Neighborhoods In Thailand

G'day,

I struggle to find any areas in Chiang Mai where one can consider a "good" neighborhood; good in terms of aesthetics.

More often than not, I find some nice houses along a good dual carriageway road, but then one block down the road is pot-holed or dusty. Or some workshop that is completely messy and all its gory mess is out for all to see, perhaps even spilled onto the "sidewalks".

I saw a nice looking community with fountains at its entrance etc, but just on the road leading to it, people dumb their rubbish at the side of it.

Like LA where there are many "bad" neighborhoods, there are still places like Beverly Hills and Pasadena which are nice.

Is Bangkok the capital like that too? In front of a nice and new condominium, you have tin-roof shacks or street vendors lining the sidewalks just outside its compounds?

Some of our friends told us we must go south to places like Phuket and Samui. Yes it is pricey, but that's where we can find what we are looking for.

Thanks

Matt

In every major city in a developing country you won’t find “nice neighborhoods” that stand alone. You will find very nice gated developments out in the suburbs. But within the city itself, the most you will find is small gated compounds that you cannot see from the street and cannot get into unless you live there or are a guest.

TH

Go to Palm Hills Golf Course. That is near Hua Hin and is a very attractive development with no rubbish or dumps to be found. there are a couple of houses that the developer apparently abandoned before finishing that don't look to flash. You can get in if you leave your id at the gate and tell them you are going to the clubhouse.

Go to Palm Hills Golf Course. That is near Hua Hin and is a very attractive development with no rubbish or dumps to be found. there are a couple of houses that the developer apparently abandoned before finishing that don't look to flash. You can get in if you leave your id at the gate and tell them you are going to the clubhouse.

Wow, the Palm Crescent and the Palm Springs Inspired houses look really nice. Modern and not individually fenced up or gated.

Abandoned houses are a bit of a worry though, but we'll sure go take a look when we go down south.

thanks

Matt

Edited by st11x

Palm Springs in Chiang Mai,

I don't know any better in the city, with regard to landscaping, wide roads and swimming pool, but I'd like to if anyone has suggestions.

Regards Bojo

post-75277-1247555107_thumb.jpg

Palm Springs in Chiang Mai,

I don't know any better in the city, with regard to landscaping, wide roads and swimming pool, but I'd like to if anyone has suggestions.

Regards Bojo

It's one of the reasons why we are currently renting here :) It's nice in itself, but just outside, even walking to the 7-eleven is a game of guts. Then you have the usual dusty roads, workshops, etc lining the road, but not as bad as elsewhere I have seen.

The community itself has many run down dilapidated houses (either owing to the lack of occupancy or the owners just don't care) which is a shame really. Also, many undeveloped plots with overgrown grasses that are very unsightly. Would have thought that at least within a community, there would be rules about repainting, trimming overgrown gardens, must build within a year, etc ... that kind of regulations in place.