Atm Fees

westbounder

The only one that I've heard of is UOB near Makro. This was told to me three weeks ago. It may have changed by now.

With regards to the other banks, SCB allows only 20 000 baht withdrawal maximums while Bangkok Bank allows 25 000 baht so this may help you to save some expenses.

Hi westbounder,

Like earlofwindermere posted, UOB. However there are more locations than the Makro branch. There is one on Thanon Huay Kaew; kind of across from Hillside and there is one at Siam Electric Plaza.

But just so you know, the fees are pretty much hidden in the rate of exchange. I've checked against two other banks and UOB is the worst rate of exchange. There was a big debate about this in the banking forum. Best to limit your withdrawls to once a month or so and get as much cash as you may need for the month.

One of those other banks that you mentioned - can't remember if its Aeon or the other one, does not take all ATM cards. You have to check the symbols on the card and at the ATM. My main ATM card has a Maestro logo and can't be used at all ATM's. No problem at UOB. Again, check the banking forum as it has been discussed in detail in several threads.

One of those other banks that you mentioned - can't remember if its Aeon or the other one, does not take all ATM cards. You have to check the symbols on the card and at the ATM. My main ATM card has a Maestro logo and can't be used at all ATM's. No problem at UOB. Again, check the banking forum as it has been discussed in detail in several threads.

Based on my experiences with all three named banks' (Aeon, GSB and UOB) ATMs using two UK-issued cards (Visa Debit & Cirrus Cashcard), it's only GSB that won't accept Cirrus/Maestro/MasterCard-based cards. Some Aeon machines appear to be limited to 7,000 baht withdrawals - and (I assume) all machines will be limited by whatever is the baht equivalent of your home bank's daily allowed figure as well as the number of notes/bills it will issue in one transaction - commonly 20 (therefore 20,000 baht maximum)

As noted, this subject is covered in major detail in the banking forum. The main thread there is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-Banks-S...it-t255263.html - very long but worth scanning through if you want to discover how/where to avoid the 150 baht fee as well as certain other wrinkles that have emerged.

One other point: the consensus appears to be that the exchange rate applied is set by your home bank and not by the bank whose ATM you are using. If that's the case, a UOB ATM withdrawal made at the same time as an Aeon or GSB withdrawal with the same type of card will get the same exchange rate.

But - may I suggest that this thread in the CM forum does not continue to duplicate what is already covered exhaustively in the thread named above. For the benefit of CM members seeking locations of UOB/GSB/Aeon ATMs - those are available from the banks' own websites as follows:

http://www.aeonthailand.com/lang/en/menu/S...orthern#soutput

http://www.gsb.or.th/contact/branches/list...D=37&R_ID=1 (in Thai)

https://ereport.uob.co.th/BranchService/Fro...sp?region=North

Edited by Steve2UK

AEON, UOB and GSB ATMs (Government Savings Bank) do not have the 150 bt service charge
Are there any banks in Chiang Mai not charging foreign ATM transaction fees?

Neither was Bank of Ayuthyea (the yellow bank) when I last used them 10 days ago.

AEON, UOB and GSB ATMs (Government Savings Bank) do not have the 150 bt service charge
Are there any banks in Chiang Mai not charging foreign ATM transaction fees?

Neither was Bank of Ayuthyea (the yellow bank) when I last used them 10 days ago.

As noted here and in the banking sub-forum thread, Ayuthaya is very hit and miss - some of their ATMs do and and some don't (and possibly even varies at the same ATM on different occasions).

• 2 months later...

doppa.

re .... those who have uk cheque books, can also cash cheques

i have two uk cheque books here that ive not used for nearly five years

so how does this system work ?

i assume you give the bank here your cheque for say five thousand quid ..... they send it to england for clearance and you get the money here about two weeks later .... is that how it works ??

if not .... how does it ?

just interested .... dave2

The GSB ATM (Government Savings Bank) in Airport Plaza do not have the 150 bt service charge as of this weekend. The receipt also indicates a 0 baht fee.

BUT, they ONLY take ATM cards with a Visa logo. How many debit cards from Europe or the USA have a Visa logo? I don't know of any. To the best of my knowledge all USA ATM cards sport the MasterCard logo. My main debit card from my bank in Europe has a Maestro logo. So basically that means that you can use your Thai based ATM card there that has a Visa logo.

How many debit cards from Europe or the USA have a Visa logo? I don't know of any. To the best of my knowledge all USA ATM cards sport the MasterCard logo.

You are misinformed then. My US Debit card is VISA logo. Most US banks can supply VISA debit cards, also called check cards.

The GSB ATM (Government Savings Bank) in Airport Plaza do not have the 150 bt service charge as of this weekend. The receipt also indicates a 0 baht fee.

