How, When, And Why Did Chang Become The Farang Beer Of Choice?

wamberal

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a single farang living here that drinks Chang, well they dont anymore as they have learnt that its the worst beer ever brewed (outside of America!)

Most drink Leo and some drink Heineken. Tourists drink Chang because its the most famous, its cheap and gets you proper hammered.

I can't believe i live in a place that regards Heineken as a premium beer!

I have lived here for 7 years and my favourite is still CHANG by FAR, it has to be ice cold tho' as all 'lagers' do. All of my friends, Thai and farang agree, Chang is best. The worst is Leo which has a 'beer' smell but tastes of water. Beer Sing, Tiger and Heineken are just too sweet to even be called 'beer' or even LAGER.

A large V & T or a good Rioja still beats all of them though.

HIC!

Sir, you are either an ameteur drinker with ameteur drinking friends, or a true alcoholic with alcoholic friends.

Chang is filth. the worst of the worst, perhaps worse than Cheers Beer.

Chang is the 'Special Brew' of Asia. Leave it alone.

i would have to agree with the last poster im afraid .

chang is indeed absolute filth and barely fit for human consumption .

san miguel light is the best of a bad bunch of beers freely available here in thailand and only the ultra cheap bear leo is in anyway consumable of the thai beers .

beer lao on the other hand when available is by far the best beer ive ever consumed in this country but unfortunately of recent it has been impossible to get a supply in pattaya .

heineken , tiger and singha seem to have lost their popularity to san miguel light as far as i can see and its time thailand had a bigger choice of beers available to its people .

So what month and year do we finally get mass distribution of Beer Lao in Thailand? And will it be real Beer Lao or made in Thailand fake Beer Lao? Its no wonder the powers that be are delaying this, if it was sold today at competitive prices (not premium) it would take over 50 percent of the market easily.

Got it from the powers that be here in Phuket ( distributors ) that supplies will be available here the middle of next month (August) and will still be the real deal. I simply hope we have enough in stock to satisfy demand until then, but without living in hope here in Thailand, you may as well go home anyway.

Can't quite get the drift about "competitive price", ours across the bar is the same as Heineken or San Mig which cost about the same, and it is a fully imported beer, not just made under license.

Totally agree if it was sold at the same price as entry level Thai beers it would have a far greater acceptance level, it is indeed a good quality beer and tastes free of 'preservatives' quite unlike most of the 'local' brews.

As for consumer demand it sort of goes like this and I only quote our own custom;

Tiger.

Lao, (inc, dark)

Heineken.

Singha.

San Mig. light.

Australian V.B., Bulmers and other English ciders

Leo.

lucky to get a mention, Chang.

and kept as toilet cleaner, not for sale, Phuket Larger.

It only goes to prove everywhere is case sensitive though I feel Phuket has its own market demand and as such is not representative as to the rest of Thailand. It is not only a matter of cost but also one of availability and last but not least, personal preference.

God damm, another bottle with a hole in the bottom, better try a'nudder.

Cheers 'n' beers.

I hope your sources are correct on the supply of beerlao.

I have enjoyed beer all over the caribbean and asia and never had the same disgusting 'preservative' (with the exception of kingfisher in india in the early 90s).

The local brewers are complacent, and show no concern due to their long monopoly.

Buy beerlao!

Obviously my taste buds must be somewhat different because my favourite Thai beer was actually Phuket beer. Haven't had it for a good while as I now have Kronenburg 1664 on tap at home but I seem to remember it as being quite a smooth tasting beer. Maybe my memory is playing tricks with me.

Why Did Chang Become The Farang Beer Of Choice?

for me , i keep a few bottles at home coz if it rains during the evening i stay in .

the choice of chang was simple .

large chang at tesco lotus 35 b

large chang at 7 / 11 42 b

no contest.

dave2 : )

Any Leo drinkers that do a border run to Mae Sai, should try the duty free shop over in the market (down the main road take first left and 100 meters on the left) 17thb a can to drink there, or you can buy a tray of 24 for 370thb which is just over 15 thb a can. I usually buy 2 trays and never have a problem taking it back in to Thailand. On each can its marked duty free only and brewed in Khon Kaen.

Hello.

i didnt read the whole thread so dont kill me if it was mentioned already!

i am in thailand a few years now and for sure in the beginning drinking singha.after moving to a thai neighbourhood i changed to leo because i think its(or was now) the best beer and i hated chang,i am from germany and this chang beer tastes like pi.. to me(only my opinion!) and now i ran into something i didnt know before or its new,not sure. CHANG DRAUGHT...pls try it if you dont know it...this is the best beer in thailand ever and its even cheaper than leo!5%!you can get in 7!

regards and cheers

I don't know a single farang living here that drinks Chang, well they dont anymore as they have learnt that its the worst beer ever brewed (outside of America!)

Most drink Leo and some drink Heineken. Tourists drink Chang because its the most famous, its cheap and gets you proper hammered.

I can't believe i live in a place that regards Heineken as a premium beer!

I have lived here for 7 years and my favourite is still CHANG by FAR, it has to be ice cold tho' as all 'lagers' do. All of my friends, Thai and farang agree, Chang is best. The worst is Leo which has a 'beer' smell but tastes of water. Beer Sing, Tiger and Heineken are just too sweet to even be called 'beer' or even LAGER.

A large V & T or a good Rioja still beats all of them though.

HIC!

Sir, you are either an ameteur drinker with ameteur drinking friends, or a true alcoholic with alcoholic friends.

Chang is filth. the worst of the worst, perhaps worse than Cheers Beer.

Chang is the 'Special Brew' of Asia. Leave it alone.

I am definitely not an 'ameteur' drinker or even an amateur drinker. Neither am I an alcoholic.

My preference would be a pint of cold Guinness or a good pint of traditional bitter which unfortunately are unavailable here.

I am not a lager drinker so Chang is the best of a very bad bunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi to everyone of all you beer expats....

I just got a visit from back home. They brought Me some CARLSBERG and TUBORG ..... :):D Which was a great gift......

My Wife best friend is in England as we "speak", visiting her sister, and she will return in November also with some export Carlsbergs cans as she also likes them... That's perfect for Me.... a xmas with Carlsberg beers, a nice Thai woman and the hot sun, what more can one wish for:-)

And as I don't consume many beers in a month they can last long when I get my hands on some cans... BUT if anyone have discovered a place where one could buy them in Thailand, then for sure I'll be very grateful.

So any tips will be received with gratitude.