Motorcycle Taxi Karma?

phetaroi

Near the Rachawithi Skytrain station are always some motorcycle taxis that tend to terrorize people on the sidewalks. I've had to jump out of their way a number of times and I've even seen them bump into people.

Today, however, one was sprawled on the street, the "victim" of an accident. Quite a scene. Did I feel sorry for him? Well, I hope he wasn't badly hurt, but I also hope it might have taught him a lesson.

Near the Rachawithi Skytrain station are always some motorcycle taxis that tend to terrorize people on the sidewalks. I've had to jump out of their way a number of times and I've even seen them bump into people.

Today, however, one was sprawled on the street, the "victim" of an accident. Quite a scene. Did I feel sorry for him? Well, I hope he wasn't badly hurt, but I also hope it might have taught him a lesson.

Doubtful. Most Thai's generally believe their destiny is predetermined. They tend more to think that if anything happens to them, good or bad, it is a result of karma already accumulated, possibly in a previous life.

Thailand is surely the only place in the world whereby motorbikes are accepted on the pavements/sidewalks.

Sometimes it pisses me off! only that and wee plastic bag's

long live Thailand!

Edited by elevatorshoes

It is my observation that these riders are often a problem where ever they are. They are accidents waiting to happen really. I would recommend to anyone to never use them unless they are in a real big hurry and motor cycle taxi is their only effective alternative.

I find them as an obstructive, generally inconsiderate bunch. And beware, half the time they are drunk.

Thailand is surely the only place in the world whereby motorbikes are accepted on the pavements/sidewalks.

Sometimes it pisses me off! only that and wee plastic bag's

long live Thailand!

I am visiting my brother in Shanghai right now, trust me, Thailand is not the only place where motorbikes are ridden on the sidewalks!

Having grown up on the back of these things zig zagging my way across Bkk, I naturally progress to the footpath myself when the traffic on the roadway becomes too tight to negotiate.

You lot need to get a sense of adventure. Thank godness not everyone is from 'Imtoouptightsville' :)

Having grown up on the back of these things zig zagging my way across Bkk, I naturally progress to the footpath myself when the traffic on the roadway becomes too tight to negotiate.

You lot need to get a sense of adventure. Thank godness not everyone is from 'Imtoouptightsville' :)

And not everyone is a complete moron either!

You lot need to get a sense of adventure. Thank godness not everyone is from 'Imtoouptightsville' :D

:D Ohh Tanaka, don't be like that. Would you believe at certain times Police actually direct traffic onto the footpath to keep things moving. Like many old cities, Bangkok is struggling to move its 10 million plus people around from day to day. Not everyone that rides down the footpath does so in a dangerous manner.

It must be great being so high an almighty as to be able to judge all those below you. :)

The majority of motor bike taxi guys arent morons either!!!!

As with most things, there are both good and bad motorbike taxi drivers. In my experience they are 99.9% GOOD. I use them everyday and get an excellent value for money service. The guys I use, never drink and drive and never drive on the pavements either. I'm thinking the guys who are slating the "motosai" drivers are the ones who never (or are too scared) to use them! :)

I use the motorcycle taxis a lot in bangkok.

Usually offer them a few extra baht to get me quickly to my destination.

Great service, controlled agressive driving, never to the point of being silly in my experience.

Good adrenaline rush sometimes!

:)

Brigante7, Thats fairly ordinary advice to give, it could end up rather nasty.

I would suggest myself that people just take due care when moving about the city, as this is hardly a sleepy little town and occassionally the motorcycle taxis and others ride on the footpath.....heavens forbid, such an evil crime.

Live and let live, so many things annoy me (some more than others) whilst going about my daily business in Bkk. It's just a matter of trying to jai yen and give a little more consideration to others even if it is F**KING annoying!! :)

i find it hard to fathom the OP took time to report this incident.

Then again, aren't you a motorcycle enthusiast?

So I imagine you love a country where motorcycles ride the roads, ride the sidewalks, go the wrong way on the street, park in front of store entrances so no one can enter, exceed the speed limit considerably in city center, are often noisy polluters, regularly make pedestrians leap out of the way, bump into pedestrians, yell at pedestrians that are walking on a sidewalk, don't have to stay in the lane on a highway, can weave in and out of traffic in any which way they please because there is nothing more important than them on highways (or sidewalk), don't have to stop at stoplights, and who round corners without even looking to see if there might be a pedestrian or street peddler there.

