How, When, And Why Did Chang Become The Farang Beer Of Choice?

wamberal

I have drunk a fair bit of Thai beer over the years. Not as much lately, but my beer of choice is still Singha, as it was from the beginning (late seventies). Brief flirtations with Kloster - but I have stayed faithful to my first love.

Singha has changed a lot over the years, of course. When I lived full-time in Thailand in the eighties, in a situation which required a lot of contact with the Australian Embassy, we were advised to be very careful in drinking Thai beer - particularly Singha - because the alcohol content was quite variable, and ranged anywhere from 8% up to 12%. (Explains some dreadful performances over the years, doesn't it?).

Now it appears that Chang is the beer of choice among the farang community. Why, when, and how did this happen? Does anybody still drink Singha? Is Kloster still available?

I only visit Thailand every couple of years, and am more likely to have a G and T before dinner, and a bottle of wine with the meal, rarely buy or drink Thai beer any more.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you I used to drink Singha when I first came to LOS as a tourist but there are much better beers around these days. Chang is one I have always disliked so I cant comment but the one which I think is by far the best is Leo, it`s maybe more popular in Isaan but it is a great beer give it a try.

Like you I used to drink Singha when I first came to LOS as a tourist but there are much better beers around these days. Chang is one I have always disliked so I cant comment but the one which I think is by far the best is Leo, it`s maybe more popular in Isaan but it is a great beer give it a try.

Totally agree.

Very few of my friends in Chiang Mai drink Chang. Most foreigners I see drinking it are tourists, not expats. It may be due to Chang's marketing in the UK. Heineken seems to be the most popular where I am.

Now it appears that Chang is the beer of choice among the farang community. Why, when, and how did this happen? Does anybody still drink Singha? Is Kloster still available?

This is news to me. If I'm at home I'll drink Leo, but when out it is normally Heiniken/Tiger or Cider. None of my mates drink Chang as a regular beer.

Leo is what I usually drink. I don't like Singha. Chang rarely. Recently I tried Archa again and really liked it. What do you think of Archa?

I find Archa to be similar to Leo i like both more than Chang.Singha is not bad but more expensive.When i drink Chang i get headache before getting drunk,and normally i don't like to get drunk.That said,nothing is comparable to a good German or Belgian beer.

I useta drink Chang before I decided to give up beer an' stick to vodka...but I was at a food stall at the bus station with the family the other day and ordered a Leo with the larb, roast pork and sticky rice...not bad; I even got another...usually with Chang I can't even finish the first boddle...

my vote is with Leo (pronounced 'leh-oooh...not lee-o as I had presumed...)

salud...

I don't know a single farang living here that drinks Chang, well they dont anymore as they have learnt that its the worst beer ever brewed (outside of America!)

Most drink Leo and some drink Heineken. Tourists drink Chang because its the most famous, its cheap and gets you proper hammered.

I can't believe i live in a place that regards Heineken as a premium beer!

People who drink Chang and say they like it are kidding themselves. I'm generalising of course. God help anyone who is served one on the non too cool side. The only thing to like about it, is the price.

Regards Bojo

Many of the places I have consumed chang it was served up by beautiful 'chang girls'......

Could have something to do with the popularity...... :)

there is a lot of merit to this argument...the serving girl at the bus station looked good in her cut offs and t-shirt, young and unassuming...and she coulda been serving bilge water or whatever just to watch her approaching the table smiling with a boddle in her hand...

wouldn't have done it twice if it were Chang, however...

I don't drink beer, so I am no expert.  And I rarely go to a bar, so I am even less of an expert there.  But at restaurants, it seems to me that most farangs tend to drink Heineiken.  I might have a client who is visiting for the first time who will have a Thai beer with dinner, but Heineken seems to be the choice for most farangs who I've noticed drinking beer.

Chang was originally brewed by Carlsberg here as a low price beer to compete with Singha (they had Carlsebrg competing with Heineken for the premium market already, but that segemnt was really small).

They easily beat Singha because their Thai partner was also the biggest whiskey producer here, and bars and restaurants were forced to buy a number of cases of discounted Chang with every order of whiskey, after which they only had "sorry, we have enough beer already" for Singha reps.

