Thai Citizenship

Dear All,

Could anyone please tell, how much time it will take to get Thai citizenship after submitted the application at police head office Bkk? Been told from 7 months to 10 years. But approx. how much???

First you should be a Permanent Resident. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-G...ide-t74654.html for details.

Thanks for the reply, I have already got every documents of PR and submitted the application for Thai citizenship. Just would like to know the time as now in case there something have been changed towards the better side for the process of citizenshipt application.

First you should be a Permanent Resident. See http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Camerata-s-G...ide-t74654.html for details.

Thanks for the reply, I have already got every documents of PR and submitted the application for Thai citizenship. Just would like to know the time as now in case there something have been changed towards the better side for the process of citizenshipt application.

Took me 3 years

Nothing posted to this Forum indicates anything has changed for the better. Once your application is accepted, you are just waiting on the Thai bureaucracy to function. A stable government also helps things along. Two or three years would not be an unreasonable period of time to wait. If someone disagrees with that time line I'm sure they will respond.

Nothing posted to this Forum indicates anything has changed for the better. Once your application is accepted, you are just waiting on the Thai bureaucracy to function. A stable government also helps things along. Two or three years would not be an unreasonable period of time to wait. If someone disagrees with that time line I'm sure they will respond.

we are betting on three years. My wife has had her application in for about 15 months now, and still no update.

Dear All,

Could anyone please tell, how much time it will take to get Thai citizenship after submitted the application at police head office Bkk? Been told from 7 months to 10 years. But approx. how much???

--------------------------

Good luck. You´re gonna need it

Glegolo

we are betting on three years. My wife has had her application in for about 15 months now, and still no update.

How many times your wife went for interviews in police department and ministry of interior, little light on it?

I lodged my application with the Special Branch in May 2007 and had my interview with the Ministry of Interior in July 2008. Not a peep since my Ministry interview. So, all up, my application has been in for two years. I am hoping to get a positive response this year - but whether or not I do is another matter entirely.

The wait is vexing to say the least.

How many times your wife went for interviews in police department and ministry of interior, little light on it?

formal 'interview' at the police department on the day we submitted the documentation (april 2008 from memory).

We had a follow up interview at KFC (yes KFC) at Victory Monument a few weeks later with some Ministry Interior officals. It seemed just to be an informal get to know you interview - why are you applying etc.

nothing heard since.....been meaning to follow up actually.

• 1 month later...

formal 'interview' at the police department on the day we submitted the documentation (april 2008 from memory).

We had a follow up interview at KFC (yes KFC) at Victory Monument a few weeks later with some Ministry Interior officals. It seemed just to be an informal get to know you interview - why are you applying etc.

Hello Dear,

Any update???????

Don't know if there is any connection with the citizenship application process but PR applications are backed up since the batch that applied in Dec 2006 and none have been approved. The PR process seems to have got longer since the Interior Ministry got more involved with it when Purachai was minister. Maybe all are piled up in the same bureacratic in-tray, while the incumbent is reducing his golf handicap.

Edited by Arkady

• 2 weeks later...
Not connected, I think. Citizenship applications have always taken 2-3 years, on average. I know a bunch were granted last year.

Is anybody know how and what we can do to speed up the process for Thai citizenship applications?

• 1 month later...
I lodged my application with the Special Branch in May 2007 and had my interview with the Ministry of Interior in July 2008. Not a peep since my Ministry interview. So, all up, my application has been in for two years. I am hoping to get a positive response this year - but whether or not I do is another matter entirely.

The wait is vexing to say the least.

Any update, my friend

Have you follow up your case, most intersting actually, any update

Not connected, I think. Citizenship applications have always taken 2-3 years, on average. I know a bunch were granted last year.

Is anybody know how and what we can do to speed up the process for Thai citizenship applications?

A personal call to the minister or some one else at the top level of the ministry from some one who knows them well might help or, at least, find out what is happening. Otherwise probably not much you can do except wait and hope your application has not been forgotten or lost in the Kafkaesque system. The process seems to include unwritten longevity and endurance requirements.

Edited by Arkady

• 4 weeks later...

Have you follow up your case, most intersting actually, any update

Has anybody called you recently?

Thanks.

However, it seems that Thailand recognizes dual nationality??!! I mean, for example, can a British national of a Thai wife acquire Thai nationality/citizenship through naturalization without renounce his British nationality? As such, will the Thai authority request the candidate for renouncing his British nationality; otherwise, his application will be revoked!?

Thanks again for all experts' advice.

• 3 weeks later...
Do the applicant need to renounce her/his original nationality before the approval of her/his Thai nationality through naturalization?

Not really as I know, Thai authorities will inform your country through letter that you have got Thai citizenship after the process finished.

Thanks.

However, it seems that Thailand recognizes dual nationality??!! I mean, for example, can a British national of a Thai wife acquire Thai nationality/citizenship through naturalization without renounce his British nationality? As such, will the Thai authority request the candidate for renouncing his British nationality; otherwise, his application will be revoked!?

Thanks again for all experts' advice.

Thailand does not care one way or another when issuing you Thai citizenship.

They will however inform your home country presumably through your embassy.

So if and what you have to do beforehand will depend on your original nationality!

Some countries will make you lose their citizenship automatically once they are informed you have taken up Thai nationality. Denmark, Japan and Singapore spring to mind.

Other nationalities have to be prepared, for example Germans and Austrians who need to apply for a permit to retain their citizenship (beibehaltungsgenehmigung) before accepting another one. Without doing this they would their original citizenship!

Then again other countries don't mind at all!

Oh, and BTW, you do not get "naturalized" because you are married to a Thai National! It is possible but a very lengthy process, which actually rather few foreigners complete!