Jomtien Bound Baht Buses From Pattaya Tai

Jingthing

If you take one of the queue buses, how far down Jomtien will they usually go before making a stink and trying to make it a charter taxi? As far as Soi Chayaphruek?

They are supposed to go as far as Soi Chayapreuk, but if you are a lone farang, the driver will pop his head out of the cab and ask you where you are going.

If the bus is half full: No problem, he continues to Soi Chayapreuk.

The worst case scenerio is get out, pay 10 Baht, and either walk or hail another songthaew for another 10 baht.

Really it's a lottery. I used to get mad, these days I just walk if it stops and tell myself the extra walking will do me good.

Yeah, I used to get upset at the drivers when they started to play the old stop and indicate they need more money than 10 bht. They do this by stopping and asking where you go. Now, I just hand over the 10 bht get out and start walking. Usually another bus comes along. Doesnt pay to get upset or argue with them. A lot of them are over worked and wired to boot.

some times I even try to ask how far they are going before I get on.

If you take one of the queue buses, how far down Jomtien will they usually go before making a stink and trying to make it a charter taxi? As far as Soi Chayaphruek?

They are supposed to go as far as Soi Chayapreuk, but if you are a lone farang, the driver will pop his head out of the cab and ask you where you are going.

If the bus is half full: No problem, he continues to Soi Chayapreuk.

The worst case scenerio is get out, pay 10 Baht, and either walk or hail another songthaew for another 10 baht.

Really it's a lottery. I used to get mad, these days I just walk if it stops and tell myself the extra walking will do me good.

They hate going that far along. They might even lose face and ask other Thais where they are going. Westerners will get the charter <deleted>.

Get another one ? You might still be there now from last Xmas.

Yeah, I used to get upset at the drivers when they started to play the old stop and indicate they need more money than 10 bht. They do this by stopping and asking where you go. Now, I just hand over the 10 bht get out and start walking. Usually another bus comes along. Doesnt pay to get upset or argue with them. A lot of them are over worked and wired to boot.

some times I even try to ask how far they are going before I get on.

On Beach Road, I'd ask if they were going to Jomtien (used to live in VT2) but have had them stop near Arab town and I've gotten on, only for them to either refuse to drive or drive 100m and stop, then ask where I was going. The fact that there is really only one way for them to go, towards Jomtien, escapes them. I do know where they could go but Jomtien is the 99% destination.

Overworked ? If they made no money, they would do something else.

Better off getting a moto-bike taxi.

Oh pleeze (sic).

Why is it WHENEVER anyone is talking about problems with baht buses, do people think they need to suggest using cars, motos, or moto taxis? How many times when people talk about problems with private vehicles, do people say take the bus?

Hint: many, many of us HATE taking moto taxis and find them unsafe not to mention even if they give you a cheap helmet to wear they often carry LICE.

Edited by Jingthing

I have had problems with the baht buses like coming from Jomtien they refuse to go past Pattaya south (I was only passanger) and do a Uturn to get into the lineup for a return trip to Jomtien. They still expect the full payment but I was going to Pattaya Klang. I just got fed up with the headaches and rented a new Yamaha Nouvo scooter for 3000 baht per month and my headaches went away. I know many say it's too dangerous but have done this for years and never had an accident. I put 3,000km on the bike this spring and would never go back to the inconsistancies of the baht bus mafia. Plus I like the mobility of going to Naklua or Ban Saray for a day away from Jomtien. Moto taxis scare the hel_l out of me.

I just got fed up with the headaches and rented a new Yamaha Nouvo scooter for 3000 baht per month and my headaches went away.

There it is again. The topic is about BAHT BUSES.

How about this one? I have a problem with my condo. Shall I buy a tent?

Edited by Jingthing

In my experience, if you're on your own, they are unlikely to take you much beyond Soi Whitehouse. Sometimes they already start arguing after they've turned the bend at the Dongtan Beach police box onto the Beach Road. I don't like it, in fact when it happens to me I get pretty uptight, but with a cooler head I don't really blame them. They're trying to fill their family's rice bowls, and taking a single farang 3 km down Beach Road for 10 Baht (or for nothing, if they can get away with chucking you off at Dongtan Beach) isn't helping them do that.

About your condo Jingthing, keep buying bandaids to deal with the problems and don't deal with the real problem. A tent may be more practical for you. The issue is the baht buses and their inconsistencies.

Another tip is, when you are getting the baht bus from Pattaya Tai, in the queue, opt for a female driver and choose a baht bus heavily populated by Thai's rather than farang (who all seem to get off at Dongtahn Beach.)

Edited by syd barrett

Another tip is, when you are getting the baht bus from Pattaya Tai, in the queue, opt for a female driver and choose a baht bus heavily populated by Thai's rather than farang (who all seem to get off at Dongtahn Beach.)

A good observation and I think of merit. However the general thing is to take the bus that is filling up when you arrive. Unless it is a busy time it can be several minutes until the next one goes.

10 baht to Jomtien is reasonable. It may also be reasonable to demand an extra 10 baht to go far down Jomtien beach road. However. to get on a bus and be forced to convert it to a charter taxi is lousy.

About your condo Jingthing, keep buying bandaids to deal with the problems and don't deal with the real problem. A tent may be more practical for you. The issue is the baht buses and their inconsistencies.
Posting while drunk, always fun ... Edited by Jingthing

[A good observation and I think of merit. However the general thing is to take the bus that is filling up when you arrive. Unless it is a busy time it can be several minutes until the next one goes.

