Foreigner Arrested In Online Scam

george

Arrest made in online scam

Police yesterday arrested a Liberian national for an alleged online scam, which had cost victims large sums of money, they said.

Stanley Niedujnr, 27, denied fraud and other offences under a computerrelated act after he was arrested in Bangkok's Wang Thonglang district. There were no details about the total amount of money he had allegedly obtained from the victims, or how many, or their nationalities.

Crime Suppression Police, who had been pursuing Niedujnr following an arrest warrant for him issued last year, said the suspect randomly emailed people in nine countries telling them that they had won a prize in a USbased lottery worth US$800,000, and told them they had to pay a Bt20,000 fee to facilitate the transfer of the prize money.

When victims quizzed him by email about the prolonged transactions, police said Niedujnr told them that the money had been seized by the Antimoney Laundering Office, which eventually prompted an investigation into the victims' complaints.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-15

I can't believe there are such a stupid people that trust to the email messages !

This guy (scammer) has given a big lesson to the ripped off people...but he's also stupid....because of the procedure that he did.

suggestion to the next scammer....learn how does telnet works :_)

Arrest made in online scam

Police yesterday arrested a Liberian national for an alleged online scam, which had cost victims large sums of money, they said.

Stanley Niedujnr, 27, denied fraud and other offences under a computerrelated act after he was arrested in Bangkok's Wang Thonglang district. There were no details about the total amount of money he had allegedly obtained from the victims, or how many, or their nationalities.

Crime Suppression Police, who had been pursuing Niedujnr following an arrest warrant for him issued last year, said the suspect randomly emailed people in nine countries telling them that they had won a prize in a USbased lottery worth US$800,000, and told them they had to pay a Bt20,000 fee to facilitate the transfer of the prize money.

When victims quizzed him by email about the prolonged transactions, police said Niedujnr told them that the money had been seized by the Antimoney Laundering Office, which eventually prompted an investigation into the victims' complaints.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-15

This Liberian gentlemen had a good a Nigerian teacher... my guess :)

yep: i gogled it and

Spam levels have increased by 5.1% since last month, reaching heights of 90.4%, according to latest report from Symantec's MessageLabs Intelligence.

While Spam levels in Hong Kong rose by 2.4% in May to 92.3%, positioning it as the most spammed country, spam levels in the UK fell to 90.3% and spam levels in the US rose to 86.6% and 85.2% in Canada. The study also reports Germany's spam rate reached 84.8%; 82.4% in the Netherlands; 89.7% in Australia; 91.1% in China; and 88.5% in Japan.

is it true that 90% of all email now is spam.

This is from my e-mail server at the university.

Total messages handled 75,663 Msgs handled successfully 65,691

Spam received 58,117 Spam rate 88.47%

Virus infected emails 146 Infection rate 0.22%

Isn't the internet a wonderful medium.

I think that the use of 'foreigner' in any post or thread is only perpetuating the xenophobia here in Thailand. On this subject, the subject is African or Liberian but not a 'foreigner' as stated as this implies a blanket not-so-good-as-us tag.

Most other websites these days have realized that you cannot do this innate Thai 'foreigner' labeling so I really think ThaiVisa should adopt the same fair policy and avoid such titles easy as they are to pick up living here :)

I think that the use of 'foreigner' in any post or thread is only perpetuating the xenophobia here in Thailand. On this subject, the subject is African or Liberian but not a 'foreigner' as stated as this implies a blanket not-so-good-as-us tag.

Most other websites these days have realized that you cannot do this innate Thai 'foreigner' labeling so I really think ThaiVisa should adopt the same fair policy and avoid such titles easy as they are to pick up living here :)

Isn't the internet a wonderful medium.

Yes it saves 1,000's that they would have to pay on stamps

Edited by colino

Good point, you would never see a headline "foreigner arrested " in the UK or USA me thinks,.if he had been white maybe the headline would have been "another farang arrested " it would not surprise me,. Edited by imaneggspurt

Dear Ed, I can only asked if you came home very late and started posting without thinking the article through? I for one want to know if a foreigner was involved in any crime either as a victim or a suspect. Your same argument has been used unsuccessfully many times by the super politically correct about the use of the term farang. How anyone can be hurt physically or emotionally by common general terms is beyond me.

The word foreigner was replaced by the state of origin just a few words down the road. Your call for Thai Visa rules to excise this "not so good as us tag" is ludicrous IMHO. Do we have to be so politically correct really?

