Retirement Extensions Using "combo" Method

OK, this has been asked before and people didn't know for sure, so I am asking yet again.

At some but not all offices, when doing retirement extensions using the 800K in the bank only, the money must be seasoned for three months (two months the first time). However, having an embassy letter showing income/pension with an embassy letter (using the combo method) nulls that money seasoning requirement for the bank account portion of the combo.

And now for the 64 baht question, supposing your embassy letter only showed annual income of 30,000 baht and you used money in the bank account to top it to 800K. Would that small amount in the letter work to make the money seasoning requirement null, or not?

Edited by Jingthing

In every report I have seen it has. The 2/3 month rule is only listed for using the 800k bank deposit method - it is not listed for the combined method.

Yes I know but as we also know enforcement is at the discretion of the officer, I wonder if using an embassy letter with a tiny amount would be seen as gaming them. If they were strictly following the rules as a minimum isn't written about the embassy letter, of course it would be treated a normal combo. The question is, in real life, would it be or not.

Edited by Mario2008
off topic comment deleted

In every report I have seen it has. The 2/3 month rule is only listed for using the 800k bank deposit method - it is not listed for the combined method.

Yes I know but as we also know enforcement is at the discretion of the officer, I wonder if using an embassy letter with a tiny amount would be seen as gaming them. If they were strictly following the rules as a minimum isn't written about the embassy letter, of course it would be treated a normal combo. The question is, in real life, would it be or not.

Works for me! I have only a 'tiny' pension of around 36000 Baht/month and top this up with a balance in a Thai Bank and have had no problems for the last two years, with no seasoning required. (Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration)

Corollary question: Once a letter is notarized by US Embassy,

how long does it remain effective? That is, if I get such an

income letter next week, can I use it when extending my

one-year 'retirement' visa next January?

Works for me! I have only a 'tiny' pension of around 36000 Baht/month and top this up with a balance in a Thai Bank and have had no problems for the last two years, with no seasoning required. (Pattaya/Jomtien Immigration

No that is typical. I am talking about a letter showing 30K - 40k per year, not per month! BTW, Jomtien currently does not require money seasoning for subsequent extensions but that can always change.

Once a letter is notarized by US Embassy,

how long does it remain effective?

Good question.

Edited by Jingthing