10 baht to Jomtien is reasonable. It may also be reasonable to demand an extra 10 baht to go far down Jomtien beach road. However. to get on a bus and be forced to convert it to a charter taxi is lousy.

Posting while drunk, always fun ...

There is a tentative ampersand resting upon the decision-making of songthaew facility advantages at the Pattaya Tai rank. As I said grab the nettle, if it stings and ejaculates you at the Dongtan end of Jomtien Beach Road, swallow the hurt and walk to Soi Chayapouen.

QUOTE (syd barrett @ 2009-07-19 17:20:46) *

"A good observation and I think of merit. However the general thing is to take the bus that is filling up when you arrive. Unless it is a busy time it can be several minutes until the next one goes."

Remember to keep your hand on your coin purse, eh JT :)

Edited by krading

.....some times I even try to ask how far they are going before I get on.

Don't do it! according to the police(Josh in particular) and the Baht Bus Cooperative, there is an untold rule that if you say anything at all to the driver, you will be then charged like if you hired the whole vehicle, nevermind if there are many other people sitting in the bus with you and he still do many stops and take more customers while he goes....hire your own vehicle instead, these drivers do not deserve any business....

....I just got fed up with the headaches and rented a new Yamaha Nouvo scooter for 3000 baht per month and my headaches went away.

wow that's amazing! i went for the same bike and for the same reason :)

Hint: many, many of us HATE taking moto taxis and find them unsafe not to mention even if they give you a cheap helmet to wear they often carry LICE.

If you have short cropped hair or bald, no worries about lice. Riding them is prob as safe as a baht bus for what its worth.

.....some times I even try to ask how far they are going before I get on.

Don't do it! according to the police(Josh in particular) and the Baht Bus Cooperative, there is an untold rule that if you say anything at all to the driver, you will be then charged like if you hired the whole vehicle, nevermind if there are many other people sitting in the bus with you and he still do many stops and take more customers while he goes....hire your own vehicle instead, these drivers do not deserve any business....

well you could have done better if you contacted me

i can let you have a suzuki step 125cc for 2500 baht per month

just leave a message.

....I just got fed up with the headaches and rented a new Yamaha Nouvo scooter for 3000 baht per month and my headaches went away.

wow that's amazing! i went for the same bike and for the same reason :)

well you could have done better if you contacted me

i can let you have a suzuki step 125cc for 2500 baht per month

just leave a message.

Thanks for the offer, i actually bought my one, however thinking about the 400 baht a day they are asking on Beach Road for a scooter, your offer might get many interested on it :)

Isn't there a biking forum on here someplace?

:D

Isn't there a whinging forum on here someplace?

:)

Point taken but I still don't get why people can't leave baht bus threads on topic to buses without pushing every other transport option in the world. The whining point is real though. If we are going to stick with the baht buses, we have to deal with them as they are, as they don't care what the users think. Also, of course, it is never a good idea to fight with baht bus drivers. A certain (large?) percentage are potentially violent.

Edited by Jingthing

In my experience, if you're on your own, they are unlikely to take you much beyond Soi Whitehouse. Sometimes they already start arguing after they've turned the bend at the Dongtan Beach police box onto the Beach Road. I don't like it, in fact when it happens to me I get pretty uptight, but with a cooler head I don't really blame them. They're trying to fill their family's rice bowls, and taking a single farang 3 km down Beach Road for 10 Baht (or for nothing, if they can get away with chucking you off at Dongtan Beach) isn't helping them do that.

Utter rubbish.

When you crunch the maths you come out with some surprising numbers. No wonder there are so many of the buggers.

The fact is that they operate on routes unless hired and that means taking the good with the bad. The trouble is that they want all the good but non of the bad and you, the passenger, have to pay. They have to assume the business risk and they don't like it.

The problem is that they are combo buses and taxis. A better system would be fewer baht buses that act ONLY AS BUSES with REGULATED routes mixed with a lot more taxi meters that are required to USE the meters. This was if you board a bus they would be obligated under law to finish their expected route and suffer losing their livelihood if they get too many complaints that they don't. This is such a simple fix. Yet the Pattaya government does NOTHING. With fewer buses on the road they would run fuller and the remaining drivers could make a good living being legit buses.

This would mean the buses would run on set LABELED routes. With such a system you could potentially pick up one bus and ride it from far out Jomtien to Naklua market. Yes, I think a bigger fare is reasonable for that, perhaps a ZONE system, again, not rocket science, it occurs in many cities.

The Pattaya government talks a good game about wanting to upgrade this resort. Pie in the sky, monorail, road expansions that take decades, but this SIMPLE FIX to make public transport much more civilized and much less potentially violent, again, NOTHING.

Yes as usual I do believe the baht bus situation and the potential introduction of REAL TAXI METERS is closely related. The owners of the baht buses and taxis think they same thing, they are OWNED by the same people!

Of course, it could be much worse. It could be PHUKET!

Edited by Jingthing

I agree regulated routes and TRULY metered taxis would help but for profit public transportation has lots of associated problems. Not exclusive to baht buses in Pattaya - Jomtien, tuk tuks in BKK, cyclo's in Vietnam or taxis in most western countries etc, etc. I realize others have to rely on baht buses here but SOME drivers are scamming, strongarming bandits that operate with no rules only self interest.

PS - I haven't been drinking. (wish I was)

Gerry

• 5 weeks later...

From the replies above, it appears that the B10 fare will take you from Pattaya Tai as far as Chaiyapruek. What is the fare if the bus continues farther? Say, if going to Metro Jomtien Condo, or all the way to the end of Jomtien Beach Road?