Carlsberg were hoping to get marketing support for Carlsberg brand, too, but got a big finger from Thai Beverage and eventually were forced to break up and close the business here. They tried to find a new partner and restart the brand but it got nowhere.

Thai Beverage since then introduced even cheaper beer and Chang and Singha belong to the medium segment now. Their premium brand is "Fetherbrau" but I have no idea how it fares against Heineken, which pretty much rules the upper and of the market.

Oh, and during Chang marketing offensive, beer consumption in Thailand grew 400%, if I remember correctly. Ads were everywhere, they sponsored Thai Olympic teams, had biggest singers and what not.

I actually think Singha tastes better than Chang, but a Singha session gives me a terrible headache. You know where you are with Chang, it's cheap and strong and after a few large bottles you're flying.

I actually think the best tasting beer available in Thailand is Ashai but it is expensive and weak.

The vast majority of farang that live here drink Heineken, Leo and Singha.

The people you want to watch out for are the ones who drink Siam Sato after breakfast.

Almost every expat that I know drinks Leo. Chang was more popular than Singha before Leo came on the scene and now it also seems that Leo is more popular with the Thais. I spent a few thousand Baht on beer when the village celebrated Songkran this year and the Leos were the choice of the locals.

Edited by loong

I used to drink chang all the time, but it started giving me bad headaches, so I swithched to Leo or Tiger, I recently went back to Chang and all is well so far, maybe I just needed a break from it for a while.

I have drunk a fair bit of Thai beer over the years. Not as much lately, but my beer of choice is still Singha, as it was from the beginning (late seventies). Brief flirtations with Kloster - but I have stayed faithful to my first love.

Singha has changed a lot over the years, of course. When I lived full-time in Thailand in the eighties, in a situation which required a lot of contact with the Australian Embassy, we were advised to be very careful in drinking Thai beer - particularly Singha - because the alcohol content was quite variable, and ranged anywhere from 8% up to 12%. (Explains some dreadful performances over the years, doesn't it?).

I only visit Thailand every couple of years, and am more likely to have a G and T before dinner, and a bottle of wine with the meal, rarely buy or drink Thai beer any more.

Tell me one beer what has 8-12 % alcohol most beers have an average between 4-6 %

Talking about Chang Beer I think it must be the best beer ever come from Thailand well don't trust me

as many friends of mine who have been here in holidays and now the drink Chang instead of the horrible Fosters or 4 X or what ever. And by the way Leo is made by Singha it is just a cheap version

from the bottom of the barrel :)

I drink Chang only if nothing else is available. Of the Thai branded beers I prefer Leo. It doesn't taste like Singha at all, much more round taste.

Try a blind test with Thai beer brands and see what your actual preference is. You may be surprised. :)

If I recall correctly Chang has 6.5% alcohol listed on the bottle.

There have indeed been rumours floating around about variable alcohol content in the beer, but I am not sure that these are true.

I've had the Thai beer and would have to say Leo is the best out of the bunch followed by Tiger than Singha then Chang. I understand Leo is the beer of choice for many Thais. Since foreigners prefer Singha maybe this is a very devious way of double pricing and Leo is actually more expensive to produce? :):D

Edited by losworld

I drink Chang only if nothing else is available. Of the Thai branded beers I prefer Leo. It doesn't taste like Singha at all, much more round taste.

Try a blind test with Thai beer brands and see what your actual preference is. You may be surprised. :)

If I recall correctly Chang has 6.5% alcohol listed on the bottle.

There have indeed been rumours floating around about variable alcohol content in the beer, but I am not sure that these are true.

Well it must be inflation, my bottle I have right in my hand says 6% even it would say 2% I prefere Chang to any other beer. Come on guys every body is talking about theyr beer well I have mine and you have yours just let's all drink together and have a good time :D

Tell me one beer what has 8-12 % alcohol most beers have an average between 4-6 %

Talking about Chang Beer I think it must be the best beer ever come from Thailand well don't trust me

as many friends of mine who have been here in holidays and now the drink Chang instead of the horrible Fosters or 4 X or what ever. And by the way Leo is made by Singha it is just a cheap version

from the bottom of the barrel :)

at least that is what they want you to believe... may be the opposite... i