! There is no reason to go to the doctor unless your symptoms get severe. Staying at home for a week is the best thing for you and everybody. Also if you get sick and then better (fever breaks) and then the fever comes back again, then go to the doctor.