How, When, And Why Did Chang Become The Farang Beer Of Choice?

wamberal

Normally I drink Leo if available , but last night we had Chang served in a bar and I felt drunk after 3 bottles of it.....

:)

Edited by balo

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Far from the farang beer of choice.

There is a stigma attached to Chang, the only farangs drinking it are cheap charlie alkies in wife beaters, subsequently nobody I know or have met would be seen dead drinking it for fear of being stereotyped.

Having said that my brother wanted to try it when he came to visit, so we bought a case (strictly for home consumption). Not bad actually, very strong but palatable.

Far from the farang beer of choice.

There is a stigma attached to Chang, the only farangs drinking it are cheap charlie alkies in wife beaters, subsequently nobody I know or have met would be seen dead drinking it for fear of being stereotyped.

Having said that my brother wanted to try it when he came to visit, so we bought a case (strictly for home consumption). Not bad actually, very strong but palatable.

I do beat my wife every day from the morning till night because I drink Chang :)

I seem to alternate between Leo and Chang, but the other day a mate told me to try Chang Draught. It was bloody lovely, definately the best Thai beer I've tasted by far.At 5%, it's not as strong as Chang but it has a lot more flavour. Give it a go.

Beer Chang became more popular when that disgusting football team who play in blue had it printed on

their shirts.Even though I like the beer I'm gonna have to make a point of trying Leo.

Total <deleted> comment, In 77 Chang, Klosters and Singha ruled the waves bugger all to do with Everton. if your going to posts keep it fact factual.

recently I read on here about Cheers Extra. after trying the original Cheers I gagged atthe thought of another Cheers product but lo and behold I was impressed. Usually i am a leo drinker

In Thailand I tend to drink big Heinees and sometime Sings or Beer Lao but never Chang (even although it cheaper)

On the other hand have enjoyed it at the Thai Festivals in Blighty ..Trafalgar sq/Battersea etc and more so last year when Raimon land was giving it away for FREE...good session that afternoon....thanks Nigel.

Getting back to the 70s-80s all you could get in Los tended to be Sings and Kloisters but does anyone remember Amarit which was on Draught at the soi 7 beer bar...orrible stuff.....but at the time.......well why not...

a lot better than that Archa Buffallo P!ss.

Aha! The secret ingredient!

Chang is a mix between liquid Rocket Propellant & Guinness, so whats not to like?!

BR>Jack

I think i'm going to drink some wine tonight :)

Well I was manager in a NYC thai restaurant before I moved here and I believe that the common drinking of Chang by farangs (at least American) ...is probably due to the release in the US...They just started selling Chang in thai restaurants in the US...the guy has his whole team go out to all the Thai places to market and sell it....they are very nice people and he has a lot of farangs working for him.....people love it...because its something *NEW* and a diff alternative to Singha..

I also noticed a lot of people like Beer Lao which also is new in the US....not new-new but less than 2 yrs old

In Thailand I tend to drink big Heinees and sometime Sings or Beer Lao but never Chang (even although it cheaper)

On the other hand have enjoyed it at the Thai Festivals in Blighty ..Trafalgar sq/Battersea etc and more so last year when Raimon land was giving it away for FREE...good session that afternoon....thanks Nigel.

Getting back to the 70s-80s all you could get in Los tended to be Sings and Kloisters but does anyone remember Amarit which was on Draught at the soi 7 beer bar...orrible stuff.....but at the time.......well why not...

I remember Amarit at one time was the only draught beer available, was certainly available up to the early/mid 90s, as you say a bit dodgy, but better than the bottled beers available.

Singha introduced Leo to try and capture the Chang market, make sure to drink the Bangkok brewed Leo and not the stuff brewed in Khon Kaen. (what ever happened to super Leo?)

Singha suffers from similair production problems as Leo, Singha brewed down south has a different flavour.

Heard Carlsberg were trying to get back into Thailand, even if they only capture 3-5% of the market, its still a lot of sales.

For the more economically challenged, Red Horse may well be the tipple of choice, even the Chang swilling

motorcy taxis drivers avoid it.

Leo is what I usually drink. I don't like Singha. Chang rarely. Recently I tried Archa again and really liked it. What do you think of Archa?

I do wonder if being a cider drinker back home has any bearing on my taste, but I love the taste of Chang and also Archer. Both are refreshing drinks whereas Leo and the dreaded Heineken are simply average tasting beers.

