Atm Fees

westbounder

slightly off topic but still in the same area

i was lucky as i bought in 400 odd thousand baht into thailand through nationwide about a month ago and got it at 55 . who cares

today i see the gb pound is down to 52. who cares

<deleted> Happend in a month ????

dave2

i think presenting a cheque takes upto 6 weeks, however as i havn't tried it yet i can't comment on whether they give you the dosh instantly or you have to wait until the cheque clears.

I've done that several times including just last week. They quote 45 days as a standard response but my experience they have all cleared the account in 3 weeks. No instant cash with an out of country check. What you have been doing is using the Visa card through cash advance channels. So can see why some were confused about your comment of using it inside the bank as it suggests an inside bank ATM there would be no charge as opposed to outside.

understand your point, to clarify it, no there are no atm machines inside the bank, you go to the counter and withdraw what you want, and sign the necessary paperwork.

The GSB ATM (Government Savings Bank) in Airport Plaza do not have the 150 bt service charge as of this weekend. The receipt also indicates a 0 baht fee.

Unfortunately, GSB is now charging the 150baht fee.

AEON is the last holdout still not charging 150Baht.

The GSB ATM (Government Savings Bank) in Airport Plaza do not have the 150 bt service charge as of this weekend. The receipt also indicates a 0 baht fee.

A word of warning!! Don't go to Aeon on the first day or the last day of the month. That is when the Thais must make their payments. They always wait until the last minute. Last month I went there on the 1st and there was 32 people in line ahead of me!

No, I didn't wait. I went back the next day.

A word of warning!! Don't go to Aeon on the first day or the last day of the month. That is when the Thais must make their payments. They always wait until the last minute. Last month I went there on the 1st and there was 32 people in line ahead of me!

Thanks for the heads up.

• 4 weeks later...

As Confucius said:"Not nececelery so." I went to the AEON Spot on 4th. floor of Tesco Lotus in Pin Klao and I withdrew THB6,000 (the maximum on the screen) using the Thai interface. There was no notice of the 150 We hate charge. I got my money and went home. They are sneaky. My bank showed the transaction as a PIN transaction and no charge on the US Bank end. But the rate of exchange was lower. After computing the difference I saw that it was exactly... you guessed it! 150 Baht! One has to hand it to them: they know many ways of performing a cashectomy on Farangs. Pisico. :)

As Confucius said:"Not nececelery so." I went to the AEON Spot on 4th. floor of Tesco Lotus in Pin Klao and I withdrew THB6,000 (the maximum on the screen) using the Thai interface. There was no notice of the 150 We hate charge. I got my money and went home. They are sneaky. My bank showed the transaction as a PIN transaction and no charge on the US Bank end. But the rate of exchange was lower. After computing the difference I saw that it was exactly... you guessed it! 150 Baht! One has to hand it to them: they know many ways of performing a cashectomy on Farangs. Pisico. :)

I actually suspected that. My withdrawals using my Maestro card seemed off to me when I checked them with my monthly statements but I couldn't be bothered to sit down and calculate exactly what was off. You can withdraw more than 6000 Baht from Aeon. I believe 20,000 is the maximum.

There was a big sign on the AEON ATM in Lotus a couple days ago saying they added the 150b charge. I didn't check it since I only take out money once a month. Blah. They were the last bank standing. I did some looking around that day and Siam Commercial Bank had the best rates of the 6 banks I checked. Has anyone noticed which banks usually have the best rate?

There was a big sign on the AEON ATM in Lotus a couple days ago saying they added the 150b charge. I didn't check it since I only take out money once a month. Blah. They were the last bank standing. I did some looking around that day and Siam Commercial Bank had the best rates of the 6 banks I checked. Has anyone noticed which banks usually have the best rate?

Foreign VISA debit card:

Sat 24 Oct - no fee at AEON ATM 2nd floor Airport plaza

Sun 01 Nov - no fee at AYUDAH ATM Big C Chiang Rai (should you be in the area of course)

To all of you that plan on staying in thailand a long time, Open a thai bank account transfer a lump sum and draw on that with no charge.

Even if you use an atm that charges you from your thai bank account that is much cheaper than farang witrhdrawal from atm.

To all of you that plan on staying in thailand a long time, Open a thai bank account transfer a lump sum and draw on that with no charge.

Even if you use an atm that charges you from your thai bank account that is much cheaper than farang witrhdrawal from atm.

Well I agree with this statement but some of us don't have bottomless "lump sums" and instead have funds that come in to foreign bank accounts weekly, twice a month, etc. I sometimes need to go to an ATM once or twice a week as funds come available. So the 150 Baht fees certainly add up. Whenever I get a lump sum I always wire transfer it to my Kasikorn account. But that may only be a couple of times per year. Now there is nowhere left to withdraw funds without paying the 150 Baht.

Been trying to tell this ATM story to deaf ears....this guy has it right.

Yup, absolutely right on.

And I can add, if you transfer enough in a large sum (say over $5000 USD) the cost basis goes down to less than 1/2 of 1 percent.

Then use the ATM machines of the Thai bank you hold monies in, for no charge, except for the standard 100 B/year ATM fee charged by banks here.

:D

FYI went to Tesco Hang Dong Road today to AEON machine to draw cash and looked for sign re charges.

No signs whatsoever so approached a nice looking young lady member of staff and asked her if she knew anything. She went to her boss and returned to say no charge for withdrawals YET.

Withdrew 15,000 Baht and sure enough no 150 Baht charge. Don't know if this is just a branch that hasn't caught up yet or what but thought it worth mentioning.

FYI went to Tesco Hang Dong Road today to AEON machine to draw cash and looked for sign re charges.

No signs whatsoever so approached a nice looking young lady member of staff and asked her if she knew anything. She went to her boss and returned to say no charge for withdrawals YET.

Withdrew 15,000 Baht and sure enough no 150 Baht charge. Don't know if this is just a branch that hasn't caught up yet or what but thought it worth mentioning.

I am just curious, did you determine this, by going to your online account and doing the math to determine the rate or because the fee did not appear on the receipt.

Their receipt in the past never referred to the word "fee" while the other banks printed the fee = 0 even when there was none.