Alas in the last 24 hours I have had first hand experience of what these guys are getting up to. A close friend of my wife in BKK called her 10 days ago saying she had met a man on the internet a Mr Alex Smith. A wonderful man who she has been speaking to via yahoo chat and on the telephone, and he is coming out to Thailand to meet her family and this could be Mr Right!!

She sent copies of their chat on the forum and asked if I would read it and let her know what I think of him. Having read 10 A4 pages of chat I said I felt very uncomfortable about him. For an 'American' (i mean someone for whom engish is supposed to be the mother tongue , so no jokes) his grammar was very poor as was his spelling and he was asking too many questions about the financial status of her and her mum (they are very well off). I said please be very careful. He 'owned' a clothes factory in the US and travelled to the UK a lot and was currently there. She could not get me the name of his clothes factory or the hotel he was staying in in the UK, but he must have been there as she had called him on a UK number!! The next thing i know yesterday is she is a bit concerned about $2000 she must Western Union to the CFO of a bank in order that he will release a security code so that she can transfer back money she has already Western Unioned to 'Alex'!!!! <deleted>! I said what money, she said oh it was only $300, his cards were not working in London and he asked if she would Western Union one of his workers in NIGERIA, so the worker could western Union that and more to him.OMG! So she had done. He then sends her a bank website to enter his details and Pin. Just before she can press enter to complete the transferit it says please enter the bank security code!! She doesnt have it, asks the love of her life, he says email the bank, she gets the letter pasted below. Alex then says to send the western union to his worker in Nigeria again. She was hours away from doing it. I logged in to her yahoo chat and pretended to be her for a while until he lost it as my questions became more difficult. I then told him in no uncertain terms what i thought of this b*****d preying on vulnerable women. As you imagine she is now gutted, feels wrecked, stupid etc etc.

I have all the website details, emails with isp's etc and the numbers in the UK appear to be Skype numbers. Anybody any ideas where I start with sending these details to nail this b*****d. I don't hold out much hope and have told her she is lucky to have lost just $300.

Is love totally blind or what???

this is the SCAM website http://swisscreditob.com/vlogin/ a simple Google of the contact details would have been enough, then again to someone who speaks english as language number 2 or 3 this site appears ok.

The email she got from the 'bank'

To:

Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 6:02:46 PM

Subject: Regarding E-Banking Security Code..

Dear *******, We have recieved your mail regarding the e-banking security code alert which you recieved while trying to make the transfer from your location.Sorry for the delay in this email we were trying to confirm from the account holder Mr Alexander Smith if he authorised the transfer, after confirmation we have resolved to provide you with information regarding the e-banking security code. Kindly note that when making an internation transfer from the an account to your location in ******, thailand a code will be required for the transfer to be completed which is called the e-banking security code and charges will be required for this code. The charges for the e-banking security code is $2000 (two thousand dollars), as soon as you pay this fee the code will be sent to you and the transfer will be processed after you put the code for the transfer to be completed. You are required to make payment to our chief accountant via western Union using the information below: Name: Paul Robinson Amount: $2,000 Country : United Kingdom As soon as you make payment, send the MTCN and the senders information to us and after confirmation of payment the code will be sent to you via email.. Best Regards, Phillip Martins, Chief Financial Officer Swiss Credits Bank Email: [email protected]

Unbloody-believable!

Edited by Tigs

Alas in the last 24 hours I have had first hand experience of what these guys are getting up to. A close friend of my wife in BKK called her 10 days ago saying she had met a man on the internet a Mr Alex Smith. A wonderful man who she has been speaking to via yahoo chat and on the telephone, and he is coming out to Thailand to meet her family and this could be Mr Right!!

I know of 2 other Thai women who have fallen for a similar 'scam'. Unfortunately I did not get involved in the process until after they has sent some small amounts of money to the people in question, but I did manage to stop them from sending what would next be some rather large sums.

I understand their desire to find "Mr. Right", but I don't understand why they would send money to someone they effectively don't know at all aside from a few conversations online or on the phone. When I talked things through with them to try to understand their logic for doing this, they really couldn't understand why they had actually sent money to a stranger and were obviously upset and annoyed with themselves.

So, for all the women (and men) out there that get involved in something like this . . . think carefully, do some research, get someone else involved to look over things, and think carefully once more before doing ANYTHING.

Tats