There is nothing better than Speeding through bkk on the back of a motorbike taxi. but as a pedestrian, Jumping out of the way of a excessive speeding motorbike taxi on a busy sidewalk/pavement (to avoid injury) would piss anyone off!!

i find it hard to fathom the OP took time to report this incident.

Then again, aren't you a motorcycle enthusiast?

So I imagine you love a country where motorcycles ride the roads, ride the sidewalks, go the wrong way on the street, park in front of store entrances so no one can enter, exceed the speed limit considerably in city center, are often noisy polluters, regularly make pedestrians leap out of the way, bump into pedestrians, yell at pedestrians that are walking on a sidewalk, don't have to stay in the lane on a highway, can weave in and out of traffic in any which way they please because there is nothing more important than them on highways (or sidewalk), don't have to stop at stoplights, and who round corners without even looking to see if there might be a pedestrian or street peddler there.

Cars are 10 times worse then motorcycles the owners are complete morons. The only time here that traffic moves if the cops are here and make sure the cars dont double park in front of shops. They really dont want to walk even a meter. Real selfish ppl. Cars polute a lot more and waste a lot more gas too then motorcycles especially if only one person is driving them. Cars love to push motorcycles away. Cars love to scare pedestrians and dont care if lights are green.

For the motorcycles that drive on the wrong side of the road they are idiots same as those who dont stop at stoplights as they are just making sure they die young.

I believe motorcycles are alowed on the sidewalk so its legal to go there. (not that i ever go there). I love my bike but they should really ban cars when there is only one person inside. Would free up so much more space on the roads and help combat pollution too. (just countering the other posters rant with some crazy thoughts)

Cars are 10 times worse then motorcycles the owners are complete morons. The only time here that traffic moves if the cops are here and make sure the cars dont double park in front of shops. They really dont want to walk even a meter. Real selfish ppl. Cars polute a lot more and waste a lot more gas too then motorcycles especially if only one person is driving them. Cars love to push motorcycles away. Cars love to scare pedestrians and dont care if lights are green.

For the motorcycles that drive on the wrong side of the road they are idiots same as those who dont stop at stoplights as they are just making sure they die young.

I believe motorcycles are alowed on the sidewalk so its legal to go there. (not that i ever go there). I love my bike but they should really ban cars when there is only one person inside. Would free up so much more space on the roads and help combat pollution too. (just countering the other posters rant with some crazy thoughts)

I understand what you're saying, but...from the internet:

"Motorcycle accidents kill 27 people a day

According to the Public Health Ministry (PHM), motorcycle accidents claim the lives of 27 Thais and injure 438 every day. Of those drivers involved in accidents 80% were not wearing crash helmets.

The statistics released by the PHM stated that motorcycle accidents was one of the leading causes of deaths among Thais in 2005 with 159,867 severely injured and 9,877 killed. In 2006 - 164,836 were seriously injured and 8,908 were killed.

More than 50% died instantly at the scene of the accidents and were aged between 25-45 years of age.

Road and transport accidents were the second major cause of deaths among children after drowning, with 65% of the road accident deaths involved children as motorcycle passengers.

Asst. Prof. Dr Adisak has six safety recommendations for children passengers on motorcycles, 1. Find a better mode of transportation, especially with children under 2 years old; no amount of safety equipment will lessen injury; 2. Children over 2 years old should wear crash helmets; 3. Children aged less than 5 years should not sit on the back unsupported because they could fall asleep and fall off; 4. There are no statistics to prove that the use of cloth or belts and other equipment to tie the passenger to the driver increases safety; 5. Use of special seats might prevent the child from falling off or getting its legs trapped in the wheels, but it doesn’t help in accidents, presently no designs are perfect; 6. If a child is a passenger the driver should not go over 40 kilometers per hour."

Today was a good example of the stupidity of motorcycle drivers in Bangkok. On Thanon Phetburi I watched as a motorcyclist drove on the sidewalk. Then he crossed all lanes of traffic without looking, went the wrong way on a u-turn, then drove on the sidewalk in the opposite direction. Bumped into a poor peddler with a push cart (not injured). Yelled at a couple walking to get out of the way.

park in front of store entrances so no one can enter

I have lost count of the number of bicycles and motorbikes that somehow fell over blocking footpaths and doorways

both here in Thailand and Australia...oopsies!