BUT, they ONLY take ATM cards with a Visa logo. How many debit cards from Europe or the USA have a Visa logo? I don't know of any. To the best of my knowledge all USA ATM cards sport the MasterCard logo. My main debit card from my bank in Europe has a Maestro logo. So basically that means that you can use your Thai based ATM card there that has a Visa logo.

Citibank UK debit card has a visa logo,

Lloyds TSB UK debit card has a visa logo.

Must be many more...

Edited by davee58

How many debit cards from Europe or the USA have a Visa logo? I don't know of any. To the best of my knowledge all USA ATM cards sport the MasterCard logo.

You are misinformed then. My US Debit card is VISA logo. Most US banks can supply VISA debit cards, also called check cards.

I haven't lived in the USA for about 8 years now. So things have apparently changed since I was there.

An ATM card is not a debit card. It is what it is named.... an ATM card.

MSPain

What exactly is a debit card? In my earlier post I was referring to an "ATM card" where your bank account gets debited; not a credit card. I thought "debit" cards and "ATM" cards where the same thing. Sorry if I was wrong about that.

I haven't lived in the USA for about 8 years now. So things have apparently changed since I was there.

Hello, Electric.

I worked in a financial institution until about 12 years ago. One of my responsibilities was "plastic" (financial account access plastic cards). I have not found much difference up until now.

An ATM card is for accessing an ATM. If an institution has the resources and deems it financially/benefit feasible, they may have their proprietary plastic for ATM cards. They are for accessing ATM machines.

A debit card is used to "debit" an account, usually a checking account. These can also be proprietary, however, in my experience it is more financially/benefit feasible for the institution to get a Visa/Mastercard/etc. branded proprietary card for this purpose. These can usually be used just as a "credit" card. The difference being it is a "debit" against a deposit type account, not a charge against a credit line or revolving credit account.

MSPain

Edited by hml367

yes Doppa. Please elaborate how to use an ATM card inside a bank and not get dinged for a fee.

Likewise I'd like to know how that is possible.

Just present your card and passport at the counter and ask for a cash advance. They swipe your card and you sign a slip, just as you would in a shop. Can be done with a credit or debit card. SCB has a maximum transaction level of 200,000Bt per day, not sure about other banks. You can take cash or put the funds into a Thai bank account. No fee for this service.

Edited by KhunDave

For US Citizens (or those who may have an eTRADE Brokerage/Bank in their home country), eTRADE Bank does NOT charge for withdrawals from ANY ATM machine anywhere AND they refund any charges the bank may charge for use of their ATM.

Can't be beat if you can get it!!!!

For US Citizens (or those who may have an eTRADE Brokerage/Bank in their home country), eTRADE Bank does NOT charge for withdrawals from ANY ATM machine anywhere AND they refund any charges the bank may charge for use of their ATM.

I think I posted this to the other 8 threads on the same subject -- Charles Schwab has the same deal with their ATM/debit cards. All ATM fees are rebated.

To answer some of the above questions all of my ATM cards -- Charles Schwab, Commerce Bank and TD Bank -- all have a Visa logo. All were issued with the option of being just an ATM card, or with the ability to use them as a Debit card too. It's possible that as a straight ATM card it wouldn't have the visa logo.

I think I posted this to the other 8 threads on the same subject -- Charles Schwab has the same deal with their ATM/debit cards. All ATM fees are rebated.

To answer some of the above questions all of my ATM cards -- Charles Schwab, Commerce Bank and TD Bank -- all have a Visa logo. All were issued with the option of being just an ATM card, or with the ability to use them as a Debit card too. It's possible that as a straight ATM card it wouldn't have the visa logo.

Hello, Jefe.

The big difference with a proprietary ATM card and a Visa branded card used in an ATM is that a proprietary card does not go through the Visa system... BIG difference.

MSPain

sorry chaps had a looooooooong nap, ok all i did was present my card at the bank,[ mines a visa debit card that i also use as a atm card] along with passport, signed the obligatory paperwork, and bingo, i think presenting a cheque takes upto 6 weeks, however as i havn't tried it yet i can't comment on whether they give you the dosh instantly or you have to wait until the cheque clears.

i think presenting a cheque takes upto 6 weeks, however as i havn't tried it yet i can't comment on whether they give you the dosh instantly or you have to wait until the cheque clears.

I've done that several times including just last week. They quote 45 days as a standard response but my experience they have all cleared the account in 3 weeks. No instant cash with an out of country check. What you have been doing is using the Visa card through cash advance channels. So can see why some were confused about your comment of using it inside the bank as it suggests an inside bank ATM there would be no charge as opposed to outside.