The Dam Water Is Orange

Sigh. My dad's farm in Oz always had good dams. You know the type, the ones that water the cattle, have decent-sized fish, accomodate the occasional cattledog washing in the water and are great for kids to swim in during summer.

Now...anticipating a multi-purpose dam we had a quarter-rai hole dug on our land here but after getting a couple of feet down it turned out to be orange clay. We persisted to 2 metres and if I were looking to make bricks I would be celebrating. But of course even two years later the water is still orange. Nothing grows around it and I"m fairly sure no fish could survive in it. It's a bloody eyesore and I'm sick of looking at it, especially as I can't drink it or swim in it :)

Is there anything we can do to improve the water quality?

(Edited to add that my dad died last year so I can't ask him.)

Edited by Goinghomesoon

Now...anticipating a multi-purpose dam we had a quarter-rai hole dug on our land here but after getting a couple of feet down it turned out to be orange clay. We persisted to 2 metres and if I were looking to make bricks I would be celebrating. But of course even two years later the water is still orange. Nothing grows around it and I"m fairly sure no fish could survive in it. It's a bloody eyesore and I'm sick of looking at it, especially as I can't drink it or swim in it :)

-----------------------------

I agree, your only way of doing it is like what Maizefarmer suggests

Glegolo

Have you had the water tested? when you know the makeup of the water then there maybe other options open to you.

Possibly a massive dose of Bentonite ( a heavy clay soluble in water) This stuff clings to deposits in liquid, And with it being heavier than normal it drags the deposits to the bottom leaving clear water above.