Have to admit many people including Thai people look down their noses somewhat at Chang drinkers. Rating Chang, Archer and Tiger as lower class beers ?? With Leo and Heineken as classier beers. Little mention of Singha

To me it will always be the taste that counts :)

Heineken, Asahi, San Miguel, and Leo are what I usually order.

Chang is at the bottom of the list for me, right next to Singha.

But, I do see most expats drinking Chang, as do most of my expat neighbors and friends.

My overall favorite for taste and price, of course, is Beer Lao (dark preferrably).

I make the beer run over the border and bring back the stuff by the case. Most of the locals won't touch it. Yeah! More for me :)

Beer Chang became more popular when that disgusting football team who play in blue had it printed on

their shirts.Even though I like the beer I'm gonna have to make a point of trying Leo.

Total <deleted> comment, In 77 Chang, Klosters and Singha ruled the waves bugger all to do with Everton. if your going to posts keep it fact factual.

recently I read on here about Cheers Extra. after trying the original Cheers I gagged atthe thought of another Cheers product but lo and behold I was impressed. Usually i am a leo drinker

Are you trying to say that Chang "ruled the waves" back in '77? Hardly so, since it was first produced in March 1995 :D ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThaiBev ).

When I came to Thailand for the first time back in 1984, I only encountered three brands of (local) beer: Singha, Kloster and Amarit.

Incidentally, the posters that claim that only farang drink Chang must have their facts somewhat twisted. Chang supposedly has ~60% market share, which would mean that Thais hardly drink any beer at all :)

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Regular Chang beer is 6.4% Thai Beer is 6.5% and Red Horse beer is 6.9%

I think bottled Chang strength does vary though, although tinned Chang is very consistent.

Don't forget to check the bottled date in microscopic black ink on the bottle neck. If it's much more than 3 months since it was bottled it will taste nasty.

I have drunk a fair bit of Thai beer over the years. Not as much lately, but my beer of choice is still Singha, as it was from the beginning (late seventies). Brief flirtations with Kloster - but I have stayed faithful to my first love.

Singha has changed a lot over the years, of course. When I lived full-time in Thailand in the eighties, in a situation which required a lot of contact with the Australian Embassy, we were advised to be very careful in drinking Thai beer - particularly Singha - because the alcohol content was quite variable, and ranged anywhere from 8% up to 12%. (Explains some dreadful performances over the years, doesn't it?).

Now it appears that Chang is the beer of choice among the farang community. Why, when, and how did this happen? Does anybody still drink Singha? Is Kloster still available?

I only visit Thailand every couple of years, and am more likely to have a G and T before dinner, and a bottle of wine with the meal, rarely buy or drink Thai beer any more.

----------------------------------------------

I live full time up in Isaan (Chaiyaphum) and it seems to me that LEO is the oustanding choice of beer here. I myself

prefer also LEO, soft in the taste, Singha and Chang to sharp for me, sorry guys...

I do also as being Swedish miss CARLSBERG (Danish beer )

Glegolo

Are you trying to say that Chang "ruled the waves" back in '77? Hardly so, since it was first produced in March 1995 :D ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThaiBev ).

When I came to Thailand for the first time back in 1984, I only encountered three brands of (local) beer: Singha, Kloster and Amarit.

Incidentally, the posters that claim that only farang drink Chang must have their facts somewhat twisted. Chang supposedly has ~60% market share, which would mean that Thais hardly drink any beer at all :)

/ Priceless

Who had the <deleted> comment? :D

I am surprised that no one has mentioned the revolting Phuket Beer, which I have to say is possibly the worst beer I have tried. I'm not sure if it still being sold, but I can't believe that anybody would actually buy it.

So what month and year do we finally get mass distribution of Beer Lao in Thailand? And will it be real Beer Lao or made in Thailand fake Beer Lao? Its no wonder the powers that be are delaying this, if it was sold today at competitive prices (not premium) it would take over 50 percent of the market easily.

/ Priceless

Who had the <deleted> comment? :D

I hold my hand up with apologies I got confused with what must have been Amarit, however still stand by my views that Chang is a <deleted> brew

I've been trying to figure out why it is that LEO is by far the most favoured beer by expats and locals alike, yet you can never find it in many of the tourist bars.

Tiger on tap is a good alternative.

Why doesn't Leo show up in the main lower suk bars and the tourist resorts?