Warning On Militant Groups

churchill

SOUTHERN INSURGENTS, INTERNATIONAL TERRORISTS THOUGHT TO BE FORMING LINKS

JERUSALEM : Foreign security experts are warning Thai security authorities not to underestimate the link between insurgent groups in the deep South and international terrorist networks.

Jonathan Spyer, senior research fellow of the Global Research in International Affairs (Gloria) Centre, said international terrorists were trying to forge regional connections with like-minded groups.

"I cannot confirm whether insurgent groups in the deep south of Thailand have links with international terrorists, but al-Qaeda is clearly trying to reinforce its links with terrorist groups in Southeast Asia," he said.

"Don't forget that they are all Muslim brothers and will be part of a global jihad," he told a recent security and terrorist forum in Jerusalem.

continued postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 12/07/09http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/20087/warning-on-militant-groups

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/2008...militant-groups

"Don't forget that they are all Muslim brothers and will be part of a global jihad,"

I shouldn't be surprised the Bangkok Post has printed such trash. The entire article is ridiculous as it is written. If they want to make a point about the dangers of escalating the Southern Problems they should make it by writing well researched articles, not insulting every Muslim in the world.

"Don't forget that they are all Muslim brothers and will be part of a global jihad,"

I shouldn't be surprised the Bangkok Post has printed such trash. The entire article is ridiculous as it is written. If they want to make a point about the dangers of escalating the Southern Problems they should make it by writing well researched articles, not insulting every Muslim in the world.

Excuse me, sir, but the Post was merely QUOTING a source. I would agree it sounds insulting out of context. However, the basic concept, that Islamic insurgencies have the potential to communicate and organize internationally is a FACT. Just look at the Philippines, also in SE Asia.

Edited by Jingthing

Excuse me, sir, but the Post was merely QUOTING a source. I would agree it sounds insulting out of context. However, the basic concept, that Islamic insurgencies have the potential to communicate and organize internationally is a FACT. Just look at the Philippines, also in SE Asia.

The article as written is a mess. Nobody is denying that problems in the south could be escalated by outside influences. This is not exactly a new theory as it has been around for many years.

The Global Research in International Affairs (Gloria) Centre is a pro Israeli biased organization that finds evidence of conspiracy and evil in anything related to Islam. I have nothing against Israelis but GLORIA's opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

The Global Research in International Affairs (Gloria) Centre is a pro Israeli biased organization that finds evidence of conspiracy and evil in anything related to Islam. I have nothing against Israelis but GLORIA's opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

..hehe, and the spokesman's name is "Spyer". Shouldn't that just be "Spy".

Yes, it would be more informative to hear about more specific intelligence. But the basic premise by Gloria about the potential alliance of violent Muslim insurgents in south Thailand to militant Islamist groups in other countries is most certainly possible. Lets not pretend that this (a violent separatist movement) isn't a serious problem for Thailand that has gone on for decades and shows no sign of improving anytime soon. Just because they are from Israel and I know how popular Israel is (ha ha) doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong, now does it?

Edited by Jingthing

gotta say i am surprised the muslims have not targeted decadent pattaya, bali style

.... you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes (counterintelligence - countersurveillance wise) to prevent just such a thing happening - it is the Samnakaogrong Hangshaat's and Counter Terrorism Agencie's big nightmare. Phuket gets the biggest slice of the domestic intelligence budget - even bigger than Yala province!

God forbid another "Bali".

gotta say i am surprised the muslims have not targeted decadent pattaya, bali style

.... you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes (counterintelligence - countersurveillance wise) to prevent just such a thing happening - it is the Samnakaogrong Hangshaat's and Counter Terrorism Agencie's big nightmare. Phuket gets the biggest slice of the domestic intelligence budget - even bigger than Yala province!

God forbid another "Bali".

I never thought it was a good idea to talk about what they could be doing, so I haven't since my first post. But you mentioned it and, yes, it is very surprising that the focus of the attacks continues to be in a place nobody really cares about.

To date, it has been like a "fart in a wind." Unpleasant, but goes away quickly. That could change.

No doubt many security officials are worried that the now inept unit of "terrorists" in the south will link up with the more professional, big money terrorists abroad.

If that happens, Phuket and Pattaya and Hua Hin and Bangkok will be prime targets.

We can only hope that will not happen.

This explains fairly well that what happens i the south is quite different from the "jihad" of the Islamic Fanatics....other wise there would be much stronger evidence of "intruders" and as recent developments show the tactics are becoming more frightening clubbing defenseless (thai) women teachers to death, the shooting of Buddhist monks - it's more ethnic cleaning then e religious conflict or part of the "www.jihad"....there is reasonable doubt that the perpetrators ran out of bullets...

Edited by Samuian

:)

Al-Queda trying to form alliences with other Islamist radical groups? Rather "old news" now don't you think? Hasn't that been going on for at least 5 years or more? Exampe: Al-Queda in the Magreb (known as AQIM) in North Africa uniting groups in Algeria,Morroco, and Tunisia.

Actually, in regard to the "Insurgency" in Southern Thailand....it has roots that go back to the 60's or 70's. Back then the Pattani United Liberation Front was backed by Libya and oil money.

Now the leadership consists of an "old school" hard core who have links back to the old PULF days. They are being challenged by a more radical youmger group who support the Indonesian (remember the Bali bombings?) Muslim radical groups.

So far the old school leadership has managed to keep the younger radiacls out of the leadership. How long that will last, no one knows. That is the reason why there are attacks such as those on teachers and girls schools or school childrn on their way to school. Such attacks are not approved of by the old line leadership, but the younger radicals are foaming at the mouth to have a more "active" insurrection.

We will just have to standby, and see who comes out on top in the end.

:D

uch attacks are not approved of by the old line leadership, but the younger radicals are foaming at the mouth to have a more "active" insurrection.

So are you saying that it is this newer wing that would be more likely to ally itself with international violent radical Islamist groups? Sounds like it.

Spot on, and to add, how bent is that perspective coming out of Israel?

Thailand's minister's reaction was that it's best that foreign entities (Israel, the U.S.) stay out of this problem in Thailand. It will escalate if those types of powers decide to intervene.

The Sultanate of Pattani. Only when Thailand comes up with a state system that returns these lands to these people and lets them rule and educate their people as they see fit, there will always be trouble here.